HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Steve Ott

Old
02-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Bennrocks

vCash: 500
Steve Ott

If ott were to become available from dallas what would he be worth to teams around the league

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:44 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
29 years old, 2 years remaining on contract, $2.95 million cap hit, $3.2 million salary next 2 seasons, NTC

Pro: Agitation, Faceoffs

Negative: Agitation, Penalties, Offense

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
29 years old, 2 years remaining on contract, $2.95 million cap hit, $3.2 million salary next 2 seasons, NTC

Pro: Agitation, Faceoffs

Negative: Agitation, Penalties, Offense
pretty decent offense for a 3rd liner. its a tough cap hit to swallow for a player like him, but I could definitely see some teams interested.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:51 PM
BigG44

For a fan, the irritainment TM Razor is typically fairly entertaining.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:52 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
pretty decent offense for a 3rd liner. its a tough cap hit to swallow for a player like him, but I could definitely see some teams interested.
He's not a 3rd liner in Dallas .... hence the negative. I like the guy, but they're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole in Dallas' Top 6. He's played the entire year with either Jamie Benn or Mike Ribeiro as his center. Considering that important fact, it's not decent offense.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:00 PM
BigG44

Oh btw .... one of the local ESPN writers tried to make some points today about trading Ott which is why I assume this thread popped up.

The guys points seemed solid, but I would be surprised to see Dallas move him. He is their go to guy for faceoffs, and if they ever stopped forcing him in the Top 6 he'd probably be a perfect fit for the 3rd line.

Here is the story: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nhl/story/...ng-term-winner

Old
02-09-2012, 02:10 PM
tututooter21

2nd rounder from the Canucks, although I doubt we have the cap space, so maybe and 4th + Raymond

tututooter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Oh btw .... one of the local ESPN writers tried to make some points today about trading Ott which is why I assume this thread popped up.

The guys points seemed solid, but I would be surprised to see Dallas move him. He is their go to guy for faceoffs, and if they ever stopped forcing him in the Top 6 he'd probably be a perfect fit for the 3rd line.

Here is the story: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nhl/story/...ng-term-winner
Hey Big G - how is sawada doing this year and do you expect him to be in the organization moving forward?

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:34 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Hey Big G - how is sawada doing this year and do you expect him to be in the organization moving forward?
He's hurt right now, and I think this is his last year with the team.

He is not close to making a jump to the NHL with Sceviour being similar player, younger and seemingly ahead of him on the depth chart.

Even with Sceviour possibly making the jump to the NHL next year, Dallas will have several key prospects going pro next year. Plus, they are going to be very close to the roster limit next year.

When you consider Lukowich will probably remain as a vet for Texas, Sawada is probably competing with Garbutt to stay with the team. Garbutt is now playing on the top line, and he is playing very well. My money is on Garbutt staying with Texas over Sawada.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
He's hurt right now, and I think this is his last year with the team.

He is not close to making a jump to the NHL with Sceviour being similar player, younger and seemingly ahead of him on the depth chart.

Even with Sceviour possibly making the jump to the NHL next year, Dallas will have several key prospects going pro next year. Plus, they are going to be very close to the roster limit next year.

When you consider Lukowich will probably remain as a vet for Texas, Sawada is probably competing with Garbutt to stay with the team. Garbutt is now playing on the top line, and he is playing very well. My money is on Garbutt staying with Texas over Sawada.
thanks. pretty good summary

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:05 PM
toquerasta

Seems like a Burke type player and hes someone I wanted a couple years ago before he resigned but I'm not sure how the Leafs would make room for him anymore.

toquerasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Mike Gillis said he's looking for more 'balance'. Most fans seem to believe that means more toughness.

Raymond would be the likely candidate to go the other way. Raymond is probably a better fit in Dallas' top 6 and they could use his speed.

If that wouldn't work, it would have to be picks and prospects. While moving Raymond elsewhere for cap purposes.

The bonus with Raymond is he's an upcoming RFA that won't have big offensive totals to negotiate with. Likely gets re-signed for 2-3 years under $2.5mil moving forward. Could be a steal in the right situation.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Ho Borvat

Is Burish a good "cheap replacement" for Ott? Not saying skill wise, or what he brings in ability but in terms of "bottom 6 agitator"?

I would be willing to move Raymond for him. I would also add a conditional pick based on Raymond re-signing.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Mike Gillis said he's looking for more 'balance'. Most fans seem to believe that means more toughness.

Raymond would be the likely candidate to go the other way. Raymond is probably a better fit in Dallas' top 6 and they could use his speed.

If that wouldn't work, it would have to be picks and prospects. While moving Raymond elsewhere for cap purposes.

The bonus with Raymond is he's an upcoming RFA that won't have big offensive totals to negotiate with. Likely gets re-signed for 2-3 years under $2.5mil moving forward. Could be a steal in the right situation.
Definitely agree about the "balance" part. Theres a reason why MG has passed on Orr, etc on waivers.

Ott can actually contribute decently for a 3rd liner, play top 6 if needed/injuries.

Old
02-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdan85 View Post
Is Burish a good "cheap replacement" for Ott? Not saying skill wise, or what he brings in ability but in terms of "bottom 6 agitator"?

I would be willing to move Raymond for him. I would also add a conditional pick based on Raymond re-signing.
Burish is solid at what he does, but he isnt much more than a 4th liner that can kill penalties and piss people off

Old
02-09-2012, 03:24 PM
arsmaster

Ott would be awesome on the Canucks...I love being hated.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdan85 View Post
Definitely agree about the "balance" part. Theres a reason why MG has passed on Orr, etc on waivers.

Ott can actually contribute decently for a 3rd liner, play top 6 if needed/injuries.
Not only that but his faceoff prowess would be a huge bonus playing alongside Hodgson, a rookie struggling to win draws. Ott could take the majority of the faceoffs and move back over to wing during the play. Get Hansen back playing his usual physical, abrasive style and you've got all the makings of a prototypical energy 3rd line - one that can chip in offense as well.

Ott would be a much better fit than Raymond on the 3rd line IMO. If Ott is made available I think Gillis goes after him pretty hard...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

What would Dallas want from the Habs ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Baxter View Post
What would Dallas want from the Habs ?
Young high potential forward prospects/draft picks/

Old
02-09-2012, 03:31 PM
BigG44

I like the idea of Raymond and a 4th, but I just don't get the feeling GM Joe would move him.

Old
02-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
Young high potential forward prospects/draft picks/
Kristo ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Baxter View Post
Kristo ?
not enough imo, As much as he is hated ott is probably one of the best 3rd liners in the league between the offense he provides his faceoff ability and his ability to piss people off

Old
02-09-2012, 03:44 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
The difference in salary between Ott and Burish probably fairly accurately mirrors how beneficial either would be to the Canucks. Ott is definitely more expensive but he's a legitimately great faceoff guy in addition to the other stuff. Burish is the only player I've ever seen get kicked out of the faceoff circle more often than Halpern. But yeah, if the general concept of "adding toughness" is the criteria Burish is a poor man's Ott.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
Burish is solid at what he does, but he isnt much more than a 4th liner that can kill penalties and piss people off
I was refering more to his agitating ability making it easier to move Ott since you can get that agitating component from Burish already.

Old
02-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Not only that but his faceoff prowess would be a huge bonus playing alongside Hodgson, a rookie struggling to win draws. Ott could take the majority of the faceoffs and move back over to wing during the play. Get Hansen back playing his usual physical, abrasive style and you've got all the makings of a prototypical energy 3rd line - one that can chip in offense as well.

Ott would be a much better fit than Raymond on the 3rd line IMO. If Ott is made available I think Gillis goes after him pretty hard...
This Stars fan can only hope you're right.