HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part III (post #217 - arena announcement 2/16)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2012, 01:28 AM
  #876
Northender
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
imagine the rivalry between vancouver, seattle, and portland.

edmonton, calgary, vancouver, seattle, and portland division?
There is very little connection (business or sports, etc) between Alberta and the Pacific Northwest.

Northender is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 01:37 AM
  #877
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
There is very little connection (business or sports, etc) between Alberta and the Pacific Northwest.
true, but you could say the same thing about minnesota, colorado, and the 3 western canadian teams. you gotta start somewhere

TwistedWrister90 is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 03:10 AM
  #878
Nuclear SUV
Registered User
 
Nuclear SUV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
There is very little connection (business or sports, etc) between Alberta and the Pacific Northwest.
That's not true. Alberta gets the Spokane affiliates of the U.S. television networks. Spokane is also the closest major American city to Alberta, so it gets a decent amount of shoppers who visit there.

They also have current WHL sports connections with the Pacific Northwest and a former PCL baseball one.

Nuclear SUV is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 03:37 AM
  #879
Rocko604
Registered User
 
Rocko604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
That's not true. Alberta gets the Spokane affiliates of the U.S. television networks. Spokane is also the closest major American city to Alberta, so it gets a decent amount of shoppers who visit there.

They also have current WHL sports connections with the Pacific Northwest and a former PCL baseball one.
Even with the WHL, there isn't really much, if any, animosity between the US and Central division. Although, just for fun, it would be awesome if Portland and Calgary wore Beavers and Cannons themed jerseys for one game.

Rocko604 is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:15 AM
  #880
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,562
vCash: 500
Seattle Arena Roundtable Podcast is up:

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/cc-com...6901_12337.mp3

BRIAN ROBINSON, Arena Solution
Local business owner and former “Save Our Sonics” founder, Robinson is a mover-and-shaker. His passion for hoops and knowledge of the business climate found him at the center of political meetings during the relocation in 2008. His new group, ArenaSolution.org, aims to get a state-of-the-art arena built in Western Washington to house professional teams and premium concerts and shows.

ArenaSolution on Twitter

ART THIEL, Sports Press NW
Legendary columnist, Art Thiel is a well-respected voice in the Seattle sports scene. For decades, his bylines were a staple in the now-defunct Seattle PI. You can now read his columns at SportsPressNW.com. An incredible wordsmith, Art’s depth of knowledge and perspective is an incredible asset to local sports fans.


Check out SportsPressNW.com


JASON REID & ADAM BROWN, Sonicsgate
Since the SuperSonics left Seattle, these two Super-fans have kept the flame burning. As co-producers of the award-winning documentary, Sonicsgate, Jason & Adam’s fandom has transcended into activism. You can spot them sporting SuperSonics Green-and-Gold proudly at Trailblazers games whenever Oklahoma City returns to the Northwest.

Check out Sonicsgate on Twitter


EDDIE FRANCIS, KUBE93
For years, Sports Radio KJR’s neighbor has been Seattle’s #1 Hip-Hop station, KUBE 93.3 FM. Eddie and Furness first met while doing nighttime radio at the respective stations. Now the voice of KUBE’s “Wake Up Show,” Eddie is a passionate Seattle sports fans and trendsetter.

YOURBOYEDDIE on Twitter

CHRIS VAN DYK, Citizens for More Important Things
Chris represents the argument’s “other side.” A longtime Olympia lobbyist, Van Dyk founded “Citizens for More Important Things” – a group who has been very vocal against the public subsidy of sports arenas. He will call-in today at 1:33 PM for a different take on the Seattle Arena.

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 11:01 AM
  #881
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowisetrepla View Post
KING TV, the NBC affiliate, is scheduling an hour special @10pm tonight to discuss the arena deal. I understand they had a brief interview today with David Stern re the NBA and Seattle. I'm sure the NHL will be discussed as well.
http://www.king5.com/video?sec=1097383

From the looks of this, it looks like clips from last night's special are now up at this link. Not the whole 60 minutes, unfortunately, but specific clips, and there are some NHL-related ones there.

Those who didn't see it last night and live anywhere Northwest Cable News is aired on the local cable system (or on Dish Network in certain locations, including Seattle) can see the special again tonight, 8:30 p.m., and knowing how these guys program late nights and overnights, I'm guessing there might be one or two additional re-airs overnight of it, so set your DVR's if necessary.

And while I'm here, and since I haven't seen anyone else link these, the online Seattle news site Crosscut this week had two articles on the arena subject:

http://crosscut.com/2012/02/20/real-...-s-important-/

http://crosscut.com/2012/02/21/sport...y-donnybrook!/


Last edited by snovalleyhockeyfan: 02-24-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: clarity
snovalleyhockeyfan is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 11:19 AM
  #882
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,562
vCash: 500
Interesting take by the Washington Council for International Trade:

http://wcit.org/blog/washington-need...ational-trade/


Yes, we have many professional sports teams, including the Sounders who play the world’s game (soccer). But, according to a variety of rankings, basketball is in the top five most popular sports in the world. Soccer is number one, of course, and cricket is higher on the list as well (might be time to get a professional cricket team here?), but professional basketball plays a special role in the hearts of some of our largest trading partners, and it is notable to them that we don’t have a team. Back in 2008, the Seattle Times interviewed the Chinese about their love of sports, and the NBA tops the list

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 02:18 PM
  #883
beenhereandthere
Registered User
 
beenhereandthere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Evergray State
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Interesting take by the Washington Council for International Trade:

http://wcit.org/blog/washington-need...ational-trade/


Yes, we have many professional sports teams, including the Sounders who play the world’s game (soccer). But, according to a variety of rankings, basketball is in the top five most popular sports in the world. Soccer is number one, of course, and cricket is higher on the list as well (might be time to get a professional cricket team here?), but professional basketball plays a special role in the hearts of some of our largest trading partners, and it is notable to them that we don’t have a team. Back in 2008, the Seattle Times interviewed the Chinese about their love of sports, and the NBA tops the list
Understood, just hope people won't interpret that as an excuse to slam Seattle's NHL market potential. There's enough fans to go around for both, easily.

beenhereandthere is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 04:17 PM
  #884
MuzikMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Understood, just hope people won't interpret that as an excuse to slam Seattle's NHL market potential. There's enough fans to go around for both, easily.
I agree. The NBA is being promoted to get the emotional support of potential fans and make the project relevant to the masses, something that at this point the NHL probably could not do in Seattle. Saying that, if the NHL was able to be a part of the new arena project either through relocation or expansion, I think the team could be quite successful. I think they key would be the one ice product must be worth seeing, if they have successive loosing seasons like Atlanta, Columbus, or Florida - they're be in trouble.

MuzikMachine is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 02:04 AM
  #885
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
How/why is New Orleans not a more likely target? I know Stern wants to find an owner who will keep the team there, but from what I understand, he has had ZERO offers.
Stern says in this video (1:55 mark) that he is "negotiating with two groups" with regard to New Orleans.

__________________
Follow JawandaPuck on Twitter and Blogspot - all revenue from Google Ads is donated to the Canucks for Kids Fund (CFKF) in support of the Canucks Autism Network (CAN).
JawandaPuck is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 04:08 AM
  #886
gernb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Stern says in this video (1:55 mark) that he is "negotiating with two groups" with regard to New Orleans.
Let me guess. In two weeks a deal is imminent! Stern is taking a page from GB.

gernb is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 05:48 AM
  #887
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Stern says in this video (1:55 mark) that he is "negotiating with two groups" with regard to New Orleans.
http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...d_stern_d.html

This story out of New Orleans makes mention of who these "two groups" are. One is backed by the brother of the owner of the NFL's Saints, and the other one is headed up by the Hornets' former minority owner. Maybe a little OT for this particular thread, but since some of you might be wondering about who these groups are, this news story should provide some answers.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:44 PM
  #888
JetsAlternate
Registered User
 
JetsAlternate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,796
vCash: 500
I decided to try my hand today at simplifying and updating the Totems logo. There's an 's' in the torso, and it it also forms a gem -- an emerald, to be more precise.




Compared to the original:


JetsAlternate is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 03:25 AM
  #889
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
idk totems seems kinda lame to call a hockey team. metropolitans would be a lot better imo

TwistedWrister90 is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
  #890
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: Fiji
Posts: 27,780
vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
I decided to try my hand today at simplifying and updating the Totems logo. There's an 's' in the torso, and it it also forms a gem -- an emerald, to be more precise.




Compared to the original:

Looks good, but I agree with the previous poster. If Seattle ever does get an NHL team, I really, truly hope that they go with something other then the Totems. Just doesn't sound like a good name.

Would much rather see them purchase the rights to the Thunderbirds name or go back to the old Metropolitans moniker (even though, as a Cubs fan, I'd hate to see a "Mets" in the NHL and would likely only call them the "Metros" shorthand because of that). Or even the Seattle Breakers, which the guy that runs Icethetics seems to prefer.

No Fun Shogun is online now  
Old
02-27-2012, 01:03 PM
  #891
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,562
vCash: 500
I don't like Totems or Mets. If you had to go History, go Thunderbirds. Its history plus the name is pretty aggressive.

If not a historical name, Go with Steelhead or Sockeye. Sounds aggressive, and has a geographical element to it.

Breakers is good too.


Last edited by superdeluxe: 02-27-2012 at 01:18 PM.
superdeluxe is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 06:48 PM
  #892
derriko
Registered User
 
derriko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 3,029
vCash: 500
So it sounds like our chances are getting worse every day. The Kings sure look to be out of the running and now the Hornets are moving forward with two potential owners. I know that is more speculation than actual facts as of now, but my outlook is starting to look as gloomy as the weather up here in Seattle

derriko is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 07:03 PM
  #893
Nuclear SUV
Registered User
 
Nuclear SUV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Hornets will move. When they move is the question.

Nuclear SUV is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 07:57 PM
  #894
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: Fiji
Posts: 27,780
vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
So it sounds like our chances are getting worse every day. The Kings sure look to be out of the running and now the Hornets are moving forward with two potential owners. I know that is more speculation than actual facts as of now, but my outlook is starting to look as gloomy as the weather up here in Seattle
If I were you guys, I'd be praying that the Hornets or Grizzlies situations worsen in the coming months and years, as they're pretty much the only two legitimate relocation candidates in the NBA right now, imho.

And, despite what's talked about the NHL, it's even slimmer pickings as I honestly do think that the Yotes are the only team at all likely to move in the next decade or so. From what I've heard, other folks would likely want to buy the Isles and keep them on Long Island (though likely in the city) if Wang ever had enough and decided to sell (and you better believe that Bettman and the BoG would be 100% to the team leaving the NY market) and it's looking like the BJs arena situation may have been solved and they won't be a relocation candidate like I was expecting otherwise.

No Fun Shogun is online now  
Old
02-27-2012, 08:00 PM
  #895
JetsAlternate
Registered User
 
JetsAlternate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,796
vCash: 500
Made another adjustment and deleted the old one from my account. I brought the wings closer and shortened the body so that the logo is more condensed.



Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I don't like Totems or Mets. If you had to go History, go Thunderbirds. Its history plus the name is pretty aggressive.

If not a historical name, Go with Steelhead or Sockeye. Sounds aggressive, and has a geographical element to it.

Breakers is good too.
The Totems have an enormous amount of history. They were the Canucks' nemesis during their WHL days, the Totems almost became a part of the NHL twice, many Totems alumni became involved in the NHL (including Pat Quinn), and the Totems had the greatest WHL player of all time.

I'm referring to Guyle Fielder, who is the third highest-scoring player in professional hockey, only behind Howe and Gretzky. He was the face of the Totems, and the face of the WHL. He was the WHL's MVP six times, led the league in scoring nine times, was a WHL all-star twelve times, and scored 100+ points four times. He holds the minor league record for most assists and most games played.

He was the WHL's rookie of the year in 1952. When he played one season in the AHL back in 1953, he was named the rookie of the year and made the AHL first all-star team.

He played 15 seasons for Seattle between 1953 and 1969; 11 under the Totems name. He was their captain for many years.

He is Seattle's greatest hockey player ever and one of the all-time greats in the history of professional hockey. Surely, his presence, his accomplishments, and his significance to Seattle and professional hockey should warrant the preservation of the Totems name. He's in the Washington State Sports Hall of Fame. Fielder's legacy is Seattle's legacy.



Last edited by JetsAlternate: 02-27-2012 at 08:09 PM.
JetsAlternate is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 08:03 PM
  #896
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
If I were you guys, I'd be praying that the Hornets or Grizzlies situations worsen in the coming months and years, as they're pretty much the only two legitimate relocation candidates in the NBA right now, imho.

And, despite what's talked about the NHL, it's even slimmer pickings as I honestly do think that the Yotes are the only team at all likely to move in the next decade or so. From what I've heard, other folks would likely want to buy the Isles and keep them on Long Island (though likely in the city) if Wang ever had enough and decided to sell (and you better believe that Bettman and the BoG would be 100% to the team leaving the NY market) and it's looking like the BJs arena situation may have been solved and they won't be a relocation candidate like I was expecting otherwise.
Expansion is in the cards for the NHL. I would even say that i place my bet for the 2015-16 season. But Seattle will need to get the shovel in the ground in a not to distant future, Toronto 2 will make a push soon

Undertakerqc is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 08:15 PM
  #897
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: Fiji
Posts: 27,780
vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Expansion is in the cards for the NHL. I would even say that i place my bet for the 2015-16 season. But Seattle will need to get the shovel in the ground in a not to distant future, Toronto 2 will make a push soon
Oh yeah, that's what I figure, too.... but until expansion is officially announced, ya can't really bank on that happening.

No Fun Shogun is online now  
Old
02-27-2012, 08:19 PM
  #898
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
best american candidates for nhl IMO: seattle, houston, portland

kansas city seems kinda dumb for a hockey team. hartford would be cool i guess, but it doesn't really grow the game in the US

only canadian candidates: obviously QC and toronto/hamilton


Last edited by TwistedWrister90: 02-27-2012 at 08:36 PM.
TwistedWrister90 is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
  #899
Northender
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
best american candidates for nhl IMO: seattle, houston, portland

kansas city seems kinda dumb for a hockey team. hartford would be cool i guess, but it doesn't really grow the game in the US

only canadian candidates: QC and toronto/hamilton
If there were any suckers (or criminals) left with a spare 200 million you can bet GB would have sold them a team in any of those US cities if they were so inclined.

It could change tomorrow but Quebec City and Toronto 2 are the only legitimate options for the NHL right now...with a long shot remaining in Seattle, assuming they can line up not 1 but 2 pro teams in 2 different leagues, and then get a new building built.

Do you think GB hears the Blame Canada song in his head every night when he goes to sleep?

Northender is offline  
Old
02-27-2012, 10:12 PM
  #900
derriko
Registered User
 
derriko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 3,029
vCash: 500
the Kings just reached a new arena deal

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._In_Sacramento

derriko is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.