HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Frans Neilsen SIGNS EXTENSION **4 yrs, $11 Million**

Old
02-08-2012, 12:31 PM
BaileyToOkposo

vCash: 500
Im still wondering what were gna do with all these young players if we keep signing everyone to contracts.

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:46 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
Im still wondering what were gna do with all these young players if we keep signing everyone to contracts.
I don't see any young players ready to take a spot from any of the players we have signed.

I won't worry about this until Strome or Niederreiter or Kabanov or Petrov or Nelson have 30pts in 22 games in the AHL.

Cizikas, Rakhshani and Ullstrom look "close" but that likely means a full-time role in the NHL, NOT taking the team to the next level. None of these prospects are any better than Tavares, Okposo, Moulson, Parenteau, Nielsen, Grabner, Martin, Bailey. None are top six players, not yet anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
That's a great point and spot on. That's probably what I was trying to get at, but not smart enough to express.

If we come back next year with essentially the same personnel for the top lines, we are going to be in the same exact situation we are now. Our defense is more worrisome and needs to be addressed. That's why I want Paps traded and not for a draft pick, we've had enough of those. We need that mythical defenseman more than ever now.
I wrote the same thing before the last TWO off-seasons. The only improvement has come from Tavares. I'd say Grabner's worse than expected, Okposo's bounced back a bit (thanks to JT, otherwise he had 10 goals over 80 games over the past two seasons until being moved to the top line).

Tavares doesn't have unlimited upside. The improvement must come from the outside, unless Bailey has some gigantic emergence.

They need at least one (I think TWO) top nine forwards and at least TWO top four defensemen.
I'm not convinced anyone internally can fill those holes NEXT YEAR.

Oh, and they SHOULD have a goalie signed who's name doesn't end with "e-t-r-o" - that's my armchair-GM-advice!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Why in the world would you not want want to see Parenteau extended. Who in the world is going to replace his production? I can bet you anything in the world that Snow doesn't sign anyone in the off season that will produce what PA produces. Not extending him would be incredibly dumb
He's been good...no doubt. They will not be able to find a guy who can match PA's offensive numbers...But he's 28, is small, and his biggest flaw is that he does not win enough physical battles around the boards.

Replacing him with a bigger body who goes to the net and can play both ends of the rink will definitley help the Isles team game IMO. Just look at how KO helped JT's line. That used to be a line that did most of its damage off the rush and on the PP. With PAP out and KO in, they are a more complete trio. Still a threat off the rush, but most importantly they are able to grind it out and get extended zone time, making them MUCH better 5on5...because even if one of those guys lose the puck, KO is big enough and strong enough to win it back.

PAP is a good player, but in order for this team to play an all around better 5on5 team game...the isles 2nd and 3rd lines have to get bigger. And with Franz resigned...I'm thinking that leaves PAP as the odd man out...largely because of his inability to win those important board battles that allow the line to get the put out of their own end AND keep the puck in the others teams end.

But at the end of the day...as long as they win...i don't really care how they do it lol

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Lek

Send a message via AIM to Lek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovand View Post
Now could fans please show him the respect of learning to spell his freak*** name? His been playing almost 400 games for your organization and been there for six years now. It's NIELSEN. Not Neilsen, Neilson, Nilsson - it's N-i-e-l-s-e-n! How difficuelt can it be?? It's not like you just signed Paul Szczechura...
...oh...and here I just like to call him Franz

Lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Lek

Send a message via AIM to Lek
On another thought (if not mentioned)...Now that Franz is signed to a very attractive contract...would that not make him more attractive as a trading asset as well?

Lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Isles Junkie

I don't see why PAP should be the odd man out. To me Grabner should be the odd man out. He's an adequate PKer, and he has speed to spare. But he has stone hands, and is quite possibly the worst passer on the team. Very poor hockey IQ. I know he has a 5 year deal, but to me I'd definitely look to move him. Unless of course he breaks out in the 2nd half & goes on to score another 30 goals this year. But I doubt that will happen.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I don't see why PAP should be the odd man out. To me Grabner should be the odd man out. He's an adequate PKer, and he has speed to spare. But he has stone hands, and is quite possibly the worst passer on the team. Very poor hockey IQ. I know he has a 5 year deal, but to me I'd definitely look to move him. Unless of course he breaks out in the 2nd half & goes on to score another 30 goals this year. But I doubt that will happen.
See what you mean...all good points...it can go either way, but if one were to go i'd put my money on PAP. Only because Grabner is ...
a) younger (still time to improve on those weaknesses you mentioned above)
b) is already signed long-term,
c) is probably the fastest guy in the league,
d) has shown that when he's confident and healthy, he's almost unstoppable.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:03 PM
OpAck

Obviously, this has been pure speculation...but I find it a bit interesting how, during Frans' interview...when he was asked about concerns over the future of this club on Long Island...notice he didn't say "I'm hopeful they'll get something done here in Nassau County" and instead said, "I'm pretty sure that Mr. Wang is gonna find a good solution for us and hopefully...at least we're gonna stay in the New York area here." Might be nothing, I know...but it almost gives me the sense that some "behind the scenes" information is being shared with these players like JT and Frans as reassurance to sign a longer term here. 2015 is coming up fast and I'm certain these players are asking questions about what's going to happen at the tail end of their contract before they sign.

Speculation, I know...but there are now 4 "core" players signed thru the 2015-16 season...Okposo, Grabner, Nielsen, JT (and ahem, Rick)...JT and Frans signed their deals after the referendum flopped. I dunno, they're either doing a good job of putting pressure on the County...or, there's a legitimate agreement in place for this team to play elsewhere in the NY area.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovand View Post
Now could fans please show him the respect of learning to spell his freak*** name? His been playing almost 400 games for your organization and been there for six years now. It's NIELSEN. Not Neilsen, Neilson, Nilsson - it's N-i-e-l-s-e-n! How difficuelt can it be?? It's not like you just signed Paul Szczechura...
About as difficult as well spelling difficult..

Bunk Moreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Chardo

^ Leave him alone. I tune in just to see his avatar.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lek View Post
...oh...and here I just like to call him Franz
That's funny, since it's also spelled Frans.

Anyhow, as a side note, according to this article he would've been traded before the deadline if they did not agree to a contract.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I wrote the same thing before the last TWO off-seasons. The only improvement has come from Tavares. I'd say Grabner's worse than expected, Okposo's bounced back a bit (thanks to JT, otherwise he had 10 goals over 80 games over the past two seasons until being moved to the top line).
You may be referring to our own young U25 forwards, but I think we've seen MARKED improvement in Parenteau's game as an NHLer.

Grabner is not only worse than expected, he's a non-NHLer getting top 9 minutes. The guy's game is lacking in so many areas that I'd like to see him moved while some people around the league still think he may be able to once again be where he was last season. There are few things a hockey purist despises more than his scaredy cat, perimeter-like ineffective style of passengership. It's been brutal!

There's no doubt that Bailey, Okposo, Nielsen and Grabner are producing less than we generally thought they would and less than this team needs them to. At least Okposo seems to have finally found a home on that Tavares line. He was some kind of bad in the first 15 games of the season.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
You may be referring to our own young U25 forwards, but I think we've seen MARKED improvement in Parenteau's game as an NHLer.
Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Grabner is not only worse than expected, he's a non-NHLer getting top 9 minutes. The guy's game is lacking in so many areas that I'd like to see him moved while some people around the league still think he may be able to once again be where he was last season. There are few things a hockey purist despises more than his scaredy cat, perimeter-like ineffective style of passengership. It's been brutal!
Ok maybe I think it is his one dimensional play added to his 2nd full season that makes him look brutal
Sophomore slump + one trick pony = Brutal

So I think he needs to learn how to play in the d zone, that will have some (maybe a little) effect on his overall confidence, and that might get him some action in the offensive zone. That and learning how to finish more often.

Not to get too far off the subject of Nielsen, but in general...
To me Nielsen is signed for the future, to be a player that young guys have to legitimately beat out for a spot, not the Pandolfos or Reasoners of the world(NHL) and that is a GOOD thing

This is why I think PAP is signed and traded after the season or before the end of this one with Nabby, who no matter what anyone says still doesn't want to be here (Id love to be wrong on this one)

So I wonder if PAP (with a friendly contract) Nabby and a pick gets us before this trade deadline

(I didn't know where to put this so I put it here)

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 07:23 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Yeah, but Grabner's element of speed is too tempting for a slow as mud team. I wait to see if this is just a sophomore slump.

I agree with you that PA shouldn't be an automatic discard at this point, but he is the last not to sign, so at some point you may have to move him because you can't afford to piss his value away ala Bouwmeester.

A dirty thought for you and everyone: Just because Frans is signed, doesn't mean he can't be traded. Maybe this is simply a delayed sign & trade scenario. His contract is a good one for any team looking for what he brings. He is moveable. No one should think otherwise at the moment.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Make them earn roster spots and when/if they do, trade redundant players to fill holes elsewhere in the lineup.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:23 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

Tavares doesn't have unlimited upside. The improvement must come from the outside, unless Bailey has some gigantic emergence.

They need at least one (I think TWO) top nine forwards and at least TWO top four defensemen.
I'm not convinced anyone internally can fill those holes NEXT YEAR.

Oh, and they SHOULD have a goalie signed who's name doesn't end with "e-t-r-o" - that's my armchair-GM-advice!
That's my concern, and what if management maintains what has been their status quo? Nothing suggests they won't. I'd very much like them to surprise us, and prove me totally wrong on this one, but I just don't see it given the uncertainty still surrounding arena and Wang's priorities etc. Also have to factor the raises that will be implemented next year (e.g. Nielson, JT etc.), that's less cap space to work with (assuming the cap min. threshold is the target and not the playoffs again).

We brave another mediocre, non-playoff year?

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Riddick

i find it interesting that a lot of the players who signed long term are signed to back loaded contracts.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
i find it interesting that a lot of the players who signed long term are signed to back loaded contracts.
It is so Charles can sell if he doesn't get an arena and the new owner will get stuck paying the bulk of the salary. I see no mystery here at all.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:53 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
oh no
Funny. I have the exact same reply to your post.

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:57 PM
periferal

Quote:
Oh please let this be a problem! You mean there might be a point where we have so much talent at the NHL level and in the minors that we won't have to force guys like Bailey, Nino, Rahkshani, Ness, among others into NHL duty before they're ready? Again, please let us have this problem.

There's always teams looking to trade for true young talent (on cheap contracts). The absolute best thing that can happen is that our young talent is playing so well in the minors that it gives management a tough decision on what to do with the higher-priced talent.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:59 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

Anyhow, as a side note, according to this article he would've been traded before the deadline if they did not agree to a contract.
For those of us who don't have Google Chrome...If you're going to post a link to an article in another language please post the translation.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:27 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
For those of us who don't have Google Chrome...If you're going to post a link to an article in another language please post the translation.
http://translate.google.com/translat...-vi-blev-enige

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:04 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Oh please let this be a problem! You mean there might be a point where we have so much talent at the NHL level and in the minors that we won't have to force guys like Bailey, Nino, Rahkshani, Ness, among others into NHL duty before they're ready? Again, please let us have this problem.

There's always teams looking to trade for true young talent (on cheap contracts). The absolute best thing that can happen is that our young talent is playing so well in the minors that it gives management a tough decision on what to do with the higher-priced talent.
Haha no what I mean is if we keep the same team we are going to have a lot of mediocre players that I can see others playing better. But hopefully we go and get some players to let our players develop in the ahl.
One player who I have no idea why he is up right now is Wallace. I see nothing in him at all.

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:50 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Haha no what I mean is if we keep the same team we are going to have a lot of mediocre players that I can see others playing better. But hopefully we go and get some players to let our players develop in the ahl.
One player who I have no idea why he is up right now is Wallace. I see nothing in him at all.
Because Snow had mercy on some prospects and is letting them develop and not deal with he pressure like he is with Bailey and Nino? Wallace ain't developing. He's safe to bring up without robbing Bridgeport or the prospects of good hockey.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:47 AM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

It's called irony, dude

Vandalay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote