HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Frans Neilsen SIGNS EXTENSION **4 yrs, $11 Million**

Old
02-07-2012, 06:53 PM
MTK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Call me crazy, but I think Bailey can insert himself into the 2nd line. Been playing really well lately, and I think he can fair well playing on the 2nd line, with Frans on the 3rd, and maybe Cizikas on the 4th.
Frans will be the 3rd line center. As much as I have liked Baileys game this year and I believe he could play 2nd line center, I think he may be traded and I can see PA possible traded too.

If we sign PA and he has played very well this year, we essentially have the same Top 6 who are not a playoff team. Maybe squeek into the playoffs but will not get very far.

I can see us moving PA and Bailey possibly. I wouldn't mind us trading Nelson in a deal , if he is clearly trying to get a player for this team. There are only so many draft picks we can keep acquiring in every trade.

This is just my opinion

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:54 PM
SouthShore91

Well at the very least we can lock up any shootout for the next 4 years!

SouthShore91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:55 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Frans is a solid 2-way guy. Around .5ppg and very responsible. A team friendly deal if you ask me. When a guy like Bergie got much more in Fla, you know Nielsen couldve capitalized as a UFA but I recall him saying he wanted to stay on the Island and was only looking for around 2.5-2.75mil bc that's what he felt he was worth. Excellent news.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:56 PM
steveat

I don't get it..I was expecting people to be upset because we didn't trade him. Almost everyone was against Frans..I'm fine with him.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 06:56 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sweetener View Post
very happy about this. i like franny alot. now if theyd only move bailey to wing and bring another center. hopefully this means strome will be given some to develop.
Agreed, I am thinking that Bailey will be on our 3rd line wing going into next season, and hoping to see us sign a #2 center in free agency.

WangMustGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Isles Junkie

As a 3rd line center I like it
as a 2nd line center I hate it.

Get this team a real 2nd line center.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:03 PM
StrongIslanders90

Awsome!!!!!! Good job Garth......now we need a #2 Centre....Frans will be best if hes our #3 going foward...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:05 PM
TheIslesFan

vCash: 50
Awesomeeeee

TheIslesFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:05 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

good signing. good money. im not crazy about him in the 2nd line role, but hes an excellent 3rd line C. with strome comming soon, maybe bailey gets traded for a impact D man.

nah im kidding, id rather us see if bailey will b anything than rush strome.

bigtim1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:25 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Good deal, since I was expecting 3+ a year. Don't like that his contract expires in the same year as Okposo and Grabner (but who knows if they'll still be on the Isles).

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:39 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
As a 3rd line center I like it
as a 2nd line center I hate it.

Get this team a real 2nd line center.
Why not use Frans on third line wing? We need more size at center.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Why not use Frans on third line wing? We need more size at center.
Garth gave him his "word: that he will and must play center . In reality he probably did

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:52 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Not a bad deal, I am very concerned though with the fact that we are bringing back Tavares-Nielsen-Bailey down the middle next year.
Yup. That's one way of reading this, which doesn't leave the best taste in my mouth.

On the fence about this one, Nielsen isn't big or strong enough to pay a shutdown role, nor productive enough to play a 2nd-line role.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:36 PM
isle 24

Great News!!

isle 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:11 PM
19 in a row

great news less than $3M avg per year? nice....

maybe i am in the minority but in 2013-2014 to have this up the middle?

1) JT
2) strome
3) frans
4) bailey

maybe get a vet with a year or 2 left on contract to fill gap next year.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:12 PM
JKP

What a nice day. New Van Halen album kicks ass, Frans resigns for a good deal and the Isles shut out Philly in Philly. Sweet!

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Fantom

This is a very fair deal for both sides.
Lets hope he is not forced to play second line time next season. he belong on the third line

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:18 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

That's a good deal. It also means they need to move PA now. We can't keep with the munchkin squad for the next 4-5 years.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:21 PM
mitchy22

I'm OK with the deal being made. The terms are fine. The contract is movable if necessary. However, his play this season really didn't deserve that much security in years. The situation still required us to make sure one of PAP and Nielsen was signed before the end of the season with all of the contracts expiring on defense. No way you can risk going into the off-season with 5 major roster slots open. (3 on defense and 2 at forward with no players re-signed.)

Still, the issue is still the makeup of our forward group. If we re-sign PAP, then how many slots are there really to improve the forward group? Of course, we can improve by adding at top and trickling players down to where they belong, but we've yet to do that during the rebuild.

Look at the size of the Flyers and skill on defense they have. Look at Boston. Look at even teams like Carolina and their forwards. We need a legitimate 1-2 punch down center and more size and goal scoring there. We need a 2nd line center who can generate offense when already in the offensive zone.

At this point, ANY top-6 forward would help. The right 2nd line center would make a world of difference. Bailey is signed so cheaply that he can slot at 4th line center if necessary. Until Joshn can consistently win in the dot, he's a playmaking or checking winger. So then we've got Bailey, Nielsen and PAP that are all really suited to be playmaking and/or checking wingers. Nielsen needs at least one guy on his line who can go into the corners and another guy who can shoot. All of these guys are complementary forwards at this point. The issue is that there's nothing to glue these guys to.

We have plenty of larger forward prospects in the pipeline. Sadly, we've got 2-3 years before we can hope for a real first impact from most of them. We've got large bodies in the system at center and wing. Unless the team surprises us and make a trade for a core 2nd line center (as close to 1A as possible), then keep looking at the prospect pool for our future upgrades.

I'm fine if they re-sign PAP to keep as an asset until prospects mature, but don't expect much better results from the current batch of forwards. It's a bad mix. (Mind you "I'm fine" =/= "I'm happy.") Ideally, we're making a trade or bringing in a UFA forward with an eye towards reducing the roles of certain players while adding size and goalscoring. I'd rather them have traded Nielsen. If we're going to keep him, it's necessary to get a sizable 1A/#2 center in here.

I feel like a broken record. The slow-slow rebuild seems to be the route we're taking. Garth's recent comments didn't do much to dispel my fears that we're 2-3 more years away from the end of the rebuild. I hope him and Wang surprise me. I hope they get a 1A center. I hope they get a top pairing defender. I hope they add size and mobility at the bottom of our defense. Hope isn't worth as much as action towards a hope. We need to see some ****ing action to improve the hockey club, or get used to the waiting game.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:33 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
great news less than $3M avg per year? nice....

maybe i am in the minority but in 2013-2014 to have this up the middle?

1) JT
2) strome
3) frans
4) bailey

maybe get a vet with a year or 2 left on contract to fill gap next year.
That would be brutally bad down the middle for next year. Easily the smallest group of centers in the entire league. We lack size on the wing to make up for it, and the only way that works is if we get A LOT bigger on wing. The fact that I think everyone behind JT might be more suited as a winger is not a good sign. At worst, a stopgap 2nd line center with some size who can go to the net and score goals should be a necessity (not a maybe.) Strome and Bailey both have chances of ripening into 2nd line center, but neither should be slotted for that job going into next season.

I don't want to see Strome here until he's overripe. He's got a world of skill, but look at what it took for JT to do in order to become the top player he has become. It was the strength and muscle he needed to add that made the world of difference. The strength in his skating. The ability to hold the puck. JT is the kind of player who can deal with a world of pressure on his back while learning the game, but you could still see the frustration in his first two seasons. Not everyone can do that and improve while dealing with the frustrations of not being able to be the player they think they should be because their body isn't there yet. It's safer to not apply that pressure to young players until they're physically and mentally ready for it.

Bailey is signed for dirt cheap. If he ends up 4th line center because the guys above him are better than him, so be it. If he ends up as a playmaking winger, so be it.

The issue is still improving above all of the players we already have. The issue is getting guys that makeup for the deficiencies of our forward group.

Our 5-on-5 secondary scoring SUCKS. We are a one line team. The JT line scored 70% of our ES goals in January. From line 2-4 we need to improve the mix to work better. There's some talent there, but it's like a ****** jigsaw puzzle where the pieces don't fit together and we're lacking important center pieces.

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 02-07-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: y not
mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Got to say I'm very happy with this deal from a team perspective. I think it's very fair and I'm glad that Fransie got a raise but I think after seeing the insanity that occurred July 1st last year I think he might have gotten a little bit more on the open market. Good day for Isles fans.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:57 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

I would have loved the deal if it was for 3 years. I can live with the 4th year because it's a very fair contract. Depending on how things shake up, it is a very movable contract in 2 years time when some of our premium forward prospects should be ready to start breaking into the lineup. Frankly, I expect him to be dealt before his contract is up. Am I jumping the gun or what? Congrats Frans, you earned the contract.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Still, the issue is still the makeup of our forward group. If we re-sign PAP, then how many slots are there really to improve the forward group? Of course, we can improve by adding at top and trickling players down to where they belong, but we've yet to do that during the rebuild.
Agreed.

But now that Franz is signed, I really think Snow is gonna try to move PAP. Our forward group really has to get bigger and badder.

That Neilsen, PAP, Grabs line hasn't been good at all. They're just a bad mix in my opinion. PAP and Grabner cant win a 50/50 board battle to save their life. If there is one line that can use a Ruutu type player, it's that one. Grabs' speed, Neilsen's smarts, and a Ruutu type players strength would make them a tough trio to play against that can score and defend.

I also believe that Josh Bailey isn't going anywhere as Snow and co. are committed to taking their time with him. And i agree with this... I like what I've seen from him this year. Sure some offence would be nice...but he's solid defensively and still very young. The guy just seems to get stuck playing with really crappy players (first comeau now rolston) which hasn't allowed him to make any progress. He has however, shown some chemistry with Martin who is only getting better. I'm hoping the two of them stick together and maybe Nino can get some time with them before the end of the year.

MM-JT-KO
MM-JB-NN
MG-FN- Ryan Clowe lol???

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:42 PM
isleskovalchuk

very happy with the contract, and if it doesn't work out it should be easy to move as well.

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:43 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Pap's value is at it's highest right now. He's probably the most attractive piece that Snow can peddle around the league. We need a defenseman in the worst possible way yesterday. Get on the phone Garth if you haven't already.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote