HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

New to Football (questions, etc)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2013, 03:11 AM
  #201
Franck
Insolent Upstart
 
Franck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,019
vCash: 50
The insurances the clubs have cover a percentage of the players wages if he suffers an injury. Since a dead player wouldn't be getting paid any wages the clubs would not get any insurance money in such a situation.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:21 AM
  #202
Stray Wasp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Deptford
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,947
vCash: 500
A few years back I heard a BBC radio story about some EPL clubs having insurance against relegation. That was at least one TV deal ago, mind.

I'd suppose insurers will make out a policy for anything, provided they feel the income from their premium outweighs the risk of paying out.

Given so many clubs struggle to meet their wage bills and transfer instalments, it's logical that they'd not bother with life insurance, even were it available.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:39 PM
  #203
les Habs
Registered User
 
les Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Country: United States
Posts: 10,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Wasp View Post
A few years back I heard a BBC radio story about some EPL clubs having insurance against relegation. That was at least one TV deal ago, mind.

I'd suppose insurers will make out a policy for anything, provided they feel the income from their premium outweighs the risk of paying out.

Given so many clubs struggle to meet their wage bills and transfer instalments, it's logical that they'd not bother with life insurance, even were it available.
Yeah, what I was thinking.

I'm just thinking say a team's plane crashes for example. Do the clubs take out policies for an instance like that? Anyway, it's all in the realm of fantasy, but I'm just curious.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:16 PM
  #204
gary69
Registered User
 
gary69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Then and there
Posts: 2,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
Yeah, what I was thinking.

I'm just thinking say a team's plane crashes for example. Do the clubs take out policies for an instance like that? Anyway, it's all in the realm of fantasy, but I'm just curious.
Can't really speak for all the teams or even for football in general, so it's safe to say it varies for each club, same as for any other company in any other business.

PLCs definitely have to based on good governance rules, otherwise it's more up to owners and rules of the competitions they're participating in. In some countries the players (like any other persons) are covered by government insurance policies as well.

Insurance companies also have their say, for example regarding air travel only certain airline companies, plane types or airports may be covered.

The clubs for which the insurancies are more or less voluntary, are unlikely to go for all-inclusive coverage, either. For example, if they've (almost) sold out all the season tickets (and likely to do so in future seasons as well), it's hard to argue for shareholders for full insurance coverage, at least for all the players.

Stadium etc., for sure, but beyond that clubs are looking to insure only players with either great (contract/re-sale) value or huge salaries (compared to annual turnover) for multiple seasons.

For example, likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Bale insured for sure for a huge amount, Sylvain Armand (PSG), Michael Essien (Chelsea) and Emir Spahic (Anzhi) much less so.

gary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:35 PM
  #205
Jp20
Registered User
 
Jp20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Chile
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Is it the right size or should i return it? (soccer cleats)?
i just bought these nike mercurial veloce size 8 US. im usually a 7.5 and when i played for the first time with them the felt small. with the sole i can barely fit my index finger when i push forward with my foot. but with out the sole i can fit my middle finger at the back. HELP. i dont know if its supposed to feel tight and small (the mercurial)

Jp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:27 PM
  #206
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back
 
Wee Baby Seamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp20 View Post
Is it the right size or should i return it? (soccer cleats)?
i just bought these nike mercurial veloce size 8 US. im usually a 7.5 and when i played for the first time with them the felt small. with the sole i can barely fit my index finger when i push forward with my foot. but with out the sole i can fit my middle finger at the back. HELP. i dont know if its supposed to feel tight and small (the mercurial)
They should be skin tight, molded perfectly to your foot.

Wee Baby Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:26 PM
  #207
Jp20
Registered User
 
Jp20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Chile
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Baby Seamus View Post
They should be skin tight, molded perfectly to your foot.
thank you. but im worried how long they will last :/

Jp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 02:50 PM
  #208
Diskothek
Registered User
 
Diskothek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 500
Is there much hope of clubs promoting to EPL to stick for a long haul without a rich owner that can spend on top players? Are there teams that are consistently moving up and down every year or few years? The promotion/relegation system is so foreign to me as a US sports fan.

How are US players viewed abroad, especially when they come over to Euro clubs. Have they made a decent name for themselves? Do people not think much of it, just another player they hope will perform well?

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 04:19 PM
  #209
Brodie
aaron burr, sir
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 14,011
vCash: 500
It really depends on the club. Lately, promoted clubs have been doing very well at staying up. And yes, there are usually a few yo-yo clubs who bounce up and down thanks to the parachute payments the EPL gives them to replace lost tv revenue. There are others, though, who collapse and end up relegated to the third division, like Wolverhampton last year.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 04:34 PM
  #210
tobo
Registered User
 
tobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
Other famous examples are "the-train-wreck-called-Leeds", Derby County, Notts County, Coventry and Portsmouth.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 05:10 AM
  #211
Stray Wasp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Deptford
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
Is there much hope of clubs promoting to EPL to stick for a long haul without a rich owner that can spend on top players? Are there teams that are consistently moving up and down every year or few years? The promotion/relegation system is so foreign to me as a US sports fan.

How are US players viewed abroad, especially when they come over to Euro clubs. Have they made a decent name for themselves? Do people not think much of it, just another player they hope will perform well?
There's a long tradition of clubs with relatively meagre resources defying the odds to stay in the top tier for a long stretch; a tradition that continues to the present day. Smaller clubs sometimes benefit from having more realistic strategies than some of their better-supported, better-funded rivals.

EPL player contracts are hardly worth the paper they're written on; the consequence is that its hard for most clubs to retain talent, let alone strengthen. English football is also blessed with an abundance of medium-sized clubs that have the potential to attract 25-33,000 strong crowds, so inevitably certain clubs bounce between the top two tiers with relative frequency, just as lower down certain clubs bounce between the second and third, or third and fourth tiers.

The last fifteen years or so an increasing number of EPL clubs have made the strategic decision to stake their financial security on avoiding relegation. When relegation comes, they find themselves trapped in a cycle of decline: sell players and cut the wage bill to reduce costs, field a weaker team, fail to win promotion, sell more players and on and on.

I think US players are very much judged as individuals. There's a general consciousness that the Yanks aren't mugs any more, but while the States has produced a fair few admirable players in the last decade or so, I'd argue that a genuine world-class attacking talent is yet to emerge. American players therefore tend not to excite people's imaginations as much as, say Argentinians, Brazilians, Frenchmen or Spaniards.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:46 PM
  #212
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 19,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp20 View Post
thank you. but im worried how long they will last :/
Put them on and dip your feet in rather hot water. Leather is very stretchable. In fact it's pretty common to buy size too small and do that.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:40 AM
  #213
vsk92
Alltid IFK
 
vsk92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Scotland.
Country: Finland
Posts: 7,529
vCash: 500
Are there local free football pitches which people can use in most American cities? or do you have to pay/book them.

In the area of Glasgow that I live in there is only a 5-a-side complex which is 5 an hour per person.
My old school has a grass pitch but isn't in the best conditions.
Also a great 3G astro turf pitch but the gates are always locked and you have book in advance.

All which is very disappointing for a city that loves football.


Last edited by vsk92: 08-01-2013 at 12:26 PM.
vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:45 PM
  #214
Diskothek
Registered User
 
Diskothek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
Are there local free football pitches which people can use in most American cities? or do you have to pay/book them.

In the area of Glasgow that I live in there is only a 5-a-side complex which is 5 an hour per person.
My old school has a grass pitch but isn't in the best conditions.
Also a great 3G astro turf pitch but the gates are always locked and you have book in advance.

All which is very disappointing for a city that loves football.
There are a few around where I live (near Boston). Some aren't gated so you can go whenever and as long as there isn't a local league playing you can do whatever. The nicest one I know of near me is Pope John Paul II Park: http://www.bostonharborwalk.com/plac...p?nid=2&sid=11 Has a couple nice fields right by the water.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:55 AM
  #215
Edonator
The Mightiest Club
 
Edonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vancouver
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 5,320
vCash: 500
Does anybody know of reliable sites to buy jerseys from, and if they ship to Canada?

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 04:40 AM
  #216
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back
 
Wee Baby Seamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonator View Post
Does anybody know of reliable sites to buy jerseys from, and if they ship to Canada?
You're often best off buying from the team's website. I just bought a Chelsea jersey (David Luiz #4) from the Chelsea store, shipped to my house in Halifax in 3 weeks

Wee Baby Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:07 AM
  #217
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 13,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Baby Seamus View Post
You're often best off buying from the team's website. I just bought a Chelsea jersey (David Luiz #4) from the Chelsea store, shipped to my house in Halifax in 3 weeks
New away shirt?

I agree with this option, but I believe Edonator wanted a "cheaper", less "legit" option

I used one to get a hockey jersey/sweater once, but it was definitely not authentic and I wasn't really satisified with what I got.

I think there are other options like SportsDirect, Kitbag and sites like that. I don't know if they ship to Canada though.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:54 AM
  #218
Evilo
Registered User
 
Evilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 30,600
vCash: 500
Kitbag is great.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:48 PM
  #219
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back
 
Wee Baby Seamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
New away shirt?
Nope, this year's home shirt, with Premier League patches

Wee Baby Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:20 AM
  #220
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Auckland
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 20,755
vCash: 750
Why don't defenders just always run ahead of the other team's players so they are put offside?

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:22 AM
  #221
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,515
vCash: 500
Awards:
Timing that is very difficult. The attackers will just move back further and further and you can't set your defensive line up at the halfway line because there is no offside if the runner is at the halfway line.

That is essentially what teams are doing when they play a high line, though.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:43 AM
  #222
Duchene2MacKinnon
La Joya!
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,513
vCash: 400
I really want something like NHL gamecenter for football. I'd pay through the nose for it.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:13 AM
  #223
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?
 
MrFunnyWobbl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: My House, Duh.
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,796
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
okay, I've been watching football for a couple years now and it all makes sense when I watch it, but according to FIFA 14, the offside rules are ****ed. Is this actually the rules or just FIFA, I never see it in real football.

When a guy shoots and a goalie saves it and a guy picks up the rebound who was offside when shot was taken thats offside even though opposing team touched it?

If guy A is offside and a player passes to guy B who is onside and the pass goes near guy A on its way to guy B its offside even though he never touched it?

Player is even, offside?

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 05:13 AM
  #224
Stray Wasp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Deptford
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Why don't defenders just always run ahead of the other team's players so they are put offside?
In addition to LITN's point, offside is best played when your team is pressurising the opponent in possession. If the bloke on the ball has time to pick his pass, more often than not the offside trap will be sprung and the only thing that saves the defence is an erroneous flag.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 07:23 AM
  #225
Stray Wasp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Deptford
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
okay, I've been watching football for a couple years now and it all makes sense when I watch it, but according to FIFA 14, the offside rules are ****ed. Is this actually the rules or just FIFA, I never see it in real football.

When a guy shoots and a goalie saves it and a guy picks up the rebound who was offside when shot was taken thats offside even though opposing team touched it?
If guy A is offside and a player passes to guy B who is onside and the pass goes near guy A on its way to guy B its offside even though he never touched it?

Player is even, offside?
In the bolded case, the player is judged to be 'active'- and therefore deserving to be penalised- because being offside when the shot is struck gives him the advantage of reaching the rebound ahead of everyone else. In my experience they're always penalised for offside.

As regards the second scenario I've seen offside given and not given in different circumstances.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.