HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricanes@Avs/ Feb.10th 7MT

Old
02-11-2012, 03:45 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkmtv com View Post
I'm sorry but I just don't see it in Barrie...what has this kid done that's significant enough to keep Wilson out of the line-up?
Well the fact is that Avs have won every single game where Barrie has played. Sure, again, it is exactly two games, but if that keeps Avs winning the games, then I really don't think they should jinx it.. like I just did

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

vCash: 50
what a way for RoR to finish the game. Amazing

Landeskog The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:47 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
Well the fact is that Avs have won every single game where Barrie has played. Sure, again, it is exactly two games, but if that keeps Avs winning the games, then I really don't think they should jinx it.. like I just did
this sounds like the Joe Sacco school of thought, we also have yet to either fail to score a goal on a PP or give up a PP goal since the callup, that has very little to do with Barrie

that said, we wouldn't be doing anything for barrie's development by giving him the hunwick treatment, and giving him some NHL time would be good for him. SOB has been terrible and Hejda has a brain fart at least 6 times a game, so sitting one of them instead of wilson would make sense

falconski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkmtv com View Post
I'm sorry but I just don't see it in Barrie...what has this kid done that's significant enough to keep Wilson out of the line-up?
I think Barrie was solid again (with small small rookie-mistakes).
But the way that Wilson played before he was scratched I would say that Barrie doesn't fail a comparison.
Barrie is not a similar offensive threat than Elliott for sure, but his defensive game has been as good as SOB's or Wilson's so I don't see how he can't be in the line-up, also knowing that he has a bigger offensive upside than those guys.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:25 AM
avsfan9

lately, listening to the media types talking about rookie of the year, they never mention landeskog, which is a shame. this kid is an amazing hockey player, and is more valuble to his team than any other rookie in this years rookie class. watching him lately, i've took notice of his stick handling skills, he has sick hands and he is starting to make a lot of very smart plays in the offensive zone, not just shooting from every where like he first did when he came in to the league. he may not put up as many points as rnh but i think he will be a better player in the long run. offense is not everything. i would take toews on my team any day before i would take kovalchuk. landeskog should be the front runner for roty.

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan9 View Post
lately, listening to the media types talking about rookie of the year, they never mention landeskog, which is a shame. this kid is an amazing hockey player, and is more valuble to his team than any other rookie in this years rookie class. watching him lately, i've took notice of his stick handling skills, he has sick hands and he is starting to make a lot of very smart plays in the offensive zone, not just shooting from every where like he first did when he came in to the league. he may not put up as many points as rnh but i think he will be a better player in the long run. offense is not everything. i would take toews on my team any day before i would take kovalchuk. landeskog should be the front runner for roty.
Who cares? We know how good he is and that's enough for me and I believe for the most of the other posters around here.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Adama0905

I'm quite surprised that Landy still isn't getting any mention for ROTY. Of course, not in a million years would I actually expect him to win it with the system being the way it is, but he's generally not even getting mention. Which is weird, seeing as he's now no. 6 in scoring among rookies (only six points behind 1) and is far better in the physical and defensive game than the rest of the field.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:43 AM
foppagirl21

The Carolina feed mentioned him before the game with a few of the other rookies. It could have also had something to do with the fact the 'Canes were playing the Avs that night... but still. And if he isn't mentioned league-wide as a candidate, well too darn bad. We know how awesome he is, and so do the players.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Foppa

People on HFBoards would probably be way more hyped for Landeskog if he was tearing up the OHL at 2 points per game.

General rule of thumb is better to be at 120 points in juniors and competing for the coveted #1 prospect spot than to be a terrific 40 point NHL player competing for the Calder at the same age.

Now that I think about it, how comical would it be to watch a team full of junior players trying to play against Landeskog at this point?

Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

O'Reilly is so humble it's almost Masochistic in nature.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:35 AM
marioni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
I'm quite surprised that Landy still isn't getting any mention for ROTY. Of course, not in a million years would I actually expect him to win it with the system being the way it is, but he's generally not even getting mention. Which is weird, seeing as he's now no. 6 in scoring among rookies (only six points behind 1) and is far better in the physical and defensive game than the rest of the field.
They're probably not even watching the games, only the highlights. If they were, they'd notice everything Landeskog does and he'd get some recognition he deserves.

P.S. What a poetic finish to the game that was!

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:55 AM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Are you warming up to the Landeskog pick yet? It's still early and anything can happen but he looks great so far. I remember you and Avsboy being completely against drafting Landeskog 2nd overall.
I hate being grouped with Avsboy. And I was done whining about the pick the day after the draft. Landy is an Av now, so he's my guy. Landeskog has impressed me with his defense and smarts. I didn't think they'd translate so quickly, so I guess I'm warming up. I still probably would have picked someone else. But Landeskog was a good pick, better than I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Do you know of any good articles/analyses on the evolution of player's shot percentages through their careers?

I don't know much about it, except what I can look up and infer.

Milan Hejduk, for example, scored 14 goals and shot just under 8% as a rookie, and went as high as 20% with Forsberg feeding him puck in 03, averaging 14% on his career.

Not a lot of examples of contemporary rookie forwards shooting less than 10% who scored 10+ goals, which makes comparisons hard...

Eric Staal's on that list though, going from a 6.7% shooter to a 16.1% shooter and 11 to 45 goals. That'd be on the extreme end of things, probably.

Kessel, Seguin, Richards... and hey, Daniel Winnik. And the incomparable Jim Slater.
Those are outliers, atypical performers. On average it looks like this: http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2010/...centage-vs-age

If anyone can improve their shot, it's a guy like landy. He's below average now in terms of shooting percentage so there's plenty of room to improve. And he's a really hard worker. I'm just saying it would be atypical. And that until he does, I'm not sure he's a star, which was my concern all along. Not trying to be a downer, I just don't see anyone else saying realistic things about his future. Plenty of people call out Duchene or Stastny on their flaws...

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:03 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
I hate being grouped with Avsboy. And I was done whining about the pick the day after the draft. Landy is an Av now, so he's my guy. Landeskog has impressed me with his defense and smarts. I didn't think they'd translate so quickly, so I guess I'm warming up. I still probably would have picked someone else. But Landeskog was a good pick, better than I thought.

Those are outliers, atypical performers. On average it looks like this: http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2010/...centage-vs-age

If anyone can improve their shot, it's a guy like landy. He's below average now in terms of shooting percentage so there's plenty of room to improve. And he's a really hard worker. I'm just saying it would be atypical. And that until he does, I'm not sure he's a star, which was my concern all along. Not trying to be a downer, I just don't see anyone else saying realistic things about his future. Plenty of people call out Duchene or Stastny on their flaws...
Landeskog will most likely never be more than a 60-65 point guy. That's not a star, but if you factor everything else in he could be easily the most important guy on the team. See Toews, Jonathan (Hopefully Landy is less of a whiny ******* though)...Though Toews has pushed it to near ppg.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 2968
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Landeskog will most likely never be more than a 60-65 point guy. That's not a star, but if you factor everything else in he could be easily the most important guy on the team. See Toews, Jonathan (Hopefully Landy is less of a whiny ******* though)...Though Toews has pushed it to near ppg.
I see Lando as a Wendel Clark type of player, Clark was a beast back then . Sadly for him he had all those injuries that stop him to put up better numbers.

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
If there is one thing I have learned is that players who have that special drive to become as good as they possibly can will exceed expectations. Until this year I thought O'Reilly had a ceiling as a 50 point center with Selke quality defense. I think Landeskog has that kind of drive. As does Toews, Crosby and Sedins. They identify what they don't do well and work relentlessly on it until they improve.

Meanwhile guys with all the talent in the world but no drive to go with it won't amount to much (Wolski, O'Sullivan, Filatov, Zherdev).

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:52 PM
blueowl2
Caniac

that slapper was a beauty, i dont think anyone had a doubt in the world that that wasnt going in. loved the game, now hopefully we can beat the blues

blueowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Muzza

Agree with the puzzlement of Landeskog being left out of Calder discussion. For a rookie especially, some of his statistics are very impressive:

12th amongst all NHL forward in hits
16th amongst all NHLers in takewaways
+15 on a team when no other forward that's been with the team all year is even positive

Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 04:08 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
Agree with the puzzlement of Landeskog being left out of Calder discussion. For a rookie especially, some of his statistics are very impressive:

+15 on a team when no other forward that's been with the team all year is even positive
he also plays in all situations and doesn't look out of place

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:42 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post

Its not a shock that he is being left out, all the Calder is which rookie scores the most points. They don't care if they can't play defense, can't kill a penalty, can only play in 5 on 5 situations or PPs.

Now if Landeskog can get himself into the top 3 in rookie scoring and can finish the year at +20 or better then he better start getting some recognition or the whole thing will be even more of a joke than it already is.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Landeskog

First 19 games in the NHL :

19GP 5G 3A 8PTS
(0.42PPG)

Since then :

37GP 8G 13A 21PTS
(0.57PPG)

He has 15 of his 29 points on the road, so it's basically 50/50...it just doesn't matter where he's playing. [In comparison, RNH has 10 of his 35 points on the road]

It's also kind of obvious in what he's now able to do on the ice VS what he felt confident doing at the start of the season. In my opinion, that's just going to keep improving.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:51 PM
PeterTheGreat

I wouldnt be so quick to label Lando as a 60-65 point player. He's just scratching the surface of his offensive ability. With how smart he is, how adept he is at stealing pucks and winning battles in the offensive zone, and with how hard he goes to the net I could see him being close to a PPG player.

He's got a drive to improve that is rarely seen in players. At 19 he's already overpowering a lot of NHL players. What will he be like at 24-25? Thats a scary thought.

You can see he's becoming more and more comfortable with making plays out there. He's now seeing what works and what doesn't. I think he's got more offensive ability in him that we havent seen yet because he was (and still is probably) afraid to try those things in the NHL.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Avalanche
@imlouied

I love this video so much.

Just watching the crowd reaction gives me goosebumps

Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote