HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hodgson, Tavares, Stamkos, Pietrangelo, Del Zotto, Duchene on same minor team!

Old
02-07-2012, 09:36 PM
AlexandreBurrows

vCash: 500
Hodgson, Tavares, Stamkos, Pietrangelo, Del Zotto, Duchene on same minor team!

Below is an excerpt of an article, link at bottom. They were all on same team dominating, amazing!

Not many, anyway. In a season where most of the Canucks have drifted in and out of consciousness, Hodgson has been the team's most consistent player, cutting through the regular season as straight as an arrow.

Because of it, by the end of this year, Hodgson may be the only player on the team who is involved in awards season.

In some ways, none of this should be surprising. Hodgson has been preparing for this since he was eight years old in the Toronto suburb of Vaughan.

"I always tried to be a player who contributes when it matters most," Hodgson said. "Even in minor hockey, I played on some really great teams and I think it's all helped. We went to the championship game as much as I can remember, going back to being eight years old.

"I can probably remember all the losses we had which prevented us from getting to a final. You play in those games as a kid and you start to get used to the mentality."

Even Hodgson's summers were intense. They had a travelling off-season team with local guys. Hodgson's teammates all grew up near-by. Look around now and they are a who's who of the next generation of NHL superstars. There was John Tavares, Steve Stamkos, Alex Pietrangelo, Michael Del Zotto, and Matt Duchene. All on one team.

"People would put together stacked teams from all over North America to try and beat us," Hodgson said. "We kept winning. We'd beat teams like Team Midwest. I remember one game, we scored four goals in the final five minutes to win a tournament.

"We had some pretty good players, and we were always competing against each other, that was probably the main thing."

Pretty good players? Some under-statement.

"We never realized how good we were in relation to the rest of the world, because we all lived in the same area, within a 20-minute drive of each other," Hodgson said.

Most impressive with the Canucks, has been Hodgson's blossoming as a goal-scoring threat. Even when he misses, it's notable. He hit the iron so hard with a slapshot Saturday, it may still be echoing.

Thank Duchene. Hodgson's summer workouts from age 14 to 18 were cycling over to Duchene's house every day where they took hundreds of shots till dusk at a life-size goalie built with wood and metal Duchene finished in shop class.

"We had some great competitions," Hodgson said. "He is so artistic and that goalie he built was great, really smart. The goalie was in the butterfly position and only exposed the real scoring areas, like five hole and over the shoulders."

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Co...936/story.html

AlexandreBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:40 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Ha, I played for Midwest. I bet they played for IHT.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:48 PM
AlexandreBurrows

Can't believe two first overalls, a 3rd a 4th a 10th and a 20th overall all on the same minor team.

Old
02-07-2012, 09:51 PM
pavelbure604

haters gonna hate

pavelbure604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:52 PM
BLBarmada

That's unbelievable, best minor team ever !!!

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:58 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Then Hodgson and Duchene both ended up in Brampton together. Did Tavares and MDZ ever play in Oshawa/London together?

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post
Then Hodgson and Duchene both ended up in Brampton together. Did Tavares and MDZ ever play in Oshawa/London together?
Yes Tavares and Del Zotto were basically glued together in their Junior years. I also know that Sam Gagner and John Tavares played in the Gagner backyard rink during winter.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Bob Cole

Subban played with Stamkos early on too

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:22 PM
VLoo

Those were summer teams, they played for different club teams. Hodgson, MDZ and Stamkos all played for the same Waxers team. Joined by 2nd round pick Cameron Gaunce. It was a nightmare playing those guys.

VLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Jester9881

Tavares and MDZ played in Oshawa together, and then were both traded to London together in the same deal.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:26 PM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
In team photos, the taller kid should be behind the shorter kid. Classless.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:27 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLoo View Post
Those were summer teams, they played for different club teams. Hodgson, MDZ and Stamkos all played for the same Waxers team. Joined by 2nd round pick Cameron Gaunce. It was a nightmare playing those guys.
Yup. Tavares and Gagner played on the Marlies.

theaub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

K, that's pretty cool.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Elever
Hth

Guitars, country music, fishing, and building goalies in shop class....Matt Duchene has some weird interests for a 20 yr old raised in southern Ontario (outside of maybe guitars).

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
In team photos, the taller kid should be behind the shorter kid. Classless.
Steven Stamkos - 6'1

P.K. Subban - 6'0

The Taller kid IS behind the shorter kid .

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:40 PM
AlexandreBurrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLoo View Post
Could you elaborate? any stories? what was your opinion back then? could you tell they were nhl bound?

Old
02-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
I heard the guy on the right is Tanev

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:53 PM
vadim sharifijanov

on top of subban and gagner, i've also read that chris tanev, who is a canucks prospect, also played on minor hockey teams with some of those guys.

the story is that dave gagner, who is a development coach with the canucks, remembered tanev as this hotshot kid from when his son sam was a kid. tanev's peers like stamkos, subban, and gagner, moved on but tanev never grew, so he quit. then he shot up a foot, and eventually played some damn good NCAA hockey with RIT, taking them on a cinderella run to the frozen four IIRC. dave gagner remembers this kid and says to canucks GM mike gillis, "this guy was a superstar among superstars. we have to get him."

Quote:
The problem? At age 15, he stood five feet and weighed about 100 pounds, this when some of the biggest players his age were closer to six feet and 200. If puberty had visited some peers, it hadn’t yet bolstered Tanev’s sunken chest. It seemed to matter little that Tanev was a heady player of considerable skill or that, only a few years earlier, he had shared a dressing room with future NHLers Steven Stamkos and P.K. Subban, and held his own. Tanev finally took the hint: He was too small, so he essentially retired from competitive hockey for most of two years.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...t-throwing-one

i love this story. kid played in the stanley cup finals last spring.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
1. Stamkos looks exactly the same as he does now.
2. Holy stromboli he is chubby!

Art of Sedinery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
on top of subban and gagner, i've also read that chris tanev, who is a canucks prospect, also played on minor hockey teams with some of those guys.

the story is that dave gagner, who is a development coach with the canucks, remembered tanev as this hotshot kid from when his son sam was a kid. tanev's peers like stamkos, subban, and gagner, moved on but tanev never grew, so he quit. then he shot up a foot, and eventually played some damn good NCAA hockey with RIT, taking them on a cinderella run to the frozen four IIRC. dave gagner remembers this kid and says to canucks GM mike gillis, "this guy was a superstar among superstars. we have to get him."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...t-throwing-one

i love this story. kid played in the stanley cup finals last spring.
As I stated above, I believe it is him in the picture of Stamkos and Subban

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:39 PM
gongshow12

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Guitars, country music, fishing, and building goalies in shop class....Matt Duchene has some weird interests for a 20 yr old raised in southern Ontario (outside of maybe guitars).
Pretty sure duchene is from haliburton, ontario which is right in the middle of cottage country. Seems like pretty normal hobbies/interests for anyone growing up in that area

gongshow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:40 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavTrick View Post
As I stated above, I believe it is him in the picture of Stamkos and Subban
yeah, that post came in the middle of me looking for the quote and link in my post. but i think you're right, that certainly looks like tanev.

and for those of you who aren't canadians, it's important to remember that this isn't like that little swedish mining town that produced forsberg, naslund, niklas sundstrom, the sedins, hedman, edler, anders hedberg, thomas gradin, and anders kallur. markham is a suburb of toronto (and home to a fine shanghainese dim sum restaurant), so it's not actually that surprising that a large number of future NHL stars grew up playing together.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:49 PM
leafsfuture

Tavares always played with the 89s growing up, so as it was astutely pointed out, he was teammates with Sam Gagner

Stamkos, MDZ, Hodgson and Gaunce all played for the Markham Waxers at the end of their minor hockey days, and Im pretty sure Stamkos and MDZ went 1 - 2 in the OHL draft

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:58 PM
vadim sharifijanov

^ was this the same markham waxers that tanev played on at ages 17 and 18 after he grew 14 inches, or is there a bantam and a junior b level?