HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts please stop playing Brian Boyle late when losing

Old
02-09-2012, 10:13 PM
trilobyte

vCash: 500
Lots of negativity for Boyle.

The team is winning. He's part of it. You can't have it both ways.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

like i said. i think brian boyle is a borderline elite 4th line center.

when hes playing that game, with that type of minutes, hes outstanding. when he's your 3rd line center, you have problems.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:33 AM
trilobyte

Yes, if you want to analyze Brian Boyle's role, you would say he is a 4th line centre. I don't agree that he is borderline at all. He is definitely a guy that a lot of teams would want on their 4th line.
The real trick is who is he surrounded by? I'm not saying that Boyle is a guy you build a line around, I am saying that a guy who is as big as Boyle is, who skates as good as Boyle does, who can do half-decently well at faceoffs as Boyle does, is a guy you keep.

Sometimes, I really wonder what people expect. There are players who never see a fraction of the chances that Boyle does. I find it hard to believe that people would think that those chances happen accidentally. Like the Rangers have all these other guys who do nothing but score when given those chances, but the argument is wrong as those players aren't really manufacturing chances to screw up on. Why pick on Boyle?

I do agree that he cannot finish very well, and if your objection is that it should be some other guy that is getting those chances, and actually putting them in the net, then I am with you and we are both armchair coaches pointing out the same problem. Get a real bonafide scorer and then juggle the roster, and then see who is in and who is out.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Pizza

I have come to a conclusion. Now, it's just my opinion. After reading comments about Brian Boyle this season, my conclusion is that a large number of posters simply do not understand how hockey games are played and won.

I have no illusions about Boyle as a player he is far from perfect. He would be the first to admit it.

We have a coach with a system that wins with the players currently available. Boyle is completely dedicated to that system and as a result the coach is dedicated to him. He executes the system well. He does not score well.

Carl Hagelin and Ryan Callahan are better examples of the what the perfect player for this system would look like. But those players are few and far between. We're fortunate to have them. And we'll find more. It will take time.

Until then we have Boyle. Flawed but dedicated.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:13 AM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
Brian Boyle is the perfect 3rd line center. He is the perfect guy to send out against the other team's best lines because he makes every shift count. He hasn't scored as much this season, but his penalty killing, checking, forechecking, and overall defensive game are fantastic. He's basically what John Madden was for the Devils during their cup runs, only a foot taller(ish).

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:14 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I have come to a conclusion. Now, it's just my opinion. After reading comments about Brian Boyle this season, my conclusion is that a large number of posters simply do not understand how hockey games are played and won.

I have no illusions about Boyle as a player he is far from perfect. He would be the first to admit it.

We have a coach with a system that wins with the players currently available. Boyle is completely dedicated to that system and as a result the coach is dedicated to him. He executes the system well. He does not score well.

Carl Hagelin and Ryan Callahan are better examples of the what the perfect player for this system would look like. But those players are few and far between. We're fortunate to have them. And we'll find more. It will take time.

I think some people want to have a 4th line that scores 15 goals each. Just not realistic.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:18 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGravesNight View Post
Brian Boyle is the perfect 3rd line center. He is the perfect guy to send out against the other team's best lines because he makes every shift count. He hasn't scored as much this season, but his penalty killing, checking, forechecking, and overall defensive game are fantastic. He's basically what John Madden was for the Devils during their cup runs, only a foot taller(ish).
Madden was better offensively.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
like i said. i think brian boyle is a borderline elite 4th line center.

when hes playing that game, with that type of minutes, hes outstanding. when he's your 3rd line center, you have problems.
He's pretty much been our 3rd line center all year and the only problems we're facing right now is whether we'll lead the league in pts or just the east.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Yes, if you want to analyze Brian Boyle's role, you would say he is a 4th line centre. I don't agree that he is borderline at all. He is definitely a guy that a lot of teams would want on their 4th line.
Pretty sure he said "borderline elite"

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:15 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Boyle obviously read this thread.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:47 AM
True Blue

Quote:
That is true. If you play the way that Torts wants you to play and you do what he asks, then he will be loyal to you. Boyle accomplishes that.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:49 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGravesNight View Post
He's basically what John Madden was for the Devils during their cup runs, only a foot taller(ish).
I have defended Boyle, but let's not go overboard. Boyle is not anywhere near the player that Madden was.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:57 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:

The Rangers a like a football team that runs the ball down your throat. When we're on our game, we wear down the opponent's defense with our cycle game, and Boyle is a key part of that game. Just about any line you put him on will be able to maintain offensive zone pressure down low because of his size and skating.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Sad thing is, I can recall every game that Boyle has scored in.
sadder thing is,i can recall every game Dubi has scored in

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
sadder thing is,i can recall every game Dubi has scored in
Let me try:
Carolina
Islanders
Florida
Flyers
Penguins
What was the other one?
Edit: caps game where we lost.
I even remember precisely how each goal was scored.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:51 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:
Let me try:
Carolina
Islanders
Florida
Flyers
Penguins
What was the other one?
Washington.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Let me try:
Carolina
Islanders
Florida
Flyers
Penguins
What was the other one?
Edit: caps game where we lost.
I even remember precisely how each goal was scored.
i believe hes scored in 2 games vs the Flyers,dont quote me on that though.its pretty bad we can pretty much recall all of his goals so far this season without looking it up lol

edit: i stand corrected,Zenith got it(as did you,seen your edit now) lol

Old
02-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

At least we're 5-1 when DubI scores. Lol.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
At least we're 5-1 when DubI scores. Lol.
true.

if he can pick it up for the rest of the regular season and go into stache mode in the playoffs,all will be forgotten.

Old
02-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
true.

if he can pick it up for the rest of the regular season and go into stache mode in the playoffs,all will be forgotten.
Although its a small sample size, he's got pretty good numbers in the playoffs. Plus, he's better in physical games.

Old
02-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Although its a small sample size, he's got pretty good numbers in the playoffs. Plus, he's better in physical games.
i agree.the playoffs are much more physical grinding games,which is why hes been so good in them so far.not as up and down as some regular season games are.

Old
02-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
i agree.the playoffs are much more physical grinding games,which is why hes been so good in them so far.not as up and down as some regular season games are.
Granted, one of the goals was one of the flukiest goals ever, in game 3 last year.

Old
02-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Dubi can pick a spot. Unfortunately, it takes him 5 minutes to shoot the puck!

Old
02-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
He's pretty much been our 3rd line center all year and the only problems we're facing right now is whether we'll lead the league in pts or just the east.
a pretty myopic way of looking at what i said. you don't think the fact that we are in 3rd place has anything to do with Boyle does it? To me there are a few huge reasons why this team is in first place, and im going to break them down in order of what I feel is the most impactful.

1)The emergence of Ryan McDonagh. No reason bigger than what this kid has done. Frankly, every day this kid should have a "mancrush" type thread. He's in his first full season as a professional, and he's playing top pairing minutes, and honestly, on most night I truly feel he has outplayed every defenseman we have. I think he may actually be better this year than Staal was last year, which was the best defensive effort i've seen since we had the Leetch-Beuke tandem. Ryan McDonagh is already a star in this league....it's just amazing how frikkin good this kid is. And its not just in the flashy ways. You see him make some outstanding offensive moves, show some skill that he clearly has but has yet to bring every game. Its his game in the defensive zone that is spectacular. Guy blocks as many shots as Girardi, guy skates better than any defenseman we have. His one on one coverage is already bordering on elite. Ryan McDonaghs emergence saved this team, because losing Marc Staal should have been a death blow.

2)Henrik Lundqvist. Henrik has always been a great goalie. This season he's on pace to shatter all of his career numbers. What's better than a great goalie? If he doesn't win the Vezina it will be absolute B.S.

3)Gaborik. Gabby has been a machine on most night. When he isn't scoring, hes backing their D up. When he isn't backing their D up he is backchecking hard. Guy has played every bit as well as I expected him to coming off of last years off year.

4)Dan Girardi. Girardi is down this list because I really feel he was just underappreciated last year...I think he's played about as well as he did last year, but the perceived fact of Staal protecting him, rather than them both being really good, has altered perceptions. He's awesome, he's a keeper.

5)John Tortorella. The coach is awesome, the players believe him, and he gets every ounce of effort and mental fortitude that he can squeeze out of his team.

Those are the reasons we are in first place imho. Brian Boyle isn't the problem, the problem is we don't have adequate talent to properly divide the ice time. I also don't think Brian Boyle is nearly as good defensively as people make him out to be. He's good, he's not elite.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
a pretty myopic way of looking at what i said. you don't think the fact that we are in 3rd place has anything to do with Boyle does it? To me there are a few huge reasons why this team is in first place, and im going to break them down in order of what I feel is the most impactful.

1)The emergence of Ryan McDonagh. No reason bigger than what this kid has done. Frankly, every day this kid should have a "mancrush" type thread. He's in his first full season as a professional, and he's playing top pairing minutes, and honestly, on most night I truly feel he has outplayed every defenseman we have. I think he may actually be better this year than Staal was last year, which was the best defensive effort i've seen since we had the Leetch-Beuke tandem. Ryan McDonagh is already a star in this league....it's just amazing how frikkin good this kid is. And its not just in the flashy ways. You see him make some outstanding offensive moves, show some skill that he clearly has but has yet to bring every game. Its his game in the defensive zone that is spectacular. Guy blocks as many shots as Girardi, guy skates better than any defenseman we have. His one on one coverage is already bordering on elite. Ryan McDonaghs emergence saved this team, because losing Marc Staal should have been a death blow.

2)Henrik Lundqvist. Henrik has always been a great goalie. This season he's on pace to shatter all of his career numbers. What's better than a great goalie? If he doesn't win the Vezina it will be absolute B.S.

3)Gaborik. Gabby has been a machine on most night. When he isn't scoring, hes backing their D up. When he isn't backing their D up he is backchecking hard. Guy has played every bit as well as I expected him to coming off of last years off year.

4)Dan Girardi. Girardi is down this list because I really feel he was just underappreciated last year...I think he's played about as well as he did last year, but the perceived fact of Staal protecting him, rather than them both being really good, has altered perceptions. He's awesome, he's a keeper.

5)John Tortorella. The coach is awesome, the players believe him, and he gets every ounce of effort and mental fortitude that he can squeeze out of his team.

Those are the reasons we are in first place imho. Brian Boyle isn't the problem, the problem is we don't have adequate talent to properly divide the ice time. I also don't think Brian Boyle is nearly as good defensively as people make him out to be. He's good, he's not elite.
I don't disagree with any of the rest of that. The part that confused me was you saying "when he's your 3rd line center, you have problems." He's been our third line center and we haven't had problems. He's averaging just under 15 minutes a game, 7th highest on the team for forwards which very much makes him our third line center. He logs the second most time for forwards (behind Cally) on the PK. I'm not going to sit here and say Brian Boyle is the reason we're tied for second in the NHL (with games at hand on both the team ahead and the one we're tied with), but I do think he's been great for us as that third line checking center. I don't think you have problems with him there, I think it's great to have him there.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote