HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Albany/WBS Game 10/24/04

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Great start but a couple things have bothered me up till this point in the season:

- Tuomas Pihlman really has to get going. He has all the tools to dominate the league, Pikkarainen isn't as talented as him and Pihlman will have to leave Pikka behind if he wants to further his career.

- Either play Khomutov on one of the first three lines or send him down to ECHL. Playing him with two goons is not going to do **** for his development.

- It seems Ftorek is favoring Clemmensen over Ahonen and I can't see why. Both times Ahonen played he won and has looked extremely solid in doing so. Ahonen is our future starter, develop him.

- I still can't see the point of playing Clouthier, Skrlac and Janssen in the same games. Clouthier and Skrlac will never make the NHL and 1 goon or even 2 at the most is good enough for a game.
I think I can explain everything but Pihlman.

Ftorek and Lamoriello want to win, and they're going to do what they need to do to win.

Old
10-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Great start but a couple things have bothered me up till this point in the season:

- Tuomas Pihlman really has to get going. He has all the tools to dominate the league, Pikkarainen isn't as talented as him and Pihlman will have to leave Pikka behind if he wants to further his career.

- Either play Khomutov on one of the first three lines or send him down to ECHL. Playing him with two goons is not going to do **** for his development.

- It seems Ftorek is favoring Clemmensen over Ahonen and I can't see why. Both times Ahonen played he won and has looked extremely solid in doing so. Ahonen is our future starter, develop him.

- I still can't see the point of playing Clouthier, Skrlac and Janssen in the same games. Clouthier and Skrlac will never make the NHL and 1 goon or even 2 at the most is good enough for a game.
Send Ivan back to the Knights where he belongs, so he can win a Memorial Cup this year!

Old
10-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
I think I can explain everything but Pihlman.

Ftorek and Lamoriello want to win, and they're going to do what they need to do to win.
Ftorek wants to win so he plays the inferior goaltender.
Ftorek wants to win so he plays a bunch of goons who to this point haven't been impressive.

Not only does that not make sense but it is a poor business decision. Spending money developing players who have no NHL potential.

Old
10-24-2004, 08:11 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Ftorek wants to win so he plays a bunch of goons who to this point haven't been impressive.

Not only does that not make sense but it is a poor business decision. Spending money developing players who have no NHL potential.
Well, I'm not sure, but they just recalled Kostur, so it sounds like something might be up with Ari.

Old
10-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:

Those goons have been fantastic so far, IMO. They've added energy, protected the youngsters, and have made effective checkers. Plus, he's not playing the inferior goaltender - he's playing the goaltender who has NHL experience and his playing good hockey right now.

Old
10-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Devils Unseen Hand

Quote:

The reason we have Clouthier, Skrlac and Janssen all playing in the same game is a simple one...to provide insurance that no one takes runs at Parise and gets away with it. They have extremely high hopes for him and his future with the Devils. Thus, they want him safeguarded.

Plus, Ftorek is old school hockey. He believes that putting fear into your opponents is a key factor in winning. That is something Albany has been missing since he left to coach the Devils years back.

Robbie will let his stars shine & at the same time, let his goons take care of the rest. The only reason Clouthier is dressed as much as he is...is that (to my understanding) they don't want Hale to be fighting as much as he does, but to focus more on developing his defensive skills. The same goes for DeMarchi.

Its now evident with their current record, goals & PIM's.

Old
10-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devils Repairman
The reason we have Clouthier, Skrlac and Janssen all playing in the same game is a simple one...to provide insurance that no one takes runs at Parise and gets away with it. They have extremely high hopes for him and his future with the Devils. Thus, they want him safeguarded.

Plus, Ftorek is old school hockey. He believes that putting fear into your opponents is a key factor in winning. That is something Albany has been missing since he left to coach the Devils years back.

Robbie will let his stars shine & at the same time, let his goons take care of the rest. The only reason Clouthier is dressed as much as he is...is that (to my understanding) they don't want Hale to be fighting as much as he does, but to focus more on developing his defensive skills. The same goes for DeMarchi.

