HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Get Too serious

Old
02-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Duffman

vCash: 500
Sabres Get Too serious

Quote:
Are the Sabres' too serious for their own good? Ville Leino thinks so.

The forward, in his first year with Buffalo, said Tuesday the team is finally having fun. It is also playing well. Those two go hand-in-hand, he says.

"Overall, guys are having a lot more fun out there," Leino said. "Sometimes it seems like, especially around here, I've noticed it gets a little serious. You forget to have fun, and you forget all those things you play hockey for. You get a lot more out of yourself if you're enjoying what you do."
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...Sabres+Edge%29

This is an interesting angle on the Sabres struggles.

In my mind it's vicious cycle...the Sabres hit a rough patch and start gripping to tight...which leads to more struggles and even more gripping...

By no means does it even address the root of the teams struggles but it doesn't help.

Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:18 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

You said it best here: By no means does it even address the root of the teams struggles but it doesn't help.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:39 AM
puckish66

I'm taking a liking to Leino. A little truth-telling doesn't hurt and is actually quite of refreshing. Earlier this season, he talked about the game presentation and quiet fans.

These are things most fans know about and agree with. If there's any anti-Leino sentiment, IMHO, it'll be because he's just engaged to our sister and he has no right having an opinion about the family's problems.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:41 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
You said it best here: By no means does it even address the root of the teams struggles but it doesn't help.
It could touch on the root cause, though, if the mood stems from the dour Ruff and his stifling system.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Duffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
It could touch on the root cause, though, if the mood stems from the dour Ruff and his stifling system.
I think it would contribute more to duration of the team's struggles. I personally think the team lacks personality. I have never questioned the players' desire to win, I just think they get down on themselves too much and lack the willingness to openly criticize one another (obviously this is just my impression as I am not in the locker room).

With regards to Ruff's dour mood and stiffling system, I've often thought that Ruff tends to coach to his team's strengths as a whole and doesn't use the strengths of his individual players in such a way that would add variability within his system. That's why players seemed to be held back under his system.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:36 AM
funkymag77

I actually think this has been a legit problem for the team the past couple of years. Not enough personalities to loosen the mood in the locker room. Maybe it'll change with these new guys.

funkymag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:40 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I'm taking a liking to Leino. A little truth-telling doesn't hurt and is actually quite of refreshing. Earlier this season, he talked about the game presentation and quiet fans.

These are things most fans know about and agree with. If there's any anti-Leino sentiment, IMHO, it'll be because he's just engaged to our sister and he has no right having an opinion about the family's problems.
I am so team Leino its not even funny.

Ever since 24/7 I haven't been able to shake the notion that this team just isn't fun; isn't likeable like, for instances, the Rangers are.

As a wise hockey philosopher once said: "Why you heff to be mad?"

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 10:43 AM
slip

Classic chicken/egg scenario: are they happy because they've found a little success, or did they find a little success because they're happier?

I personally think the players used the all star break to recharge the mental batteries, and so the product on the ice is much improved. Obviously the healthiest roster in months helps too.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:04 AM
gallagt01

I really enjoy this quote from Leino, and it's an interesting take on our struggles. Slumping teams dwell on things more often than not and it doesn't help in bringing a team out of a funk.

I like that Leino speaks his mind. Coming from two teams that made solid post season runs, I think his perspective is one the organization should adhere to.

I also hope he doesn't catch flak for saying this. Decorated in dollar signs or not, under performing or not, he's a member of the team and active participant of the culture in the room.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:06 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I wonder if this had anything to do with the little skirmish that McCormick had with Leino in practice?

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:09 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I wonder if this had anything to do with the little skirmish that McCormick had with Leino in practice?
I never heard anything about this. What happened?

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Well I'll probably get banned for this but hockey is like...intimacy with your, partner. If you aren't in a good mood and relaxed, it wont be as passionate. It's still great to play the game, so to speak, but not as great as it once was. oh boy...

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Duffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Well I'll probably get banned for this but hockey is like...intimacy with your, partner. If you aren't in a good mood and relaxed, it wont be as passionate. It's still great to play the game, so to speak, but not as great as it once was. oh boy...

Why would you get banned for that? I thought it was a funny analogy.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:18 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnell View Post
I never heard anything about this. What happened?
They had a little shoving match that was broken up by teammates. No punches thrown. Not sure what caused it, but it's not uncommon for tempers to flare in practice.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Duffman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
They had a little shoving match that was broken up by teammates. No punches thrown. Not sure what caused it, but it's not uncommon for tempers to flare in practice.
When did that happen?

Old
02-08-2012, 11:22 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
When did that happen?
Yesterday, I believe.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:17 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.thehosers.com/2012/02/day...=Google+Reader

Quote:
The Sabres are on their third of three days off without a game, but that isn't to say that their time away from competitive hockey hasn't been eventful. Between Lindy Ruff breaking three ribs in practice yesterday from a collision with Jordan Leopold and Cody McCormick getting into a verbal altercation with Ville Leino at practice today, Sabreland has had plenty to talk about. Despite the shenanigans, I'm not really worried about the impact of the events of the past few days.

For me, the more dramatic of the two happenings has got to be the Leino-McCormick ordeal. Sure, Bucky Gleason is probably the king of I-told-you-sos this afternoon, but I'm not willing to believe that this is an indication of some deeper discord between teammates. Leino has up to this point not seemed to mesh well in Buffalo, and at one point he was giving off a strong vibe that he was utterly disappointed in his decision to sign with the Sabres. Leino has, however, had flashes of promise through a season of disappointment, but that's a story for another post.

People get in altercations, physical, verbal, whatever. In the heat of the moment, tempers will flare, especially when an intensely physical sport is involved. Best friends fight. Spouses fight. It's human. But these people also forgive, and in the absence of forgiveness, people can still work with each other and accomplish tremendous things. Bill Murray and Chevy Chase hated each other at the time Caddyshack was filmed. But if you don't think that their only scene together (the one in Carl Spackler's apartment) is one of the best in the movie, you're on something.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:19 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

To be honest, I think a little in-fighting is healthy. Not a ton, but once in a while it's good.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:54 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
To be honest, I think a little in-fighting is healthy. Not a ton, but once in a while it's good.
At the very least is shows these players have a pulse.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:57 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Why so serious?!

Leino was just doing his Joker imitation.

Or, much like my avatar
<----

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
No team bowling outting this year?

02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
No team bowling outting this year?
They need to bring Ted Nolan back for his team bonding trips while in Canada that relaxed the boys.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:51 PM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngersEyeball View Post
Why so serious?!

Leino was just doing his Joker imitation.
He did play for Jokerit.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
They need to bring Ted Nolan back for his team bonding trips while in Canada that relaxed the boys.

Except those alienated the lone star they had....

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

The moral of this story: The Sabres need Andrew Peters.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote