HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts please stop playing Brian Boyle late when losing

Old
02-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I don't disagree with any of the rest of that. The part that confused me was you saying "when he's your 3rd line center, you have problems." He's been our third line center and we haven't had problems. He's averaging just under 15 minutes a game, 7th highest on the team for forwards which very much makes him our third line center. He logs the second most time for forwards (behind Cally) on the PK. I'm not going to sit here and say Brian Boyle is the reason we're tied for second in the NHL (with games at hand on both the team ahead and the one we're tied with), but I do think he's been great for us as that third line checking center. I don't think you have problems with him there, I think it's great to have him there.
and we have had problems...we've been shutout what...5 times this year? 13th ranked offense despite having Gaborik and Richards? if we had better depth up top (more top 6 forwards and fewer bottom 6 forwards) this should easily be a top 5 offensive team. Our strategy is sound. Play strong defensively, pressure the puck all the way up the ice, etc, etc, etc.

Rangers are still 1 big offensive piece from being a team like Bawstun...one that's elite offensive AND defensively. Right now this team has 1/2 the puzzle down pat. Defensively...none better. Offensively, a lot to be desired.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
and we have had problems...we've been shutout what...5 times this year? 13th ranked offense despite having Gaborik and Richards? if we had better depth up top (more top 6 forwards and fewer bottom 6 forwards) this should easily be a top 5 offensive team. Our strategy is sound. Play strong defensively, pressure the puck all the way up the ice, etc, etc, etc.

Rangers are still 1 big offensive piece from being a team like Bawstun...one that's elite offensive AND defensively. Right now this team has 1/2 the puzzle down pat. Defensively...none better. Offensively, a lot to be desired.
I don't disagree with most of this either. But to use the pharse that should now always be associate with Antrel Rolle (for anyone not getting this click this http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcast...g=&dcid=CBS.NY it's worth it), at the end of the day we're winning at a higher rate than any other team in the league. All the stats don't matter, the games aren't played on paper. Plus our offensive "struggles" are really over exaggerated probably because of our past reputation of not scoring. But 13th isn't crazy low. We've proven that combined with all the other aspects of the way we play it's good enough to beat everyone. At the end of the day, that's all that matters, at the end of the day.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:45 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Tell me why this thread exists if one doesn't exist for Anisimov also?

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:39 AM
Fanned On It

lol remember that time Boyle tied the game 3-3 and sent us into overtime to get the win?

I do.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:06 AM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFiGS42 View Post
I think Boyle should be playing 20minutes a game...in the ahl, guys useless and when we signed Rupp I was hoping that was the end of boyle
That's funny, because when Rupp was signed, I expected that it was Sean Avery that was out the door...because they have similar skill sets, but Rupp is a heavyweight.

As for Brian Boyle...he doesn't exactly HURT the Rangers offensively and he is a big body to screen the goalie.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Torts likes to put two centers on the ice who can win faceoffs near the end of the game. This usually means the first unit is Richards+Dubinsky, and the second is Boyle+Anisimov. This rotates based on who is having a better night on faceoffs.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:57 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Because Anisimov is 6th on the team in scoring?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:39 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

isn't Boyle our best faceoff man? It's like why would you put Blair Betts on the ice in the last 5 min of a game?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:47 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
isn't Boyle our best faceoff man? It's like why would you put Blair Betts on the ice in the last 5 min of a game?
Why would you put Blair Betts on the ice for the last 5 minutes of a game? If you're put him out there to take a faceoff he better be off the ice as soon as the team has control.

Boyle is much better than Betts, that's for sure, but if I'm losing I'm putting on my guys who have the highest chance of scoring. Boyle scoring with 9:47 to go in the Tampa Bay game doesn't change that.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote