HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paajarvi Recalled

Old
02-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Eytinge

vCash: 500
It's funny how quick this board is to praise MPS over one good play when it literally took Gagner scoring 8 points in a game before many let up on him.

It was a step in the right direction for Paajarvi, but he needs to understand that if he doesn't drive the net with speed every game, he will continue to be a non-factor most nights.

Last edited by Eytinge: 02-09-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:59 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Its funny how quick this board is to praise MPS over one good play when it literally took Gagner scoring 8 points in a game before many let up on him.

It was an step in the right direction for Paajarvi, but he needs to understand that if he doesn't drive the net with speed every game, he will continue to be a non-factor most nights.
I think he understands that.

It's just going to take awhile to reprogram himself so he can do it while running on instinct and not overthinking it, like he is now.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Its funny how quick this board is to praise MPS over one good play when it literally took Gagner scoring 8 points in a game before many let up on him.

It was a step in the right direction for Paajarvi, but he needs to understand that if he doesn't drive the net with speed every game, he will continue to be a non-factor most nights.
Shiny new toy syndrome.

Yeah, sounds like bad news for Horcoff and Belanger on HFOil. lol.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:23 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
It's funny how quick this board is to praise MPS over one good play when it literally took Gagner scoring 8 points in a game before many let up on him.

One guy was running in place for 4+ years and the other is mired in a horrific sophomore slump and many thought that calling him up right now was a mistake, not exactly apples and apples now is it?

02-09-2012, 03:30 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Ask yourself why on Earth we'd put RNH, one of the best pure passers in the game today with Omark, who has 5NHL goals, and Paajarv, who hasn't scored a goal since April?

This would not only be an absolute waste of RNH it would be a demoralizing and overwhelming assignment. Like it was for Gagner last season. WAY too much inexperience and lack of support on that line.

Its one thing to put 3 stellar kids like Hall, Eberle, RNH together. Those kids can swim. But to expect RNH on his own to be able to row hard with deadweights late Omark and Paajarvi is taking the cake.
I'd actually be a bit excited to see a line of PRV-RNH-Omark, buuuuut, I think that it is way to risky of an experiment. If we would be where Columbus is at the moment I would have been on board for it but as stands now it's just not worth it. I'd give that line a 20% chance of success, no more, and if it's not a success then it'll probably spell distaster.

Ah, and just to go off topic for a sec. I wonder if Gagner will be able to double his points total from Oct-Jan in Feb alone.
Oct-Jan: 43 GP - 5 G - 17 A - 21 P
Feb: 4 GP - 8 G - 6 A - 14 P
He needs 7 P in 9 games. Looking at his current form it should be a walk in the park but you never know. I just think it would be cool...

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 04:41 AM
SChan*

Quote:
Not playing with Omark is the best thing thats happened to Gagner in years. Lets not even go there.
really, so was it omarks fault when gagner slumped for the first 30 games of this season too?

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I'd actually be a bit excited to see a line of PRV-RNH-Omark, buuuuut, I think that it is way to risky of an experiment. If we would be where Columbus is at the moment I would have been on board for it but as stands now it's just not worth it. I'd give that line a 20% chance of success, no more, and if it's not a success then it'll probably spell distaster
What's the worst that could happen? We'd miss the playoffs? Well, we're going to do that anyway, so why not? Paajarvi and Omark with Gagner was pretty good last year. Fun to watch if nothing else. And despite being a big Gagner fan, I don't think anyone will argue that RNH is a much better playmaker than Gagner. And he's pretty good defensively (as is Paajarvi). I for one would enjoy seeing it for a few games.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenze View Post
really, so was it omarks fault when gagner slumped for the first 30 games of this season too?
He wasn;t slumping for the first 30 games of this season....

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:55 AM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
He wasn;t slumping for the first 30 games of this season....
There was poll here showing the majority wanted to get rid of him

Old
02-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
The majority were misguided. As myself and others indicated at the time. As to your earlier question Gagner at the start of this season was recovering from injury and playing with guys like Paajarvi and Belanger. Which did impact his production.

He's been fine since then with 34pts in his last 34games. So one could say first 13games(not 30) where Gagner struggled.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
What's the worst that could happen? We'd miss the playoffs? Well, we're going to do that anyway, so why not? Paajarvi and Omark with Gagner was pretty good last year. Fun to watch if nothing else. And despite being a big Gagner fan, I don't think anyone will argue that RNH is a much better playmaker than Gagner. And he's pretty good defensively (as is Paajarvi). I for one would enjoy seeing it for a few games.
It was awful. A line that was getting owned in GA and wasn't producing enough. Gagners production actually went down during his stint with Omark and Paajarvi. His +/- went from -3 to -16.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
One guy was running in place for 4+ years and the other is mired in a horrific sophomore slump and many thought that calling him up right now was a mistake, not exactly apples and apples now is it?
Again this is taking huge poetic license with your wording. "running in place"? That suggests getting nowhere. How about one player was making a valuable contribution each year and produced as much pts as anybody on the entire club in his first 4yrs in the league? How many young players accomplish that?

Next with Paajarvi you denote "horrific slump" seemingly as if to divest himself from responsibility as in its just this horrific slump.

Finally, I'd think that all the comments about Gagner not progressing would finally meet their resting place. I've always said have Gagner on a club where theres a little hope, and a little help, and watch him progress.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:24 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2851
Quote:
Because hf polls mean so much.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:32 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:

This is my thought as well. Good game, let's see some more.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:34 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Just listened to PRV`s AHL coach on the radio. Says they`ve been really stressing him going hard to the net, and he has been doing it really well on their team. Obviously not a lot of goals are resulting from it, but how many assists are happening with him charging the goalie? Plus, their team is winning with him playing a key role. I hope to see some of that drive in him this time around and hopefully he can get a bounce or 2 from crashing the net. His speed should be lethal with Eberle and Gagner. Now let`s see if he can translate that to results.
Quote:
NOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Jebus Keep Paajarvi's stone hands and soft game far away from these players. Hall complements that line fine.

What would Paajarvi really add to it other than dousing it with stone cold water..
One partial shift with Gagner with PRV crashing the net and Gagner scores. I know it's only one game and one partial shift, but results are results.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:54 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
One partial shift with Gagner with PRV crashing the net and Gagner scores. I know it's only one game and one partial shift, but results are results.
gagner and paajarvi showed good chemistry last year as well, bottom line this team needs more than one line that can be a threat so maybe try paajarvi with gagner andeberle and see if hall can't coax something out of hemsky again.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:30 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Because hf polls mean so much.
And replacements opinion that omark is the fault for everything means so much also?

Old
02-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
And replacements opinion that omark is the fault for everything means so much also?
You can ask me to break it down for you or you can offer snide comments. Your choice.

In the meantime I'll note that Hall and Eberle, while being supremely gifted players, realize the importance of a a quick cycle game and distributing the puck to all linemates, for instance Gagner.
Omark on the other hand is the very opposite. Somebody that retains the puck even when he shouldn't and does not distribute it nearly enough. Omark runs pretty much a static shop as does Hemsky. Gagner is all about the motion, down low motion, quick cycle. Gagner worked this to perfection even with players like Cogs and Nillson.

Omark and Gagner's game is NOT a match.

From my standpoint the unfortunate thing when Gagner is playing with Omark is Gagner rarely has the puck. Which is a disservice and not proper use of his skills.

Hope that clarifies a bit.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
gagner and paajarvi showed good chemistry last year as well, bottom line this team needs more than one line that can be a threat so maybe try paajarvi with gagner andeberle and see if hall can't coax something out of hemsky again.
I would actually like to see

X - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Paajarvi

I think Paajarvi plays his best hockey on the right wing and he has a familiarity with Gagner from last season.

Having all 3 kids together on one line means that we will get rosted on the road every game. It will force the opposition to pick their poison.

X = Dustbin Penner.

No joke I think he could do very well on a line with those two kids, and provide the size needed in our top 6.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:59 PM
SChan*

Quote:
You can ask me to break it down for you or you can offer snide comments. Your choice.

In the meantime I'll note that Hall and Eberle, while being supremely gifted players, realize the importance of a a quick cycle game and distributing the puck to all linemates, for instance Gagner.
Omark on the other hand is the very opposite. Somebody that retains the puck even when he shouldn't and does not distribute it nearly enough. Omark runs pretty much a static shop as does Hemsky. Gagner is all about the motion, down low motion, quick cycle. Gagner worked this to perfection even with players like Cogs and Nillson.

Omark and Gagner's game is NOT a match.

From my standpoint the unfortunate thing when Gagner is playing with Omark is Gagner rarely has the puck. Which is a disservice and not proper use of his skills.

Hope that clarifies a bit.
clarifies nothing as omark was the best player of that line down the stretch last year.

Old
02-09-2012, 03:15 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Again this is taking huge poetic license with your wording. "running in place"? That suggests getting nowhere. How about one player was making a valuable contribution each year and produced as many pts as anybody on the entire club in his first 4yrs in the league? How many young players accomplish that?
Hear hear . And lets add that he had the mantle of savior thrust upon him at eighteen , was flip flopped up and down the lineup , played out of position and expected to carry lesser players night in and night out . He also had to break into the league on the worst team in the league and deal with three different coaches .

Quote:
Next with Paajarvi you denote "horrific slump" seemingly as if to divest himself from responsibility as in its just this horrific slump.
At this point the less I say about MPS the better . He made two or three plays last night and would have had his first goal if Crawford doesn't make an amazing save . It was by far the best game I've seen from him all season which isn't saying much .

Quote:
Finally, I'd think that all the comments about Gagner not progressing would finally meet their resting place. I've always said have Gagner on a club where there's a little hope, and a little help, and watch him progress.
Gagner is the hope on this team . Its been obvious to anyone with eyes that this is a kid who will have a long and prolific NHL career . He's a smart , crafty player that has worked diligently at his weaknesses and the drive to succeed is clear in every interview he gives . Basically he's exactly the kind of guy you want to have on your team .... too bad he's not three inches taller and fifteen pounds heavier .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:20 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post

X - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Paajarvi

I think Paajarvi plays his best hockey on the right wing and he has a familiarity with Gagner from last season.

Having all 3 kids together on one line means that we will get rosted on the road every game. It will force the opposition to pick their poison.

X = Dustbin Penner.

No joke I think he could do very well on a line with those two kids, and provide the size needed in our top 6.
I was thinking the same thing with the second line.

And as for Penner, it's so crazy it just might work.

But, the question is, will Renney actually play Horcoff on the 3rd line? I highly doubt it.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:24 PM
SChan*

how does paajarvi gets penciled for the 2nd line when he got 5 assists on the year? Does not a player have to earn anything in oilers these days?

Old
02-09-2012, 03:27 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2851
Quote:
how does paajarvi gets penciled for the 2nd line when he got 5 assists on the year? Does not a player have to earn anything in oilers these days?
There is no other options. You'd know that if you actually paid attention around here.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post

X - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Paajarvi

X = Dustbin Penner.

Why not?:
Penner Gagner Eberle
Hall RNH, Paajarvi

I know this too is putting a lot on RNH but from what I've seen Gagner-Eberle are well matched and with a Sedin type cycle game going on. Penner being a downlow player and whose size would fill out that pair.

Similary RNH and Hall seem well suited to each other. RNH as a setup guy and a drag racer on either side to forward the puck to.

The trouble with any of these configurations is Paajarvi being on it. He's just not topsix material at this point. He's arguably not even an NHL player right now.