Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2012, 12:54 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I have been way out of the loop for a while, but are computers moving towards shared memory with high bus speeds or continuing with separate system and video memory? I don't know enough about the tech behind it but my gut says if the processor and bus speed is fast enough, shared memory could be a big plus as the CPU could allocate everything more efficiently than trying to split and go back and forth. Might make coding easier too, don't know. But then again, parallel cores and multi threading seem to be the direction rather than one fast processor.
I've been slowly backing out of the know on it all, but systems are definitely splitting a bit more between efficiency and power. It used to be that everyone wanted the big, powerful system with tons of resources, but the generic consumer market is shifting much more towards "fast enough" and "not power hungry." High end systems are still definitely about separate resources for every different part and will be for a while. The generic consumer models are going far more towards the shared resource systems as they use far less electricity and have much lower production costs when everything's put on the same die.

There would have to be a significant paradigm shift in demand for high end systems for "all-in-one" type parts to start becoming even remotely desirable though. The cost savings to consumers for modular systems (where you can upgrade 1-2 parts at a time) and the overall "tuning" preferences mean that if there's ever change away from that, it's going to be by dragging the niche market kicking and screaming.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh I was more thinking in terms of building the video game system. I suppose they are so used to the current structure of separate CPU/GPU that it wouldn't be an issue to keep going that way.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:08 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Oh I was more thinking in terms of building the video game system. I suppose they are so used to the current structure of separate CPU/GPU that it wouldn't be an issue to keep going that way.
Ah. I'm not exactly sure how they're looking going ahead in that regard, but I can't imagine a way that shared resources would be more powerful. Cost efficiency is a big deal for them (because $600 is too much to release a console at) but I can't imagine that they could squeeze that much cost efficiency out of shared resources to make up for the performance dip.

We also all remember how much complaining there was about the "difficulty" in programming for the PS3. That wasn't because of poorly designed language or requirements, it was 100% derived from being "different."

Outside of Nintendo (who are obsessive about production costs beyond any and all other considerations combined) I can't see a console manufacturer combining processing into a single, conventional unit.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
You likely need to rebuild the PS3 database. It'll delete all your messages, but otherwise leaves the file system intact. I posted instructions on it somewhere early in this thread IIRC. Otherwise, just search for a youtube vid.

The short instructions are:

Turn PS3 off

Plug in controller via USB

Hold the power button in until the PS3 fully cycles (Beeps, beeps again, turns back off)

Hold the power button in until the double beep (beeps, double beeps? might be an extra beep in there) then let go

This should take you to the debug menu. Choose "rebuild database"

It says it could take a few hours, should take less than 5 minutes. Just follow the on screen instructions.
That's actually the first thing I did when it started happening and it didn't help at all unfortunately.

Old
02-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 83
NHL 99's Physics continue to amaze me. Playing the Flyers and one of my guys just got checked from the Flyers right faceoff dot and was thrown at warp speed all the way into the glass behind the goal line in my end.

Glad I'm playing with injuries off. That would have broken his everything.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:38 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

So, ya, I've been playing NBA Jam for the good majority of the day. Game was/is awesome. They should make real basketball like it and I'd watch more often.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
So, ya, I've been playing NBA Jam for the good majority of the day. Game was/is awesome. They should make real basketball like it and I'd watch more often.
I used to love that game.

A real full-court two-on-two league would actually be a pretty awesome form of basketball.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:52 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

A real full-court two-on-two league would actually be a pretty awesome form of basketball.
Even more so when the players can jump 50 feet up in the air, play full contact, and be on fire.

Hell, I have HD TV. Start injecting these players with every performance enhancing drug they can think of. I think we as fans deserve the best athletes scientist can create.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:58 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

Either that or someone should bring back slamball.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
02-21-2012, 06:35 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Agreed, and the same is true for NFL Blitz and football.

Old
02-21-2012, 06:42 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Someone makes 3 buckets in a row... They set the ball on fire. That would be worth the price of admission.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:43 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post

!
Simply awesome!

Old
02-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

NBA Jam was one of the first games I ever owned for the Sega Genesis and probably one that gave me the most entertainment.

LOVED that game.

Quote:
Did anybody ever play NHL Hitz? Basically the same thing where you can check your opponents through the glass regularly, blast flaming slap shots and run the goalie Holmstrom-style with no penalties. That game was so much fun to play.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Kid was watching me play Super Mario World last night. Best part was in the ghost house, he was calling the Boo Buddies "fishies" and the Big Boo a "scary fish".

And you guys can keep your crappy cut scene fest, I'm pumped for this (yes those are all in game graphics):

Old
02-22-2012, 12:32 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
What system was that for? That game sounds like it would be a blast!

What about moving all the video game posts over to the video game thread?
GameCube. God that game as ****ing great. I'd be all over an updated version for XBLA.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
GameCube. God that game as ****ing great. I'd be all over an updated version for XBLA.
Gamecube huh? Hey I've got one of those.

Wonder how much it goes for in pawn shops and on eBay.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:41 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:

Looks like Amazon has it under $10 used. About $13 with Prime shipping, if you have Amazon Prime (which is the greatest thing ever).

Also fun is getting to play with the expansion-era Wild.

"GuhBORik! to Krivokrasov! A turnover! Great save by (awkwardly synced gap) Fernandez!"

Old
02-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Looks like Amazon has it under $10 used. About $13 with Prime shipping, if you have Amazon Prime (which is the greatest thing ever).

"GuhBORik! to Krivokrasov! A turnover! Great save by (awkwardly synced gap) Fernandez!"
Oh god, I totally forgot that the pronunciation errors in that game were CLASSIC!

My version was for PS2 and I actually own one of the PS3's that still plays PS2 games. Too bad I don't have the game anymore.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:

I'll have to see about picking up a copy then.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Did anybody ever play NHL Hitz? Basically the same thing where you can check your opponents through the glass regularly, blast flaming slap shots and run the goalie Holmstrom-style with no penalties. That game was so much fun to play.
Love that game. I will still pop it in my PS2 every once in a while. I have the one with Scott Stevens on the cover.. '02 I think. The hitting never gets old and games are usually like 11-9.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:

Or I could just give you mine. It's been sitting in my dad's basement in a cabinet for years not being used. Just tried it out a few weeks ago though so I know it works perfectly. $10 straight up. Cut out the middleman.

Edit: Whoops nevermind. I thought you said you wanted a gamecube but you said you already have one.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Or I could just give you mine. It's been sitting in my dad's basement in a cabinet for years not being used. Just tried it out a few weeks ago though so I know it works perfectly. $10 straight up. Cut out the middleman.

Edit: Whoops nevermind. I thought you said you wanted a gamecube but you said you already have one.
Nope, looking for the game, not the cube to put it in.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Love that game. I will still pop it in my PS2 every once in a while. I have the one with Scott Stevens on the cover.. '02 I think. The hitting never gets old and games are usually like 11-9.
My buddy had Hitz Pro with Lidstrom on the cover. He's a huge Wings fan from Michigan so he would play me with the Wings every time and destroy me because he had all the superstars on one team.

He has a couple kids now so that game's just collecting dust. I should take that off his hands soon...

Old
02-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
I'll have to see about picking up a copy then.
While you're at it, pick up a copy of 1080 Avalanche and F-Zero GX as well. Should be cheap & they are really, really good games. Oh, the endless hours on friend's GC, swearing all the pedestrians in the slopes to deepest depth of hell or trying to adjust your space-formula to the optimal settings.

Then again, it depends on what you're after. I'm currently after a non-chipped Dreamcast. I miss Virtua Tennis, Fighting Vipers II, original Soul Calibur, Virtua Athlete 2K and Formula One Championship or something along those lines. Oh, and Metropolis Street Racing. Maybe one of the greatest driving games ever, and this comes from a guy who adores anything that goes vroom.

I used to have one, but it was chipped and I was younger back then so didn't know how to get games for it. It was a great console though, my first real touch to the world of video games. Playing it on 14" CRT TV was a blast, and it's something I'd suggest not to do nowadays as it'll just kill the memories. The kids nowadays don't know what they've missed with all the HD crap and online everything.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:28 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i really need to load the first borderlands! man that second one looks balls out cool.

Closed Thread