HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now vs Future

View Poll Results: What group are you part of?
Go for it now? 19 50.00%
Get a rental? 10 26.32%
Don't give up the future? 9 23.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-07-2012, 11:42 PM
wadesworld

vCash: 500
Quote:
I also don't see how adding a guy like carter or ryan or whoever hurts our future? If anything I think it helps our future.
Ryan is reportedly not available. Carter has an albatross of a contract.

I'm all for adding someone too, but at the moment, there doesn't appear to be anyone available for a reasonable price.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Future. I don't feel compelled to go out and spend, we can do this the Predator way. We've done it since '03/'04. I'd rather stay the course and play like we have. Make the playoffs every year since the firesale. Draft outward. Yeah, we'll always need a "top six/gamechanging forward but that's okay with me. This franchise needs to build slowly. We don't need to try and take leaps and bounds like other franchises.

Stay the course.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Ryan is reportedly not available. Carter has an albatross of a contract.

I'm all for adding someone too, but at the moment, there doesn't appear to be anyone available for a reasonable price.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Carter's contract. I suppose Rinne's contract is an albatross as well? Carter's contract is market value for a top 3 forward. Perhaps we are so scared of a contract like his due to the rarity of those contracts on our team when, in reality, many teams have contracts like this.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Top 6 Spaling

As others have said, we need to get help if we can, but not overpay for it.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:23 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Carter's contract. I suppose Rinne's contract is an albatross as well? Carter's contract is market value for a top 3 forward. Perhaps we are so scared of a contract like his due to the rarity of those contracts on our team when, in reality, many teams have contracts like this.
I think the problem with Carter's contract is two-fold:
1) it means if we sign Weber and Sutes that will make 4 huge contracts - and that's tough enough in those big markets to spend like that much less a traditionally smaller market.
2) he's young, but.... look at the year he's having. Sure, it sucks to be in cbus, but he's a professional; he signed the contract; he needs to live up to it. Has he lost it? Is he just a head-case?

Now, the first is a risk no matter who we sign if it's a true top3 F, no question. but the 2nd - Seems a tough call to determine if HE is the guy to take a chance on. This isn't the NYR where we can tuck Avery's contract on our farm team.

If Poile can get a discount on his value because he's pouting and he has an albatross contract then I personally would think about it. But a market-value trade - I'm not sure I'd do that.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:23 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
By the same token, Vancouver had at least 2 goals averted by lucky plays, so it goes both ways.
Kesslers goal was legit ahh you can argue that it was a soft let in by Peks. However the other 2 goals were straight up mistakes by the Preds. Bad line change by the team and horrible position by Klein on one. The other reckless play by the Preds D who left the front of the net wide open with Sedin standing infront of it. Where was the center? Well, he was behind the net pressuring a guy against the boards? Where was the D??? anybody got an answer? Kleins line was on d.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:32 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
I think the problem with Carter's contract is two-fold:
1) it means if we sign Weber and Sutes that will make 4 huge contracts - and that's tough enough in those big markets to spend like that much less a traditionally smaller market.
2) he's young, but.... look at the year he's having. Sure, it sucks to be in cbus, but he's a professional; he signed the contract; he needs to live up to it. Has he lost it? Is he just a head-case?
The contract would be fine, if it were for a real high performing and consistent first line center. Carter's career and reputation make it hard to swallow. Not the cost, just the cost vs. benefit.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:37 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I do not think Carter's contract is an issue at all. I thik it is a between the ears thing with him and the disconnect that goes with it.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
The contract would be fine, if it were for a real high performing and consistent first line center. Carter's career and reputation make it hard to swallow. Not the cost, just the cost vs. benefit.
He's been remarkably consistent. Averages 38 goals in the previous four seasons. He's having a rough year, but he's also been injured twice. The fact that he's still up with some of our to scorers, despite missing big chunks of time, is encouraging.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote