HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton Mako Blades

Old
04-19-2012, 12:49 AM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Dangles View Post
Thanks!

I use a Vapor x60 LE right now, and do like it and the way it kicks (low kick point vs. traditional mid-kick point) which is why I want to give the WIDOW a go, because I've been hearing that the kick is even lower then the VAPOR series which really helps with deceptive/quick release from just about any position. Might just have to break down, pick one up and gamble on liking it. The last Warrior stick I used (Kronik) I did not like the blade nore the kick point on it. But there's something intriguing about the WIDOW that has me itching to try it.
People have been complaining about blade durability and rightly so, the toe of the blade has a visible overlap of carbon, not sure if that is a surface thing, but it does make me wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Is it just me or does the Nexus look like it's going to be a total one with a paint job? In the catalogue it looked just like the one100.

But yeah, since the One95 and then the TotalONE came out I've always been a fan of Bauers over Easton. I just love that Supreme line feel.

Besides, the first RS they released to us at our shop were defective and were breaking within a week with everyone we sold them to. Easton was sending our customers TWO "improved" RS's to make up for it.
No the G3 flex profile will be the most significant difference.

Equate Widows with excellent puck feel and great release on that ultra-low kick.

ANYHOW back on topic...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Saucy Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
People have been complaining about blade durability and rightly so, the toe of the blade has a visible overlap of carbon, not sure if that is a surface thing, but it does make me wonder.

No the G3 flex profile will be the most significant difference.

Equate Widows with excellent puck feel and great release on that ultra-low kick.

ANYHOW back on topic...
Yeah kinda of noticed that when I was comparing the WIDOW to the APX. I herd the toe of the blade being soft was an intentional design by Warrior for what they claim is better over all "feel". Not sure if that's going to be kosher for me though.

Saucy Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:38 AM
AIREAYE

Well the blade on the older Dolomites was Dual Density (DD), the Widow has the 'D-Lite' foam package, and they don't specifically state it to be dual density...more like multiple density in the same package. You are correct for the older DD blades though for sure.

Old
04-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Was the toe supposed to be going soft on the Widow or the APX?

AIR, have you used the X:60 or APX? Would be interesting to hear a comparison.

I know one guy on my team last year had a Widow and preferred his Dolomite. Not sure why. He was about 6'4 150 with a full-length end plug though so that might have been a factor.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:04 PM
AIREAYE

No the toe was never 'soft' but the foams in the DD blades were of lower density. Physically, the toes hold up fine but the way the puck feels on it is what's 'softer.

Jarick, I have only shot with them a few times at my store's shooting gallery. Not nearly enough to give anything more than initial impressions. With that, imo, the Widow has better puck feel (though that's purely my own opinion), it's crisper than the slightly more dulled dual density core on the AP and much better than the Aero Foam in the X:60.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ah, I was curious about the shooting differences. I've got a Dynasty which isn't the same as the Widow but not terribly far off in terms of feel (I'd guess). I agree the feel is better than the X:60, not quite as dead as the Supreme, a nice middle ground. It's just the balance isn't great.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
If you guys like Easton, try a combat.

I used the 52 cal after my EQ50 broke. Now my Combat broke so I went back to an EQ50 and the 50 cal was far better and the stick has a better feel and more durable.

My favorite stick was the, i think, 2010 ST from easton. The combat's feel identical. When this EQ breaks, i'm not going back to easton for a while. I've had this EQ50 again for 3 weeks now and it's just dead compared to the Combat.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Dangles View Post
Indy shop, or one that is located in a rink?

If you are attached to a rink, you might want to talk to your Warrior Rep and ask him for 2 choice patterns in both hands for demo purpose and if your rink runs a stick & puck time slot allow customers to use it during that time (with exchange or drivers license). If your account is descent with Warrior your Rep should be able to work that out. Only real way to get sticks out doors these days, because of their cost, people really want to try something that is not of the norm before they commit $230+tax. Its hard for smaller companies that are not Bauer or Easton to compete in the stick market world. You'll probably have to "sell" them like a cars sales man would a used car.
Yeah we're attached to a rink (my fam owns the whole deal). Demoing sticks would be a good idea and it's something we've never done before so I'll have to talk to my dad about that.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote