HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Langenbrunner Reflects On Devils Departure

Old
02-09-2012, 12:33 PM
JimEIV

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaddagoal View Post

By beating around the bush, he's indirectly casting suspicion about former teammates.... like about the arrival of Kovy was a fault why things went wrong.
He wasn't beating around the bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
I think Langenbrunner is referring to some of the conflicts he had with Lemaire over how he handled some things with the team - weren't there rumors going around last year that players were informed they were being stratched via text?
That was only part of it...The "Team Concept" being blown away was the issue.

The Stand up guy took the arrows in this instance.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Whaddagoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
I think Langenbrunner is referring to some of the conflicts he had with Lemaire over how he handled some things with the team - weren't there rumors going around last year that players were informed they were being stratched via text?

As captain of a team, you have to handle issues that don't necessarily pertain to you personally. There's been enough said about the personal issues Langenbrunner had with Lemaire (much of it certainly deserved), but I'm sure there's also a certain frustration on Langenbrunner's part that some of the duties he had as captain to stick up for his teammates over the way things were being handled by Lemaire also played a part in his dismissal & many fans probably don't realize that.
While he very well could be referring to this, it does nothing to alleviate or clarify fans interest/concerns because he doesn't go into specifics and vaguely implies things that look bad on others.

If he really doesn't want to go into it, so why even give attempt to give an answer to the media in the first place, even if they are asking? That's more to my point, I suppose, of my post.

Just say something along the lines that, "I felt at the time, how I dealt with the situation was appropriate. Perhaps it could have been done differently, but that's how it went about. Looking back the end result was far from ideal, but there is no need to comment on it further because it is far in the past."

Or even better: "Lets not go into that, we have a game today against two good teams."

It looks to me that he doesn't mind making these statements that implicate others (whether rightly or wrongly)... and it doesn't look good on him... just my opinion.

Of course, I don't think he should be booed. I just wish he (and media) would stop feeding the previous rumor mills.

Last edited by Whaddagoal: 02-09-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Whaddagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Also I loved Langenbrunner more than most when he was here. He helped us in 03 tremendously, and he was still producing lots of points. 08/09 was his most point producing season or at least for the Devils it was. the next season 09/10 he started to slip. I don't know if it was Lemaire. Probably not considering he's hit rock bottom in St Louis, and there's no Lemaire there. Dude would be completely useless on the team these days. I would hope he wouldn't have been re signed if he hadn't been traded.

Don't boo Langs. Just be GLAD he isn't he anymore. be THANKFUL he is no longer here.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:38 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice

More Langenbrunner on Parise. "He enjoys playing here. ...He’s been here his whole career and I’m sure doesn’t want that to change. "

of course he'd say that, he's in on the conspiracy
Langenbrunner and Parise are both Freemasons.

FACT!

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:45 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
That was only part of it...The "Team Concept" being blown away was the issue.

The Stand up guy took the arrows in this instance.
I disagree. Whether one believes the move for Kovalchuk (and it's impact on the "Team Concept") was motivated by VBK, Lou or otherwise... Langs' job as captain was to bridge such changes, not fracture the room.

Instead, we have a captain flying in the face of his coach and sulking/crying to the media.

As far as having any influence on molding this evolving TC, Langs was by *far* the worst offender in the feed Kovalchuk sweepstakes. I think there is a proper way to navigate such changes and Jamie wasn't *close* to finding it, IMHO.

GameSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Richer's Ghost
GO SJ & CBJ

vCash: 68
It's a TRAP!

This article was merely a carefully orchestrated means to resurrect Anti-Kovy Jim!

Abort Attack, turn the ships around.

We're all a bunch of sausage sticks walking around. None of us really wants to see how we were made.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:51 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
It's a TRAP!
[IMG]This article was merely a carefully orchestrated means to resurrect Anti-Kovy Jim!

Abort Attack, turn the ships around.
I fell for it when he changed his fishing Avy

Old
02-09-2012, 12:52 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
I disagree. Whether one believes the move for Kovalchuk (and it's impact on the "Team Concept") was motivated by VBK, Lou or otherwise... Langs' job as captain was to bridge such changes, not fracture the room.

Instead, we have a captain flying in the face of his coach and sulking/crying to the media.

As far as having any influence on molding this evolving TC, Langs was by *far* the worst offender in the feed Kovalchuk sweepstakes. I think there is a proper way to navigate such changes and Jamie wasn't *close* to finding it, IMHO.

You had a team that just had the BEST FIRST HALF IN THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY. And one player came in and 3 lines were juggled for that one player, the first line which had been together for over a year, nearly two and produced very well had been ripped apart, the power play was redefined to feature one player for full two minutes...And Every single player in the room said WTF is going on...Isn't his job to communicate WTF?

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:04 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
You had a team that just had the BEST FIRST HALF IN THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY. And one player came in and 3 lines were juggled for that one player, the first line which had been together for over a year, nearly two and produced very well had been ripped apart, the power play was redefined to feature one player for full two minutes...And Every single player in the room said WTF is going on...Isn't his job to communicate WTF?
You had a team that had not done any damage in the playoffs in years. They were looking to shake things up. That's what you do when your playoff runs don't work, not keep banging your head against a cement wall.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Whaddagoal

Quote:
How else was Lemaire supposed to fit Kovy in? Put him on the 3rd or 4th line? Tell Lou that his top trade deadline acquistion is going to not be played on either of the top lines?

Don't try to shake up the PP, by putting one of the stronger producers in the league on the PP which was struggling to produce?

Lemaire isn't a fool, and he clearly showed us that he isn't.

Yeah, I'm quite sure that every player on that team was going "WTF" about this. Really Jim?

Whaddagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:06 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Playing someone with a bomb at the point for 2 minutes on the PP when your other options weren't capable of shooting the puck faster then 80 mph, was the least of our problems IMO.

If Langenbrunner was mad about it all, he should've walked to Lou's office and ask the proper questions but he didn't and acted like he was the one running the show. Lou and Lemaire were running the ship and even before Lou brought in IK, Lemaire and his sidekick (Mario Tremblay) both filled a report before leaving the team when they got fired, that Langenbrunner should be removed from the club.

The conclusion to his saga ended by him "losing the battle" and at the same time, gave this team a breath of fresh air by trading the grumpy captain that taught he'd get his way 364 days a year.

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 02-09-2012 at 01:11 PM.
DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Pattysaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
Remember when Elias was treated like **** and stripped of the C, then he asked for a trade? Oh wait....
I love Patty.

I hate the way Langenbrunner ended his tenure here but, like some others have said, I'll choose to remember him for all of the good he did instead.

Pattysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Richer's Ghost
GO SJ & CBJ

vCash: 68
Fish on!

FIGHT.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:15 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
You act like teams have never seen trades before. We sent one roster forward and one roster defenseman in the deal. If you are telling me that the players resented bringing in a consistent 40 goal scorer for Niclas godforsaken Bergfors up front, I'd tell you I question their commitment to winning.

As far as shuffling the lines and the powerplay strategy, that is Lemaire's decision and I see the captain's job as one who supports his coach and gets the guys on the same page.

After all, while Kovalchuk is a lightning rod for criticism, there doesn't appear to have been a storming into the room with wild demands... His actions on the ice seemed to be of a player trying to "be a good teammate" and his play probably suffered from being thrust into the spotlight and trying too hard to be that game-breaking talent.

But Jamie's sullen behavior in the press and woeful performance on the ice (his insistence on forcing pucks to Kovy smacked of "Here, big shot") was to the entire team's detriment.

And despite their fantastic start, this was also a team in a steep decline offensively with some 21 regulation goals in the 14 games leading up to the trade.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Goose Huckabee

Quote:
What in the world would communicating WTF accomplish? "Lou, you made a mistake. Just sit him out and let us do what we were doing. You've only GM'ed this team from perpetual cellar-dweller to a model of consistency with 3 cups to show for it; listen to the all-powerful ME who has been captain for all of two years and led us exactly nowhere."

I get your point - the line about the "team concept" they'd all been fed was evidently shown not to mean anything. But at what cost is it worth calling a spade a spade (if you want to put a righteous bend to it; I'd call it pouting)? Langs engaged in a power struggle with his GM and coach and got kicked the **** out of town, just as he should have.

Whereas Kovy has done nothing but try his ass off to assimilate into the team concept. He has totally remodeled his game over the past two years, and from day 1 he seemed determined to squash to perception of being a shoot-first, second, and third type player (often to a fault - how many times did he pass up shots to pass to Pando, MacAmmond, Niedermayer, etc.?). And he has taken ownership of his mistakes, blaming himself for losses and always crediting the team for wins, and done everything to put himself behind the team, whereas Langs' whatever was the exact opposite.

Goose Huckabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:24 PM
GratefulDevil
A long, strange trip

I wont boo Langs, but I wont be applauding him either.

GratefulDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:26 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

>watch ppg game Kovy for a year
>focus on 2 years ago

Love ya Jim.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
All I know is that when he bolted, we started winning again and the team that acquired him was winning and started losing.
I think that was more of a coincidence than actually due to Langs, but ya, it was night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
Remember when Elias was treated like **** and stripped of the C, then he asked for a trade? Oh wait....
Patty handled it the right way, and that's why he's still here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice
More Langenbrunner on Parise. "He enjoys playing here. ...Heís been here his whole career and Iím sure doesnít want that to change. "

of course he'd say that, he's in on the conspiracy
That sounds suspiciously close to what Zach himself is saying. It's almost like Parise fed him the line for in case someone asked him about it.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:08 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

People do love to forget with all the talk about our great first half, we'd hit the skids for about a month prior to the Kovy trade.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:25 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
I honestly think Langs hates Kovy as a player. The issues with Lemaire came before that but it certainly didn't help.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Fayne Staley
Salvador *******

Afro, I get that impression as well. I'd like to see Elias' thoughts on JL's return.

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:32 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

basically Langenbrunner is going to fight Kovy.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:35 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

All this speculative gossip is ridiculous.....

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

The only way I'd cheer for Langenbrunner is because he was a key figure in us landing Larsson by acting like a sour puss, wich led to a beyond horrible 1st half.

Go Langs Go !!!

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I honestly think Langs hates Kovy as a player. The issues with Lemaire came before that but it certainly didn't help.
He definitely didn't know how to play on the same line as Kovy.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote