HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #52: St. Louis Blues Vs Ottawa Senators | 6:30 CST | FSNMW

Old
02-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
So about Dags and Arnott...

McRae?
McRae seems like the most natural replacement for Arnott (if he's going to be out more than a couple of games), but Rutheford just tweeted that either Grachev or Cracknell will get the call-up. I love me some Cracknell, but I'm honestly surprised that the team seems to prefer Grachev over McRae.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Stillflexin*

Elliott faces 29 shots>>>>

Ottawa fans: "No wonder Elliott gets so many shutouts he barely faces any shots cuz the Blues defense is so good"

Stillflexin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:58 PM
SoulChaser17

Well Elliot did let six goals in during the All-Star game, as there was no defense.

So I don't think they're completely off base. But I mean he is still really good and made some damn good saves. Even on a breakaway or two.

SoulChaser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Stillflexin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulChaser17 View Post
Well Elliot did let six goals in during the All-Star game, as there was no defense.

So I don't think they're completely off base. But I mean he is still really good and made some damn good saves. Even on a breakaway or two.
all-star game is a bad judgement for any goaltender

Stillflexin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:21 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

We now trail the Red Wings by 3 points with two games in hand. Currently tied with the Predators with 2 games in hand, as well. We lead the Blackhawks by 4 points with a game in hand. We trail the Canucks by two points with a game in hand. We're set up beautifully. Let's go to New Jersey and get the victory!

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:23 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
McRae seems like the most natural replacement for Arnott (if he's going to be out more than a couple of games), but Rutheford just tweeted that either Grachev or Cracknell will get the call-up. I love me some Cracknell, but I'm honestly surprised that the team seems to prefer Grachev over McRae.
So the lines will/should be
Perron - Backes - Oshie
Langenbrunner - Berglund - Stewart
Grachev - Sobotka - Porter
Reaves - Nichol - Crombeen
Cracknell

Oyy. That could use some work.

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:24 PM
SoulChaser17

New Jersey has been playing ridiculously good lately. They beat the Rangers twice in their last two games...

It's gonna be a tough battle.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:26 PM
SoulChaser17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
So the lines will/should be
Perron - Backes - Oshie
Langenbrunner - Berglund - Stewart
Grachev - Sobotka - Porter
Reaves - Nichol - Crombeen
Cracknell

Oyy. That could use some work.
...Yeah I'm not hopeful. Stupid injuries leaving a huge hole in our lines.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
The NJ game is the type of game Halak can steal.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:53 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

For all the people complaining about Stewart, did you miss when he was motoring and hitting in the first period and forechecking so well that he forced the turnover that led to the first goal?

Dude is far from immune to criticism, but I think people see what they want to see.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:01 PM
PavelDatsyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
For all the people complaining about Stewart, did you miss when he was motoring and hitting in the first period and forechecking so well that he forced the turnover that led to the first goal?

Dude is far from immune to criticism, but I think people see what they want to see.
Still was not an asset out there. Passable sure, but I would still categorize tonight's performance as being a passenger.

To be fair though, none of the forwards really had a good game. It was pretty sloppy all around. Oshie and Backes, even Perron, despite his goals, weren't really dominating pace and flow.

I thought Barret Jackman stole the show tonight and Polak was really good as well. Petro had a strong game also. It was kind of just a game where the Blues capitalized on their few chances (got lucky) and Ottawa couldn't score.

This is one of those games where variance is evening out, since there were a few games earlier in the year that the Blues dominated but got the short end of the stick.

Seriously though, no one is going to bring up Jackman's game since he doesn't play a sexy style and won't make any "great" plays per se, but didn't make a bad one and made plenty of good ones. Honestly felt more comfortable with Jackman out tonight than Petro and that's saying something.

PavelDatsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:14 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelDatsyuk View Post
Still was not an asset out there. Passable sure, but I would still categorize tonight's performance as being a passenger.

To be fair though, none of the forwards really had a good game. It was pretty sloppy all around. Oshie and Backes, even Perron, despite his goals, weren't really dominating pace and flow.

I thought Barret Jackman stole the show tonight and Polak was really good as well. Petro had a strong game also. It was kind of just a game where the Blues capitalized on their few chances (got lucky) and Ottawa couldn't score.

This is one of those games where variance is evening out, since there were a few games earlier in the year that the Blues dominated but got the short end of the stick.

Seriously though, no one is going to bring up Jackman's game since he doesn't play a sexy style and won't make any "great" plays per se, but didn't make a bad one and made plenty of good ones. Honestly felt more comfortable with Jackman out tonight than Petro and that's saying something.
Like I said, not immune to criticism, but not bad. Stewart wasn't a passenger on that goal and he made a couple of very good defensive plays, breaking up passes into the slot to dangerous players. Not his best game by any stretch, but, like you said, none of the forwards stood out other than Perron's finish.

I think it has a lot more to do with expectations. When people are looking only at what they most want to see out of him (goalscoring), they miss the good plays that don't check that box. As a result, Stewart is either awesome when he directly generates chances, or he's trash when he's not doing that. The quality of a player's performance is rarely binary like that.

I just don't want people to miss what he has begun to do right in the past fifteen games because they're so intent on criticizing how he doesn't meet their expectations.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:21 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
I just don't want people to miss what he has begun to do right in the past fifteen games because they're so intent on criticizing how he doesn't meet their expectations.
A quixotic quest if ever there was...

Best of luck my friend!

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:46 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Meh, Stewart averages about 2 shots and 1 hit a game and almost never blocks shots. Turning it into "people criticizing Stewart just don't see the game deeply enough, all their critique is shallow" is more false than criticizing Stewart.

Tonight the whole team effort was off so singling him out isn't realistic in this particular thread.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:02 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Meh, Stewart averages about 2 shots and 1 hit a game and almost never blocks shots. Turning it into "people criticizing Stewart just don't see the game deeply enough, all their critique is shallow" is more false than criticizing Stewart.

Tonight the whole team effort was off so singling him out isn't realistic in this particular thread.
You know that's not what I said. I didn't say anything about not seeing the game deeply enough. But there's been some bitter hatred towards him and he's not playing that badly. Compared to expectations? Sure. And I'd say a lot of those expectations are fair. However, he has improved a lot of his game over the past fifteen games or so and it seems like the popular thing is just to talk about how bad he is.

And what I'm saying is that singling him out when nobody is great is exactly what people do when they are being overly critical. It seems like people rationalize that Backes is usually great, so an average game is fine; whereas, Stewart is usually bad, so an average game is actually worse. It doesn't make sense.

Criticize Stewart all you like. Dude deserves good criticism. But just railing on how he's terrible and needs to be traded and missing when he does something right is dysfunctional.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:10 AM
SoulChaser17

Stewart and Berglund

They really need to unleash their potential. Release THE WARRIOR in their hearts.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:25 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
I think Arnott is day to day, while the call-up is a probable scratch or a replacement for D'Agostini if his head injury turns out to be a concussion.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:53 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
You know that's not what I said. I didn't say anything about not seeing the game deeply enough. But there's been some bitter hatred towards him and he's not playing that badly. Compared to expectations? Sure. And I'd say a lot of those expectations are fair. However, he has improved a lot of his game over the past fifteen games or so and it seems like the popular thing is just to talk about how bad he is.

And what I'm saying is that singling him out when nobody is great is exactly what people do when they are being overly critical. It seems like people rationalize that Backes is usually great, so an average game is fine; whereas, Stewart is usually bad, so an average game is actually worse. It doesn't make sense.

Criticize Stewart all you like. Dude deserves good criticism. But just railing on how he's terrible and needs to be traded and missing when he does something right is dysfunctional.
Well I didn't quote you and as I said, I don't think Stewart should be singled out tonight I said nothing to criticize Stewart related to the game. I do think there is a dynamic on Blues boards here and elsewhere that goes like this:

1. People start accurately begin seeing and commenting on certain players who aren't playing well over long stretches of time. (I was one of the first to talk about Berglund and Stewart, I said they should trade them for Bobby Ryan who now has as many goals as the two combined and more if you take away their ENGs.)

2. Then for awhile reasonable others start speaking up and noticing the same thing.

3. Then it filters down to the lowest common denominator group who lives for that kind of trolling/confrontation and they take it to absurd levels. But these are stupid people acting out some kind of dysfunction, and it has literally nothing one way or another to do with the actual subject matter whether the player does or does not deserve criticism.

4. Then the older, longtime fan crew begins attacking those posters (who are gnats that should be expected), and everyone who criticizes the original players is lumped in together. So the original critique, which remains valid and unchanged, has now been caricatured as something only (insert ad hominem here) posters make while the wiser posters know better and more and they begin to defend the player(s) almost reflexively.

It's a crap dynamic.

But it happens over and over and over. IMO it happens because the older and wiser crowd takes the bait of the trolling gnats every time. EVERY TIME. But it winds up being a giant disservice everywhere. And it's primarily the fault of the older and wiser crowd.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Fred Murtz

FSMW Blues Live pre game part 1

FSMW Blues Live pre game part 2, Darren Pang's sister's backyard ice rink in Ottawa

FSMW Blues Live pre game part 3, Darren Pang & John Kelly, view from the booth.

FSMW Blues Live pre game part 4, Flashback to last win in Ottawa 26 Jan 2000, David Perron, Lines for tonight's game.

FSMW Blues Live pre game part 5, Blues new lines. Jamie Langenbrunner.

Porter goal

Crombeen vs Konopka

1st Perron goal

Dagger getting hurt, concussion

Alfresson goal

End of 1st intermission, 1st period hightlights, Matt D'Agostini injury

Perron 2nd goal

End of 2nd intermission, Perron interview

End of 2nd intermission, In Case You Missed It, highlights of first 2 periods.

Reaves vs Neil scrum, Nichols and Carkner, Jackman

FSMW post game Blues Live part 1, game highlights

FSMW post game Blues Live part 2, Flashback Nov 19 2010 Sens game highlights with Elliott in net. Impact Player of game Elliott interview

FSMW post game Blues Live part 3, 3 stars of game, D'Agostini update, final take

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:26 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillflexin View Post
You mean Perron did.
Are we really going to play this game?

The team scored 3 goals...and 3 different lines produced them. That's exactly what this place has been whimpering for the last 6 or so games. Now that we get it, all that we can do is complain that "our offense had no flow", or that "we didn't get enough shots", or whatever.

The Blues:
-Won in regulation
-On the road
-Scoring 3 goals
-While only giving up 1 goal
-Even though they were shorthanded because of an early injury
-And ended up playing without 4 of their regular top 9 forwards

It appears to me that there should be a lot of positives to take from this game, but you would never know it from reading this thread. The worst 10 game stretch in the 39 games the Blues have played under Hitchcock is 5-3-2 (a .600 pace), but you would never know it from reading our board. I've never seen so much drama stem from so much success. Given the Blues recent history, you would think this forum would be jumping for joy and brimming with optimisim. Not so much, apparently.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:43 AM
BlueDream

Kinda bad that this is the first time we've scored 3 goals since January 21 (although the break did take up a lot of that time).

It doesn't even feel like we won tonight given the poor performance. I'll take it, but I gotta say, I'm gonna be a little worried about our offense down the stretch here - especially if the concussed players are out for a decent amount of time.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Fred Murtz

One more

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:50 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

It was a weird game. They averaged 6 shots a period and had almost no sustained pressure, both of which looked way different than the average game. Ordinarily they get all this pressure, all these great scoring chances, but are unable to finish. Here they had almost no pressure but got a great deflection on the first goal and two sick little finishes by Perron on the final two. 3 goals on 18 shots? That's a .833 save pct. gift from the opponents.

Winning on the road is always good but the Blues play well on the road under Hitchcock when it's not Detroit or Nashville. Plus, Ottawa is in freefall. We caught them perfectly. And they played like a team in freefall. They allowed the two early goals, almost like they expected that result. But then a curious thing happened. The Blues stopped skating as hard and Ottawa started to build some momentum shift by shift. By the end of the first period they'd outshot the Blues and they converted a carry-over PP early in the second. Then the Blues seemed like they were in trouble, but Oshie stripped Karlsson, Backes made a nice little pass and Perron finished yet again. After that, Ottawa kind of deflated once again the way a team mired in slump gets down on itself. The Blues reasserted defensive control and were able to generally keep the Sens from being dangerous the rest of the way. It was a defensive d-man's game and Jackman played a fine, standout game. That third goal was so timely to change the momentum. If it goes the other way, Blues would have been in serious trouble.

Hopefully Ottawa breaks loose in the next one and pastes Nashville.

Despite the 10-0-2 record against the East, New Jersey is likely to be a much different story. The Devils are playing some good hockey. Kovalchuk and Parise have been awesome of late and this kid Henrique has been having one of the best rookie years in the NHL. Other than Boston having their number, they've been on a 19-7-2 run for 40pts in the same span that the Blues have been 17-6-5 for 39pts.

I think this is one of those games Halak's going to have to steal for the Blues to win, given where the Blues now are with injuries up front. The Devils have a killer PK and the Blues have a putrid PP. Devils are 7-for-22 on the PP lately and the Blues have allowed 6 goals on the last 19 chances against. Maybe Backes and Oshie can follow Perron and break out of the mini-slump they've been in. Heck, maybe Stewart could even score for the first time in eleven games.

Old
02-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Blueshockey21

Saw the score and read the thread and couldn't be more confused, no im joking but admittedly not a great performance from the boys, but there are a lot of factors that contribute to this. Ottawa coming off a six game losing streak playing at home, who just saw their starting goalie who has started in 49 games get pulled.

Blueshockey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

I agree not a great performance, but a road win, finally more than 1 goal, overall I am happy with it. I feel it makes up for all the times they worked so hard and out played their opponent and didn't win.

I don't have the dislike for Stewart most have, I haven't given up on him yet. Certainly not his best or living up to expectations but I haven't jumped on the "trade him now" bandwagon.

The injuries have me nervous. Would like to get at least one of them back ASAP.

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote