BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Oh boy, that looks like fun!

[img]joethorntonfansite.tripod.com/images/bruins_joe_thornton_1.jpg[/img]
I can only picture you then haha.

"YEAH, for the FIFTEENTH TIME, Joe Thornton signed an extension! MOC is totally going to trade his captain he just resigned to an extension. "

or some other condesending garbage like that.

*edit* picture isn't working....smart phone isn't so smart now is it HTC...

Old
02-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

I honestly don't think Chia will be dealing a lot unless a player like Iginla is interested and wants to accept a trade here. I think the most important thing is how Horton recovers from now to trade deadline, if he is fine I don't see much done in getting an extra forward, maybe Chia trades for a veteran D that would not cost us more then a prospect and late pick

Old
02-08-2012, 07:59 AM
drd73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
I honestly don't think Chia will be dealing a lot unless a player like Iginla is interested and wants to accept a trade here. I think the most important thing is how Horton recovers from now to trade deadline, if he is fine I don't see much done in getting an extra forward, maybe Chia trades for a veteran D that would not cost us more then a prospect and late pick
The only problem with concussions is that guys have come back for 15-20 games and looked great and then the slightest most innocent hit and they're gone for the year,I think that Chiarelli has to look back at 2009 as an example,what if he does nothing Horton comes back for 10 games and then 5 games later Lucic goes down,imo he has no choice but to get a solid guy like Peverley who can play anywhere in the top 9

Old
02-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd73 View Post
The only problem with concussions is that guys have come back for 15-20 games and looked great and then the slightest most innocent hit and they're gone for the year,I think that Chiarelli has to look back at 2009 as an example,what if he does nothing Horton comes back for 10 games and then 5 games later Lucic goes down,imo he has no choice but to get a solid guy like Peverley who can play anywhere in the top 9
all depends of the players available and the asking price for them. Take Penner for example, no way I would want to pay that much for a player like him. If we give prospects and good picks I want a player like Iggy. I know it's probably not possible and I'm dreaming but if we honestly have to trade our 1st and a solid prospect for that possible player I don't think it's worth it. We can compete with the team we have now

Old
02-08-2012, 08:15 AM
drd73

Quote:
all depends of the players available and the asking price for them. Take Penner for example, no way I would want to pay that much for a player like him. If we give prospects and good picks I want a player like Iggy. I know it's probably not possible and I'm dreaming but if we honestly have to trade our 1st and a solid prospect for that possible player I don't think it's worth it. We can compete with the team we have now
totally agree on Penner guy is way to freakin lazy to fit into Julien's system,I don't think Chiarelli has to shoot for the stars to acquire a player,although if Iginla ever came here this town would go bat**** crazy,but maybe a guy like RJ Umberger or Vermette,not only does Chiarelli have to factor in injury depth,but once we start playing physical again the potential Shanabans has to be considered too,either way if we go into the playoffs without anymore depth and having just Kampher and Caron as extra players we could be in trouble,jmo

Old
02-08-2012, 08:31 AM
drd73

Quote:
If you look at last year there were teams that went out an acquired the big name players,and we tried to do the same with Kaberle,but the other 2 moves we made were argubly more successful and a big reason we won the cup last year,I say let the Rangers and Flyers gobble up the big names and all Chiarelli has to do is get a good second teir player that fits in well in Julien's system,so far in his time as gm his small trades have been just as good as the big ones he's made

Old
02-08-2012, 08:33 AM
whatsbruin

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepootamis View Post
Just throw out ideas for the deadline

To Det
Corvo
prospect

To Bos
Stuart

Stuart from what i have seen in Det the last couple of years has really stepped up defensively and still has good offensive skills
You do know that Stuart was the center piece of the Joe Thornton
trade, and played like crap while he was her, and pretty much made it well know he would not re-sign here.

Why would Boston ever consider bringing him back?

Old
02-08-2012, 08:34 AM
whatsbruin

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
That's not true. You can definately have Kaberle for a big centre prospect, your first and a conditional second. He's a proven cup winner!
Ouch. That was a good one, but not funny!

Old
02-08-2012, 08:39 AM
nycbruins*

Johnny Oduya on defense.

At forward, the big names are either not going anywhere or are going to command huge returns for no real reason.

So I see the Bruins getting a maligned winger having a bad season (Boyes) or an injury-prone old guy hoping he can keep it together for one more run (Jason Blake.)

Take care of getting another d-man that can play in the top 4 if need be (Oduya), then get a guy whose value is low now but could pay off in a different environment. Chances are similar that a guy having a good year struggles with a new team, so might as well shop in the discount aisle this year.

Unless Selanne becomes available, and then all bets are off. Talk about Horton insurance

Old
02-08-2012, 08:44 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

one thing to remember about penner is he was mid career year and dean was flat out desperate to make sure he got him...putting all the cards in Edmontons hands

Old
02-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Mark Fistric - Big body, hits a lot

Old
02-08-2012, 09:00 AM
scotiahockey

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Couple of points:

3- Chiarelli got burned with the Kaberle trade. I'm sure he will be on his heels if there's a " close call " deal on the table.
The Bruins won the Stanley Cup. Every trade Chia made last season helped in that, and every trade he made, regardless of long term consequence, was worth it 1000 times over. If you doubt that, ask Toronto fans if they would trade Kessel and Lupul and Shenn for 4 months of Selanne, Whitney and Parise if it guaranteed them a cup?

Old
02-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepootamis View Post
Just throw out ideas for the deadline

To Det
Corvo
prospect

To Bos
Stuart

Stuart from what i have seen in Det the last couple of years has really stepped up defensively and still has good offensive skills

To Cal
Hamill

To Bos
Babchuk

Babchuk plays a physical game and would be good to have on the 3rd pairing with Mcquaid

To Chi
Marchand
Boychuk

To Bos
Seabrook
Stalberg

Bos loses a little toughness but gets back a offensive defensemen
I appreciate the effort but after Thomas & Chara, Marchand is the last guy I trade right before the playoffs.

Unfortunately, Hamill gets the B's nothing at all.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Ray Whitney or Selanne and a veteran D man (scott hannan?)

Old
02-08-2012, 09:19 AM
don

We don't have to score big in the D department even though it would be nice. IMO, all we need there is a 2nd liner, all around player. Move Corvo to the 7th spot and hope no one gets injured.

The forward situation is a different story. With Horton out we've seen how weak we are in the scoring department. I'd be willing to give up our 1st this year plus prospects not named Hamilton to get a scorer.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Here is a good article in USA Today about the escalating cost of trade deadline deals in a sellers market, asking whether the high costs are worth the effort.

The salary cap has created parity, and parity has created tighter races, which have turned the trade deadline into a seller's market.

Minnesota Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher has been aggressively reviewing his trade options for two months, and he often has been more troubled by the market than intrigued by it.

"It is not a big market in terms of the number of sellers," Fletcher said. "And second, the prices are very high. And historically, if you look, I'm not sure that 25% of these rental trades work out for the teams that are buying." Fletcher is still considering making a trade. "But you do wonder, even if you can do it, is it worth it?" he said.

Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke decided he wants to avoid deadline day shopping if it all possible because he thinks prices are always too high.

"Do a graphic for any year ó the math doesn't work," Burke said. "Fourteen to 16 teams add players. Prices are inflated, and there is one Stanley Cup parade at the end of the season. The trade deadline is a pit of quicksand."

The trade deadline worked out well for the Bruins last year. But this year will be tricky given the competition for the type of players that the Bruins need. Perhaps GM Chiarelli will sit this one out.

Read the full article here: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ing/53004588/1
Those few teams may hold the cards now but realistically, prices will always drop the closer to the deadline you get. There are a lot of buyers at the moment, but if people aren't willing to pay the asking prices (which obviously no one is) those prices will lower. Sellers want to sell, and often have to. They'll blink first, and although you'll likely still have bidding wars they'll be more realistic. Boston has money and they're legit, sustainable contenders coming off a cup win which makes them a damn near perfect destination for folks with NTC's or NMC's. They have more then a few intriguing future pieces worth selling, so the assets, money, and allure are all in place.

Buy now, pay out the nose. Wait until those sellers need to make a move (and many will absolutely HAVE to make a move for a plethora of reasons), and you'll get better scenarios. It's how it goes every single year. Right around now people are panicking because no moves are getting made, GM's are saying prices are too high, and folks are upset because there are only 5-8 true sellers and for some reason, always seem surprised by this. 15 teams don't make the playoffs, at least half of those stay in the hunt right up until the end ever year. That equates to at most, 7 true sellers each season.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Gut feeling Chia winds up with Selanne somehow.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:42 AM
nycbruins*

Vinny Prospal just re-signed in Columbus.

So it seems like there aren't many sellers and the sellers that do exist are asking for the moon for their assets, aren't getting it, and then re-signing their assets instead of moving them.

Going to be a frustrating deadline. At least the Bruins are really good and it's not the end of the world if they do nothing.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

Ryan Whitney would cost a lot. Also is injury prone. Great offensive D-man, though.

How about Robidas, Kesla?

Old
02-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387211

According to the Denver Post, defenceman Shane O'Brien is one player on the Colorado Avalanche who could hear his name in rumours as the trade deadline approaches.

O'Brien is slated to become an unrestricted free agent at season's end and was a healthy scratch last week but with 40 games of playoff experience, he could provide some depth on the blue line for a Stanley Cup contender.

Would fit in perfectly in Boston.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Gut feeling Chia winds up with Selanne somehow.
Oh God don't get my hopes up man!

Old
02-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Fenian24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I'm worried Horton's injury may be worse than what is being reported. IF so, we lose a significant top-6 player. Peverly has not proven to be capable of filling in wing slot on the Krejci line.

From what is being reported it sounds as if the market is insane right now, 'sellers' in complete control at the moment. Chia may have to look at another avenue, perhaps players currently not playing in the NHL (Satan!). Or over-paying for a big fish (Iginla?).

As bad as it sounds, standing put may be his best option. It isn't very encouraging when Kampfer & Caron are the B's extra skaters.. Cross your fingers the injury bug avoids Boston.
I don't think the Bruins can count on Horton, even if he comes back from his "mild" concussion his play may be altered and he will become more of the perimeter player he was in FLA.

In my opinion the Bruins need to do something significant, a top six forward or top 4 d man. To me every prospect but Hamilton should be in play as well as this year and nextís first round pick.

I do not want a repeat of the excuse before the last lockout of "after the new CBA we'll be able to pick and choose our team". It didn't work then and I cannot see Fehr or the NHLPA making big concessions during this negotiation. Bruins need to go forward not expecting a drop in the cap for next year.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiahockey View Post
The Bruins won the Stanley Cup. Every trade Chia made last season helped in that, and every trade he made, regardless of long term consequence, was worth it 1000 times over. If you doubt that, ask Toronto fans if they would trade Kessel and Lupul and Shenn for 4 months of Selanne, Whitney and Parise if it guaranteed them a cup?
The Cup and the Kaberle trade are two separate thing. The Bruins won the Cup but the debate regarding Kaberle's contribution is " on ". When you pay the kind of price that Chiarelli paid for Kaberle, you expect more from that player then to be bury on the 3rd pairing because the level play of that player is subpar and can have a negative outcome for the team. There's a reason why Chiarelli didn't re-signed Kaberle. That reason was obvious in Carolina and i'm still puzzled by the fact that Montreal acquired him..

Old
02-08-2012, 10:09 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
I don't think the Bruins can count on Horton, even if he comes back from his "mild" concussion his play may be altered and he will become more of the perimeter player he was in FLA.

In my opinion the Bruins need to do something significant, a top six forward or top 4 d man. To me every prospect but Hamilton should be in play as well as this year and nextís first round pick.

I do not want a repeat of the excuse before the last lockout of "after the new CBA we'll be able to pick and choose our team". It didn't work then and I cannot see Fehr or the NHLPA making big concessions during this negotiation. Bruins need to go forward not expecting a drop in the cap for next year.
Not a great analogy, because the Bruins didn't use the pending lockout excuse until after the season ended, not before it.

In 2004 before the deadline, the Bruins went all in and got Gonchar & Nylander (along with Delmore & Boyes).
Seeing as you're looking for big moves this deadline, I would think you would want a repeat of that

Old
02-08-2012, 10:12 AM
drd73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
The Cup and the Kaberle trade are two separate thing. The Bruins won the Cup but the debate regarding Kaberle's contribution is " on ". When you pay the kind of price that Chiarelli paid for Kaberle, you expect more from that player then to be bury on the 3rd pairing because the level play of that player is subpar and can have a negative outcome for the team.
and the counter to you're argument is he does nothing like in 2009 and we get a repeat of the philly series by doing nothing,he won't stay pat this time,the peverley and kelly trades clearly show he learned his lesson

Closed Thread