HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Around the NHL Part XXV

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2012, 08:47 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
What's funny is that people still list Philly as one of the top contenders in the East... We've beaten Philly 4 times this season yet we often times get left out of the contender discussion. Fine with me, though. I'd rather be underestimated and the underdog going into the playoffs. Let people think they'd rather face us. They'll get a swift kick in the face by our "no-name defense" and our "weak offense."
Have you not watched Saturday's game yet?

Old
02-13-2012, 09:44 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Well, the West is no doubt stronger than the East, but if they want to take the Rangers down a peg, the only legit reason is the absence of Crosby and how good the Pens would be if he was playing. I guess you could make a similar argument for Pronger in Philly, but I don't think he makes the Flyers better than the Rangers. I do think the Pens might be the best team in the East if Crosby was healthy. As I've said before, I don't think the Bruins win the Cup last year, either, if Crosby plays.
Well sure. But that would still make the Rangers the 4th seed by a large, large margin of points at this point in the season. Crosby makes the Pens better than us (i'll even argue that Malkin playing like he is now all season makes the Pens better than us) but i'll take our D and goaltending 10 times out of 10 over them.

I think the teams are close when you take that into account.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
What's funny is that people still list Philly as one of the top contenders in the East... We've beaten Philly 4 times this season yet we often times get left out of the contender discussion. Fine with me, though. I'd rather be underestimated and the underdog going into the playoffs. Let people think they'd rather face us. They'll get a swift kick in the face by our "no-name defense" and our "weak offense."
are you talking about posters here on HF boards?

I watch NHL Network, the NBCSN pre-games and a lot of games on Center Ice and the Rangers are always talked about as contenders.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:21 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Well, the West is no doubt stronger than the East, but if they want to take the Rangers down a peg, the only legit reason is the absence of Crosby and how good the Pens would be if he was playing. I guess you could make a similar argument for Pronger in Philly, but I don't think he makes the Flyers better than the Rangers. I do think the Pens might be the best team in the East if Crosby was healthy. As I've said before, I don't think the Bruins win the Cup last year, either, if Crosby plays.
It will probably take more points to make the playoffs in the east this year than the west (first time in a while that has happened) and for my money, the three strongest Stanley Cup contenders are the Rangers, Bruins and Penguins.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Philly's defense took a big hit losing Pronger. And the goalies have been getting a lot of complaints from the fans, some of it fair. A large amount of money was invested in Bryzgalov and I think there are those who expected instant, dramatic results.

But forwards can play defense, too. And when you trade Jeff Carter, who is a decent defensive forward for the offense he brings, and you trade Mike Richards and Darroll Powe, who are strong defensively and you lose Blair Betts as well to injury, well that's a significant loss of defensive ability among your forward corps. Those players were on the ice for a lot of minutes, which have now been given to less defensively responsible players.

Bringing in Jagr, Voracek, Simmonds and Talbot does not replace the defensive abilities of those players lost at this point. The good news for Philly long term is that Schenn and Couturier should develop into filling a good portion of the gap. The problem is there is always pressure to win now. As a Flyers goalie, I'd rather see the likes of Mike Richards and Blair Betts on the ice when the puck's in my zone than Jaromir Jagr. Opposing forwards must get excited looking at that Flyers lineup knowing they won't meet much defensive resistance from that mix of top-end finesse forwards and borderline NHL goons. Richards used to do everything for the Flyers--played tough even strength minutes, power play, penalty kill, and while we laughed at it when he tangled with Dubinsky, he even fought. The lineup is not tough to play against compared to previous seasons.

I just think it's unfair to blame it all on whipping boys like Bryzgalov and Carle. It's a transition year, not a full-blown rebuild, so I think they've taken a step back but they'll be better as their promising young forwards develop.

Old
02-13-2012, 05:31 PM
BrianBoyle
↓ Perfection ↓

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
It will probably take more points to make the playoffs in the east this year than the west (first time in a while that has happened) and for my money, the three strongest Stanley Cup contenders are the Rangers, Bruins and Penguins.
Agreed.

I think the Western teams are weaker, and easier to exploit.

Detroit has trouble on the road, and their defense can be suspect. San Jose has questionable dedication. Vancouver has Luongo. Chicago is simply not ready to contend again. Nashville/St. Louis don't have any true gamebreaking goal scorers.

The only team that worries me right now would be Detroit -- and, obviously, they wouldn't be a problem until the SCF.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
02-13-2012, 05:47 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

The Columbus Blue Jackets need a complete "exercising of the demons." From the top down, everybody in that organization needs to go.

The culture of losing is so prevalent that after awhile, it just becomes infectious.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

vCash: 50
The team that scares me the most is St. Louis. They play exactly like us, and at the same level

Old
02-13-2012, 06:33 PM
BrianBoyle
↓ Perfection ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
The team that scares me the most is St. Louis. They play exactly like us, and at the same level
What they lack is a game breaker, though. They don't have a Gaborik or Richards on their team. And they lack depth on left defense.

They're SCARY on home ice, though. 23-3-3, IIRC.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:54 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
The Columbus Blue Jackets need a complete "exercising of the demons." From the top down, everybody in that organization needs to go.

The culture of losing is so prevalent that after awhile, it just becomes infectious.
It all starts in the agreement they have with the arena where they are basically red headed step children tenants. I don't have the exact agreement but they're not maximizing profit and actually don't make anything on concessions, etc. If someone could post the article that would be great.

They also play in a small market so that hurts them as well.

As far as the playoffs go; the teams in the East that scare me are Pittsburgh and Ottawa. Why Ottawa? Anderson seems to have the Rangers number this year. I'm not terrified of playing them, but they need to pepper him next time they play. We've all seen Rangers teams of past both upset higher seeds with a hot goalie (JD, Beezer) but also lose to teams they should have beat with a hot goalie (Liut in the 90 and 91 playoffs).

Pittsburgh is scary because Malkin is playing at an unbelievable level and Letang is back to being Letang. If the two teams meet in the playoffs with Crosby, while I believe the Rangers can finally take them and exorcise the playoff demons against the Pens, it is going to be a blood bath.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:14 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
What they lack is a game breaker, though. They don't have a Gaborik or Richards on their team. And they lack depth on left defense.

They're SCARY on home ice, though. 23-3-3, IIRC.
If they were as good at the skills competition as Detroit, we'd be talking about 2 teams breaking the record potentially. I think they're like 16-0-3 in their last 19 at home.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:15 PM
SnowblindNYR

BTW, anyone else rooting like crazy against Washington? I want no part of Washington in the playoffs again, especially a healthy Washington. Knowing our luck we'll finish first and get either Washington or Montreal in the first round.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
BTW, anyone else rooting like crazy against Washington? I want no part of Washington in the playoffs again, especially a healthy Washington. Knowing our luck we'll finish first and get either Washington or Montreal in the first round.
Definately. Rather Jumbo Joe win against, obviously, a tougher team than the NYR. Quite impressive.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:24 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
On one hand I agree with the old Ric Flair line "To be the man, you have to beat the man" so I'm fine with taking on whoever, however it would be nice to play a Florida or even Toronto (if the Rangers play them physical they are soft up front).

You always want to avoid Ovechkin however payback would be nice and that team just seems off this year. They remind me of the 92-93 Rangers.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Ruutu down. I repeat, Ruutu down.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Fail NESN. Says we're 5 points up on Boston. ****ing idiots don't realize we're 7 points up.

02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Mike Milbury is a ****ing tool.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
Mike Milbury is a ****ing tool.
Oh yeah, Eric Staal elbowing a player in the head after what happened to his brother is really the smart thing to do.
Why does he have a job around hockey?

Old
02-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Oh yeah, Eric Staal elbowing a player in the head after what happened to his brother is really the smart thing to do.
Why does he have a job around hockey?
At this rate, he won't for very much longer.

02-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
At this rate, he won't for very much longer.
This isn't the first time he's advocated cheapshotting someone either.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:32 PM
BrianBoyle
↓ Perfection ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Fail NESN. Says we're 5 points up on Boston. ****ing idiots don't realize we're 7 points up.
Hopefully will be nine tomorrow.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Is anyone else scared that MTL can make the PO's? Because unless we can either win all 4 games in MSG, or win a game in MTL, we are screwed.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:45 PM
YetAnotherNorwegian

San Jose is simply taking out the trash in Washington.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Love it when the Craps lose.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

damn caps scored

Closed Thread