HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who was the last elite Canadian goaltender to come out of the OHL?

Old
02-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Sticks and Pucks

vCash: 500
Who was the last elite Canadian goaltender to come out of the OHL?

It is no secret that the QMJHL has produced quite a few star goaltenders in the past few years. The WHL has produced guys like Carey Price and Cam Ward in recent times. But off the top of my head I cannot think of any star Canadian goaltenders that the OHL has produced recently. Who was the last elite goaltender from the OHL?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:04 PM
JaysCyYoung

Columbus's Steve Mason (a product of Kitchener and London) won the Calder Trophy and was a Second Team All-Star in 2008-09 before falling off the face of the Earth. Other than him though there have no been a lot of quality OHL tenders.

Kirk McLean played a couple of quality seasons with the Oshawa Generals before going on to a Stanley Cup Finals appearance in 1994 with the Vancouver Canucks. He was a Second All-Star Team selection in 1992 and won 245 career games while being in the mix for best goalie in the game at one brief point.

Sean Burke from some time ago is probably the best one that the league has produced in the last two decades. He was a three-time All-Star Game selection and won 324 games over close to twenty NHL campaigns, and finished in the top ten in save percentage on four occasions.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:46 PM
reckoning

Aside from Burke and McLean, the only OHL graduates who have won more than 150 NHL games since 1990 are Manny Legace, Ron Tugnutt and Jeff Hackett - none of whom would ever be considered even remotely close to elite.

It's actually quite startling.

reckoning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:51 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Aside from Burke and McLean, the only OHL graduates who have won more than 150 NHL games since 1990 are Manny Legace, Ron Tugnutt and Jeff Hackett - none of whom would ever be considered even remotely close to elite.

It's actually quite startling.
Wow, it really is.

Tugnutt and Hackett belong to the same group as Burke and McLean - guys who played in the OHL in the 1985-88 period.

Since that group passed through, it's just shockingly terrible. Legace is the best guy by a country mile born between 1970 and 1985. Next best is ... Dan Cloutier?

But trends like this sometimes happen ... after Eric Desjardins and Patrice Brisebois, it was about another 15 years before a good francophone defender came out of the QMJHL.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
that bad?

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:39 PM
JaysCyYoung

The only two noteworthy starters that were produced by the OHL (other than the aforementioned Mason) that are currently playing in the NHL are Craig Anderson and Mike Smith. The OHL's track record with respect to producing and developing goaltenders has been abysmal over the past two decades to say the least.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:15 PM
BM67

Vanbiesbrouck

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:16 PM
McGuillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
Vanbiesbrouck
Not Canadian.

McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:35 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

You may have to go back as far as Bernie Parent who played in the OHA for a true elite goalie from that league.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Sticks and Pucks

So anyone know what's up in the province of Ontario when it comes to developing goaltenders? I mean, the province next to them is producing Hall of Famer goaltenders every 5-10 years. It seems to me that talent can't suck so bad for so long. Ontarians must be doing something wrong in developing these guys.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
But trends like this sometimes happen ... after Eric Desjardins and Patrice Brisebois, it was about another 15 years before a good francophone defender came out of the QMJHL.
Kris Letang you mean? That's the first name that popped into my mind, although he just played in the QMJHL, he isn't a francophone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckmaster12345 View Post
So anyone know what's up in the province of Ontario when it comes to developing goaltenders? I mean, the province next to them is producing Hall of Famer goaltenders every 5-10 years. It seems to me that talent can't suck so bad for so long. Ontarians must be doing something wrong in developing these guys.
My thought is that Patrick Roy influenced so many younger netminders that it almost did a ripple effect. I am pretty sure Brodeur, Fleury and Luongo would all point to Roy at some point in their careers. Since then Brodeur was king for a long time. He played in New Jersey, but was a fixture on the Olympic teams. Maybe that influenced more French goalies? I don't know, but it sure didn't help Ontarians.

Brian Finley was actually supposed to be pretty good, but then again he's just another example of what was wrong with the 1999 draft. Patrick Desrochers was highly regarded as well at one time. Neither panned out.

It is really puzzling.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:57 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Kris Letang you mean? That's the first name that popped into my mind, although he just played in the QMJHL, he isn't a francophone.
(...)

Mother: Christianne Letang is French-Canadian.
Biological father: Claude Fouquet
Step-father: Michel Pépin

Played his midget at Collège Antoine-Girouard in Ste-Hyacinthe.

He's as much a French-Canadian as Alexander Burrows or Donald Brashear...

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:38 PM
reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
Vanbiesbrouck
Good catch. Can't believe I forgot him.

reckoning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Quote:
huh?? Letang is a francophone , he's always giving french interviews and french is his first language , it's obvious.Marc-edouard Vlasic is also fracophone (his name doesnt really sound francophone).Jonathan Toews is not quebecois but is also francophone and his mother insist his name isn't Jonathan pronounced in english but Jonathan pronounced in french and yes there's a differance.Dan Boyle is also francophone.These guys have weird names for francophones but hey , it happens.Just like anglophone with french names.That's what happens when two ''nation'' or whatever lives close to each other for centuries.

I also know Letang's cousin (female) and they are pretty much all francophones in his family.

Last edited by Jafar: 02-07-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:30 PM
MXD

Quote:

... Have you ever heard the guy give an interview?!?!?! The guy's english is as broken as Don Cherry's record.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:33 PM
vadim sharifijanov

jamie storr was supposed to be an elite goaltender from the OHL. last goalie from that league that i remember going into the draft as a can't-miss future star.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

while the OHL may not be pumping goalies out, Canada in general hasn't really produced a notable goaltender since Carey Price.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
huh?? Letang is a francophone , he's always giving french interviews and french is his first language , it's obvious.Marc-edouard Vlasic is also fracophone (his name doesnt really sound francophone).Jonathan Toews is not quebecois but is also francophone and his mother insist his name isn't Jonathan pronounced in english but Jonathan pronounced in french and yes there's a differance.Dan Boyle is also francophone.These guys have weird names for francophones but hey , it happens.Just like anglophone with french names.That's what happens when two ''nation'' or whatever lives close to each other for centuries.

I also know Letang's cousin (female) and they are pretty much all francophones in his family.
I assume it's the "J" that's different?

02-07-2012, 11:24 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I'm pretty sure Toews is bilingual, his dad being an anglophone descendant of German/Dutch immigrants and given that he went to an anglophone high school and an American college I imagine English is probably more natural to him than French.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:26 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I assume it's the "J" that's different?
zho-na-tuNNNNN

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 07:29 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm pretty sure Toews is bilingual, his dad being an anglophone descendant of German/Dutch immigrants and given that he went to an anglophone high school and an American college I imagine English is probably more natural to him than French.
As a good majority of French-Canadians, he is bilingual.

But in his case, his maternal language literally is French !!!

One example: (skip the pub)

http://enbeauce.tv/video/221/Jonatha...les-Beaucerons

He did his first year of secondary school in French, before leaving for Minnesota.

One rule when growing up was that he had to speak French with his mother, even if she is perfectly bilingual.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

the actual definition of francophone is based on the primary language spoken in the house growing up. In certain cases such as Letang its obvious he is francophone. In some cases like Toews I'd imagine he is an anglophone who can speak very good french.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:16 AM
tony d
The man

Canadian goaltending is down all over not just the OHL. Carey Price was the last true really good Canadian goalie to break into the NHL.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:21 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
the actual definition of francophone is based on the primary language spoken in the house growing up. In certain cases such as Letang its obvious he is francophone. In some cases like Toews I'd imagine he is an anglophone who can speak very good french.

It all depends if he spoke more often with his dad rather than his mom.

As said previously, one house rule was that he had to speak French with his mom, a good Beauceronne...

EDIT: Toews himself said that most conversation at the dinner table was in French, even if some of what was said had to be translated to his father (who does understand French, but with some holes in that understanding).

Old
02-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Canadiens1958

Assumptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Never safe to assume primary language based on family name especially those coming from Quebec.

Quebec has plenty of families with Scottish or Irish family names who speak very little English. Generations back their male ancestors integrated into the community and the family name survived due to male off-spring. Yet they speak primarily French.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote