HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Jets @ Capitals. Verizon Center. 7PM. 2/9/2012

Old
02-10-2012, 01:32 PM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
That was just a sad attempt too.....not gonna beat many NHL goalies with that little ticytac shot.
Capitals currently don't have many options when it comes to shoot outs. The fact that Hendricks' name was being bandy about says it all. Kuzenetsov's arrival will change that.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
How was Vokoun doing the same? The puck was shot at his right side. He moved there. One of the dman carelessly stuck his puck in the lane to redirect it. Then it took an insane bounce.

And are the refs just not calling trips now, and incidental contact?

I don't get the Laich penalty. I don't remember ever having that called and that was the second time of recent. Seems like a dumb thing to penalize unless the stick completely snaps.
Stop blaming the dmanand and making stuff up about careless redirection. Take a look at that sequense again. Vokoun could have stopped it but didn't. That was the 6 on 3 situation I think?

Can someone refresh my memory as to whether the Hamerlik penalty was a good one?

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Midnight Judges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Capitals currently don't have many options when it comes to shoot outs. The fact that Hendricks' name was being bandy about says it all. Kuzenetsov's arrival will change that.
I don't see what's wrong with Hendricks being chosen. He's pretty freakin good at it.

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Vokoun could have stopped it but didn't.
I don't understand this. He was wrong footed by the deflection. Anyone who has ever played any kind of sport with a ball or a puck at any level whatsoever has been wrong footed in a similar manner and knows there is simply nothing you can do in that situation. Sure from afar it doesn't look great but when you are wrong footed you are wrong footed and he was clearly wrong footed so...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:45 AM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I don't understand this. He was wrong footed by the deflection. Anyone who has ever played any kind of sport with a ball or a puck at any level whatsoever has been wrong footed in a similar manner and knows there is simply nothing you can do in that situation. Sure from afar it doesn't look great but when you are wrong footed you are wrong footed and he was clearly wrong footed so...
with a shot from behind the blue line his job is to not being wrong footed.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:02 PM
txpd

Quote:
i am still really amazed. neuvirth was straight up bbq'd here for getting beat by the fake dump in. yet vokoun gives up a goal on a shot from the freaking red line and people are making excuses for him. that defection was not 5 oir 10 ft in front of him.
it was 60'. the neuvirth goof was early in the game. the vokoun goof was protecting a one goal lead with under 2:00 to play.

thats a pure gaffe. i'd have been fine with the gaffe had he stood up for his team and at least given them a chance to win in the shootout.

this goaltender was supposed to be a difference maker. he hasnt been. not so far at least. i am not a vokoun hater, but come on.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:30 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
You really dont see the difference a goalie faces, between a deflected puck, and one that is not?

Why fish for an excuse to simply say you think fans like Vokoun better. Everyone gives players they like the most leeway, standard stuff, really.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am still really amazed. neuvirth was straight up bbq'd here for getting beat by the fake dump in. yet vokoun gives up a goal on a shot from the freaking red line and people are making excuses for him. that defection was not 5 oir 10 ft in front of him.
it was 60'. the neuvirth goof was early in the game. the vokoun goof was protecting a one goal lead with under 2:00 to play.

thats a pure gaffe. i'd have been fine with the gaffe had he stood up for his team and at least given them a chance to win in the shootout.

this goaltender was supposed to be a difference maker. he hasnt been. not so far at least. i am not a vokoun hater, but come on.
I didn't say anything about Neuvirth's goal but there is a difference between being looked off by a player 'dumping' it in and being wrong footed on a deflection.

It wouldn't have mattered who was in goal, that ends up in the net every time. Things like that happen in every sport. How there is a segment of these boards who don't understand that I have no idea.

You've never seen a shortstop lean left to start going to get a ball that is headed up the middle and then barely move as it deflects off the pitcher and ends up just going out of his reach on his right instead? Or a soccer goalie only be able to stick his arm out and hope to stop the deflected shot that was headed to his left ends up going just out of his reach to his right? Or a basketball player start moving left put his teammate passed it to his right and all he can do is stand there as it goes out of bounds just out of his reach? Or a receiver who sat down in a soft spot in a zone not even make an attempt on a ball that goes just to his right because he was leaning left because that is where it was going before being deflected at the line of scrimmage?

I'm not saying that those instances don't look bad but like I said anyone who has ever played sports has had something like that happen. And sure your teammates might look at you with that WTF look but when you tell them you were wrong footed they shrug it off no problem because it has happened to them to and they know there is nothing that can be done about it.

And this isn't a referendum on Vokoun. I am only talking about that one goal.

Old
02-11-2012, 07:16 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
You really dont see the difference a goalie faces, between a deflected puck, and one that is not?

Why fish for an excuse to simply say you think fans like Vokoun better. Everyone gives players they like the most leeway, standard stuff, really.
you are really going to say that a puck deflected at the blue line was not a soft goal? seriously?

Old
02-11-2012, 07:26 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
you are really going to say that a puck deflected at the blue line was not a soft goal? seriously?
It was soft, but even Richter gave up one against us when Hatcher shot that rink shot against the rangers in the playoffs in 94.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
It is no softer a play than the shortstop not making the play, the soccer goalie not making the save, the basketball player not stopping the pass, or the receiver not making the catch that I described above.

Sure they all look bad from afar but they happen and there was nothing he could have done about it...

Old
02-11-2012, 07:51 PM
NeilYoung

Glad to see some people on here admitting they've obviously never played hockey

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Glad to see some people on here admitting they've obviously never played hockey
Or any sport apparently...

Old
02-11-2012, 08:33 PM
txpd

please, go on. towson st university had a club program. a good one. we played the naval academy 4 times a year. penn st. pitt. temple. i played 3 full seasons and one ankle injury shortened season.

i also forgot that racing isnt a sport.

Old
02-12-2012, 07:33 AM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:

It wouldn't have mattered who was in goal, that ends up in the net every time. Things like that happen in every sport. How there is a segment of these boards who don't understand that I have no idea.

big no, also u dont need to point out how deflection works in other sports, u seem to dont understand that a deflection is no automatic excuse(in any sport), they can be but not in this case, if u can not blame the goalie on this than u have to give him a free pass for every deflection goal.

lets face it vk is a very very slight upgrade over jose threeoremore with a better term.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Duke33

The whole goalie issue would be moot anyway if this team had any kind of offense or desire to put teams away. Funny how the Penguins had no problems lighting the mediocre Pavelec up like a Christmas tree yesterday but with the Caps he's a "hot goalie".

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
lets face it vk is a very very slight upgrade over jose threeoremore with a better term.
Yeah, no.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
big no, also u dont need to point out how deflection works in other sports, u seem to dont understand that a deflection is no automatic excuse(in any sport), they can be but not in this case, if u can not blame the goalie on this than u have to give him a free pass for every deflection goal.
I can draw you a Venn diagram if you would like but it is suffice to say that all wrong footings are the results of deflections but not all deflections result in wrong footings and in fact most don't. There are two elements in a wrong footing, the movement to begin going to the place the original shot was going to and the deflection that sent it the other direction.

Old
02-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
i also forgot that racing isnt a sport.
Don't be pedantic. You know what was meant. Do you often find yourself getting wrong footed in your race car? I know I don't on the golf course yet on the hockey rink or soccer field it does occasionally happen. I wonder why the differences...?