HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's coaching Emelin?

Old
02-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
Who's coaching Emelin?

Seriously, if he doesn't speak English, aside from Kostitsyn, who is translating for him? And how do the coaches communicate with him, in game and out of game?

Sorry if this might sound stupid, but I was really wondering. Thanks.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:51 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Seriously, if he doesn't speak English, aside from Kostitsyn, who is translating for him? And how do the coaches communicate with him, in game and out of game?

I've seen him talk to guys before faceoffs, so he's definitely picked up some english.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:52 PM
The Price is Right

Coaching he does not need coaching all he needs to know is when to hit.

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:54 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Somes Notes to consider...

Josh Georges said Emelin knows the basic terms of hockey english that the team has taught him...example "wheels" different commands and warnings

Emelin revealed he understands some basic English....it is conceivable he is taking lessons and will improve

Last match where he scored the shortie there was a translator and official one hired by the club to deal with the reporters

Once I think our russian scout translated for the press...

I kid you not a few games ago Erik Cole was clearly seen on camera and in the middle of the ice before a faceoff...speaking to Emelin...in a pre faceoff team huddle and clearly Emelin was nodding in comprehension, perhaps fake comprehension? who knows...but I was like whaaaa? Cool...clearly there is some communication there

Some of our players speak basic russian...Pleky...

Czech players being slavic have some rudimentary understanding of Russian?

Markov speaks russian.

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post

Josh Georges said Emelin knows the basic terms of hockey english that the team has taught him...example "wheels" different commands and warnings

Emelin revealed he understands some basic English....it is conceivable he is taking lessons and will improve

Last match where he scored the shortie there was a translator and official one hired by the club to deal with the reporters

I kid you not a few games ago Erik Cole was clearly seen on camera and in the middle of the ice before a faceoff...speaking to Emelin...in a pre faceoff team huddle and clearly Emelin was nodding in comprehension, perhaps fake comprehension? who knows...but I was like whaaaa? Cool...clearly there is some communication there

Markov speaks russian.

The Habs don't have anybody associated with the team by the name of Josh GEORGES!!!!

The guy has been with the team now for like 5 or 6 years.....and people still won't spell his name correctly...no wonder people don't want to play in Montreal!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:57 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

He probably talks to Markov a lot. Markov may be injured but that doesn't mean he's never around the team.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

Markov speaks russian.
That's pretty cool. I'm sure he's been hanging out with the boys since he came to Montreal (probably doesn't have relatives aside from his Russian comrades). He'll definitely pick up terms, and I'm sure he understands hockey jargon. I was just wondering how much of an impact this language barrier might have had in terms of the coaches communicating their game plan with him. I know he's not the first nor the last player to come to the NHL without a speaking English fluently.

Old
02-07-2012, 08:00 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Quote:
The Habs don't have anybody associated with the team by the name of Josh GEORGES!!!!

The guy has been with the team now for like 5 or 6 years.....and people still won't spell his name correctly...no wonder people don't want to play in Montreal!!
Josh Gorges...rather...I knew at the time I was wrong but I shrugged it off due to a moment of indifference. Thank you kind sir for the correction.

Old
02-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Josh Gorges...rather...I knew at the time I was wrong but I shrugged it off due to a moment of indifference. Thank you kind sir for the correction.

No worries....I just think its disrespectful to a great player like Gorges for people to still mis-spell his name after 6 seasons!!! I see people spell it Georges way too often!

Old
02-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

In Soviet Russia, language learns you.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 08:11 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Quote:
No worries....I just think its disrespectful to a great player like Gorges for people to still mis-spell his name after 6 seasons!!! I see people spell it Georges way too often!
Agreed! Once again, good on you to call me out on that. I love this sort of habs passion.

@Ollie Williams

Good joke

Old
02-07-2012, 08:26 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Languages...the more you know...the better...

It highlights the importance of effective communication...and boy how communication being effective is so crucial to success...

I completely understand both sides of the English/French language debate but there are two things that most people on both sides seem to forget...

1: A coach a human being rather can learn a language (French) in this case rather quickly, if you are not clever enough to learn a language or two...then that speaks volumes about your mental and intellectual capacities...so bravo to all the francophones here on hf I salute you.

2. Just the mere fact our coach would speak French would be supremely beneficial for our hockey club because it would prevent...just that...distractions and needless and careless debate on the integrity of our coach and his abilities AND the need for a proportional representation for this institution's clientele...linguistically...Furthermore...knowing French...more importantly communication skills (But in our case the French language) can have supreme benefits for our coach because it will allow him or ..her to win the perpetual war that is keeping the media in check for your institution, control the media...and you half one less pimple on your butt to worry about and focus on the tactics and motivation for your hockey club.

All this French/English debate is really immature or rather many people here can be rather immature about it, never underestimate the power of effective communication through language skills...heck meet Emelin...we would all agree things would be better for him hockey wise if he spoke more English...and French...in time my friends in time...

Old
02-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Pleky Roks

Seeing that there are more russians on the Habs roster than french players.....maybe we should get a russian speaking coach!!!

Old
02-07-2012, 09:18 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Anyway, back to emelin yes?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:20 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Yes
Part of the team's building blocks for the future if you ask me
regardless of what language he speaks.
betcha it's not french

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I really want to hear him give an interview about his impression/experience of his first season in Montreal. Must've been hard to adapt to the NHL and the new city, but he seems to have fit in nicely. Really lucky to have him on our team (given the Markov situation)!

Old
02-07-2012, 09:24 PM
lou4gehrig

Is this topic even serious? I mean you could pay somebody $20K per year to walk around translating for Emelin. Don't be ridiculous.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
What the **** difference does it make, is georges or gorges royality or something. he's a decent, not a great hockey player thats pots 2 goals a year. The word great is for people like wayne or bobby or st paddy, not a run in the mill d-man like gorges.

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:35 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:

Markov speaks russian.
I'm relatively certain that Markov is the only one on the Habs who can speak Russian. Plekanec is from Czech Republic and speaks Czech. Kostitsyn is from Belarus and speaks Belarusian.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:39 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I'm relatively certain that Markov is the only one on the Habs who can speak Russian. Plekanec is from Czech Republic and speaks Czech. Kostitsyn is from Belarus and speaks Belarusian.
Belarus has 2 official languages
Belarusian and russian

oh snap!

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Emelin coaches himself, guys a ****ing beast.

Andrighetto Fabolous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Keep Cunneyworth and the French language debate out of this thread.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Czech and Russian are related though, although they don't seem that similar to me, and there is Russian influence and a Russian speaking minority in the Czech Republic - probably less so nowadays for political reasons, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of Czechs know basic Russian. Supposedly Czechs can pick up Polish very easily and Russian isn't THAT far removed. It wouldn't be completely out of the question the Pleks knows basic Russian, though at this point Emelin probably knows enough English that it doesn't matter.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

I wish Bryzgalov would teach him english. How cool would that be?

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:32 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

i go boom

^ only english he'll ever need

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote