NHL 12 & General Video Game Discussion Part Deux

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Doing playoffs in 12-13 season with the Wild on Be a GM. My mate's PS3 so I don't have my own save but figured I'd play this one for a while now.

Started on 2011 draft (again), traded for #1 pick for some assets which I can't remember and picked Larsson. Went on and picked Landeskog on Wild's pick. Missed 2012 playoffs by a country mile after selling some assets for younger players and such.

My current lines, as of 2013 playoffs first round (vs. Anaheim, won 1st game home 4-3 on 2nd overtime with 3sec left on the clock):

Bouchard (85) - Koivu (88) - Nash (89)
J. Jokinen (83) - Brule (83) - Clutterbuck (83)
Foligno (82) - Granlund (80) - Sexton (76)
Abdelkader (80) - Z. Smith (81) - Landeskog (74)
Kassian (76)

Burns (85) - Stuart (83)
Corvo (83) - Zanon (82)
Larsson (78) - Scandella (80)
Spurgeon (78)

Rask (87)
Harding (83)

Injured:

T. Ruutu (84) - Broken elbow (9 days) - Plays normally 2nd line RW
Bergeron (82) - Broken ankle (2 weeks) - Normally 1st pair D

Old
02-20-2012, 01:23 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Doing playoffs in 12-13 season with the Wild on Be a GM. My mate's PS3 so I don't have my own save but figured I'd play this one for a while now.

Started on 2011 draft (again), traded for #1 pick for some assets which I can't remember and picked Larsson. Went on and picked Landeskog on Wild's pick. Missed 2012 playoffs by a country mile after selling some assets for younger players and such.

My current lines, as of 2013 playoffs first round (vs. Anaheim, won 1st game home 4-3 on 2nd overtime with 3sec left on the clock):

Bouchard (85) - Koivu (88) - Nash (89)
J. Jokinen (83) - Brule (83) - Clutterbuck (83)
Foligno (82) - Granlund (80) - Sexton (76)
Abdelkader (80) - Z. Smith (81) - Landeskog (74)
Kassian (76)

Burns (85) - Stuart (83)
Corvo (83) - Zanon (82)
Larsson (78) - Scandella (80)
Spurgeon (78)

Rask (87)
Harding (83)

Injured:

T. Ruutu (84) - Broken elbow (9 days) - Plays normally 2nd line RW
Bergeron (82) - Broken ankle (2 weeks) - Normally 1st pair D
Nice lineup. Salary Cap On/Off?

And I haven't been able to play Xbox since Thursday. I'm having withdrawals

My 3DS is just not the same. Especially when all I have are Super Mario Bros(DS), Pokemon HeartGold, and LoZ: Ocarina of Time, the last of which frustrates me to no end so I simply refuse to play it.

I went out looking for the new Resident Evil game for 3DS this weekend. Went to Target, Walmart, and Gamestop and all three were sold out. Maybe I can find it back in Grand Forks, but I doubt it. Game looks really good, too.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post

My 3DS is just not the same. Especially when all I have are Super Mario Bros(DS), Pokemon HeartGold, and LoZ: Ocarina of Time, the last of which frustrates me to no end so I simply refuse to play it.

I went out looking for the new Resident Evil game for 3DS this weekend. Went to Target, Walmart, and Gamestop and all three were sold out. Maybe I can find it back in Grand Forks, but I doubt it. Game looks really good, too.
Should probably check stores in Fargo-Moorhead too, its only a 90 minute drive from GF on I-29.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
On, of course.

Quote:

Only handheld I've ever had was a Sony PSP. I liked it to an extent, but I traded it for an iPod nano which I actually enjoyed until it broke about a year later.

Been enjoying DiRT 3 as well recently, even though it has way too many gymkhana challenges and way too short races. Two stage rallies, both stages 5km long just doesn't cut it for me. The rallycross makes some fun split screen action though. Shame that there aren't any more tracks. What pisses me off the most is the amount of DLC that you have to pay for in the game. A rip-off.

Really tempted to buy X360 and Forza 4 but just don't want to spend 150-250€ for a console and 60€ for the game, even if it is better than GT5. Choices, choices. Might buy friend's PC though, it runs Civ 5 quite well so it should be enough for me. This laptop has seen it's best days already, and it has an integrated GPU as well which plain sucks.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

I wish I had the money for an Xbox 360 and NHL 12.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Should probably check stores in Fargo-Moorhead too, its only a 90 minute drive from GF on I-29.
I'd call them first. 90 minute drive is quite long for a game.

Too many people seem to forget that a phone is very useful for finding out information without having to go there. Just call 'em, ask if they could reserve one for you and say that you'll be coming to pick it up in, say, two hours or so. Actually, I'd call 'em ASAP just to be sure. Might not work out always, but it usually does and you don't have to waste fuel in case they're out of stock.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
I wish I had the money for an Xbox 360 and NHL 12.
My friend has a PS3 that he'll probably sell soon anyway. The postage is probably going to be a ***** since it's in Finland, but we can probably work a deal. It's 80gb, the first gen. model so it's still gonna be cheaper than a new X360. I'd suggest looking for one used in US first though.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
I'd call them first. 90 minute drive is quite long for a game.

Too many people seem to forget that a phone is very useful for finding out information without having to go there. Just call 'em, ask if they could reserve one for you and say that you'll be coming to pick it up in, say, two hours or so. Actually, I'd call 'em ASAP just to be sure. Might not work out always, but it usually does and you don't have to waste fuel in case they're out of stock.
Yeah thats what I meant. I would call Best Buy, Gamestop, Target, Walmart, and Kmart. The department stores can usually check other stores stock too so usually you only need to call one and they can say "Well we dont have any copies here at the 13th avenue store, but the Moorhead store has a few left".

Old
02-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
My friend has a PS3 that he'll probably sell soon anyway. The postage is probably going to be a ***** since it's in Finland, but we can probably work a deal. It's 80gb, the first gen. model so it's still gonna be cheaper than a new X360. I'd suggest looking for one used in US first though.
Well I have no idea if a Finnish PS3 would even work in the US. Would probably need a power converter, and I have no idea if the outputs are compatable with US TV inputs.

Plus I already use an Xbox 360 wireless controller to play games on my computer, so picking up an Xbox 360 would just make sense since I could use the controller on both systems then.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Well I have no idea if a Finnish PS3 would even work in the US. Would probably need a power converter, and I have no idea if the outputs are compatable with US TV inputs.

Plus I already use an Xbox 360 wireless controller to play games on my computer, so picking up an Xbox 360 would just make sense since I could use the controller on both systems then.
He has two controllers that you could probably get in the deal. It uses a standard PC power cable that connects to an adapter so you'd probably need an EU -> US adapter for that.

I think SCART and HDMI outputs are universal, I might be wrong though. HDMI should be at least.

The problem are the games, obviously. I might pick up a used NHL 12 over here and include it in the package though, but that would add weight (not much) and price obviously.

Old
02-20-2012, 01:52 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Yeah region encoding would **** you over. You can get a used Xbox for $150 now, anyway...

Old
02-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
He has two controllers that you could probably get in the deal. It uses a standard PC power cable that connects to an adapter so you'd probably need an EU -> US adapter for that.

I think SCART and HDMI outputs are universal, I might be wrong though. HDMI should be at least.

The problem are the games, obviously. I might pick up a used NHL 12 over here and include it in the package though, but that would add weight (not much) and price obviously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Yeah region encoding would **** you over. You can get a used Xbox for $150 now, anyway...
Yeah I think I'm probably going to have to pass on the Finnish PS3. Thanks for the offer tho.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

So I tried playing MW3 for the first time in a while yesterday and whenever a map started to load it would kick me back to the main menu and say "Disc read error". I'm thinking maybe my PS3 has finally started to have problems but my NHL 12 is working better than ever so how is it possible that one game works fine and another doesn't work much if it's my PS3 having problems?

Old
02-21-2012, 04:54 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

My guess, it's a problem with the disk.

Btw-only two weeks from me3!

Old
02-21-2012, 09:40 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
So I tried playing MW3 for the first time in a while yesterday and whenever a map started to load it would kick me back to the main menu and say "Disc read error". I'm thinking maybe my PS3 has finally started to have problems but my NHL 12 is working better than ever so how is it possible that one game works fine and another doesn't work much if it's my PS3 having problems?
You likely need to rebuild the PS3 database. It'll delete all your messages, but otherwise leaves the file system intact. I posted instructions on it somewhere early in this thread IIRC. Otherwise, just search for a youtube vid.

The short instructions are:

Turn PS3 off

Plug in controller via USB

Hold the power button in until the PS3 fully cycles (Beeps, beeps again, turns back off)

Hold the power button in until the double beep (beeps, double beeps? might be an extra beep in there) then let go

This should take you to the debug menu. Choose "rebuild database"

It says it could take a few hours, should take less than 5 minutes. Just follow the on screen instructions.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:43 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
You have a school email account right? Sign up for free Amazon Prime for Students. You'll get free 2 day delivery, and $4 overnight shipping on pretty much anything from Amazon. I had to pay for it on account of being old, but it's definitely worth it. You'll also get free access to Amazon's equivalent to Netflix. It's not supported by too many devices, but you can at least watch on PC.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wii was acting all kinds of funny so wiped it and went in and bought Super Mario World. Love the game but the castles/haunted houses are meh.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

...must try an SSD in my PS3...

Old
02-21-2012, 11:53 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'd love to but I can't justify dropping $300-$400 to upgrade my console. I've managed to put off dropping more money on my current PC (even though I know just how massive the performance boosts are) but SSDs are just too pricy for me to put one in my PS3 when I'm already ridiculously low on free space.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Regarding SSDs... I have only ever heard that they're the most reliable drive you'll ever buy or that they're the most unreliable.. But nothing ever in-between. You guys have any experience with them?

Old
02-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
I've heard it's pretty average.

It's a prequel to RE5 with a strange story. Gameplay looks more like RE4 than 5.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah I read the article after posting the link and it wasn't quite as impressive. Apparently a 7200rpm drive is a good affordable upgrade though.

Made me think though the next gen consoles likely will focus on textures, memory, and bus speeds. The physics and lighting has to be close enough and I'm sure just having 8-10 years newer tech will give enough polygons, but high resolution textures and running constant 60fps will be delicious.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:24 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah I read the article after posting the link and it wasn't quite as impressive. Apparently a 7200rpm drive is a good affordable upgrade though.

Made me think though the next gen consoles likely will focus on textures, memory, and bus speeds. The physics and lighting has to be close enough and I'm sure just having 8-10 years newer tech will give enough polygons, but high resolution textures and running constant 60fps will be delicious.
The SSD improvement is basically equivalent to running a 360 game from the HDD versus running it from the disc. That's to say, pretty significant, but not ground breaking. The PS3's only limitation right now is the horrendously low amount of system RAM. If the system had 1-2GB instead of the 256MB or 512MB (I forget which) that it currently runs, it would likely still have at least another 4-5 years worth of life expectancy.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Dee Oh Cee

!

Old
02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have been way out of the loop for a while, but are computers moving towards shared memory with high bus speeds or continuing with separate system and video memory? I don't know enough about the tech behind it but my gut says if the processor and bus speed is fast enough, shared memory could be a big plus as the CPU could allocate everything more efficiently than trying to split and go back and forth. Might make coding easier too, don't know. But then again, parallel cores and multi threading seem to be the direction rather than one fast processor.

Closed Thread