HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part III (post #217 - arena announcement 2/16)

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Brodie
voted best

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I think Seattle just jumped pretty far ahead of QC.
I think they just drew even, to be honest

Old
02-15-2012, 09:11 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I wouldn't put it at even just yet. Once the arena has been approved then I'll put it at even.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:12 PM
metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Cautiously optimistic for team that could go a long way to fixing alignment issues in the West.
That too, of course. The west is quite a mess. Ideally the Thrashers would have moved to Seattle but Phoenix would work. Either way the west will always be spread out.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Undertakerqc

Its a good step for Seattle, glad for you guys. I am a bit worry i will again be heartbroken as a Nords fan...

Old
02-15-2012, 09:17 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Its a good step for Seattle, glad for you guys. I am a bit worry i will again be heartbroken as a Nords fan...
There is still a possibility QC still gets phx. It really depends on what the league wants to do. Big Money now or big money later.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
The arena project hasn't even been agreed to by the city! So Québec is fully one year ahead of Seattle, with the shovels going in this summer.

Also, while Key Arena is a good enough BBall venue, there is still no decent temporary hockey home in Seattle.

There is no way (if the Coyotes move this summer) that Seattle can get the team if Gary Bettman has a shread of common sense.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
The arena project hasn't even been agreed to by the city! So Québec is fully one year ahead of Seattle, with the shovels going in this summer.

Also, while Key Arena is a good enough BBall venue, there is still no decent temporary hockey home in Seattle.

There is no way (if the Coyotes move this summer) that Seattle can get the team if Gary Bettman has a shread of common sense.
Bettman almost puked when he made the announcement of the return of the Jets. He will always choose USA over Canada if he has the chance.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:38 PM
razor ray

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...hansen16m.html

Old
02-15-2012, 09:40 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:

It is my contention that you don't hold a press conference unless you know you have the votes. Buisness people don't want public embarrassments.

Tacoma can hold the NHL until the new building is ready

Old
02-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
It is my contention that you don't hold a press conference unless you know you have the votes. Buisness people don't want public embarrassments.

....or he just want to put pressure in the city to fork the millions

Old
02-15-2012, 09:45 PM
TorontoSports

Quote:

seattle is a much bigger market that fills a natural void for travel in the NHL. I think it would make a lot of sense..

Old
02-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
No, Seattle will be WAY AHEAD of Quebec City as of tomorrow.

Old
02-15-2012, 10:16 PM
gstommylee

Quote:

The announcement is only that they are revealing the arena to the public and City Hall. How can they possibly know if they have the necessary yes votes or not if the City Council hasn't even been informed of the full details of the proposal.

Old
02-15-2012, 10:16 PM
razor ray

Washington has had a good jump in hockey enrollment:

State: Washington
1990-91: 2,389
2009-10: 7,615
Growth: 249.8%
Notes: To be honest, I had no idea this many people played hockey in Washington. It makes a lot of sense. However, Washington is mostly a Junior hockey state. With four WHL clubs, and the very popular Wenatchee Wild of the NAHL, there’s some great hockey entertainment spread throughout the state. Still, I was surprised to see such growth. Good on you, Washington.

Oregon, however has been aweful:

State: Oregon
1990-91: 738
2009-10: 804
Growth: 8.9%
Notes: So this one’s a bit of a dud, eh? Oregon’s top level of hockey comes via the WHL and the Portland Winterhawks. Still, the game hasn’t caught on as much in Oregon as it has across the country. I don’t know much more about the state of the game in Oregon above what the numbers show, but I was surprised to see such a lack of growth in comparison to the rest of the country. Any Oregonians want to take a stab at why this might be?

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2011...tes-1990-2010/

Old
02-15-2012, 10:20 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor ray View Post
Washington has had a good jump in hockey enrollment:

State: Washington
1990-91: 2,389
2009-10: 7,615
Growth: 249.8%
Notes: To be honest, I had no idea this many people played hockey in Washington. It makes a lot of sense. However, Washington is mostly a Junior hockey state. With four WHL clubs, and the very popular Wenatchee Wild of the NAHL, there’s some great hockey entertainment spread throughout the state. Still, I was surprised to see such growth. Good on you, Washington.

Oregon, however has been aweful:

State: Oregon
1990-91: 738
2009-10: 804
Growth: 8.9%
Notes: So this one’s a bit of a dud, eh? Oregon’s top level of hockey comes via the WHL and the Portland Winterhawks. Still, the game hasn’t caught on as much in Oregon as it has across the country. I don’t know much more about the state of the game in Oregon above what the numbers show, but I was surprised to see such a lack of growth in comparison to the rest of the country. Any Oregonians want to take a stab at why this might be?

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2011...tes-1990-2010/
Disappointing to say the least in Oregon, since Portland is actually not a bad hockey city, however, within the state boundaries, you only have 4 sheets of ice that are large enough for hockey. That's a lot to do with the lack of growth in Oregon.
2 in Metro Portland (in a way 3, but the 3rd is in Vancouver, WA), 1 in Eugene and 1 in Medford.
I don't live in Oregon, but I used to live right across for almost 5 years.

Old
02-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Soundgarden

What are the odds that both Seattle and Quebec get teams in the near future (maybe two or three years)?

Old
02-15-2012, 10:21 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
The announcement is only that they are revealing the arena to the public and City Hall. How can they possibly know if they have the necessary yes votes or not if the City Council hasn't even been informed of the full details of the proposal.

Do you honestly think that the city does not know the details? They've been working with hansen for quite sometime

Old
02-15-2012, 10:22 PM
beth

I'm so excited about this development! I'd be so happy to have the NHL in Seattle!

Old
02-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Hamilton Tigers

^^^

Beth, I hear you calling...

Old
02-15-2012, 10:29 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Do you honestly think that the city does not know the details? They've been working with hansen for quite sometime
They meaning Mayor Mcginn and his aids? Its been mention in Seattle times articles that the details of the proposal has yet to come out.

The council members were debriefed about the arena but not about how its exactly its going to get paid for.

Last edited by gstommylee: 02-15-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old
02-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Brodie
voted best

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
No, Seattle will be WAY AHEAD of Quebec City as of tomorrow.
meh, QC still has more defined ownership and a better temp venue

Old
02-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Bob1321

@JSportsnet Follow-up to the Seattle story, NHL source says they have had absolutely NO discussions with group proposing new arena in Wash St.

Old
02-15-2012, 10:43 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1321 View Post
@JSportsnet Follow-up to the Seattle story, NHL source says they have had absolutely NO discussions with group proposing new arena in Wash St.
I think discussions with the NHL will pick up once the arena plan has been taken care off. Hansen won't be the person owning the NHL team though so it makes sense if there weren't discussions with the league with this particular group.

Old
02-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Seattle Sasquatch

woohoo!!!

I wish I could head down there tomorrow.

I predict this thread will have like 5 pages of solid material when I get home.

Old
02-15-2012, 10:57 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
I think discussions with the NHL will pick up once the arena plan has been taken care off. Hansen won't be the person owning the NHL team though so it makes sense if there weren't discussions with the league with this particular group.
Don Levin, owner of the AHL Chicago Wolves, has expressed interest in owning an NHL team in Seattle.

For those interested, here is the piece of land where the new proposed stadium would go. What an amazing stadium district it will be if it does happen - does another city in NA have 3 stadiums that close to downtown and that close together?

Closed Thread