HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The guys you wanted from the last drafts!

Old
10-11-2011, 11:12 PM
MrRoundtree

vCash: 500
The guys you wanted from the last drafts!

For me:

Started watching the draft in 2007

2007: Zach Hamill, (with 1st pick), Perron (with second pick) Kevin Marshall, Kevin Veilleux, Ruslan Bashrikov, Maxim Mayorov

I would have made a pretty sucky GM that year...

Interestingly, I was laughing my ass of when we drafted Subban, I thought we didn't need another D! Then I went of to see his stats and thought they were pretty good! Reports said he was like an attacker playing defense and that he will never make the NHL with his poor defensive play. I also remember that he said to Bob Gainey, ''you've made a hell of a choice''! I wished from there on good luck to PK and was thrilled to see what kind of enthusiastic guy he is.

When Hamill got picked I wished we could get Cherepanov or Esposito. I was more than happy with the Mcdonagh and Pacioretty pick though but the Quebec media were furious!

2008: My only interest was Tyler Myers, who I thought we had a shot at 25th. Other rounds included Yann Sauve, Jared Staal, Danick paquette, David Toews, Kirill Petrov, Stefanovich, Tokarski, Cormier.

Aftermath: I was pretty happy we traded the pick for Tanguay. The only pick I went unhappy for was Missaen, I thought we should have gotten Tokarski instead. I thought Timmins would have drafted Aaron Ness lol.

2009: Kassian was my choice. Other rounds included Roussel, Chiasson, Rajala, Tatar, Gabriel Bourque, Gabriel Dumont.

Aftermath: Got pretty happy with the Leblanc pick, would have liked Schroeder equally.

2010: My choice was by no doubt Emerson Etem and Galiev at first round, still shocked we didn't draft Etem but oh well, i'm happy with the Tinordi pick too. Then I wanted Brad Ross, Smith-Pelly, Gallagher, Pulkinnen, Bournival, Biega and maybe a shot at Kabanov. Most of my picks, besides Galiev for the first round (may be an NHL talent though) were good this year, pretty happy we came out with Bournival in the end. I was happy we got Gallagher too.

2011: My choices were Scheifele and Macneill. What a steal Scheifele seems to be for Winnipeg, I really thought was had a shot at him.

Last edited by MrRoundtree: 10-12-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: edited out comment that will do no good for the discussion
MrRoundtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:05 AM
PATCHESx67

in 2003 i wanted :

Jeff Carter
Dustin Brown
Brent Seabrook
Zach Parise
Ryan Getzlaf
Brent Burns
Ryan Kesler
Mike Richards
Corey Perry

what a GM i would of made

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Cayouche5

2002 :Wanted : Alexander Steen Drafted :Chris Higgins
To be fair, Higgins was 2nd on my list, both players have comparables career all in all
CH : 413gms 106g 91p 197pts AS :456gms 101g 149p 250pts

2003 :Wanted : Dion Phaneuf Drafted : Andrei Kostitsyn
I wanted Phaneuf, but i didn't think Kostitsyn would be available, so I was happy with the pick. Not so much now...

2004 :Wanted : Lukas Kaspar Drafted : Kyle Chipchura
I was pretty high on Kaspar, a big body with good skills. Wanted us to trade up to take Radulov, would have been great !!! Pretty sure Radu would rock the Bell Center.

2005 :Wanted : Anze Kopitar Drafted : Carey Price
While with a Halak/Kopitar tandem we would be in good shape, Price is becoming one of my favorites now, can't bet against him. Really like the Latendresse pick back in the days, still do.

2006 :Wanted : Patrick Berglund Drafted : David Fischer
While Giroux is a lot better than Berglund in my book, Berglund is a loooottttt better than Fischer, still mad with this wasted pick.

2007 : Wanted : Ian Cole Drafted : Ryan McDonagh
Wanted : David Perron Drafted : Max Pacioretty
Ian Cole, only if we trade down.
Still not sure if Pacioretty > Perron ...
Remember liking Billy Sweatt a lot, small super fast winger from Colorado College.

2008 : Wanted : Phil McRae Drafted : pick traded for Tanguay
Was pretty high on Kyle Beach, Phil McRae and Patrice Cormier back in the days.

2009: Wanted : Dmitri Kulikov Drafted : Louis Leblanc
With Kulikov gone, i was sastified with the Leblanc pick, still do.

2010: Wanted : Jarred Tinordi Drafted : Jarred Tinordi
I, obviously, liked the pick, while he hasn't shown a lot of flashes, I'm pretty confident with this pick.

2011: Wanted : Matt Puempel Drafted : Nathan Beaulieu
Like the Kostitsyn pick in '03, i didn't think Beaulieu would be available, still can't beleive this still, as for now. Puempel will be a pretty nice player is you ask me.

Cayouche5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:29 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

2003 :Wanted : Seabrooke or Parise. Had them about the same.

2004 :Wanted : Mike Green...thought he was best player in top prospect game that year and available late first round thought it would be a steal.

2005 :Wanted : Brule or Staal. Not a fan of drafting goalies high, boy would I have made a mistake on this one.

2006 :Wanted : Foligno. Again drafting late in first round thought he could be a feisty second liner.

2007 : Wanted : Ryan McDonagh. Second pick I wanted David Perron over Max Pacioretty another one I would have been wrong on. Didn't know enough on second round picks to judge one way or other.

2008 : Wanted : Nicholas Deschampes....not sure if he is still a prospect or not?

2009: Wanted : Louis Leblanc or Kreider. Didn't matter to me either one be a decent player.

2010: Wanted : Jarred Tinordi once they trade up, before that whoever slid.

2011: Wanted : McNeill...but Nathan Beaulieu probably better pick after rewatching Memorial Cup Finals.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:08 AM
neofury*

The only one I can remember being right about was McDonaugh. I remember saying I wanted us to pick him and that he would be available. Sure enough he was and we picked him.

The rest I've been pretty off on. Tinordi I was in complete shock but I'm not unhappy with the pick, Beaulieu I was in complete shock that he was available.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I really wanted Armia this year, I was so disappointed when he went to Buffalo RIGHT before us!

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:37 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I wanted Pulkkinen in the 2010 draft but we had no picks in the second or third and he got taken two picks before our first fourth rounder.

This year I wanted Armia pretty badly but I was more than fine with the Beaulieu pick. I also wanted Jensen to go with Eller but figured that wouldn't happen since we didn't have two firsts.

Hopefully in the 2012 draft we actually have picks in the second and third rounds.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:37 AM
vad87

I had a list before each draft but these choices were with the guys available when we picked.

2003: Carter, Getzlaf, Pouliot
I really wanted a big center or Phaneuf but CGY took him just before us.

2004: Wolski,Schremp
Not a deep 1st round but I thought Wolski would be a stellar winger...

2005: Kopitar, Bourdon, Staal
The only unsure thing about Kopitar was Slovenia and competition level. He was that big center we missed in 2003. Price wasn't a bad player just a question mark when we had already Theo and Garon. Staal and Bourdon seemed sure bets.

2006: Berglund, Sanguinetti
Once again, wanted that big skilled center with Berglund or an offensive d-man with Bob S.

2007: Cherepanov, Eller, McDonagh / Pacioretty, Veilleux
Home-run pick with Cherepanov despite the russian factor. Eller impressed me a lot at WJHC and I tought McDonagh was the 2nd best d-man behind Alzner. With the 22nd, a big forward was neened once again. I didn't like Perron as a small dangler and maybe a one hit wonder with Lewiston.

2008: Carlson, Jokinen
Tanguay McDonagh-Carlson as top pairing for years to come was my wish... And what about Jokinen, total bust

2009: Kreider, Morin (reach),Erixon
Wanted a sniper with Kreider or Morin. I wished that a team picked Leblanc before us to not have that ''moral obligation'' to pick the hometown boy. Not sure about him 2 years later...

2010: Merril, Nelson, Tinordi
I had Merril in my top 12 and when I heard '' from USA U-18 NTDP'' I was so freaking happy and sure that we got him... Tinordi wasn't a bad pick (I had him on my list) but like a lot of people, didn't like trading up with a 2nd pick for him even more with Merill available.

2011: Beaulieu, Jensen, Klefbom
Before the draft, I had Beaulieu in my top 10 probably picked by Boston (CBS with Hamilton but the Carter trade changed the things). It was a no-brainer to pick him. Jensen is the big skilled winger that we miss and Klefbom could be a nice 2-way d-man.

vad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Let's keep this on topic guys.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
Really wanted Pulkkinen and Hamill.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
I'll get more in depth when I have the time but for now

2011: I wanted Zachary Yuen from this past draft. Happy with Didier, whom I wanted too. For the first round, I really wanted either McNeill or Scheifele. Scheifele went higher than I expected and I didn't expect Beaulieu to drop the way he did, so I'm much happier that the Habs drafted him over McNeill. I was also high on Jensen as well but felt the Habs pick was a little too high for him.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Protest the Hero

I wanted all the best guys.

Only really paid attention last year, thinking Beaulieu would be long gone I wanted Schiefele(there was a point we thought he could fall to 17, ), or McNiel. I also thought we could've either drafted, or traded down and picked up Puempel, or Jensen.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

I started following the draft in 2006, and I usually only have some preferences towards first round picks. Anyways.

2006 : We drafted David Fischer. I wanted Giroux so bad because he was (and he is) my favorite player.
2007 : Nobody I really wanted. All I know is that I didn't want us to draft Esposito, as I thought his name spelled "bust".
2008 : Since we didn't have a first round pick, I didn't follow this draft.
2009 : Didn't know most of the player again, but didn't want us to draft Leblanc, as I feel he's not the type of player we needed for so long.
2010 : I'll be honest, I didn't know who the heck was Tinordi, and I wanted Pysyk so bad. I was also mad we didn't try to grab Pulkkinen by moving up in the 3rd round while he was still there.
2011 : I wanted McNeill more than Beaulieu.

Zaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Zeroknowledge*

2003 was the first draft that i followed seriously i remember wanting us drafting Dustin Brown baddly.

In 2004 i was delighted with the Chipchura pick, i wouldve liked Kaspar too.

In 2005 i was torn between Brule and Kopitar and when i Heard Price got drafted i turned off the tv.

In 2006 i did not want Fischer at all so much negative vibe before the draft. The guys i thought we should've went for were Berglund or Stewart and with Stewart gone i was hoping for Berglund but no....

In 2007 i remember wanting Mcdonaugh for the first pick and Backlund for the 2nd one.

In 2008 having kept the pick i would have snagged Jake Allen or Carlson but i was higher on Allen.

In 2009 i attended the draft and was hoping for Kreider or Josefson and was hoping we don't fall into the pressure and get the local kid.

In 2010 i wanted Etem mostly i was high on him and wasnt too sure about Tinordi

In 2011 with Bealieu available he was my pick wouldn't have minded Mcneil

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:35 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Since I only really started following in 2007:

2007:
Alexei Cherepanov
I thought he was going to be a total stud, and maybe he would have been. I did not want Esposito. In the end I was very happy with McDonagh and Pacioretty.

2008:
Kyle Beach
I didn't pay much attention to this draft but I really wanted Beach, when we traded our pick and he went like 10th anyway, I didn't really care. And I still support trading a 1st for Tanguay, it was a good move at the time.

2009:
Louis Leblanc
I waffled back and forth between Leblanc and Chris Kreider leading up to the draft, and in the end was happy to get Leblanc (though I still like Kreider). I also liked Carter Ashton.

2010:
Nick Bjugstad
Bjugstad was tops on my list with Brock Nelson a close second. I didn't even have Tinordi in mind, I thought we'd be going for a forward. I wasn't a fan of trading up to get him, but I like him as a prospect.

2011:
Nathan Beaulieu*
I put Beaulieu with an asterisk because he wasn't even on my list for the Habs - I thought there was no way he'd be there when we picked. As such, my #1 was a deadlock between Mark Scheifele and Mark McNeill but I was thrilled to get Beaulieu.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:37 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I'll get more in depth when I have the time but for now

2011: I wanted Zachary Yuen from this past draft. Happy with Didier, whom I wanted too. For the first round, I really wanted either McNeill or Scheifele. Scheifele went higher than I expected and I didn't expect Beaulieu to drop the way he did, so I'm much happier that the Habs drafted him over McNeill. I was also high on Jensen as well but felt the Habs pick was a little too high for him.
Yeah I heard a rumor that you were a fan of his...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah I heard a rumor that you were a fan of his...
Damn, that was supposed to be top secret.

Seriously though, the kid is a gem. He's going to be solid for Winnipeg in 4-5 years max.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:11 AM
TinordiandSubban

Most recent wish lists:

2011-Grimaldi or Pageau and Jaskin and LaBate and Koudys
2010-Howden or Watson and Alt and Gaede and Pulkkinen
2009-Krieder or Leblanc and Morin and Dumoulin and Vincour
2008-Carlson or Karlsson and Adam and Max Sauve and Allen

I never get who I thought I wanted but with Timmins I end up always happy with what we got!

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Mtl6

2004: Mike Green : Should of been GM
2005: Gilbert Brule: Would of been fired
2006: Patrick Berglund: Hired back
2007: Ryan McDonagh (and Hickey): Finally, I get who I want...but not for long!
2008: Would of loved Deschamps
2009: Louis Leblanc: Nice pick, we'll see
2010: Brad Ross: I still think he'll be a good 3rd line agitating winger, which would help us (but I'd hate to be right)
2011: Next one available on my list was Beaulieu so...

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:34 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
in 2003 i wanted :

Jeff Carter
Dustin Brown
Brent Seabrook
Zach Parise
Ryan Getzlaf
Brent Burns
Ryan Kesler
Mike Richards
Corey Perry

what a GM i would of made
No wonder why I couldn't stand out in my bantam, midget, junior...years with guys like this in my age bracket lol.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

More a late round thing, but I REAAAALLY wanted Brent Benson in this past draft, still confused as to why he went undrafted

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:56 AM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

2003 Wanted: Parise or Getzlaf
Drafted: Kostitsyn

2004 Wanted: Chipchura
Drafted: Chipchura

2005 Wanted: Gilbert Brule
Drafted: Carey Price

2006 Wanted: Didn't have a preference
Drafted: Fischer

2007 Wanted: Cherepanov/Esposito
Drafted: Pacioretty/Mcdonagh

2008 Wanted: Didn't have a preference
Drafted: Kristo

2009 Wanted: Chris Kreider
Drafted: Leblanc

2010 Wanted: No preference
Drafted: Tinordi

2011 Wanted: Scheifele
Drafted: Beaulieu

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

2002, I wanted either Steen or Babchuk. Higgins was better. But I was mad we did not take Hudler, who had been a top 10 pick for a while in the rankings.
2003, I wanted AKost, Brown or... Nilsson.
2004, I was hoping Tukonen would fall to our spot, he did not.
2005, I was mad, I remember being pissed at Timmins for failing to take a chance on a forward. I wanted either Pouliot or Kopitar, but was not sold on Brule.
2006, I was hoping Stewart would be available, he was not. I didn't really know Giroux at the time.
2007, I wanted Shattenkirk and Espo. We dodged a bullet on that one.
2008, I was hoping for Tedenby.
2009, I was torn between Leblanc and Holland, and was interested in Kreider. I was pretty happy with the Leblanc pick. I'm not a Quebecer, but the emotion in the Bell center was nice to watch.
2010, I was hoping we could grab Bjugstad. My second option was Kuznetsov. Not sold on Tinordi, especially with the trade up.
2011, I had no idea Beaulieu would be available. I was hoping for Armia, Jensen or Mc Neill, but Beaulieu is a much better choice.

Last edited by Naoned: 10-12-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Grant McCagg

2011 - I was high on Scheifele and Jenner. Expected Scheifele might be gone....was he ever.... same thing with Beaulieu, who I also liked but expected would be gone in the top 14... Was also surprised that Jenner didn't go in the first round - i think Columbus got a steal.

2010 - I wanted Tinordi, Toffoli, Sheahan, Kuznetsov or Merrill. I was at Trevor's place a few days before the draft and he asked me who we should take - I told him Tinordi or Sheahan but I still had a soft spot for Toffoli having seen him about a dozen times and noticing his goal scoring talents. Trevor liked Toffoli too, but more than the rest of the staff except me. Funny thing is..we saw him more than anyone else on the staff given that we live close to Ottawa. Kuznetsov was my first choice actually, but I knew Trevor wouldn't consider him. He just figures there's too much risk with Russian prospects in the first round (unless you're a Yakupov), especially if they're still playing in Russia.

2009 - Leblanc or Despres - figured at least one would be at 18, and was really hoping it was Leblanc. In the third round I was hoping for Cody Eakin and Bennett.

2008 - Carlson was the guy..never expected him to be there at 26...was really disappointed when we traded our first for Tanguay. I also liked Deschamps with that pick if Carlson was gone. Trevor really liked Carlson - I have no doubt that he would have picked him had Bob kept the pick.

2007 - McDonagh, Eller or Shattenkirk - I would have been happy with any of the three. For the other first I liked Patch, MacLean and Billy Sweatt. For the second rounder I liked Tyrell and Subban. Overall I was very happy with this draft.

2006 - I wanted Giroux all the way - live 45 minutes from Hull..saw lots of Giroux and loved him.

2005 - Marc Staal was my guy - loved him, wanted him. Didn't mind the Price pick though.

2004 - Wasn't crazy about many of the players in this draft - I was fine with the Chipchura pick..also would have been okay with Bolland.

2003 - Getzlaf was the guy...really wanted him..thought he was exactly what the team needed...big, tough top-line center..haven't had one since Jean Beliveau. Also liked Parise, Brown and Richards. Thought it was risky taking a Euro with so many quality NA's available.

2002 - Another blah draft for me. Didn't mind Grebeshkov and Paille..hadn't seen Higgins.

2001 - I wanted Komo all the way..thought we need a big tough, shutdown defenceman. didn't quite pan out that way, although there were glimpses of it before Lucic. Really liked Derek Roy as our second first rounder over Peerzhogin.

2000 - We got Hainsey and Hossa...wanted Orpik and Volchenkov/Frolik.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Beakermania*

The only 2 i wanted who were drafted were Chipchura and Tinordi. I hope for better for Tinordi.

2004 I wanted chipchura was pleased with the pick
2005 i wanted Marc Staal or Luc Bourdon
2006 I wanted Bobby Sanguinetti
2007 I didn't follow the draft close enough that year to have an opinion.
2008 Deschamps
2009 Peter Holland or Ethan Werek
2010 Tinordi
2011 wanted McNeil, but figured Beaulieu was going 9th to the Bruins, when I saw him falling I wanted him.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 02-09-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote