Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Avder
Is only game.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
While you're at it, pick up a copy of 1080 Avalanche and F-Zero GX as well. Should be cheap & they are really, really good games. Oh, the endless hours on friend's GC, swearing all the pedestrians in the slopes to deepest depth of hell or trying to adjust your space-formula to the optimal settings.

Then again, it depends on what you're after. I'm currently after a non-chipped Dreamcast. I miss Virtua Tennis, Fighting Vipers II, original Soul Calibur, Virtua Athlete 2K and Formula One Championship or something along those lines. Oh, and Metropolis Street Racing. Maybe one of the greatest driving games ever, and this comes from a guy who adores anything that goes vroom.

I used to have one, but it was chipped and I was younger back then so didn't know how to get games for it. It was a great console though, my first real touch to the world of video games. Playing it on 14" CRT TV was a blast, and it's something I'd suggest not to do nowadays as it'll just kill the memories. The kids nowadays don't know what they've missed with all the HD crap and online everything.
F-Zero GX was the game I bought the day I got my Gamecube. I have logged untold hours on that game and theres still stuff I have yet to unlock.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Borderlands is one of my all time favorites. It's one of the few games I've beaten several times over including the DLC. The new classes should be fun to play.

I thought my build was good the first time around, then I went and read other people's builds, and holy crap now it just destroys. I never played through with a sniper though. Might just have to fire it back up soon...

What makes it so much fun is the perfect combo of a fast paced FPS with RPG leveling and lots of loot. The graphics are phenomenal (even on 360/PS3) and the characters are hilarious. The two big criticisms of the first game were not enough variety in landscape (lots of ruins) and mediocre story. I didn't really care about either one. It had a huge epic feel like Halo but the RPG/loot made it so much more addictive.

That game and booze were my summer last year. And the year before.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:34 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I liked Borderlands, and played through some of the DLC. But by the time I got to the Armory of General Knox or whatever it was, it just sort of fell off a cliff with me. I just sort of hit a "what's the point?" kind of wall and couldn't enjoy it anymore.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

Borderlands is an epic game, and I spent way too much time playing it.

I saw the trailer for the new one the other day and it looks epic as well. I have always been a fan of the millions of possibilities with the weapons.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Anyone else hear about this launch day DLC for Mass Effect 3?

I was already planning on skipping the game, but this just made the decision SUPER easy...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25054...o_boycott.html

Anyone wanting to avoid some degree of spoiler may want to avoid reading, but, long story short: they've created a DLC only character... Prior to the game's launch... That's only available if you buy the ($20 more expensive) collector's edition. And on top of that, the characters "details" pretty much ruin a lot of the mythology of the universe.

My only bit of editorializing is the last sentence there, and a lot of the outraged rabble seems to be saying the same thing...

I loved Bioware during the Baldurs's Gate, KOTOR and Jade Empire days, but I don't think I've really enjoyed anything they've done start to finish since.

Didn't like ME1, the vehicle missions were numerous and tedious and the combat felt really clunky. Didn't like ME2, they improved the combat but added to the tedium: the planet scanning was so much of a joke that they patched in an improvement (after I was already done with it...). Played DA:O start to finish once, and it was reminiscent of reading a book that someone you respect tells you to read. You just keep going, hoping it gets better, and then it never does, and you wasted all that time. Declined playing DA2 because of the almost universally bad reviews. Hearing good things about SWTOR, but I'm hearing it from the same people who still think WOW is a good game.

I dunno, maybe it's just a really easy complaint, and it's really tough for me to call a coincidence. But, ever since EA came into the picture, I haven't truly enjoyed any of their work...

/rant off

Old
02-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

KOTOR 1 & 2 were good, otherwise I haven't liked what they did. Mass Effect was okay, but didn't feel compelled to play the second one. Dragon Age was terrible. This will likely be good, but I just hate dialogue trees and cutscenes.

Old
02-25-2012, 02:34 AM
Dee Oh Cee

absolutely loved Dragon Age 1 and 2....Mass Effect 2 was amazing and even better than 1....cannottttt wait for 3. Sorry you feel that way.

Old
02-25-2012, 02:48 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

BioWare games fall into a category of game where I can recognize that they're well-made, and understand all the things I'm supposed to like about them, and really want to like them, but just don't feel in any way compelled to keep playing through even minor frustrations.

Other games I feel this way about: Fallout 3, Half-Life 2, Metal Gear Solid, BioShock

Old
02-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
BioWare games fall into a category of game where I can recognize that they're well-made, and understand all the things I'm supposed to like about them, and really want to like them, but just don't feel in any way compelled to keep playing through even minor frustrations.

Other games I feel this way about: Fallout 3, Half-Life 2, Metal Gear Solid, BioShock
Yeah I feel the same way about most of those games. Fallout 3 was a blast though because I dug the leveling and loot systems. Half-Life 2 was meh for me, never finished it. I also add Grand Theft Auto, Halo, and Assassin's Creed to those lists. I've owned all those games multiple times and never got much into them.

For me, the story and graphics aren't much of a reason to play. I like the feeling of progression, either through my character or the world. Big RPG guy.

One game that ate up way too much of my time was Lego Star Wars. Great mix of fun/easy gameplay, unlocking new powers, and then the completionist in me took over. Kind of like maxing your guys at 9999 HP, all of a sudden you want to do everything. Great game if you haven't played it.

Meh, I'm old and stuck in my ways I guess. Don't really have patience to sit through 5-10 hours of crappy game before it gets good. Can't remember the last game I played that was like that, although Fallout 3 and New Vegas both started kinda slow.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How about top 5 NES games? I think these are the ones I played the most.

1. Super Mario 3
2. SMB
3. Final Fantasy
4. Mega Man 3 (then 2, then 1...so hard)
5. Double Dragon 2 (and 3)

Never had a Zelda game for NES.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Avder
Is only game.

My NES Top 5:

Mega Man 2
Super Mario Brothers 3
Mega Man 3
Super Mario Brothers 2
Pinball

Old
02-25-2012, 10:31 AM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Borderlands: I was late to the party on this one, and when I tried to play it single player for a while and could not get into it. About two-three months after I bought it I went back and tried online, had a blast for a while.

Then I met some guy who said he could help me level up quickly, we go to max difficulty and boot up one of the DLCs and haul ass through the map to get to the final boss, some big ass dragon thing. He killed it with like three shots with his gun, I go up 10 levels without firing a bullet. We did that like 3-4 times and all of a sudden I'm at like level 50 or something. It kind of killed interest in the game for me. I did enjoy it though.

Bioware: KOTOR is my favorite game of all time. KOTOR 2 was made by Obsidion, not Bioware, just to clarify. But yeah, KOTOR is my favorite game of all time, it was my first Xbox game back when I got that sucker, and I just love that game to death. Never played Jade Empire, I might get it on Steam at some point.

Mass Effect was a great game, I loved it. Was late to the party on that one, too. Mass Effect 2 is probably one of my favorite games of this generation, I got the Collector's Edition and everything. Sadly, I don't have any money at the moment so I'll have to skip on Mass Effect 3 for a while. Dragon Age: Origins(the first one) is also a great game that I had tons of fun with. I skipped on Dragon Age 2 and have no desire to play it after I toyed around with the demo for a while. I did not enjoy the changes they made.

Fallout 3: Great game, one of my favorites of this generation. I don't have all of the DLCs yet but I intend to go back at some point and finish it. I also need to complete Fallout New Vegas.

Metal Gear Solid series: Not a fan at all. I tried MGS3 and one of the Portable Ops for PSP a long time ago, I just do not enjoy the gameplay at all. No intention of trying it again.

Half Life series: same as MGS. I rented Orange Box and had tons of fun with Portal and enjoyed TF2 but could not get into Half Life at all. It was just way too boring. Not gonna try it any time soon.

BioShock: Really, really, REALLY loved the demo of the first one when it came out. It was one of the best demos I have ever played. I missed launch of the game and tried going back to it when my backlog died down a bit, and could not get into it. Way too boring. No intention of trying it again.

Grand Theft Auto: The only one I've ever really enjoyed is Vice City Stories for PSP. And even then, I could only play it for a few minutes at a time before I shut it off. I just don't enjoy these types of games much.

Assassins Creed: I dig it. I have AC2 and AC: Revelations. I completed AC2 and am probably halfway through Revelations right now. I could not get into the first one, and I tried playing Brotherhood a few days after I had just devoted a week of my life to AC2 and they were far too similar. Took a break and went back for AC:R and it has fulfilled another want in my life

Halo: My favorite game series of all time, easily. I own all of the games(collectors edition for Halo 2, two legendary Halo 3 editions, collectors edition Halo: Reach), I own all of the books, all of the comics, I have some action figures( ), the encyclopedia, the art book, the cartoon compilation movie, I have written fan fiction for it in the past...the universe just took a hold of me and has not let go yet. I love it. ****ing amazing.

I am too young to be part of the NES/SNES generation. I started with Nintendo 64. Can't partake in that discussion

There, hopefully I'm caught up with all the little convos that are going on right now

Old
02-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post

That's a good way to put it. I liked FO3, but it petered out towards the end, when I inevitably (for a Bethesda game) became irrationally overpowered. The same thing has happened in Skyrim, I haven't finished FO3 or Skyrim.

I wish I liked the ME series more, because the people who do like it tend to be really passionate about it. I just can't get past the chat wheel nonsense.

It just gives me a really fake feeling of control. As soon as I realize that almost every situation is one of two scenarios: "There's a correct answer and an incorrect answer" or "Let everyone walk all over you and be the 'good guy' / be a passive aggressive jerk and don't commit to anything / be a total jerk and ensure that no one likes you" it lost it's luster.

I'd rather they come out and say "Alright, we've got X number of endings, see how many you can get!" rather than what they do now. I'm probably dating myself, but I miss the old RPG's that left it wide open (Chrono Trigger is a phenomenal example, if anyone is having a hard time following me), rather than the current feux control that seems to be the norm. There are still just those giant breaking points to the story with Bioware games, it's just substantially less obvious, because they invalidate the importance of making choices by making you make too many unimportant choices.

I just get a really cheesy "choose your own adventure" vibe. If I wanted that, I'd play more open world games where I'm truly choosing what to do and not do (hello, Bethesda). If I'm not playing something open world, I want to be told a story, I don't want to have to drive the story.

TL;DR: Unless something is truly open world, I want it to be more like a book: a set story that I'm experiencing. I don't want a dozen possible stories that I don't know I'm experiencing because I'm so focused on making the "right" decision.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I am too young to be part of the NES/SNES generation. I started with Nintendo 64. Can't partake in that discussion
You need to download an emulator right now and play some super mario and megaman.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:46 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Re: Launch Day DLC -

I'll just paraphrase Gabe from Penny Arcade. "I got so ripped off by Lord of the Rings. They filmed all three movies at once, so I should have only needed to buy one ticket."

Old
02-27-2012, 08:05 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

The launch day dlc was made specifically for the me3 collectors edition, those who purchased that paid for it knowing they were getting an extra squad mate and mission, as it was advertised as such a year ago. Bioware decided to make it available to the buyers of the standard edition later as well for a price... go figure, ce pushers paid a premium, so must everyone else... It's still cheaper to go with the se and buy the dlc separate.

Nothing wrong at all with what Bioware is doing. It's just consumers who didn't feel the need to research the readily available marketing, just blindly ordering one version, then crying foul when it was known forever that the ce had extra content.

Only 8 days until mass effect 3!

Last edited by TaLoN: 02-27-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old
02-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Personally I'd rather see lower prices and more DLC, or episodic games. Makes the initial investment lower. Won't happen with big publishers though.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:05 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Personally I'd rather see lower prices and more DLC, or episodic games. Makes the initial investment lower. Won't happen with big publishers though.
I agree, however, I'd say it has happened to an extent in two ways. We've seen a number of games like Dungeon Defenders where the game came with a lower inital cost ($20 regular price, but frequent sales) and lots of optional DLC. AAA titles haven't done that, and likely never will, but I imagine we'll see it much more frequently in the next generation of console, as PC games (mostly via Steam) have a ton of this for non-AAA games. The other effect we've seen is a halt in price increases. Games have stayed at $60 for a while now, and history has shown they should have crept up to around $70 by now.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep that's exactly what I think too.

They know everyone and their grandma will buy the next Call of Duty or Half Life or Mass Effect. It's the smaller titles that will generate interest.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Quote:
Yep that's exactly what I think too.

They know everyone and their grandma will buy the next Call of Duty or Half Life or Mass Effect. It's the smaller titles that will generate interest.
Just tried that game for the first time. WTH is wrong with me? I saw a friend play it for 15 minutes and came away thinking it was a game where you walked around a spaceship having long chain conversations.. then you'd probe/mine for coal.. then kill a robot or two. I always wondered why it was rated "M". Then I played it myself...

Old
02-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

As a rule, I dislike games where it's so slow to move around and interact with people. It's just annoying. Let me run quickly through the environment so I can hurry up and have some fun. It ain't fun reading dialogue trees and walking down hallways in shopping malls.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:41 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
As a rule, I dislike games where it's so slow to move around and interact with people. It's just annoying. Let me run quickly through the environment so I can hurry up and have some fun. It ain't fun reading dialogue trees and walking down hallways in shopping malls.
So you're not a fan of Final Fantasy: Endless Corridor...I mean XIII?

Old
02-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I love reading people trying to defend that game. It's hilarious.

My favorite review

Quote:
The level design in Final Fantasy XIII is about as deep or interesting as the mazes on the back of a Denny’s kids’ menu. All deviations from the main path can be immediately identified as such by glancing at the mini-map in the corner of the screen. Every deviation holds a monster, a treasure, or (later in the game) a switch to flip in order to open a door further down the main path.
Quote:
Final Fantasy XIII is most likely a game made entirely by artists. They drew characters and monsters and everyone on the team was pre-programmed to believe that these games are mostly popular because of their graphical presentations, and that if these artists made it through the hiring process, they must be geniuses. A producer admitted that “there is enough discarded Final Fantasy XIII to make an entire other game”. This is a bad thing to admit in an interview, because it indicates that the development team just didn’t know, from the very beginning, what the game was going to be about.

Old
02-27-2012, 01:21 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
They do have a fast transport system you can use once you've been to an environment.

Old
02-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was a blast.

RE: The DLC issue, it's kind of a two-edged sword. What they should do is lower the initial prize if they offer some of the content as DLC. What they are doing is keeping the 69,95€ initial prize for most games, taking some content out and offering it as a DLC. It's ridiculous. DiRT 3 is a prime example of this... "Buy this game used and you have to pay €10 if you want to play online". **** that ****.

Closed Thread