HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part III (post #217 - arena announcement 2/16)

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2012, 10:59 PM
gstommylee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
Don Levin, owner of the AHL Chicago Wolves, has expressed interest in owning an NHL team in Seattle.

For those interested, here is the piece of land where the new proposed stadium would go. What an amazing stadium district it will be if it does happen - does another city in NA have 3 stadiums that close to downtown and that close together?

Last i heard he wasn't specifically working with Hansen at the time but of course that could change once the arena actually happens. I think there is only 1 other City that has 3 stadiums that close and its Philly.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:02 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Last i heard he wasn't specifically working with Hansen at the time but of course that could change once the arena actually happens. I think there is only 1 other City that has 3 stadiums that close and its Philly.
True - Hansen's interest is the arena and the NBA so that would open the door for an owner of an NHL team only.

The only major hurdle for Seattle and the NHL has been an arena - sounds like that is about to be cleared. Someone will want to own a team in this market.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
I think there is only 1 other City that has 3 stadiums that close and its Philly.
But Philly's are away from downtown. This would be the first urban neighborhood with three major venues.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Hugh Mann*

How long would it take to build the arena? KeyArena clearly can't be used as a temporary venue, probably not even for one or part of one season.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:50 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
How long would it take to build the arena? KeyArena clearly can't be used as a temporary venue, probably not even for one or part of one season.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly was quoted by La Presse of Canada in late January as saying "Seattle, like Quebec, amphitheatres (have) to be built. Existing infrastructure - the Coliseum and the Key Arena, which served as home to the SuperSonics basketball club before being relocated to Oklahoma City, could serve as temporary solutions.”

However, Daly told KING5 this week, “We would have to look at it. We haven’t done that yet.”

Old
02-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Does Seattle have a hockey ownership group ready?

Old
02-15-2012, 11:55 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
I heard 2 years on the construction itself but how soon the permits can get acquired hard to say.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Hugh Mann*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly was quoted by La Presse of Canada in late January as saying "Seattle, like Quebec, amphitheatres (have) to be built. Existing infrastructure - the Coliseum and the Key Arena, which served as home to the SuperSonics basketball club before being relocated to Oklahoma City, could serve as temporary solutions.”

However, Daly told KING5 this week, “We would have to look at it. We haven’t done that yet.”
Quebec City has an arena that, while outdated, is basically NHL-ready and appropriately sized, particularly after having been renovated a few years ago. Seattle does not have a suitable temporary venue, as KeyArena's capacity in hockey configuration is only, according to Wikipedia, 10,500. That's not even close to suitable, even for a temporary venue.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:56 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Quebec City has an arena that, while outdated, is basically NHL-ready and appropriately sized, particularly after having been renovated a few years ago. Seattle does not have a suitable temporary venue, as KeyArena's capacity in hockey configuration is only, according to Wikipedia, 10,500. That's not even close to suitable, even for a temporary venue.
Didn't NHL allow other arenas that aren't close to suitable for temporary venue to be used?

Old
02-15-2012, 11:57 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Does Seattle have a hockey ownership group ready?
Don Levin, the owner of the Chicago Wolves, has been in lukewarm discussions.
I don't think this is critical as some are thinking though. If the NHL realizes the potential gold mine or at least the for sure improvement they have over Phoenix, in Seattle, they will move the team there and auction it off later or sell to Levin.
MLB did this with the Washington Nationals, even without a stadium, much less an ownership group and I would say they're glad they did what they did (even though I was an Expos fan).

Old
02-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Hugh Mann*

Yes, twenty or so years ago the Sharks played in the Cow Palace which was slightly larger, and other teams before then. But this isn't 1992, and I seriously doubt a comparably sized arena would be suitable today.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:59 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Little odd that a someone from the Lower Mainland, would rather see the Coyotes (seemingly) move to QC than Seattle, especially if you're a Canucks fan.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Carolina played in greensboro first few years where I think it was 12,000 or so capacity and it was pretty awful.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:08 AM
gstommylee

The only other choice for the team is Tacoma dome and that is way out dated. It doesn't even have luxury seats. Its not any better than the Key arena is though in terms of hockey. Only thing it provides is the necessary setting capacity.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:09 AM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Carolina played in greensboro first few years where I think it was 12,000 or so capacity and it was pretty awful.
The hockey interest around Seattle, is clearly more, than it was in North Carolina back when the Hurricanes first came there.
If push really comes to shove, the NHL can always use the Tacoma Dome for 2 years. However, seems the city will push them to use Key Arena, as part of the deal, to get approval from the City Council.
Playing a few games at Safeco Field, roof closed, can make up for the some of the revenue, from playing at Key Arena.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:11 AM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Don Levin, the owner of the Chicago Wolves, has been in lukewarm discussions.
I don't think this is critical as some are thinking though. If the NHL realizes the potential gold mine or at least the for sure improvement they have over Phoenix, in Seattle, they will move the team there and auction it off later or sell to Levin.
MLB did this with the Washington Nationals, even without a stadium, much less an ownership group and I would say they're glad they did what they did (even though I was an Expos fan).
Beenhere and Maruk14 and Lazyking seemingly are summing up this news very well. Really, in one way, it is not much change. The whispers of Hansen's group coming up with an arena have been around awhile. This is the next step in that process. The big questions for tomorrow (and maybe later, too) seem to be:

1) Does the arena actually allow for NHL hockey? It seems to be assumed the answer is yes. However, we have word the NHL has not really talked to Hansen (true or false - isn't this fun???) And, the press release that tells about tomorrow press conferences suggests 2 teams. But, it still remains a little bit of a question.

2) Is the financing for the arena going to be acceptable to the governing powers that be?

3) How long to build?

4) As hereandthere said, What does the NHL do then? Apparently no owner stepping quickly to the plate, as far as we know. Do they move it and own it themselves? If so, they face 2 years of losses playing in a temp arena (and, according to Daly, they haven't looked at that). If they hold onto PHX until the new arena is done, they face 2 years losses in PHX, when everyone knows they are leaving after that. But, Seattle looks to have tremendous upside later. Can the owners of the team (NHL, in this case) negotiate arrangements for the team that allow them to make money?

All in all, this is a big positive step for Seattle fans. Now, what exactly will tomorrow hold? More smiles (NHL-ready, too) or tears (NBA only)?

My guess is:

I haven't got the faintest clue.

Last edited by MNNumbers: 02-16-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: add maruk and lazykings names
Old
02-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Devil X

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Last i heard he wasn't specifically working with Hansen at the time but of course that could change once the arena actually happens.I think there is only 1 other City that has 3 stadiums that close and its Philly.
Cincinnati's are all close on the river. However there arena does not have a full time professional tenant. Cyclones are the arenas main tenant.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:22 AM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Beenhere and Maruk14 and Lazyking seemingly are summing up this news very well. Really, in one way, it is not much change. The whispers of Hansen's group coming up with an arena have been around awhile. This is the next step in that process. The big questions for tomorrow (and maybe later, too) seem to be:

1) Does the arena actually allow for NHL hockey? It seems to be assumed the answer is yes. However, we have word the NHL has not really talked to Hansen (true or false - isn't this fun???) And, the press release that tells about tomorrow press conferences suggests 2 teams. But, it still remains a little bit of a question.

2) Is the financing for the arena going to be acceptable to the governing powers that be?

3) How long to build?

4) As hereandthere said, What does the NHL do then? Apparently no owner stepping quickly to the plate, as far as we know. Do they move it and own it themselves? If so, they face 2 years of losses playing in a temp arena (and, according to Daly, they haven't looked at that). If they hold onto PHX until the new arena is done, they face 2 years losses in PHX, when everyone knows they are leaving after that. But, Seattle looks to have tremendous upside later. Can the owners of the team (NHL, in this case) negotiate arrangements for the team that allow them to make money?

All in all, this is a big positive step for Seattle fans. Now, what exactly will tomorrow hold? More smiles (NHL-ready, too) or tears (NBA only)?

My guess is:

I haven't got the faintest clue.
A lot of the ?'s will be answered tomorrow. However, just about all of the major players in this have said, including Hansen, that the only way for it to work is to be both NHL and NBA ready. It's up to each league to decide what they wish to do after that.
It will be larger and again, be NHL and NBA ready. The city made a huge mistake by building Key Arena small (even for hoops capacity, it was only 17k) and non NHL ready for a permanent stay. They won't do that again.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:36 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Reading through everything that's happened today, gotta admit that Seattle's chances at landing a team appear to certainly have climbed quite a bit. Still not on QC's level, imho, but they're getting to the point where they are becoming a legitimately real possibility.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Northender

Quote:
A lot of the ?'s will be answered tomorrow. However, just about all of the major players in this have said, including Hansen, that the only way for it to work is to be both NHL and NBA ready. It's up to each league to decide what they wish to do after that.
It will be larger and again, be NHL and NBA ready. The city made a huge mistake by building Key Arena small (even for hoops capacity, it was only 17k) and non NHL ready for a permanent stay. They won't do that again.
"including Hansen, that the only way for it to work is to be both NHL and NBA ready"

I haven;t seen a single quote anywhere in the media from Hansen on or about the NHL. Maybe you can provide a link? As far as I can tell, Hansen has been working for 8 months on an NBA team, and the NHL has expressed some kind of interest (maybe not even to Hansen directly) that they think the NHL would also be a nice fit for him.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Seattle Sasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
"including Hansen, that the only way for it to work is to be both NHL and NBA ready"

I haven;t seen a single quote anywhere in the media from Hansen on or about the NHL. Maybe you can provide a link? As far as I can tell, Hansen has been working for 8 months on an NBA team, and the NHL has expressed some kind of interest (maybe not even to Hansen directly) that they think the NHL would also be a nice fit for him.
To make the arena profitable, it will require both the NBA and the NHL...

Le Soliel, January 30, 2012 (translated):
"Our efforts are serious. There are several private groups are competing to build an arena, and what motivates them at the base is an NHL franchise," said an influential person working with the group to give Seattle franchises for both the NBA and the NHL. In order not to undermine the efforts of investors, this insider of the Seattle sports scene prefers to remain anonymous.

But on the West Coast, the NHL is not a consolation prize for the NBA. "This is a very attractive market, there is a beautiful story of hockey here. We have many links to and rivalry with Vancouver. And we have an incredible number of billionaires in the region who are willing to support professional teams," says the businessman, who now devotes much of his energy to drive this. "The desire of the business community is to have two sports: basketball and hockey. The two go together."

"I am aware of the involvement of several investors. This is very serious," says Craig Kinzer, a well known property developer in the region and former president of the Seattle Chamber of Commerce. "For our investors, it is natural to aim for the NBA and the NHL... To be profitable here, it takes all three (NBA, NHL and arena)." Investors feel in recent months that all of these conditions could be met shortly, the businessman concludes.

and..

Some excellent questions from Ian Furness for Mayor McGinn in this interview, resulting in some insightful answers including these:
Host: Are we closer today than we were 3 months ago, 6 months ago, or a year ago, not to seeing an NBA or an NHL team here, but are we closer today to seeing an arena built within the Seattle city limits?

McGinn: I think we have to say we are much closer today (to building an arena within the Seattle city limits) than we were 3 months ago, 6 months ago, or a year ago. And I say that because Chris Hansen is a serious committed investor who appears to have the financial wherewithal and the business knowledge to move forward.

Host: Do you need both the NBA & NHL to be here for that arena to work?

McGinn: That's what I've been informed from their side. That's what they are hoping to do. So I presume that's important to them.

Host: So, you are not going to do an arena if you are just going to have an NBA team here or if you're just going to have an NHL team here?

McGinn: My understanding is that they're interested in both and that's an important consideration to them.

Host: Public money -- could there ever be public money spent?

McGinn: Our view is, we have to make sure, whatever the structure of the deal is, means that we are not dipping into other accounts to pay for this; we are coming up with some new tax source to go to the public for. So we have to work to figure out how to work within those constraints.

The Seattle Mayor says at 4:00:
"I don't think they are moving forward unless they have commitments from the NBA and NHL...my understanding is that given the way these things work, they probably have some kind of pathway..."

^^That is all from the very first page of the thread. There is likely a source about Hansen specifically and the NHL, but it doesn't matter as much as getting the arena built. As long as the city, mayor, city council, sports networks, and prospective owners are interested in acquiring the NHL (which they are), we're set.

Last edited by Seattle Sasquatch: 02-16-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: to add more from first page
Old
02-16-2012, 12:45 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Use T-Dome

Old
02-16-2012, 12:47 AM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post

Just look at all the articles on HF Boards and Google it. While I haven't seen a quote directly from Hansen, well, come to think of it, there aren't any quotes, directly from him. All the info, is 3rd party info, even info on his NBA interest.
The city won't allow an Ackerley this time around. Even if Hansen doesn't want an NHL franchise himself (and there's been no indication to suggest that), McGinn and the city council would give him holy hell, if he backed out on that after the agreement is reached.
That's why the NHL needs to beat the NBA to the punch, if the arena plans are set. If they don't, that worst case situation could happen, where cost overruns, could get rid of the hockey readiness, like what happened to the arena in Brooklyn (that was originally going to be made for both, but when it got over budget, they scaled back and made NBA ready only, wishing they never did that now, thanks to what's going on with the Islanders).

Old
02-16-2012, 12:49 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

So are we talking the NHL team paying rent in this scenario? Being a tenant? Basketball ownership owns the house?

That doesn't seem to work so well.

02-16-2012, 01:04 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Chris Daniels @ChrisDaniels5

Got some new info on the proposed deal between Chris Hansen and City of Seattle. More at 10/11 on KONG/KING. #nba #nhl

Other media tweets:

Norma Reid @CTVNorma

Reports of a big sports announcement south of the border in #Seattle tomorrow. Sources say potential new NBA/NHL arena. @CTVMorningLive

Nick Kypreos @RealKyper

Local Seattle TV says new arena will be announced by Seattle City hall on Thurs. Future #NHL home? Hey Quebec city.. the race is on!

Adam Proteau @Proteautype

I have no doubt the NHL would prefer to move the Coyotes to Seattle & soak Quebec & Southern Ont. for tens of millions in expansion fees.

ain MacIntyre @imacVanSun

Seattle Coyotes? @RealKyper: Seattle TV says new arena will be announced by Seattle City hall Thurs. Future #NHL home?

David Amber @DavidAmber

The #Seattle Metropolitans were the first US based #NHL team to win Stanley Cup... I hope they go back to that name if they return

Farhan Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN

It was only a matter of time #nhl #nba RT @blakeprice1040: wow.. reports of a Seattle arena being announced as early as tomorrow. stay tuned

Last edited by superdeluxe: 02-16-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Closed Thread