HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Please Help!!!!!!!

Old
12-13-2012, 01:34 AM
ford42

vCash: 500
Please Help!!!!!!!

I am athletic i am a very good football, track and basketball athlete. And when it comes to hockey i can skate around with no problem at all, but right now the snow is a good friend. I've been playing pond hockey for about a year. Therefore i would say that im a begineer, as far as skateing goes... I have a lot of trouble doing common swift,fast hockey stop. I'am 6'3" 230 and i have size 9.5 feet( US shoe size), i THINK what is happening, when i got the skates sharpened they made the groove to deep or in different terms the "U" in the blade is to deep. So, when i try to stop the blade digs in to hard.(Could that be possible?) Also, do to my weight and shoe size, i THINK theres more pressure being put on a small blade and it makes it hard to stop.(is that possible?).. what can i do? I know this may sound dumb but please help if you can.

If this helps i have really cheap CCM Vector 3.0's, i dont think thats it cause i see people stop i cheap skates all the time.

ford42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:39 AM
Danglous

Quoted from http://www.purehockey.com/guidance-i...ate-sharpening
Quote:
Skate Sharpening – What Is Happening Here?
- A skate is sharpened by grinding (or cutting) a concave semi – circle into each skate blade. This semi – circle is called the “hollow.” The hollow creates your edges both inside and out. The “hollow” is created by a diamond tipped dresser on our skate sharpening machine. The hollow can be created in a wide variety of depths anywhere from 2” to ”. Each depth will have a different feel when you are on the ice. Our most common hollows are: Goalies: 1 ” (shallower), Figure Skaters: 1” and Players: (deeper).”

The smaller the number, the deeper the hollow will be; the larger the number, the shallower the hollow will be.

A deeper hollow will give you more “grip” on the ice, thus your skate blade will “feel” sharper. Advantages: Edges will “bite” more in turns, giving more control to hold the edge(s). Disadvantages: Could cause you to lose speed due to the fact the blade is digging into the ice surface more.

A shallower hollow will still have “grip” - but less than that of a deeper hollow. Thus having the feeling of not being as sharp. Advantages: a smoother gliding feeling due to less drag. Easier stops and starts. Disadvantages: Less “bite” in turns. Edges may feel like they are sliding out from under you.

Choosing a hollow is going to depend mostly on your personal preference.

Some other factors to consider when choosing a hollow is the weather at the current time of year. Why does the weather outside have anything to do with skate sharpening, you ask? Well, skaters should sharpen their skates based on ice conditions, so keep in mind the softer the ice surface, the deeper your hollow will feel and vice versa.

How often you sharpen your skates is also going to be a matter of personal preference. Some players will sharpen their skates every time they skate. Check your skates for any nicks, stripped or “rolled” edges after you skate. If there are any you may want to get your skates sharpened if that is the case.
Also, heavier guys usually use a more shallow hollow. Once you get better at skating you may want to try a deeper cut.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:59 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford42 View Post
I am athletic i am a very good football, track and basketball athlete. And when it comes to hockey i can skate around with no problem at all, but right now the snow is a good friend. I've been playing pond hockey for about a year. Therefore i would say that im a begineer, as far as skateing goes... I have a lot of trouble doing common swift,fast hockey stop. I'am 6'3" 230 and i have size 9.5 feet( US shoe size), i THINK what is happening, when i got the skates sharpened they made the groove to deep or in different terms the "U" in the blade is to deep. So, when i try to stop the blade digs in to hard.(Could that be possible?) Also, do to my weight and shoe size, i THINK theres more pressure being put on a small blade and it makes it hard to stop.(is that possible?).. what can i do? I know this may sound dumb but please help if you can.

If this helps i have really cheap CCM Vector 3.0's, i dont think thats it cause i see people stop i cheap skates all the time.
What is happening when you try to stop? Are you tumbling forward, moving in a circle. slipping on your heel?

I'll try to give a simple tip I give to youngsters learning to stop.

When you stop, try to cut 1" into (deep, like you are taking off a layer) the ice, for 12" in length.
Keep trying over and over. Your quads should burn.

jw2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:00 PM
ford42

I have done both, i have done the circle and the fall straight forward... Correct me if im wrong but if im falling foward does that just mean i need a better angle when stopping(more of a lean)?

Old
12-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Renbarg

You're a big dude. Next time you sharpen your skates, ask for a 3/4 cut and see how that goes.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:08 AM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford42 View Post
I have done both, i have done the circle and the fall straight forward... Correct me if im wrong but if im falling foward does that just mean i need a better angle when stopping(more of a lean)?
Most likely, this results from not being strong enough on your skates. Make sure you get a nice knee bend throughout, and really dig into the ice.

jw2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:13 PM
ford42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Most likely, this results from not being strong enough on your skates. Make sure you get a nice knee bend throughout, and really dig into the ice.

yea, you're probably right. ill give it a try... Some of our ponds opened today and im going to go pick up some supream 6's and get a shallow cut!

Thanks everyone,
Adam

Old
12-27-2012, 09:48 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

It sounds like you are just experiencing what everyone does when first learning to stop. Many people simply dig in too hard b/c when you look at some who can stop on a dime it looks like they are really digging in, but they are not digging in as far as you think. Digging in too hard is what makes you fall forwards. The other side of the coin is when you kind of get nervous and you don't fully commit and that is what makes you do the circle.

I remember how discouraging it was when I first started skating and I could not stop. I thought I might never get it, but I did and now it is second nature. I do not have to think about it at all. I've said this before on this board but you just have to keep working at it and you'll have that "aha" moment where it just kind of happens. You'll get the feel down and once that happens you can start practicing it.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
You're a big dude. Next time you sharpen your skates, ask for a 3/4 cut and see how that goes.
+1

I'm in that body size range and with size 11 skates I can't use a normal 3/8" hollow without dulling the heck out of them (on a piece of hardwood). I just bite too much into the ice, which does not get any stronger just because you are bigger.

The OP also has smaller skates so likely less blade on the ice exacerbating the bite problem even further as the same forces will dig you deeper.

I know guys my size can use more hollow (smaller radius) than I do, but they are generally better skaters with better edge control (ability to not dig deeper into the ice except when they really need it, etc) so you can probably move to sharper skates or more hollow as you improve.

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:27 PM
reecardo

Can you glide on one foot? Similar size/weight here, and when I first learned to hockey stop, I was taught to load my weight on my left knee, pickup my right foot up and turn the heel out at the hip. Keep the skate/blade perpendicular to the ice, and set it down in front of me with very little weight on it. The more weight you put on it, the faster you stop. Eventually you will turn the hips out instead of just the one leg, and stop with two feet, but getting the sensation of the gliding stop first helped me a lot.

reecardo is offline   Reply With Quote