HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philly Saturday

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2012, 09:49 AM
  #1
Stepan2Gaborik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
Philly Saturday

Anybody heading down on Saturday afternoon. How will you deal with the heckling

Stepan2Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:54 AM
  #2
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,108
vCash: 500
Don't even wear your Rangers gear or say anything. They are a bunch of animals down there. Good luck.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:07 AM
  #3
PassShootScore
208 Row 18
 
PassShootScore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
i went to the winter classic in all Rangers gear and cheered when the scored and won the game. as long as you dont start a problem chances are there wont be a problem

PassShootScore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:08 AM
  #4
Colby
HFB Partner
 
Colby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
It'll be my first game against the Flyers in Philly. Would it really be a mistake to wear my Winter Classic jersey?

Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:34 AM
  #5
Stepan2Gaborik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
I couldn't imagine not wearing my gear

Stepan2Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:36 AM
  #6
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15
 
BlueShirts88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Don't even wear your Rangers gear or say anything. They are a bunch of animals down there. Good luck.
You can absolutely wear your gear. Don't respond to anyone and you'll be fine. I wear my jersey down there all the time with no problem!

__________________
"Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!"~H. Rose
BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:55 AM
  #7
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
i went to the winter classic in all Rangers gear and cheered when the scored and won the game. as long as you dont start a problem chances are there wont be a problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
You can absolutely wear your gear. Don't respond to anyone and you'll be fine. I wear my jersey down there all the time with no problem!


http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...137228313.html

Does no one remember this?

Quote:
"The instigator was clearly Veteri," Nodiff said. "The punches were clearly thrown first by Veteri and his associates."

That attack left a New Jersey cop and decorated war veteran, identified as 30-year-old Neil Auricchio, knocked out with a concussion and facial injuries that require surgery, cops said.
Quote:
A witness told police that he said, “Welcome to South Philly mother f%#*er” after knocking out Auricchio, police sources said.
Obviously the vast majority of people who wear Rangers gear won't go through anything like this, but that chance is out there. And there's a much higher chance of lesser, but still negative outcomes (people yelling stuff at you, pouring beer on you, maybe even throwing a pizza in your face, etc)

Edit: I wear my jerseys to pretty much any other away games I'll go to, but I wouldn't wear it in philly. It's just not worth it. The point of wearing the jersey is to show pride for your team in another teams home. I've never heard of wearing your teams jersey in another city for a game and completely ignoring the hometown faithful. It just doesn't happen. It's just in most other places there's a lot more good natured ribbing back and forth with the absolute worst being the yelling or the very very infrequent beer dump. In philly that stuff is what you'd be hoping for, with the worst being some animal bashing your face in.


Last edited by Kel Varnsen: 02-07-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:03 AM
  #8
useref15
Registered User
 
useref15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,906
vCash: 500
it's not that bad. I went to one of the games there last year. Nobody really said anything. Eagles games are a different story.

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
  #9
trueblue231930
Registered User
 
trueblue231930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
I'm heading down there as well. I'll be wearing my Hagelin winter classic jersey as well.

I was at the winter classic as well and as long as you don't start anything or be disrespectful there shouldn't be any issues.

I plan on standing up and cheering when/if we score too but as long as you're not obnoxious about it we all should be fine.

trueblue231930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:15 AM
  #10
GloveSave35
Registered User
 
GloveSave35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue231930 View Post
I'm heading down there as well. I'll be wearing my Hagelin winter classic jersey as well.

I was at the winter classic as well and as long as you don't start anything or be disrespectful there shouldn't be any issues.

I plan on standing up and cheering when/if we score too but as long as you're not obnoxious about it we all should be fine.
Agree completely. I was at the Winter Classic- fully decked out in Rangers gear- in a section with all Flyer fans. There was a Ranger fan in the section next to me that was acting like a ****. Everytime we scored, he held up a rangers towel and turned around to taunt the fans behind him. This led to verbal exchanges and almost ended up in a physical altercation.

Meanwhile, I cheered for the Rangers all game and stood up and cheered when we scored. At one point, the Flyer fan that almost got into the fight told me we were cool and basically that he had our backs because we were behaving appriopriately.

I think thats the general rule. Don't be a ****. You might get some ribbing here or there (whether good natured or not), but no real trouble.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:36 AM
  #11
Giacomin
Registered User
 
Giacomin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
The Philadelphia fans are not that bad. The problem with the young fans is that they have such an inferiority complex that they think it is their birthright to act tough towards visiting teams. Just Remember it has been close to 40 years since the Flyers have ever won anything

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:40 AM
  #12
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,092
vCash: 500
Bring your mace & bear repellent

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:04 PM
  #13
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post


http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...137228313.html

Does no one remember this?





Obviously the vast majority of people who wear Rangers gear won't go through anything like this, but that chance is out there. And there's a much higher chance of lesser, but still negative outcomes (people yelling stuff at you, pouring beer on you, maybe even throwing a pizza in your face, etc)

Edit: I wear my jerseys to pretty much any other away games I'll go to, but I wouldn't wear it in philly. It's just not worth it. The point of wearing the jersey is to show pride for your team in another teams home. I've never heard of wearing your teams jersey in another city for a game and completely ignoring the hometown faithful. It just doesn't happen. It's just in most other places there's a lot more good natured ribbing back and forth with the absolute worst being the yelling or the very very infrequent beer dump. In philly that stuff is what you'd be hoping for, with the worst being some animal bashing your face in.
Dude, grow a pair. I've been to Eagles, Phillies and Flyers games in Philly and it's not that bad unless you act like a moron. During the Winter Classic I encountered dozens of fans that were cool, and had good natured smack talk. We were fine.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:08 PM
  #14
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Dude, grow a pair. I've been to Eagles, Phillies and Flyers games in Philly and it's not that bad unless you act like a moron. During the Winter Classic I encountered dozens of fans that were cool, and had good natured smack talk. We were fine.
You realize the guy who was beaten up was a war vet right? He had it coming? Grow up. If you read what I said I said it would be very unlikely that anything would happen. However, to pretend there is no risk flies in the face of all reason. It comes down to how you value things.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:21 PM
  #15
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post


http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...137228313.html

Does no one remember this?





Obviously the vast majority of people who wear Rangers gear won't go through anything like this, but that chance is out there. And there's a much higher chance of lesser, but still negative outcomes (people yelling stuff at you, pouring beer on you, maybe even throwing a pizza in your face, etc)

Edit: I wear my jerseys to pretty much any other away games I'll go to, but I wouldn't wear it in philly. It's just not worth it. The point of wearing the jersey is to show pride for your team in another teams home. I've never heard of wearing your teams jersey in another city for a game and completely ignoring the hometown faithful. It just doesn't happen. It's just in most other places there's a lot more good natured ribbing back and forth with the absolute worst being the yelling or the very very infrequent beer dump. In philly that stuff is what you'd be hoping for, with the worst being some animal bashing your face in.
To the bold: This is how you let the idea of terror win. I realize it's hyperbole, but it's really the same principle. A man was attacked for wearing a jersey, so now some folks won't wear a jersey. Personally, I think it's the wrong idea.

To the underlined: I've seen plenty of fans come to MSG, cheer on their team (not the Rangers), and leave. And I've done the same.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
  #16
McIlrathsWrath
Registered User
 
McIlrathsWrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New york
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
I don't know why people make this such an issue. Going to a hockey game is just like going to a bar or club, if you are loud and obnoxious you might get into it with someone. If you go about your business you'll be fine. I would never consider not wearing my ranger jersey to any ranger game.

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:05 PM
  #17
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
You realize the guy who was beaten up was a war vet right? He had it coming? Grow up. If you read what I said I said it would be very unlikely that anything would happen. However, to pretend there is no risk flies in the face of all reason. It comes down to how you value things.
There's "some" risk everywhere. Theres the same amount of idiots in Philly as there is in Boston, Montreal or Long Island.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:18 PM
  #18
PJStock*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
You realize the guy who was beaten up was a war vet right? He had it coming? Grow up. If you read what I said I said it would be very unlikely that anything would happen. However, to pretend there is no risk flies in the face of all reason. It comes down to how you value things.
Flyer fan coming in peace here. (Please don't give me an infraction for trolling just because of that)

As many fans have already stated on this thread, you don't need to expect trouble unless you are either a) instigating fights yourself while being a drunk moron b) respond to drunk morons heckling (every city has them) c) being obnoxious and unaware of your surroundings. (i.e yelling after each goal, standing up, taunting fans, etc)
I've been down there a few times, and on several occasions was not wearing any team jersey, and was mistaken for an opponent's fan. Not much you can do but just ignore the taunting and watch the game. I'd imagine it's exactly the same in NYR.

And just to let you in on a hint: Just because someone is a war vet, doesn't exactly mean they are unable to do any wrong. I'm sorry, but that is just way too naiive. YES, in this case, he was innocent, but being a war vet shouldn't give you a free pass in life.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:12 AM
  #19
mahonistan*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
I went to the Giants Eagles game in filthy this year. I threw down with some jerks. They kept throwing beer at me then they came down and got all confrontational. Can't go back to the stadium for awhile lol

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:51 AM
  #20
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
Flyer fan coming in peace here. (Please don't give me an infraction for trolling just because of that)

As many fans have already stated on this thread, you don't need to expect trouble unless you are either a) instigating fights yourself while being a drunk moron b) respond to drunk morons heckling (every city has them) c) being obnoxious and unaware of your surroundings. (i.e yelling after each goal, standing up, taunting fans, etc)
I've been down there a few times, and on several occasions was not wearing any team jersey, and was mistaken for an opponent's fan. Not much you can do but just ignore the taunting and watch the game. I'd imagine it's exactly the same in NYR.

And just to let you in on a hint: Just because someone is a war vet, doesn't exactly mean they are unable to do any wrong. I'm sorry, but that is just way too naiive. YES, in this case, he was innocent, but being a war vet shouldn't give you a free pass in life.
You say you need to bring **** upon yourself or you'll be fine then you say this decorated war vet didn't do anything wrong and this thug still jumped him, which is what happened according to the Philly cops too. Doublethink much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
There's "some" risk everywhere. Theres the same amount of idiots in Philly as there is in Boston, Montreal or Long Island.
No, there is different risk in different places. There are a lot more idiots in Philly than just about anywhere else when it comes to sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
To the bold: This is how you let the idea of terror win. I realize it's hyperbole, but it's really the same principle. A man was attacked for wearing a jersey, so now some folks won't wear a jersey. Personally, I think it's the wrong idea.

To the underlined: I've seen plenty of fans come to MSG, cheer on their team (not the Rangers), and leave. And I've done the same.
Dude, it's just a hockey game. Let the terrorists of Philly take away your freedom to go to their home wearing a ton of gear. There are more important things in life... Learn to pick your battles.


Last edited by Kel Varnsen: 02-08-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:51 AM
  #21
buckerss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Don't even wear your Rangers gear or say anything. They are a bunch of animals down there. Good luck.
hahah

leafers fan here.
the trick is to get one or two people in your party to sport a flyers tshirt for safety.

buckerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:17 PM
  #22
PJStock*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
You say you need to bring **** upon yourself or you'll be fine then you say this decorated war vet didn't do anything wrong and this thug still jumped him, which is what happened according to the Philly cops too. Doublethink much?



No, there is different risk in different places. There are a lot more idiots in Philly than just about anywhere else when it comes to sports.



Dude, it's just a hockey game. Let the terrorists of Philly take away your freedom to go to their home wearing a ton of gear. There are more important things in life... Learn to pick your battles.
Seriously? You are blowing this all out of proportion. I'll admit there is a problem, like in many big cities in the States (a lot less than here in Canada anyway), but you really should get all that prejudice out of your system. Anyway, no one is forcing you to go there and 'risk your life' in the Philadelphia 'ghetto.'
The sentence underneath your Jerry Seinfeld avatar in this case is quite fitting.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:48 PM
  #23
MadHookUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Living in Pennsylvania, I have probably gone to 10 or so games in Philly while wearing Rangers gear. There are some things you can do to pretty much assure that you wont get messed with...

1.) Dont taunt other fans or act obnoxious, if the Rangers score or are winning you can cheer. But I wouldnt say anything to any of the other fans. I wouldnt turn around, just face forward.

2.) If someone crosses the line, just ignore them.

Philadelphia fans are pack animals. The more you are outnumbered, the braver they get. So trying to defend yourself could trigger some mob mentality where you are fighting off multiple people. As long as you are following my rules above, you should be fine. Even when following my rules I have had people scream in my face and throw shoulders into me while walking to the parking lot. But I am capable of looking the other way. If you are the type of person that needs to go all alpha male when this happens, stay at home.

At the same time, this is a Saturday afternoon game. Expect a lot of families and children. It will be much calmer than other games.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:53 PM
  #24
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
Seriously? You are blowing this all out of proportion. I'll admit there is a problem, like in many big cities in the States (a lot less than here in Canada anyway), but you really should get all that prejudice out of your system. Anyway, no one is forcing you to go there and 'risk your life' in the Philadelphia 'ghetto.'
The sentence underneath your Jerry Seinfeld avatar in this case is quite fitting.
I'm not even the one going...

And I never said ghetto. It's a dump of a city though.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:25 PM
  #25
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
You realize the guy who was beaten up was a war vet right? He had it coming? Grow up. If you read what I said I said it would be very unlikely that anything would happen. However, to pretend there is no risk flies in the face of all reason. It comes down to how you value things.
How is that relevant?

Was he wearing his uniform? No.

He is a Rangers fan who is also a war vet, most likely unbeknownst to the attackers.

For the OP, as long as you aren't a d-bag you should be fine. You might get some heckling, but as long as you're not starting anything you'll be OK.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.