HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part III (post #217 - arena announcement 2/16)

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 11:24 PM
beenhereandthere

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
the Kings just reached a new arena deal

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._In_Sacramento
What could be the hope for Seattle, is if there's expansion, as a result of a new CBA and Hansen drops his stance of having to secure both the NBA and NHL in Seattle, at the same time, before he commits to an arena.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
What could be the hope for Seattle, is if there's expansion, as a result of a new CBA and Hansen drops his stance of having to secure both the NBA and NHL in Seattle, at the same time, before he commits to an arena.
If Les Alexander had been interested in owning an NHL team you can be sure we wouldn't be talking about the Winnipeg Jets today.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:05 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Bellevue wants in on arena discussion

http://www.king5.com/news/Arena-Talk...140676183.html

Bellevue now putting its hat in the arena ring.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:10 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

I really hope this gets done.

Hope the Coyotes ownership prospect falls through, hope they get purchased by a Seattle group, and I hope Seattle gets the Sonics back more than anything.

An NHL team is a deserved bonus for the misery Seattle sports fans were put through with the entire Bubba Bennett-Thunder debacle.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipadelphia View Post
I really hope this gets done.

Hope the Coyotes ownership prospect falls through, hope they get purchased by a Seattle group, and I hope Seattle gets the Sonics back more than anything.

An NHL team is a deserved bonus for the misery Seattle sports fans were put through with the entire Bubba Bennett-Thunder debacle.
Seattle will get an NHL team someday, if it can get its new arena going. But as for the Coyotes, i think its a bit too late. The first shovel for the arena is still very far away. My bet is they could be in on the next expansion.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Seattle will get an NHL team someday, if it can get its new arena going. But as for the Coyotes, i think its a bit too late. The first shovel for the arena is still very far away. My bet is they could be in on the next expansion.
Scuttlebut is that Seattle gets a relo team first. QC might get an expansion team because the NHL wants more money out of that region. I expect Seattle to get a team in 2 years, QC in 5 or 6

Old
02-28-2012, 01:28 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
http://www.king5.com/news/Arena-Talk...140676183.html

Bellevue now putting its hat in the arena ring.

Unlike Hansen's plan, they seem to be going at it the way Kansas City did with their new arena, which doesn't have an NBA or NHL team (they built it anyway) and it still makes money.
So hopefully, they are still going at this with zeal, as opposed to waiting for Hansen to get teams before he even starts, if they have a final proposal 1st, forget Hansen.
However, if the Puyallup tribe really wanted to get even richer than they already are, they should just buy the Tacoma Dome and modernize it and have both leagues play in Tacoma instead. You'd still be within a 45 minute drive of 70% of Metro Seattle's population.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:51 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Unlike Hansen's plan, they seem to be going at it the way Kansas City did with their new arena, which doesn't have an NBA or NHL team (they built it anyway) and it still makes money.
So hopefully, they are still going at this with zeal, as opposed to waiting for Hansen to get teams before he even starts, if they have a final proposal 1st, forget Hansen.
However, if the Puyallup tribe really wanted to get even richer than they already are, they should just buy the Tacoma Dome and modernize it and have both leagues play in Tacoma instead. You'd still be within a 45 minute drive of 70% of Metro Seattle's population.
Tacoma is a terrible location to host both teams. Traffic would be way worse. I think having 2 cities wanting an arena is good for us. It puts pressure on Seattle.

Seattle is more further along in the arena process than Bellevue. Bellevue group has yet to come out with an arena plan. It really sounds like to me is Bellevue waiting and see what happens in the soda arena plans. But what they can do is get the plan ready, funded, and location figured out in case Seattle's arena plan doesn't get approved.

The issue with Seattle is they have to respect I-91. So having an empty arena with no NBA/NHL doesn't exactly help in repaying the bonds back. Bellevue doesn't have I-91 to deal with.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:31 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Tacoma is a terrible location to host both teams. Traffic would be way worse. I think having 2 cities wanting an arena is good for us. It puts pressure on Seattle.

Seattle is more further along in the arena process than Bellevue. Bellevue group has yet to come out with an arena plan. It really sounds like to me is Bellevue waiting and see what happens in the soda arena plans. But what they can do is get the plan ready, funded, and location figured out in case Seattle's arena plan doesn't get approved.

The issue with Seattle is they have to respect I-91. So having an empty arena with no NBA/NHL doesn't exactly help in repaying the bonds back. Bellevue doesn't have I-91 to deal with.
I don't know why Bellevue can just go through with the plans. Again, they seem to not be hanging on a promise of both the NBA and NHL, like Seattle's is. If they finalize theirs first, who cares what Seattle does?

Old
02-28-2012, 02:58 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
I don't know why Bellevue can just go through with the plans. Again, they seem to not be hanging on a promise of both the NBA and NHL, like Seattle's is. If they finalize theirs first, who cares what Seattle does?
Who knows whats going on in Bellevue regarding the arena idea.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Scuttlebut is that Seattle gets a relo team first. QC might get an expansion team because the NHL wants more money out of that region. I expect Seattle to get a team in 2 years, QC in 5 or 6
We will see, but the quiet confidance of PKP, tells me otherwise. All the signs here point towards the Coyotes moving here this automn if they cant find an owner there. And the deal with Jamieson is far less along then people think in Phoenix (Peladeau's minions are saying this). But if by a miracle some financially suicidal man buys the Coyotes, both Seattle and Quebec will get a team, if Seattle can get itself an arena.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:44 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
We will see, but the quiet confidance of PKP, tells me otherwise. All the signs here point towards the Coyotes moving here this automn if they cant find an owner there. And the deal with Jamieson is far less along then people think in Phoenix (Peladeau's minions are saying this). But if by a miracle some financially suicidal man buys the Coyotes, both Seattle and Quebec will get a team, if Seattle can get itself an arena.
Assuming the league decides in favor of quebec ownership group getting the Coyotes.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Assuming the league decides in favor of quebec ownership group getting the Coyotes.
Well they have been talking with the NHL since 2009, and Bettman was really impressed by Qc's bid.

Old
02-28-2012, 06:08 PM
gstommylee

You know what i find absolutely funny. People claiming that they read the sodo arena proposal and still claim its involving public tax payers money. That just shows us that they never actually read the proposal.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:04 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 146
Quote:
You know what i find absolutely funny. People claiming that they read the sodo arena proposal and still claim its involving public tax payers money. That just shows us that they never actually read the proposal.
Are you telling me that the arena will get built if Seattle (and/or King County) doesn't put up $200 million?

Old
02-29-2012, 10:36 AM
JetsAlternate

I just did a mockup of what I'd like the updated Totems jerseys to look like, using the updated logo I made a few days ago.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:09 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
I just did a mockup of what I'd like the updated Totems jerseys to look like, using the updated logo I made a few days ago.

Needs a bit of blue thrown in there otherwise everything's just a mesh.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:34 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
If you are referring to what I think you are referring to, I second your comments, gstommylee. I saw the same thing yesterday and couldn't believe it either. But that's the thing, folks - sadly, IMO, there's a lot of anti-arena people here who simply do not want any public money of any kind to go to this. And to them, a public bond is public money, so this whole thing is a no go to them.

Anyway, onto more serious stuff:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...earena29m.html

This morning's Seattle Times, along with all three major local TV stations, have stories about the Bellevue arena breakfast yesterday. The following quote from the linked story I think is the key one:

Quote:
Bellevue City Manager Steve Sarkozy said at a Bellevue Downtown Association forum Tuesday that the City Council has given him "a license to hunt" each year for investors or property owners who want to bring an NBA and NHL arena to the city.
An interesting choice of words, but at least an on-record admission that yes, Bellevue wants to be in on this, and is actively looking around for people willing to join in.

Thoughts?

Old
02-29-2012, 11:48 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:

I love green, but that's just too much. Needs much more blue and white. And a bit darker green, that's just too bright.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:01 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
If Les Alexander had been interested in owning an NHL team you can be sure we wouldn't be talking about the Winnipeg Jets today.
Alexander is actually in Houston, but I think I get your point.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:23 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Seattle arena panel problem

Not sure what to make of this, everyone, but there's an interesting piece of breaking news today:

http://today.seattletimes.com/2012/0...ites-conflict/

is all I have to say on this one......

Old
02-29-2012, 05:26 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
Not sure what to make of this, everyone, but there's an interesting piece of breaking news today:

http://today.seattletimes.com/2012/0...ites-conflict/

is all I have to say on this one......
I wouldn't make much of it. Not really an uncommon occurrence for a board member to cite a COI on an issue.

Old
02-29-2012, 06:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

I did a terrible MS Paint job, but I took the Red Wings Uniforms and used that "OTHER" Totems logo floating around out there...
Attached Images
File Type: bmp seattletotem3.bmp‎ (1.62 MB, 21 views)

Last edited by rt: 02-29-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old
02-29-2012, 06:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I love green, but that's just too much. Needs much more blue and white. And a bit darker green, that's just too bright.
No,no blue. That's just the Vancouver Canucks, then. Only white and green. Two tone only.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Lam7825
Go Goldy Go!

Quote:

damn, that is one bright green. And by the time Seattle/Tacoma/Bellevue/Everett ever gets a new arena, Ray Whitney's grandchildren will be playing in the NHL.

Lauri from Tacoma

Closed Thread