HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Brass Turned the Corner?

Old
02-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 857
Has Brass Turned the Corner?

Derrick Brassard has been the best player on the ice for the Jackets since the firing of the coach. Has he turned the corner? Is he a piece of the foundation? Or is this just a mirage? The way he is playing now, I don't trade him, I keep him and build with him. Your thoughts?

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:54 PM
CBJCougar

vCash: 500
My first thought is that the title needs edited. It currently asks if our bra situation has turned the corner.

And to answer your question, I hope so.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
My first thought is that the title needs edited. It currently asks if our bra situation has turned the corner.

You always wanted a chick thread!

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:57 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
You always wanted a chick thread!
No, I want a naked man in the post game interview thread. Pay attention Robert!! LOL

Old
02-09-2012, 08:57 PM
davidbklyn

Quote:

yes- corners and bras don't mix.

He sure looked good again tonight. Too soon to tell, but I liked that he fought a few games ago, as well.

davidbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
My first thought is that the title needs edited.
Done.

Quote:
No, I want a naked man in the post game interview thread. Pay attention Robert!! LOL
No babe threads.

On-topic:
I posted in some other thread that there isn't a player about whom my opinion has gone as back and forth as Brassard. I just plain don't know.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Trade him while his value is decent, he won't get any better than he is right now.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:07 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

I think so. But I still think we trade him unfortunately

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 09:07 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
yes- corners and bras don't mix.

He sure looked good again tonight. Too soon to tell, but I liked that he fought a few games ago, as well.
He has, David. Not sure what to think about Brass. I see the incredible chemistry on ice. I wonder, was his poor performance just pouting over the attention Carter was getting?? It sure straightened out once he was put back on the line with Nash. If so, I understand it, but...

And to be honest, I think that has to have played a part because his performance this year has been so bad. He didn't forget how to play, ya know?

Whatever it is, I hope it's over and we can get back to being a team again. Winning forgives a multitude of sins.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Trade him while his value is decent, he won't get any better than he is right now.
He's young TW, and working hard... The future CBJ need young guys as him in the system...

Well, do whatever you guys want but if I'm GM I'd keep Brass around to see how he does with a new roster... (assuming we have a new roster).

Old
02-09-2012, 09:44 PM
blahblah

Ask again in about 82 games.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:29 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
This, we must use his value. And I dont think he is a player around who we should build our team (Carter too not but he is better, more universal and we sacrified for him too much).

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Xoggz22

I posted this in another thread but I agree that Brass is playing some of his best hockey. However, I am concerned that the fact Carter and Nash have finally been separated and with Carter back in the lineup, other teams have decisions to make on who to key on. Carter and Nash are great talents and when playing together are easier to play against and less effective. Brass is good enough to be in the top 6 but I don't know that he's ready to be a guy that elevates a team.

Move Carter and we may find Brass regresses because all the pressure is on him again. Johansen isn't ready to be a top 6 center yet and take on the pressure of other teams best players.

So, Brass is playing very good hockey right now but I'm concerned/wondering that it has more to do with Carter being back. Granted Brass was definitely better one Richards was moved into the Coaching position.

Just something to think about if we move Carter

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:28 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Ask again in about 82 games.
There's the hard part. If you do that, everyone else will also have established his value or lack thereof in trade.

The reality is, unless he's added to a bigger deal, Brass probably doesn't return much on his own and Carter is almost certainly gone. So, it may be that he stays simply because trading him is a bigger risk than keeping him and having his trade value diminish marginally.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:44 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

You want to talk about flaky performances and the epitome of Jackets Hockey, look no further than #16.

He's never responded well to coaching, thats what I see. In fact, his best times as a jacket have come at the beginning of a his first season and the times after coaches were fired.

Brass points to everything that is wrong with this organization, the only defense I can make for him is that at least he was given more time to develop than most of the other first rounders, of course, that could just be because he was injured right at the start of his junior year after the draft.

This is a situation where you should be glad he's picked it up, might be able to fetch something half way decent for him because this organization can't afford to go into another season with another new coach if Brass is just going to decide he doesn't have to compete again.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:15 AM
EspenK

it appears that he is turning the corner but the corner is long and it will take continued performance like the last 20 games or so to say for sure. I hope he does.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

It's all about consistency with this guy. He's close to a point in his career where he should be rounding out. He has shown that there is still more and is competing hard every shift. That is the factor with Brassard. I think he can be a 60+ pt center and I also think he is close to becoming that. The guy knows how to handle the puck, plain and simple. He is probably one of the best at it on the team. He also knows how to gain the zone on rushes, thats something not many players do well on this team. We need to see Johansen play center. I'll even admit that going into next season with Brassard and Johansen as the top centers, is a recipe for a disaster. Unless Carter brings back Stastny...we need Johansen to develop into a number 2 by the end of the year. Brass is capable of playing top line with Nash but we need an 2nd line to balance it out. Yakupov will obviously help out Brass a lot along with creating space for Nash. So yes, its imperative to keep Brassard IF we are trading Carter. Even so, I'm skeptical about Howson trusting Vermette being a top 6 center. He's playing better but if he has proved anything in Columbus, its him not being a top 6 center.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:24 AM
blahblah

Thus far this is his only month in which is on a > 40 point pace and it's 5 games into the month. He's had hot streaks before. I didn't want to trade him only because when almost everyone else was playing uninspired hockey in mid December to Mid January, he was still working.

This is the first sub 25 minute prod month thus far, but we are also 4 games into the month. His previous best this year was around 29 minutes. The 26 minute PROD last year was ok for a second line player. His continuing to rack up large minus numbers (even when he is playing well) isn't.

He has a long way to go before he can claim turning a corner. He's a hot player right now, what happens when he cools down and starts looking for excuses at to why he isn't performing? Brassard hold Brassard back, if he can defeat whatever inner demons he has he can be a top six forward in this league. Maybe even a top line one.

Post All-Star break he is winning 32% of his faceoffs in 5 games, 42% is January. Simply put that has to be better.

To say this guys has anything resembling a well rounded game would be a very inaccurate statement. He has to improve a lot, this isn't the type of player you make the playoffs with, never mind win a Cup.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:00 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

A concern I have with Brassard is his inability to play at a higher weight and his resultant weakness on the puck. I've read questions raised about potential draftees because they are under 200 lbs, but they are kids and may develop further physically. Brass is no longer a kid. According to the Dispatch, Brass came to camp at 200 and completely lost his quickness, which is a large component of his game. Not until he lost that weight (muscle?) did he regain effectiveness. Along with that, though, he still seems to lose most puck battles and is easily knocked off the puck. He is also mostly shaky on defense and in the face off circle (though he did win a key one, late in last night's game). I wonder how much of that is his lack of bulk and strength? There is no question that he's been making the effort to play a more well-rounded game and he tries to be physically engaged, but I'm just not sure if he can remain successful without being stronger. So, can he put on muscle and retain his quickness?

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
A concern I have with Brassard is his inability to play at a higher weight and his resultant weakness on the puck. I've read questions raised about potential draftees because they are under 200 lbs, but they are kids and may develop further physically. Brass is no longer a kid. According to the Dispatch, Brass came to camp at 200 and completely lost his quickness, which is a large component of his game. Not until he lost that weight (muscle?) did he regain effectiveness. Along with that, though, he still seems to lose most puck battles and is easily knocked off the puck. He is also mostly shaky on defense and in the face off circle (though he did win a key one, late in last night's game). I wonder how much of that is his lack of bulk and strength? There is no question that he's been making the effort to play a more well-rounded game and he tries to be physically engaged, but I'm just not sure if he can remain successful without being stronger. So, can he put on muscle and retain his quickness?
Good point Pete, the only input I have that might be of value is, the NHL has small players that play big. Little Nathan Gerbe and Tyler Ennis are examples, I don't know anything about muscle/weight/strength/quickness ratios but I would guess successful players find a balance that works to succeed in the NHL. I remember similar discussion about Voracek when he tried to bulk up several years ago.

As Blah said Brassards faceoff skill is an issue and consistency as well, he needs to get better. He is a veteran now with 247 NHL games but I think he's still learning the game, if he's not traded I'm hoping we see a complete Brassard next season with a new and improved roster..

Old
02-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Nordique

He's at least no longer a liability on the ice. He has his moments, like on Nash's goal last night, where he looks very confident with the puck. I still don't like his contract, and I'm not against a trade if it makes sense, but we at least appear to have a fair top 6/PP guy in him.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:59 AM
650X2

Brassard has all been a favorite player of mine and i really domt want to see him traded. He was told to show up this year with more weight and he did that.. it obviosuly didnt work for him and was benched because of it. Now he is healthy and thr weight is off and he is playing lile he was when he was a rookie.

Turned the corner no..just got straight again finally

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I really can't say that Brassard has turned the corner because he's shown that in order to get anything out of him he seems to have to have a certain type of coaching, and he isn't the type that can play with just anyone. He pretty much needs Nash on his line to score any points. I will say that he is probably the 3rd or 4th best player at carrying the puck into the zone, he is very good at gaining the zone this year with actual puck possession and not have to rely on dump and chase.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:24 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I really can't say that Brassard has turned the corner because he's shown that in order to get anything out of him he seems to have to have a certain type of coaching, and he isn't the type that can play with just anyone.
Yes. Agree totally. What happens when we don't get a coach he, specifically, can respond to and he falls off the end of the bench again for 18 games straight (or whatever it was)

Dare I say it, the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise in terms of development of Brass was Boucher telling the Jackets "No thanks"....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I am very hesitant to say that Brassard's improved play isn't simply a product of him being back with Nash.

I think Brassard is a 35-45 point player by himself and a 45-55 point player with Nash. In reality, we need a center who is a 55-65 point player by himself and a 65-80 point player with Nash.

Has he shown quickness and better passing? Yes, but that doesn't always result in a better game. Brassard has had periods in the past where he's picked it up only to cool off again.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote