Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2012, 03:47 PM
SerenityRick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
about as true as anything being written by Hackerty regarding this issue.

But you know what? We have freedom of the press in this country and they have every right to write and say whatever they want.
They sure do. I'm just getting more and more pissed off by the second that people are eating up their crap.

The amount of hate Thomas is getting just for sharing his opinion on facebook is absolutely unreal. Like.. I can't even ****ing believe it.

You know what I do when one of my friends posts something that I don't agree with? I ignore it! or maybe debate him/her in an adult manner. Some of the things that people are saying about Thomas are vile.. A lot of the people saying this are Bruins fans too. You can disagree with Timmy, sure.. but have some ****ing respect.

Ugh.. I need to stop getting sucked into this.

Old
02-09-2012, 04:09 PM
lostinthebronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
They sure do. I'm just getting more and more pissed off by the second that people are eating up their crap.

The amount of hate Thomas is getting just for sharing his opinion on facebook is absolutely unreal. Like.. I can't even ****ing believe it.

You know what I do when one of my friends posts something that I don't agree with? I ignore it! or maybe debate him/her in an adult manner. Some of the things that people are saying about Thomas are vile.. A lot of the people saying this are Bruins fans too. You can disagree with Timmy, sure.. but have some ****ing respect.

Ugh.. I need to stop getting sucked into this.
I would have respect for Thomas if he could actually intelligently articulate his opinions and views rather than hiding behind his Facebook comments. I've said this before and I'll say it again imo Thomas' behavior through this entire fiasco has been cowardly - hiding behind his freedom of speech and allowing others around him to take the heat and have to answer questions on an issue they have nothing to do with.

And for all those people calling up F&M moaning about the liberal press, where were they when Martin Sheen and the Dixie Chicks were getting destroyed for criticizing George Bush during his first administration?

Old
02-09-2012, 04:23 PM
MerrimackBruin*

Tim Thomas KNOWS exactly what he is doing. He knows if he rants politics on a PUBLIC medium the pres will report it. He has to know that - he KEEPS doing it.

This won't stop until Thomas stops posting and having public displays of his beliefs. This is not the time nor place for Thomas to stand on his platform and spew his opinions. He can think whatever he wants - just dont throw it out into the public arena like this. NFL players do it, NBA players do it, and now Hockey players are doing it...

I think its time to stop blaming the media for this crap storm and start blaming Tim Thomas. He is asking for attention - and hes getting it.

*Note: I am a big Thomas fan. But I dont care, nor do I want to hear his, yours, frankly anyone's personal views on politics.

Old
02-09-2012, 04:28 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerrimackBruin View Post
Tim Thomas KNOWS exactly what he is doing. He knows if he rants politics on a PUBLIC medium the pres will report it. He has to know that - he KEEPS doing it.

This won't stop until Thomas stops posting and having public displays of his beliefs. This is not the time nor place for Thomas to stand on his platform and spew his opinions. He can think whatever he wants - just dont throw it out into the public arena like this. NFL players do it, NBA players do it, and now Hockey players are doing it...

I think its time to stop blaming the media for this crap storm and start blaming Tim Thomas. He is asking for attention - and hes getting it.

*Note: I am a big Thomas fan. But I dont care, nor do I want to hear his, yours, frankly anyone's personal views on politics.
I think you're way off base on this one. Like somebody said on radio today (caller of course), the battle is NOW and the time for Thomas to speak his mind is NOW. If he feels that the whole birth control issue is important enough to speak his mind, then NOW is the time to do it. It's a hot button issue today...so why hold your breath on it?

I think it was a very bold statement by Thomas, and I actually give him a lot of credit for posting that quote. I thought it was a little farfetched, but at the same time extremely powerful and thought provoking...also relevant.

Old
02-09-2012, 04:37 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
I think you're way off base on this one. Like somebody said on radio today (caller of course), the battle is NOW and the time for Thomas to speak his mind is NOW. If he feels that the whole birth control issue is important enough to speak his mind, then NOW is the time to do it. It's a hot button issue today...so why hold your breath on it?

I think it was a very bold statement by Thomas, and I actually give him a lot of credit for posting that quote. I thought it was a little farfetched, but at the same time extremely powerful and thought provoking...also relevant.
Chuck, with all due respect, that's one of the most over-quoted lines from the 20th century. Also, google Godwin's Law.

If Thomas wants to say this stuff, great, 1st amendment, blah blah. Let's not make him out to be the 2nd coming of Martin Luther though.

Old
02-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthebronx View Post
I would have respect for Thomas if he could actually intelligently articulate his opinions and views rather than hiding behind his Facebook comments. I've said this before and I'll say it again imo Thomas' behavior through this entire fiasco has been cowardly - hiding behind his freedom of speech and allowing others around him to take the heat and have to answer questions on an issue they have nothing to do with.

And for all those people calling up F&M moaning about the liberal press, where were they when Martin Sheen and the Dixie Chicks were getting destroyed for criticizing George Bush during his first administration?
Outing yourself as a right winger in a blue state, w/ a fanatical blue media is cowardly? TT is a bit outnumbered and surrounded in these parts, don't you think? I might agree w/ you if Thomas played for the Dallas stars. He obviously does not. Talk a/b a fart in church.

If TT was using his my space page to light up Romney, republicans, and Glen Beck, would there be any issue? Go ask Theo Epstien. Funny the local media wasn't more opinionated regarding that.

The media agreed w/ Sheen and the dixie chicks, what was courageous a/b their statements? I don't remember them being destroyed at all, if anything the dixie chicks were more popular, and held in high esteem by people outside of their target audience. No one tried to run any actors out of hollywood after they were outspoken a/b GWB. Are you kidding?

Old
02-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Chuck, with all due respect, that's one of the most over-quoted lines from the 20th century. Also, google Godwin's Law.

If Thomas wants to say this stuff, great, 1st amendment, blah blah. Let's not make him out to be the 2nd coming of Martin Luther though.
Or Ali.

Timmaaah "Muhhammad Ali" Thomas. I like the way that rolls off the tongue.

Old
02-09-2012, 05:00 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Or Ali.
Honestly, what does Ali have to do with anything I said? Cause I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I have to say, for someone who's accused me and others here of having our POVs tainted on this matter by our politics, I think you're one of the worst offenders of that.

And the Dixie Chicks got death threats and were heavily boycotted. All that even after they apologized quickly after their comment!!!

Old
02-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Honestly, what does Ali have to do with anything I said? Cause I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I have to say, for someone who's accused me and others here of having out POVs tainted on this matter by our politics, I think you're one of the worst offenders of that.

And the Dixie Chicks got death threats and were heavily boycotted. All that even after they apologized quickly after their comment!!!
Heavily boycotted.... by truckers. Never heard a/b the death threats, but they were applauded in Europe and in the mainstream media. If anything, they got more attention out of the deal. Who ever heard of the Dixie Chicks outside of the bible belt?

Cassius Clay changed his name to Muhhammad Ali after beating Sonny Liston. Announced he was a member of a muslim organization which was thought of more as a cult at the time. Not real popular. Further, made unpopular statements a/b his country, and a war we were fighting in southeast asia. Again, not popular w/ the majority at that time. Refused induction into the military during the draft based on his religious beliefs. Well, at the time, the media and most of America got what they wanted, didn't they? Ali was stripped of his title, and not permitted to box during his prime. Everyone counted him out by the time the Supreme Court overturned his conviction. No way Ali would ever be what he once was. Instead, Ali shoved it up their tush, and went on to win it 2 more times.

Btw, he even met w/ President George W Bush to accept the Presidential Medal of Freedom. So, what was Theo and Manny's problem?

Point is, fairly apparent the local media want to villainize and run TT out of town. It wont change that he's a champion, he'll just do it somewhere else. It will however likely change that we're champions again. Further, our city and our media, not to mention our hockey team, will once again become a laughing stock.

Why? TT went against the grain, and completely outside the context of his sport.

Show me where I laid out my political agenda there, angryman. You have two athletes who are politically polar opposites, both champions, both said things that were unpopular, and were targeted and villainized by the media, period.

PS - I don't come here to discuss politics, and never will.

Old
02-09-2012, 05:57 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:

It's ironic that you quoted my post after I said people are "eating" up the Boston media's crap. You're the perfect example of it.

He already said he doesn't like where the US gov't is heading, his most recent facebook post is proof of where he stands.. what else does he have to answer to? It's his opinion.. what could he POSSIBLY say to appease you that he hasn't already said?

Old
02-09-2012, 06:51 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:

Never said he was MLK, I just said I liked the quote and the timing of it. I really don't see anything to fuss about.

Old
02-09-2012, 07:23 PM
bigbadjohn

Quote:
Wow. Someone disagrees w/ me politically? WHAT? WHAT??? Jihad time, baby! Get my semtex...

Lemme help you out, at any given time anywhere from 48 to 51 % of the US population is going to disagree w/ you on given issues. That's a lot of people. One of them happens to be Thomas.

Who cares? Is he running for office? Is he going to change a single vote in the coming election? Nope.
let me help you out and every other idiot. someone asked why radio continued to talk about Tim. i explained why.

he appears to think his opinion matters.

Old
02-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Shaun

Felger probably got wedgied by Tkachuk and Amonte when he was at BU and is now taking it on current players from behind the mic.

Old
02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjohn View Post
let me help you out and every other idiot. someone asked why radio continued to talk about Tim. i explained why.

he appears to think his opinion matters.
Apparently it does to you if it has angered you this much, no?

This is only a big deal because the reporters need a juicy story.

Old
02-09-2012, 07:44 PM
bigbadjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Apparently it does to you if it has angered you this much, no?

This is only a big deal because the reporters need a juicy story.
it doesn't anger me, BoP.

Old
02-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjohn View Post
it doesn't anger me, BoP.
Nah, you don't seem angry at all.

DA brought up Krejci, his disappearing act, and his new contract. I guess I missed all the Thomas Drama. Even then all the calls were Pat's funeral related. At least DA tried, good for him.

Old
02-09-2012, 11:49 PM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

Quote:
Nah, you don't seem angry at all.

DA brought up Krejci, his disappearing act, and his new contract. I guess I missed all the Thomas Drama. Even then all the calls were Pat's funeral related. At least DA tried, good for him.
DA's grown on me. Tune into his show every night now.

Old
02-10-2012, 07:19 AM
lostinthebronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
It's ironic that you quoted my post after I said people are "eating" up the Boston media's crap. You're the perfect example of it.

He already said he doesn't like where the US gov't is heading, his most recent facebook post is proof of where he stands.. what else does he have to answer to? It's his opinion.. what could he POSSIBLY say to appease you that he hasn't already said?
Sorry to break it to you, but since I live in NY I barely read or follow Boston media. I didn't read one word on any of the articles written by Haggs or Fluto. I'm reacting first to his decision not to go to the White House and his latest post on Facebook.

My guess is that TT is not smart enough to actually openly articulate his positions or to intelligently discuss the passage he quoted and the different ways the poem could be interpreted. He also seems like the type of person who wouldn't want to be challenged or questioned about his beliefs and by pleading the fifth he doesn't have to. I've known many people like this from both ends of the political spectrum - they throw out provocative statements but then can't follow them up with an intelligent conversation or open dialogue.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:10 AM
hoss75

Quote:
Sorry to break it to you, but since I live in NY I barely read or follow Boston media. I didn't read one word on any of the articles written by Haggs or Fluto. I'm reacting first to his decision not to go to the White House and his latest post on Facebook.

My guess is that TT is not smart enough to actually openly articulate his positions or to intelligently discuss the passage he quoted and the different ways the poem could be interpreted. He also seems like the type of person who wouldn't want to be challenged or questioned about his beliefs and by pleading the fifth he doesn't have to. I've known many people like this from both ends of the political spectrum - they throw out provocative statements but then can't follow them up with an intelligent conversation or open dialogue.
Tim and 99.5% of the world's population.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
you damn half percenters think you know it all.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Bone for your jar

Interesting to listen to Ference on D&C this morning. Of course the interview focused on Thomas, but they also prodded him a bit on his environmentalism. Ference handled the whole thing superbly, I thought, with self-deprecating humor, but in a way that still showed these are principles he feels worth standing by. D&C, after the interview, remarked on how guys like Ference and Tebow get away with this (being open about their beliefs outside sports) because they're disarming and likable, whereas Thomas "has an edge" and looks like he wants a fight. I think there's something to this.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:37 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
you damn half percenters think you know it all.
Well said, btw- Thomas lives pretty close to me and I can tell you the guy is no dummy- that Ark he is building is spectacular looking. I heard its called 'The Save'.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:41 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
wow! tailgunner Joe was just on and it sounds like full on "occupy locker room" by the media.

Felger, Mazz, and Haggs just promised that they would not let this go away until TT is driven out of town.

Quick question since it's been awhile, where on the dial is EEI again?
Wow, surprised you are thinking about going back Pie...

I certainly think that Felger and Maz have some built in biases when talking about the Thomas thing, as do other members of the media, namely Hags and Kalman as far as I can tell, but I think that Felger and Maz have been pretty level headed about the whole thing.

I don't think their discourse has been about him committing any crimes against humanity or anything, just that his opinions may become a distraction to the team. Of course, the media helps that along when they keep all of this going, but Timmy has to realize that after his "protest" anything he says or does that is remotely political, is going to be news. So, I can't fault people for talking about it, and I think it is a bit naive on Timmy's behalf to think that what he says on facebook is "private" and then not want to answer questions on it.

He has to know that is going to be news and that he has made himself a public figure by his actions...

That being said, I could really care less about this garbage, and I hope that it fades away soon, and we can all move on to talking about actual hockey issues.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
Wow, surprised you are thinking about going back Pie...

I certainly think that Felger and Maz have some built in biases when talking about the Thomas thing, as do other members of the media, namely Hags and Kalman as far as I can tell, but I think that Felger and Maz have been pretty level headed about the whole thing.

I don't think their discourse has been about him committing any crimes against humanity or anything, just that his opinions may become a distraction to the team. Of course, the media helps that along when they keep all of this going, but Timmy has to realize that after his "protest" anything he says or does that is remotely political, is going to be news. So, I can't fault people for talking about it, and I think it is a bit naive on Timmy's behalf to think that what he says on facebook is "private" and then not want to answer questions on it.

He has to know that is going to be news and that he has made himself a public figure by his actions...

That being said, I could really care less about this garbage, and I hope that it fades away soon, and we can all move on to talking about actual hockey issues.
haha! is that before or after he called for the banishment of the enemy of the state into exile in Finland?

Old
02-10-2012, 10:00 AM
lostinthebronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
And that's the core of the problem since now more than ever that 99.5% of the population can easily promote their opinions through all types of social media. What I love is the willingness of the uninformed, non-reflective, unintelligent to get into the political, social, and cultural fray yet simultaneously display an absolute hatred of those who are actually smart enough/informed enough to engage in intelligent discourse.

Closed Thread