HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball > Fantasy Baseball - ATD
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Fantasy Baseball Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
  #476
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,805
vCash: 500
When does yahoo fantasy baseball open up again?

mapes is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 07:32 PM
  #477
Everlong
Franchise Pillar
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
When does yahoo fantasy baseball open up again?
No idea. I was looking at my past year's keeper league rosters the past few days. Baseball can't start soon enough.

Everlong is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 08:50 PM
  #478
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
No idea. I was looking at my past year's keeper league rosters the past few days. Baseball can't start soon enough.
Agreed, I believe fantasy baseball is better than fantasy football. Baseball takes the most time and research, and there are a lot of sleepers out there and steals. Football is just really random in my opinion, even though I still enjoy.

Fire Lindy is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 06:49 AM
  #479
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
No idea. I was looking at my past year's keeper league rosters the past few days. Baseball can't start soon enough.
Ha, not just me then lol

You interested in doing a keeper or is one enough? I'm doing a keeper this year but I'll still have my one year league as well.

I think Feb 7th last year but just a guess, that date sticks out to me for some reason

mapes is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:09 AM
  #480
SJSharksfan39
Registered User
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,510
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
When does yahoo fantasy baseball open up again?
Don't they usually start in February, after the Super Bowl?

SJSharksfan39 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:00 PM
  #481
Everlong
Franchise Pillar
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Ha, not just me then lol

You interested in doing a keeper or is one enough? I'm doing a keeper this year but I'll still have my one year league as well.
Are you starting a Keeper league or is this one that's on-going? Either way, I'm always open so let me know closer to fantasy baseball season.

Everlong is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:10 AM
  #482
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Are you starting a Keeper league or is this one that's on-going? Either way, I'm always open so let me know closer to fantasy baseball season.
It would be a new one. Haven't done one before but interested in it. Not sure the rules yet, I'll pm you details when it opens.

I can't wait for baseball season. By far the best of all fantasy sports

mapes is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 04:22 PM
  #483
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,244
vCash: 50
I need some opinions, I consider myself to be in somewhat of a predicament in my year 7 keeper decision.

You are able to sign any of your players from 1-3 years. For the past 4 years I constructed my keepers in which I would only lose ONE player at the end of each season, then I would sign my first round pick to the three year max contract.

Currently I have Jared Weaver signed for this next season, and Ryan Braun signed for the next two seasons. The 3rd player who I will be signing is Giancarlo Stanton. However this whole Marlin fire sale kind of scared me as I planned on signing him to a 3 year deal.

Am I over thinking things, would you guys still give Stanton a three year deal? Or should I break my system?

Edit: I would love it if Stanton was traded, but I have a feeling Marlins will keep him until the trade deadline of his final contract year.

Muh is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 11:35 PM
  #484
Burrows19
Registered User
 
Burrows19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 511
vCash: 7363
Hey guys.

So the fantasy baseball (early) season is starting up in the next few days. And I'm gonna start a keeper league on yahoo. Only avid fantasy baseball players welcome. A bit of info, it will be a 10-12 team league and will be run completely on yahoo, and the scoring will be a type of rotisserie!

To ensure there's only serious players joining, PM me some of your previous fantasy history and why you want to be in this league!

Cheers!

EDIT: 7 TEAMS LEFT!


Last edited by Burrows19: 02-11-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Burrows19 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:25 PM
  #485
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
I need some opinions, I consider myself to be in somewhat of a predicament in my year 7 keeper decision.

You are able to sign any of your players from 1-3 years. For the past 4 years I constructed my keepers in which I would only lose ONE player at the end of each season, then I would sign my first round pick to the three year max contract.

Currently I have Jared Weaver signed for this next season, and Ryan Braun signed for the next two seasons. The 3rd player who I will be signing is Giancarlo Stanton. However this whole Marlin fire sale kind of scared me as I planned on signing him to a 3 year deal.

Am I over thinking things, would you guys still give Stanton a three year deal? Or should I break my system?

Edit: I would love it if Stanton was traded, but I have a feeling Marlins will keep him until the trade deadline of his final contract year.
Seeing how the Mariners made a move for Justin Upton, It would suck as a fantasy owner if Stanton ended up there. Even with that though, I wouldnt hesitate with 3 years.

Wildturkey12 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:30 PM
  #486
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 2400
I need some advice in my 16 team keeper league. Right now my 5 keepers are:
Miguel Cabrera-Victor Martinez-Ian Kinsler-Pedro Alvarez-Curtis Granderson

I will be spinning off or dropping:
Napoli-BJ Upton-Altuve-Machado-Arencibia

Im thinking about trying to trade Granderson for a draft pick and keeping Upton. Same with V Mart and keeping Arencibia. Any thoughts?

Wildturkey12 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 11:26 AM
  #487
Richards to Gaborik
Registered User
 
Richards to Gaborik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
Need advice for a trade.

I receive

Josh Johnson
David Murphy

I trade

Kris Medlen
Justin Ruggiano

Thoughts?

Richards to Gaborik is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 11:56 AM
  #488
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,022
vCash: 500
I don't see why you wouldn't do it.

bluesfan94 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:36 PM
  #489
Richards to Gaborik
Registered User
 
Richards to Gaborik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
I don't see why you wouldn't do it.
Medlen's second half was amazing. It's hard to give up a player like him, but I think I'm going to accept this trade and hope that I sold high at the right time.

Richards to Gaborik is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:48 PM
  #490
Everlong
Franchise Pillar
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,606
vCash: 500
What do you think Jhonny Perlata's value is in a 12-14team keeper league (pts)? Replacement level? Vet starter? It is difficult to find quality SS, especially one in quality lineups like Det has.

Everlong is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:02 PM
  #491
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,805
vCash: 500
Wow.

So I'm in a H2H keeper league, took over a struggling team. You keep 6 guys, whatever round they were drafted in you lose that pick. Free agent pickups cost you your final round. If you keep 2 in the same round it counts as the round afterwards.

I used my number 1 waiver on Tulo, used another waiver on Texeira and Haren. These would cost me my picks in rounds 24-26.

I traded for Verlander and Cano. Overpaid but great guys to have (cost picks 1-2). I had Moore in the 8th round so I now had my keepers set.

I then began "selling" my team as it had no hope, in the form of draft picks. A couple guys were upset and said its not right. To me, I felt why not.

I received an email about 10 days ago him welcoming guys back to the league and whatnot but with no invite. One guy, who I assume ment to just write the commish, complained of my strategy. Said I ruined the league by doing it. I probably only did 3-4 trades but one guy likely won the league by 1 of them.

I still hadn't received an invite by Sunday so I wrote the commish. Now no response. Normally he responds quick. I'm assuming now I'm not getting one. Pretty pissed about it.

My question, should they be mad? I built such a promising team plus adding higher picks.

mapes is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 06:31 PM
  #492
Mason10
Bacon
 
Mason10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,933
vCash: 500
Who do you pick first overall?

Mason10 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 07:12 PM
  #493
Burrows19
Registered User
 
Burrows19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 511
vCash: 7363
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Wow.

So I'm in a H2H keeper league, took over a struggling team. You keep 6 guys, whatever round they were drafted in you lose that pick. Free agent pickups cost you your final round. If you keep 2 in the same round it counts as the round afterwards.

I used my number 1 waiver on Tulo, used another waiver on Texeira and Haren. These would cost me my picks in rounds 24-26.

I traded for Verlander and Cano. Overpaid but great guys to have (cost picks 1-2). I had Moore in the 8th round so I now had my keepers set.

I then began "selling" my team as it had no hope, in the form of draft picks. A couple guys were upset and said its not right. To me, I felt why not.

I received an email about 10 days ago him welcoming guys back to the league and whatnot but with no invite. One guy, who I assume ment to just write the commish, complained of my strategy. Said I ruined the league by doing it. I probably only did 3-4 trades but one guy likely won the league by 1 of them.

I still hadn't received an invite by Sunday so I wrote the commish. Now no response. Normally he responds quick. I'm assuming now I'm not getting one. Pretty pissed about it.

My question, should they be mad? I built such a promising team plus adding higher picks.

Pretty crummy. If there was no rule against it, then there's no violation. If they were mad then they should have implemented a rule. The commish should have at-least given you a response and at minimum a warning not to do it again. They're probably just mad about you having such a good team!

Burrows19 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 07:14 PM
  #494
Burrows19
Registered User
 
Burrows19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 511
vCash: 7363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason10 View Post
Who do you pick first overall?

I'd take Trout.

Burrows19 is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 06:41 PM
  #495
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,127
vCash: 500
My AL Only season last year ended up being enjoyable. I was languishing in 6th/7th place for the entire summer. I was looking at the standings (roto) and I seemed tantalizingly close in so many categories. But I never seemed to make any progress. I traded Grant Balfour to my friend who was in 2nd place for Mike Olt (possible keeper for 2013). In the final month, his team tanked while my team caught on fire. We essentially flipped spots. Naturally Balfour was a distraction.

........anyways, debating which guys to keep for AL Only this season. We'll probably have 8 or 9 teams, so it's tough to find a proper value chart.

Manny Machado ($8) - Not great value but 3B is pretty shallow for AL.
Alexis Rios ($15) - Doesn't feel like a steal, but he'd probably go for more in the auction.
Brett Gardner ($13) - If he can get back to 2010/11 levels, this would save me a couple bucks.
Victor Martinez ($11) - He won't be catcher eligible in our league.
Addison Reed ($12) - Got burned on keeping Jordan Walden last year. Don't feel remotely confident about Reed, but $12 isn't too bad for an RP2 in this league.

Brodeur is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 04:54 AM
  #496
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,805
vCash: 500
Heh, guess he was just late. I got an invite last night.

Should I keep Lawrie at the cost of a 5th rounder (my infield would be complete, minus my C with Tex, Cano, Lawrie and Tulo), Youk (costs 24th rounder), Montero (costs 24th rounder) or Haren at the cost of a 24th round pick (my starters I'm keeping are Verly and Moore)


Last edited by mapes: 02-23-2013 at 05:01 AM.
mapes is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 09:33 AM
  #497
Bob Barker
Registered User
 
Bob Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards to Gaborik View Post
Need advice for a trade.

I receive

Josh Johnson
David Murphy

I trade

Kris Medlen
Justin Ruggiano

Thoughts?
I would do this. Josh Johnson is in line for a big year in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
I need some advice in my 16 team keeper league. Right now my 5 keepers are:
Miguel Cabrera-Victor Martinez-Ian Kinsler-Pedro Alvarez-Curtis Granderson

I will be spinning off or dropping:
Napoli-BJ Upton-Altuve-Machado-Arencibia

Im thinking about trying to trade Granderson for a draft pick and keeping Upton. Same with V Mart and keeping Arencibia. Any thoughts?
I would keep Machado over both Arencibia and Upton, and MAYBE Alvarez.
Who would you be getting (roughly what calibre) as the pick for Granderson? I probably wouldn't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
I need some opinions, I consider myself to be in somewhat of a predicament in my year 7 keeper decision.

You are able to sign any of your players from 1-3 years. For the past 4 years I constructed my keepers in which I would only lose ONE player at the end of each season, then I would sign my first round pick to the three year max contract.

Currently I have Jared Weaver signed for this next season, and Ryan Braun signed for the next two seasons. The 3rd player who I will be signing is Giancarlo Stanton. However this whole Marlin fire sale kind of scared me as I planned on signing him to a 3 year deal.

Am I over thinking things, would you guys still give Stanton a three year deal? Or should I break my system?

Edit: I would love it if Stanton was traded, but I have a feeling Marlins will keep him until the trade deadline of his final contract year.
I would give Stanton three years. He's that good.

Bob Barker is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 01:06 PM
  #498
Everlong
Franchise Pillar
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,606
vCash: 500
Can anyone give me some advice or tips for someone doing an auction draft for the first time? Let's say the cap is 160, what should I be spending on a 1st round pick like Pujols/Braun/etc. How big is the drop-off in the 2nd and 3rd rounds?

Cheers. And if anyone has an auction draft league looking for another manager let me know.

Everlong is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 07:36 PM
  #499
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Can anyone give me some advice or tips for someone doing an auction draft for the first time? Let's say the cap is 160, what should I be spending on a 1st round pick like Pujols/Braun/etc. How big is the drop-off in the 2nd and 3rd rounds?

Cheers. And if anyone has an auction draft league looking for another manager let me know.
Depends on the parameters of the league. Aside from the cap ($160), how many teams are involved? What is the position breakdown? And how do post-draft free agents work? Auction draft is fun since it is variable based on your particular rules.

If there are at least 10-12 teams, I usually find that inexperienced auction draftees spend a lot of money at the beginning of the draft and then have to wait until the end to fill up their teams after depleting their cap. I usually let other teams waste their money up front and pick up a bunch of solid players in the middle at a discount. But that strategy won't work as well if it's a shallow league (ie, 8 team mixed league).

One strategy that seems not to be utilized enough is nominating a player that you have zero interest when it's your turn to pick. Given the general volatility of closers, I usually toss them out early on and let others pay full value (and then some) to get a name brand guy like Mariano, Papelbon, etc. Similarly, I can usually find somebody who'll pay full price for Joe Mauer while picking up a reasonable hitting catcher for $1 at the end.

And if you're playing with friends, it's fun to make them pay a homer tax for their favorite players.

Brodeur is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
  #500
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Can anyone give me some advice or tips for someone doing an auction draft for the first time? Let's say the cap is 160, what should I be spending on a 1st round pick like Pujols/Braun/etc. How big is the drop-off in the 2nd and 3rd rounds?

Cheers. And if anyone has an auction draft league looking for another manager let me know.
What I do is outline how much I want to spend per position and keep track during the draft. If I spent 3 dollars less at first than I expected ill add a few to someone I really want.

Also don't go crazy early. Many people overspend early and then you get guys for way below value. I mean unless its a stud you really want (Kershaw, Stras, Trout..). But I wouldn't go crazy. After a few rounds you'll see how prices dip.

I also typically don't nominate players I want. I try to nominate the guy who will likely go for the most out of guys I don't want. Reason being, force others to spend money. But don't bid on guys you don't want just to drive the price up. I was an idiot my first auction draft and did that and ended up with some guys I didn't want.

Auction drafts are a lot of fun.


EDIT: lol I just noticed the guy above me said almost all the same stuff. I didn't read his post until now I swear lol.

mapes is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.