Its now evident with their current record, goals & PIM's.
2 enforcers are enough to keep the place in check. Almost every game Clouthier, Skrlac and Janssen have been in the lineup when one of Parise, Khomutov, Foster or Suglobov had to sit. The record and goals for are not because we have goons in the lineup, its because we have scary core of forwards this year.

Old
10-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Those goons have been fantastic so far, IMO. They've added energy, protected the youngsters, and have made effective checkers. Plus, he's not playing the inferior goaltender - he's playing the goaltender who has NHL experience and his playing good hockey right now.
You actually think 4 games in the NHL should give Clemmensen the edge in an AHL game? BS, Ahonen has outplayed him by a good piece so far this season. Ahonen has allways had the better stats. Ahonen had horrible timing last year, thats the only reason why Clemmensen went up. Ahonen just came down after sitting for 5 games as Brodeur's backup and Ahonen wasn't in game shape.

Old
10-24-2004, 10:48 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
A sign of offensive prowess to come?

17:20 25 David Hale (21 Pascal Rheaume)

And it was a roofer.
That's David Hale's first professional goal.

Old
10-24-2004, 10:59 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

There are 4 rats that are a PPG or better.

Suglobov with 9 points in 5 games
Voros with 8 points in 6 games
Parise with 7 points in 5 games
Foster with 3 points in 3 games

Our defense's offensive numbers:

Redlihs with 4 points in 6 games
Schultz with 3 points in 6 games
Allen with 2 goals in 6 games
Hale with 3 points in 6 games
DeMarchi with 1 point in 6 games
Kesa with 0 points in 6 games

Top 5 +- through 6 games:

McAmmond = +5
Schultz = +5
Allen = +5
Voros = +4
Hale = +4
Murphy = +4
Rheaume = +4

Goaltending Stats through 6 games:

Ahonen - 2 wins, 0 losses, 1.50 GAA, .943 SV%
Clemmensen - 2 wins, 2 losses, 2.48 GAA, .904 SV%

Shots on goal leaders:

Suglobov - 21
Voros - 17
Parise - 17
Pihlman - 15
McAmmond - 14

PIM Leaders:

Janssen - 55 PIM
Voros - 36 PIM
Skrlac - 31 PIM
Clouthier - 29 PIM
Schultz - 22 PIM

Old
10-24-2004, 11:09 PM
Hellsempire

Rats are on fire as of late and the last three games they outscored their opponets 15-4... Great win today by the Rats and great to see Parise, Voros, Foster and Suggy scoring goals at will... Keep it going Rats!

Rats 4-2 on the season now and a three game winning streak...

Old
10-24-2004, 11:11 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
That's David Hale's first professional goal.
Nice call.

10-24-2004, 11:17 PM
Devils Unseen Hand

Quote:
2 enforcers are enough to keep the place in check. Almost every game Clouthier, Skrlac and Janssen have been in the lineup when one of Parise, Khomutov, Foster or Suglobov had to sit. The record and goals for are not because we have goons in the lineup, its because we have scary core of forwards this year.
Yeah, the forwards are good because they're not afraid to play their game. They're relaxed knowing that their backs are covered should players take runs at them.

Now, do I want all 3 goons playing in each game...no. Only if they play a team that tried to pull some crap in a earlier game. Otherwise, play Skrlac & Janssen and let Schultz know that he's the back-up enforcer if things get ugly.

Old
10-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devils Repairman
Yeah, the forwards are good because they're not afraid to play their game. They're relaxed knowing that their backs are covered should players take runs at them.

Now, do I want all 3 goons playing in each game...no. Only if they play a team that tried to pull some crap in a earlier game. Otherwise, play Skrlac & Janssen and let Schultz know that he's the back-up enforcer if things get ugly.
Thats my point.....every game with that extra enforcer we had to leave out a star. It didn't hurt us in those games but it may in the future.

Old
10-24-2004, 11:31 PM
Defence first

vCash:
I am pumped, i know that it is just the beginning of the season but this gives us (rats fans) hope that good things come to those who wait! and i am sure there is more of you there that have waited alot longer then I. The whole team is playing good right now i hope they keep it up.
I agree with what someone else said about the 3 goons playing and sitting out the other stars; i think that the coaching staff is just sending the other teams in the AHL a message: no more walking over the rats this year! we will see if this holds up for the whole year becasue you can't fight everyone every game and the skilled/ grinder players need to play and contribute too or else they might run cold and "bad play".

Old
10-24-2004, 11:35 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Thats my point.....every game with that extra enforcer we had to leave out a star. It didn't hurt us in those games but it may in the future.
Maybe they want to set a tone for our opponents early in the season that the rats are a team not to mess with, hence giving the kids more freedom to do their thing. I think as the season progress and the three enforcers are beating in heads you will see one of them get benched in favor of a youngster, but for now, maybe play them all to draw the line and settle old scores.

Old
10-25-2004, 07:54 AM
JimEIV

voros!

Old
10-25-2004, 09:14 AM
tbr

Does anyone think that maybe they are short forwards, and need to dress all 3 of those guys to fill the lineup. Its too early in the season for guys not to take a night off if they are a little bit banged up. I don't see what the big deal is. It seems to be working. As for Clemmensen vs Ahonen. Ari must be hurt since they called up Kostur, and it looks as if Robbie wanted to get Clemmensen on track, as he was not great in his first two games. I'm sure they will both see an equal amount of playing time as the season wears on.

Old
10-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbr
Does anyone think that maybe they are short forwards, and need to dress all 3 of those guys to fill the lineup. Its too early in the season for guys not to take a night off if they are a little bit banged up. I don't see what the big deal is. It seems to be working. As for Clemmensen vs Ahonen. Ari must be hurt since they called up Kostur, and it looks as if Robbie wanted to get Clemmensen on track, as he was not great in his first two games. I'm sure they will both see an equal amount of playing time as the season wears on.
No they are not. They cut Tenute, Magowan, Johansson only played twice and they have yet to play Nittel. There is no roster limit for AHL teams.

Old
10-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
There are 4 rats that are a PPG or better.

Suglobov with 9 points in 5 games
Voros with 8 points in 6 games
Parise with 7 points in 5 games
Foster with 3 points in 3 games

Our defense's offensive numbers:

Redlihs with 4 points in 6 games
Schultz with 3 points in 6 games
Allen with 2 goals in 6 games
Hale with 3 points in 6 games
DeMarchi with 1 point in 6 games
Kesa with 0 points in 6 games

Top 5 +- through 6 games:

McAmmond = +5
Schultz = +5
Allen = +5
Voros = +4
Hale = +4
Murphy = +4
Rheaume = +4

Goaltending Stats through 6 games:

Ahonen - 2 wins, 0 losses, 1.50 GAA, .943 SV%
Clemmensen - 2 wins, 2 losses, 2.48 GAA, .904 SV%

Shots on goal leaders:

Suglobov - 21
Voros - 17
Parise - 17
Pihlman - 15
McAmmond - 14

PIM Leaders:

Janssen - 55 PIM
Voros - 36 PIM
Skrlac - 31 PIM
Clouthier - 29 PIM
Schultz - 22 PIM
It's nice to see the team off to such a good start....they are winning games, and winning them handly. Lots of goals, and the young guys seem to be playing extremely well. Hope to see them keep this up throughout the year!

Old
10-25-2004, 02:11 PM
tbr

Quote:
No they are not. They cut Tenute, Magowan, Johansson only played twice and they have yet to play Nittel. There is no roster limit for AHL teams.
I stand corrected there is no limit, bt you don't want to have too many healty bodies sitting around. Usually 2 forwards and one d. In Albanys case they have 2 extra d. When everyone is healthy it pays to have as few as possible extra guys . Johanson just joined the team, Nittel is injured, and as you said Tenute and Magowan were sent down.

Last edited by tbr: 10-25-2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old
10-25-2004, 08:53 PM
c-carp

Quote:
If you are winnning with a very tough lineup why mess with it.

Closed Thread