HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"I know where heís going even though I donít look."

Old
02-09-2012, 05:25 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Ultimate campaign. While his play has improved, this is him trying to dictate his linemate(s). Why does this bother me? It shouldn't.
I'm not so sure. The guy was asked a question and he answered it. Some of the things he has said when interviewed have raised eyebrows, but it's not like the guy goes out and finds the nearest reporter with an agenda. Just seems like an honest guy who doesn't hold anything back. Feels more comfortable on wing, so he says so. Likes playing with Pommers, so he says so.

I don't have any problem with that. Players who spit out rhetoric and clichťs when interviewed are fine and all, but they're rarely telling you what they're actually thinking, or are framing it in such a PC way that there's no point in interviewing them in the first place.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 06:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
It may make more sense to try and establish two scoring lines. I think Vanek/Ennis could be a deadly combo.
Agreed. Vanek/Pominville was lights out together, but the team wasn't winning games because if they didn't provide all the offense, no one else would. Establishing 2 lines that can score on a consistent basis will lead to more wins.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 06:40 PM
jakobkreuzfeld

i like the idea of keeping LRP - i don't think it would help to put leino back to the middle - where he struggled any given time.
also it seems, as if he finally find somekinde of comfort zone, which realy makes him an valuable asset to the team
I think Vanek and Ennis could work just fine! the high speed and trying to forechek each and every time to force giveaways could just match vaneks ability to score. given ennis performance since his return, i think any player should be able to profit from his play. how about putting either vanek or gerbe on RW to put up a line G-E-V

jakobkreuzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:50 PM
snoop244

Maybe its just me, but hasn't Leino been a horrible playmaker and passer? I realize that Pommers can make him better, but, in my opinion, certainly not good enough. I'm thinking his two connections with Pomminville last night were the first two good passes I've seen him make in recent memory. My fingers are crossed for him, but I want to see 4 or 5 games of solid, strong passing before I risk locking him in with Vanek and Pommers.

Leino seems to have really bad playmaking instincts. He sucks the momentum out of most rushes, passes when he should shoot, etc. I wouldn't wish that on our top line.

snoop244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:08 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
He is Ruff's ultimate system guy. Would love to see a guy like him on every line.
Agree. However, I think Ruff's "system" requires some one versatile like Poms on every line. And we don't have that. (Few teams do.)

Which is why I don't think Ruff's system (interchangable parts) is practical and why it has trouble executing. (And it explain in part, why Lindy is Mr. line change).

I hope JP is able to ratchet it down a bit and have more linemate consistancy.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop244 View Post
Maybe its just me, but hasn't Leino been a horrible playmaker and passer? I realize that Pommers can make him better, but, in my opinion, certainly not good enough. I'm thinking his two connections with Pomminville last night were the first two good passes I've seen him make in recent memory. My fingers are crossed for him, but I want to see 4 or 5 games of solid, strong passing before I risk locking him in with Vanek and Pommers.

Leino seems to have really bad playmaking instincts. He sucks the momentum out of most rushes, passes when he should shoot, etc. I wouldn't wish that on our top line.

It's just you. Even while he sucked for most of the season, his bread and butter was the occasional tape to tape with sauce. He really struggled with vision, so not know what to do with the puck made him look like he didn't have the ability to actually pass. But when he can pass, he's really good at it. Watch the last game and check out the touch he put on the puck to lead Pomminville into the zone onside to get the forecheck going that lead to the teams 5th goal.

Leino's ego might be bigger than his talent, but he certainly has some ability with the puck.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:13 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
I don't care if we have to take Vanek off of Pom's line if it means keeping Leino with Pominville. He may finally have found the right combination of comfort and talent to earn that contract.
Leino's definitely starting to look like he is having fun out there. He's dangling and making opponents look like fools.

Also had to chuckle at the ice spray on Thomas last night. It was like "who me? I did what? no way.... I never." Bruins were fit to tied. (Sorry know this is off topic.)

Old
02-09-2012, 08:16 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
From Bill Hoppe's twitter page

Have we finally found the right player for Leino to play with?
Yes.

Now for the million dollar question JJ.... that has been bugging me for 2 weeks....

Is that VanBoxmier (sp?) on your avatar? If so, what's the connection?

If not, plse illuminate.. thxs

Old
02-09-2012, 08:19 PM
snoop244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
It's just you. Even while he sucked for most of the season, his bread and butter was the occasional tape to tape with sauce. He really struggled with vision, so not know what to do with the puck made him look like he didn't have the ability to actually pass. But when he can pass, he's really good at it. Watch the last game and check out the touch he put on the puck to lead Pomminville into the zone onside to get the forecheck going that lead to the teams 5th goal.

Leino's ego might be bigger than his talent, but he certainly has some ability with the puck.
Okay, I'll have a closer look, but my observation until now is that his passes have zero authority. Maybe it is the fact that he wasn't seeing the plays well, but I still think his passing mechanics are all wrong and, outside of last night, hasn't made many good passes. I put his passing in the Afineganov and MAGs category. They short-stick the puck and end up sending knuckle-balls across the ice or, at the very least, passes that throw off the player's timing at the other end. I'm not a fan.

snoop244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:46 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop244 View Post
Okay, I'll have a closer look, but my observation until now is that his passes have zero authority. Maybe it is the fact that he wasn't seeing the plays well, but I still think his passing mechanics are all wrong and, outside of last night, hasn't made many good passes. I put his passing in the Afineganov and MAGs category. They short-stick the puck and end up sending knuckle-balls across the ice or, at the very least, passes that throw off the player's timing at the other end. I'm not a fan.
We are in the minority but I'm with you. His play overall, while significantly improved, has wreaked of nonchalance. With his passes, I think that is intentional. He likes the saucers, floaters, bouncers, etc., and doesn't often pass with authority. I cannot sit here and say he has the mechanics of a good passerr Not with What i have seen so far.

I'd have less of a problem of his game didn't suck all year.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Yes.

Now for the million dollar question JJ.... that has been bugging me for 2 weeks....

Is that VanBoxmier (sp?) on your avatar? If so, what's the connection?

If not, plse illuminate.. thxs
i thought it was darcy regier

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:14 PM
kirby11

Quote:
We are in the minority but I'm with you. His play overall, while significantly improved, has wreaked of nonchalance. With his passes, I think that is intentional. He likes the saucers, floaters, bouncers, etc., and doesn't often pass with authority. I cannot sit here and say he has the mechanics of a good passerr Not with What i have seen so far.

I'd have less of a problem of his game didn't suck all year.
Slightly OT, but is it just me or is this a problem with alot of the forwards? i remember watching some games over xmas break while in buffalo and it seemed like no one other than vanek and poms could actually make average to good passes with any regularity, and we turned the puck over a ton because of it.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:36 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Same
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Slightly OT, but is it just me or is this a problem with alot of the forwards? i remember watching some games over xmas break while in buffalo and it seemed like no one other than vanek and poms could actually make average to good passes with any regularity, and we turned the puck over a ton because of it.
poor decision making plagued the forwards most of the year. There's a difference, though, between not passing with authority (Leino, which I was speaking about) and "bad passing" (Roy, others, which you're alluding to). You can "pass it without authority" and still complete a pass - a good one occasionally, too. But they're much more of a miss than a hit.

But yeah, part of our lack of scoring was poor execution, of odd man rushes, on the PP... A lot of it because of poor passing in general. Too often they look to pass - poorly or properly - when they should be thinking "shoooooot"

Old
02-09-2012, 10:41 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Leino plays well with players who have above average offensive hockey sense.

Which is why he sucks with Roy and Stafford, or 4th liners.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Even though Vanek should be there, I wouldn't mind seeing Leino there for a bit, at least until they cool off. He's finally playing up to his contract, no need to shake his confidence. The team has been winning. Put Gerbe back with Gaustad and Kaleta and watch that line go. Then put Vanek with Ennis and Stafford, see if they can make something happen.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:30 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Same

poor decision making plagued the forwards most of the year. There's a difference, though, between not passing with authority (Leino, which I was speaking about) and "bad passing" (Roy, others, which you're alluding to). You can "pass it without authority" and still complete a pass - a good one occasionally, too. But they're much more of a miss than a hit.

But yeah, part of our lack of scoring was poor execution, of odd man rushes, on the PP... A lot of it because of poor passing in general. Too often they look to pass - poorly or properly - when they should be thinking "shoooooot"
yeah, i mostly meant i don't see that many "good passes" out of that many of our players on a routine basis. really only vanek, pominville, ennis, sometimes leino/roy. i really think stafford could use some work on that part of his game. and i also agree that they look to pass instead of taking good shots too often. I feel PAINED watching this team's 5 on 3. quick, everyone stand still and pass the puck around the umbrella for at least 30 seconds, and then take the obvious point shot that the defender at the top of the triangle is ready to block! Although the PP has looked a lot more dangerous with ennis back on it

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:42 AM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
That never crossed my mind....... but the face looks familiar now that you mention it.

Kinda........... creepy, ya know?

Old
02-10-2012, 12:53 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
yeah, i mostly meant i don't see that many "good passes" out of that many of our players on a routine basis. really only vanek, pominville, ennis, sometimes leino/roy. i really think stafford could use some work on that part of his game. and i also agree that they look to pass instead of taking good shots too often. I feel PAINED watching this team's 5 on 3. quick, everyone stand still and pass the puck around the umbrella for at least 30 seconds, and then take the obvious point shot that the defender at the top of the triangle is ready to block! Although the PP has looked a lot more dangerous with ennis back on it
The PP - speaking predominately when Gragnani led it - perpetually lacked any sense of urgency. They were lethargic getting into the zone, and did as you described if ever successfully gained the zone: stood still, made nonsense passes around the outside, and either shot into a defenders legs or tried that "one outta fifteen" pass that led to a clear by the other team.

Painful, indeed.

Old
02-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Luceni

I'd keep Leino - Roy - Pomineville togethee when Vanek returns.

Vanek abd Ennis showed last year that they have some kind of chemestry;

My lines would be:

Leino - Roy - Pominville
Vanek - Ennis - Boyes
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta
Adam - McCormick - Stafford

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:55 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I'd be silly to break them apart now, and hopefully this gets Leino truly going.

Unfortunately, it's all too little too late, but might get the some confidence for next season, New Jersey-style.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:52 AM
dma0034

Leino - Roy - Pominville
Vanek - Ennis - Boyes
Gerbe - Gaustad - Stafford
Adam - McCormick - Kaleta

This team is clicking right now so keep the lines as is with Vanek bumping Gerbe to the 3rd line. Ennis setting up Boyes and Vanek would do wonders.... especially to pad some of Boyes stats for when they trade him

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Jagemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Leino - Roy - Pominville
Vanek - Ennis - Boyes
Gerbe - Gaustad - Stafford
Adam - McCormick - Kaleta
Just send Adam down and bring someone else up. Stuart or some other 4th line plugger.

Adam isn't cutting it anymore and he is no 4th line player so send him down.

Jagemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:54 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
That never crossed my mind....... but the face looks familiar now that you mention it.

Kinda........... creepy, ya know?
It is Darcy and yes it's a creepy pic and yes that was intentional.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote