HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Rick Nash

Old
05-18-2012, 10:57 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
In terms of sheer quantity of assets? Probably not. In terms of "better", particularly for Columbus? It'd be almost trivial to do, and if Nash goes anywhere it damn well better be better for us.

Seriously. Everyone talks about how that Rangers offer was so wonderful and great, but what we were getting were an undersized quality forward prospect (the kind we already have three of), a two-way quality defense prospect (the type we already have 4 or 5 of, plus they never bailed on a team), another C/W prospect who wasn't doing so well and of interest only 'cause he's from Ohio, a forward having a "down year" in which he was getting outscored by our third liners, and a draft pick.

In terms of assets being given up by the Rangers, that was overpayment. In practice, it was comparable to trying to pry Letang from Pittsburgh by offering Brad Richards and Derek Stepan.
Why did Columbus finish the season they way they did if they have so much quality in all these positions?

Howson isn't getting a good return. Ottawa didn't, and they traded a 50-goal scoring winger in the prime of his career. You're looking at something like Heatley. Howson has a very limited list of teams Nash gave him (the exact number may be 6, or less, or maybe more... but we've all heard 6 so for now that is only 1/5th (less one) of NHL teams.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:57 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Gaborik and his 7.5m cap hit to Phoenix (Langkow at 4.5m and Roszival at 3m are walking) for a good package of futures that includes pieces Columbus likes.

New York moves some of the Phoenix assets and some Rangers assets to Columbus for Nash.

05-18-2012, 11:01 AM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Stuff I'm kicking around based on just the last couple pages. May need tweaks for whatever reasons (salary, value, whatever) but since I'm making this stuff up off the top of my head I reserve the right to let myself off the hook, and to change my mind.

Anyway, spitballing...

From TML:
5th overall + Schenn + Kulemin + Colborne

From SJS:
Pavelski + Clowe + something small-ish

From NYR:
Staal + Dubinsky + Miller

Haven't thought enough about BOS. I like Krejci, but can't come up with the rest.
Flip Schenn for Gunnarsson.
Really like The SJS deal.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:14 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip check View Post
Flip Schenn for Gunnarsson.
Really like The SJS deal.
No interest here, way too much to give up.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Detroit offers
-Franzen
-Emmerton
-Tatar
-2nd rd pick in 2013

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:22 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernKing View Post
NYR for Dubinsky,Staal and Stepan. With Kreider ready for full time next season they have extra bodies. Also Dubinsky and Staal have been passed by Callahan and the likes of Girardi and McDonough.
stop drinking, seriously. It's a problem, they have meetings all over the place.

I wouldn't move Staal straight up for him let alone add Dubi AND Stepan

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
No interest here, way too much to give up.
No offense here, but you have the biggest "mean on" toward Nash than anyone on HF. I guess I admire your commitment.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:38 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Why did Columbus finish the season they way they did if they have so much quality in all these positions?

Howson isn't getting a good return. Ottawa didn't, and they traded a 50-goal scoring winger in the prime of his career. You're looking at something like Heatley. Howson has a very limited list of teams Nash gave him (the exact number may be 6, or less, or maybe more... but we've all heard 6 so for now that is only 1/5th (less one) of NHL teams.
He was a 50 goal scoring winger, who was declining into more of a 35 goal scorer, and was a malcontent.

It was a bad trade(which had to be made since Heatley only gave Ottawa two viable teams), but right now it is looking pretty good.

Rick Nash is a much better hockey player, and most of all, he isn't an *******. That usually counts with GM's in this league. Maybe Howson can't get a fair return, but to compare this situation to Heatley is ridiculous.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Because every one of those positions is a PROSPECT rather than a ROSTER PLAYER. And they would continue to be prospects over here, just like the others we've got.

Seriously, this casual disdain-disrespect-don't bother to do the research attitude is getting intolerable.

Quote:
Howson isn't getting a good return. Ottawa didn't, and they traded a 50-goal scoring winger in the prime of his career. You're looking at something like Heatley.
Bull. Heatley publicly forced his way out while kvetching about everybody there. Nash asked quietly so as to add more assets to the team. The personalities are radically different, and I for one am sick and tired of the comparison. It's completely baseless.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:44 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Stuff I'm kicking around based on just the last couple pages. May need tweaks for whatever reasons (salary, value, whatever) but since I'm making this stuff up off the top of my head I reserve the right to let myself off the hook, and to change my mind.

Anyway, spitballing...

From TML:

From SJS:

From NYR:

Haven't thought enough about BOS. I like Krejci, but can't come up with the rest.
Staal++ for Nash is not happening.

Staal for Nash the Rangers won't do.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:45 AM
TSA0402

Quote:

Anyway, spitballing...

From TML:

From SJS:

From NYR:

Don't believe for a second Toronto would offer that. I like the 5th overall it gives an ok chance for an elite player(likely a good NHL player). Probably the most realistic though. Don't like the idea of Nash going to Toronto, I like the idea of them not making the playoffs for another five years(or more)

Not particularly satisfied with the San Jose deal. Columbus has tried the "solid team" approach and failed quite miserably. Don't see Pavelski with that much upside.

NYR I don't see them interested considering where their current success.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:52 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
No offense here, but you have the biggest "mean on" toward Nash than anyone on HF. I guess I admire your commitment.
I don't have a problem with Rick Nash. He seems like a great guy, and he's a great player.

He is however highly overpaid and I want no part of that. We went through this already, and I don't see it working out any better this time than it did with Heatley, and Nash is paid more than Heatley (and Heatley has had the better career stats).

Seriously, I don't have a problem with Rick Nash, I just have a problem with his salary and giving up a better player making half as much for him. People that think we need to 'add' to Pavelski are going off name recognition alone, plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
He was a 50 goal scoring winger, who was declining into more of a 35 goal scorer, and was a malcontent.

It was a bad trade(which had to be made since Heatley only gave Ottawa two viable teams), but right now it is looking pretty good.

Rick Nash is a much better hockey player, and most of all, he isn't an *******. That usually counts with GM's in this league. Maybe Howson can't get a fair return, but to compare this situation to Heatley is ridiculous.
It's a very apt comparison. The situations are slightly different, but there are definitely similarities. Both players have asked to be traded, both players have a NTC and are wielding it to control their destination. Will Columbus have the exact same results? Hard to say, but making the comparison is only logical.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Bull. Heatley publicly forced his way out while kvetching about everybody there. Nash asked quietly so as to add more assets to the team. The personalities are radically different, and I for one am sick and tired of the comparison. It's completely baseless.
This is HF. Every goalie has a track record like Dan Blackburn, except the ones that make it to 45, and suck the entire way. Every player that gets drunk is a trainwreck, like Patrick Kane. Every player that asks for a trade is Dan Heatley. Any high cap hit and long term isn't worth it, even for a season, let alone several. If they're proven, they're old, if they're young and developping, they're worthless because they haven't proved anything.

Where have you been?

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:55 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
It's a very apt comparison. The situations are slightly different, but there are definitely similarities. Both players have asked to be traded, both players have a NTC and are wielding it to control their destination. Will Columbus have the exact same results? Hard to say, but making the comparison is only logical.
Its logical, if you haven't been following any of it. Slightly different? Sure, if a panda is slightly different from a walrus.

Rick Nash intentionally kept his mouth shut and gave Columbus the best chance of getting assets at the deadine for him while Dany Heatley went out of his way to ask for a trade, refused to pull the trigger and collect an extra 4 million dollar signing bonus(all the while still demanding a trade and rejecting Edmonton) so the next team would have to pay less money for his services.

You should stick to your time zone.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:06 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Its logical, if you haven't been following any of it. Slightly different? Sure, if a panda is slightly different from a walrus.

Rick Nash intentionally kept his mouth shut and gave Columbus the best chance of getting assets at the deadine for him while Dany Heatley went out of his way to ask for a trade, refused to pull the trigger and collect an extra 4 million dollar signing bonus(all the while still demanding a trade and rejecting Edmonton) so the next team would have to pay less money for his services.

You should stick to your time zone.
That is an entire paragraph of unprovable conjecture.

- Heatley claimed he never made it public, and never wanted to. It could have been Murray, someone in the org that new about the deal, his agent, who knows, point is, no one likely ever will. Also, the GM making it public isn't exactly a better situation.

- It was almost surely DW that refused to make the trade until after the $4m bonus, proven by the point that the Sens filed a complaint against the Sharks (not Heatley) over it (which I believe went nowhere). I doubt Heatley had anything to do with that. Also, if anything, it made Heatley's trade value better because he cost $4m less. Whichever team paid that bonus didn't matter to Heatley, he got his money either way.

You are upset, I get it, but to totally dismiss the comparison is absolutely unfair. The Nash affair is a bit less of a media circus, and no one is trash talking Nash publically, so that's deffinetly better, but it's still not a situation where the trading team is likely to get maximum value for the player.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

[QUOTE=hockeyball;49861373]
Quote:
That is an entire paragraph of unprovable conjecture.
And so to reply...

Quote:
Heatley claimed he never made it public, and never wanted to. It could have been Murray
Quote:
It was almost surely DW that refused to make the trade until after the $4m bonus,
Indeed. Unprovable conjecture sucks. But if you ban it from message boards, what's left?

Old
05-18-2012, 12:34 PM
hockeyball

[QUOTE=Double-Shift Lassé;49862115]
Quote:

And so to reply...

Indeed. Unprovable conjecture sucks. But if you ban it from message boards, what's left?
I didn't claim those were facts though, I pointed out that his were conjecture and here is an alternate possibility that has some pretty good grounding in reality.

We know as little about the reality of the Nash situation as we did about Heatley. Point being, it's fair to compare the two. While I agree they are not identical situations, they are similar.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:

I didn't claim those were facts though, I pointed out that his were conjecture and here is an alternate possibility that has some pretty good grounding in reality.

We know as little about the reality of the Nash situation as we did about Heatley. Point being, it's fair to compare the two. While I agree they are not identical situations, they are similar.
Nice backtrack. "Pretty good ground in reality" is still "unprovable conjecture." Opinions abound as to Nash's value in trade. Until he's traded, they're all equally "unprovable conjecture," despite what historical connections one might try to draw.

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:16 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

Anyway, spitballing...

From TML:

From SJS:

From NYR:

I know that Staal did not play the full season and that many may not totally understand his impact on a game, but Marc Staal has been one of, if not the BEST Rangers d-man for a month+. He is a physical, top-pairing, shut-down d-man on a great contract at 25. The Rangers team is built on their (3) horses on the back-end with McDonagh, Girardi and Staal. They will not be moving Marc Staal for Rick Nash.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:34 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Nice backtrack. "Pretty good ground in reality" is still "unprovable conjecture." Opinions abound as to Nash's value in trade. Until he's traded, they're all equally "unprovable conjecture," despite what historical connections one might try to draw.
I really do not understand your point... Maybe you are not understanding mine.

My point is simply that, on the surface, the two situations are close enough to at least warrant comparison. Their are some unique details to each situation (which there are in any two real world situations) but to rule out the Heatley trade as a comparative utterly is disingenuous.

That is all I was getting at, and I think that's fair. I didn't backtrack in the slightest. I didn't say Nash would get the same return as Heatley anywhere, and I didn't say the situations were identical. The only 'opinion' I really stated was that I think at the very least the Nash will not return the same trade value he would have had the situation not evolved the way it did. I think that's a pretty fair statement.

Old
05-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
I really do not understand your point... Maybe you are not understanding mine.

My point is simply that, on the surface, the two situations are close enough to at least warrant comparison. Their are some unique details to each situation (which there are in any two real world situations) but to rule out the Heatley trade as a comparative utterly is disingenuous.

That is all I was getting at, and I think that's fair. I didn't backtrack in the slightest. I didn't say Nash would get the same return as Heatley anywhere, and I didn't say the situations were identical. The only 'opinion' I really stated was that I think at the very least the Nash will not return the same trade value he would have had the situation not evolved the way it did. I think that's a pretty fair statement.
Very true, because in any other situation he wouldn't be traded at all and so no trade value would have come back.

We get it. You don't like him. You think he's Heatley 2.0. You consequently don't want him in San Jose. That's fine. You're at least being less crude than most of the haters out there, so point to you. But your stretches to try to keep vainly justifying this position are getting a little silly.

Old
05-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Wrong way to ask for a trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley
"When I signed in Ottawa two years ago, I felt it was to be an integral part of the team," Heatley said. "Over the last two years and more recently over the past year, I feel my role was diminished. This past season, it diminished a lot more.

"This is a straight hockey decision. I have nothing against the fans of Ottawa, or the city of Ottawa. I would like the opportunity to go somewhere where I can play to the best of my capabilities and be the player that I can be."
Right way to ask for a trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash
“I’ve been with these fans my whole career here. I love them no matter what. They’re a great fan base, loyal. They’ve been patient with this organization and with this team. No matter what the reception is I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for our fans.”

“I was informed by management that there was a rebuild, a reshape, in the team and I personally felt I could be a huge part of that towards bringing assets in,” he said. “In my view, that was the best thing for the team, the organization, and personally for my career.”

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:57 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Very true, because in any other situation he wouldn't be traded at all and so no trade value would have come back.

We get it. You don't like him. You think he's Heatley 2.0. You consequently don't want him in San Jose. That's fine. You're at least being less crude than most of the haters out there, so point to you. But your stretches to try to keep vainly justifying this position are getting a little silly.
That is totally untrue. I've never said any of that. You are putting words in my mouth.

My arguments have been only these:

1) Rich Nash is not worth Joe Pavelski in trade because of their relative similarity statistically and value based on cap hit. If the two players made the same amount, I wouldn't be making an issue out of it. As is, based on $ per point and ancillary value (defense, face offs, hitting, shot blocking, etc) I don't feel trading Joe Pavelski (or Logan Couture) would benefit the Sharks.

2) Rick Nash is overpaid at $7.8M for the production he has provided during his career. He would be easily the highest paid player on the Sharks but not the best player on the Sharks. I feel he's worth somewhere between $6-$7M.

3) That using the Heatley situation as a comparative, at least from 10,000 foot level, is fair. From the standpoint that a star player has asked for a trade and wields a very strict NTC and has provided a small list of teams. Just a baseline.

I don't hate Rick Nash, but I don't particularly want him on the Sharks for various, logical, reasons. I think he's a good player and a stand up guy, but does not fit with the Sharks salary structure or make-up right now. That's all.

Old
05-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
That is totally untrue. I've never said any of that. You are putting words in my mouth.

My arguments have been only these:

1) Rich Nash is not worth Joe Pavelski in trade because of their relative similarity statistically and value based on cap hit. If the two players made the same amount, I wouldn't be making an issue out of it. As is, based on $ per point and ancillary value (defense, face offs, hitting, shot blocking, etc) I don't feel trading Joe Pavelski (or Logan Couture) would benefit the Sharks.

2) Rick Nash is overpaid at $7.8M for the production he has provided during his career. He would be easily the highest paid player on the Sharks but not the best player on the Sharks. I feel he's worth somewhere between $6-$7M.

3) That using the Heatley situation as a comparative, at least from 10,000 foot level, is fair. From the standpoint that a star player has asked for a trade and wields a very strict NTC and has provided a small list of teams. Just a baseline.

I don't hate Rick Nash, but I don't particularly want him on the Sharks for various, logical, reasons. I think he's a good player and a stand up guy, but does not fit with the Sharks salary structure or make-up right now. That's all.
So you've never said Nash with the Sharks would be a repeat of the Heatley situation ?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
As for Nash being a downgrade from Pavelski, you make a horrific assumption that numbers are equivalent across teams. That said, I'm not interested in having this debate again because the only way it can be proven is if in fact the trade happens. However, if I'm playing a team that can run Thronton and Nash on the same line I would be absolutely terrified. The potential matchup problems that would present are unbelievable. Pavelski and Thornton - not quite as much.
People said the exact same thing about Heatley, and it proved to be a total failure. To the point that Heatley spent much of his time here on the 2nd and 3rd line away from JT.

Sharks have hopefully learned their lesson.
(emphasis added)

Who's this guy posting under your name, then?

Old
05-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Kev22

Quote:

Fortunately for Columbus, you won't be making the decision. Desperation to win has to factor into someone's decision here. Be it Howson or Wilson. Columbus needs to get in the playoffs and Wilson needs to put a roster together that gets them to the Cup to keep their jobs.

My personal opinion is that no one questions whether the Sharks will make the playoffs every year, it's if they can get past the second round. If they haven't done it with a roster that has as much skill and talent as this one, then it's time to look for other pieces that will help get the job done. There's been a lot of talk about logic in this thread and to me the most logical interested team should be the Sharks because of the connection/friendship between Thornton and Nash. It can't be dismissed. That said, it all comes down to how bad the Sharks want Nash (if they do at all, spare me the fan reaction). If they feel Nash will put them in the Cup finals, there will be absolutely no hesistation to deal a player like Pavelski and add assets to him. But if they don't feel Nash is that piece (for whatever reason, competitive or economic), then there won't be a deal between these two teams. Simple as that to me.

Frankly as a Columbus fan, I'm numb to the whole situation anymore and expect to be served a **** sandwich when Howson doesn't get relative equal value for Nash. I just don't have faith that Howson will get the job done. Obviously another issue entirely and probably for the CBJ board (stop now Viqsi).

I feel strongly that trading Rick Nash might be the worst thing that the Blue Jackets organization ever does, if it's possible to do worse than they already have. Based on the negative reaction from Sharks fans, it seems that trading for Nash in their minds might be the worst thing their organization ever does.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote