HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part III (post #217 - arena announcement 2/16)

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2012, 07:35 PM
gstommylee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Here a interesting audio about the Phoenix/Quebec/Seattle situation. http://www.fan590.com/onair/primetimesports/ ... play the friday, 6PM section of the radio show
They are completely downplaying Seattle and ignoring that Seattle working on trying to build a new arena.

Old
02-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
They are completely downplaying Seattle.
They are for the Coyotes, but Bettman is drumming up Seattle for a reason, he needs new markets for the future cause there are still a lot of markets in difficulties

Old
02-10-2012, 07:41 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
They are for the Coyotes, but Bettman is drumming up Seattle for a reason, he needs new markets for the future cause there are still a lot of markets in difficulties
I mean in general. They are talking about putting another team in Toronto either relocation or expansion so far i have yet to see them talk regarding the Seattle.

Old
02-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
I mean in general. They are talking about putting another team in Toronto either relocation or expansion so far i have yet to see them talk regarding the Seattle.
They havent focused much on Seattle

Old
02-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Patofqc

Here my Seattle friends , an article that might interest you.... or not http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/10...lent-treatment

The video is the best part

Old
02-10-2012, 08:47 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Here my Seattle friends , an article that might interest you.... or not http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/10...lent-treatment

I watched the video and i don't get how it would interest us?

Old
02-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
I watched the video and i don't get how it would interest us?
Well to know what the Quebec NHL bid is all about, since it seems it will be either Seattle or Quebec city. I love to watch videos about Seattle NHL bid. To know where they are at

Old
02-10-2012, 09:08 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Well to know what the Quebec NHL bid is all about, since it seems it will be either Seattle or Quebec city. I love to watch videos about Seattle NHL bid. To know where they are at
Ah. I recently have dropped my position of its either Seattle or Quebec to yea its gonna be Quebec. I just don't see seattle getting the arena plan financed and done in time to where they would be considered a serious threat to Quebec regarding phx. Never mind that NHL may not accept any of the arenas we have as a temporary. I'm on a wait and see regarding the arena. For the time being they are keeping the arena plan and financing behind close doors.

Who knows how many issues or hoops they have to go through to get this plan approved and financed. Like i said its going to be a huge political battle.

Of course the more recent thing is that the mariners are against it like i posted earlier. People are not happy with them which is fine their choice. i Just find it ridiculous (imo) at how much of a big deal people are making it especially when there are other issues that can kill the arena plan.

Last edited by gstommylee: 02-10-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old
02-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
. I love to watch videos about Seattle NHL bid. To know where they are at
Seattle doesn't need videos for an an NHL bid as it is by far the best open market for it. Seattle just needs to get the arena plans done and buy a team.

Old
02-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Melrose Munch

If Seattle wants Phx they need to get it together now!! An announcement has to come before the playoffs!

Old
02-11-2012, 12:02 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
If Seattle wants Phx they need to get it together now!! An announcement has to come before the playoffs!
Rushing it will get us no where though. And the council members aren't going to rush to vote yes just to get the arena. It needs to be done where all concerns are addressed with finances where everyone can agree to. Of course they don't need 9 yes votes only 5 but getting all 9 to agree to the arena plan and financing would even better. I don't care if we don't get phx.

Old
02-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Rushing it will get us no where though. And the council members aren't going to rush to vote yes just to get the arena. It needs to be done where all concerns are addressed with finances where everyone can agree to. Of course they don't need 9 yes votes only 5 but getting all 9 to agree to the arena plan and financing would even better. I don't care if we don't get phx.
But its now or never.

BTW you need to have the links in one place for all here.

Old
02-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
The rumors on where they are in the process are all over the place. What we know is that this group has been involved for over a year, has all of the land for an arena locked up, and will privately finance the sucker, though are willing to get public assistance as well. If the investor/ownership group and money is in place, then this could go real quick. Aside from the money and prospective investors, it sounds like they just need to jump through the regular political and regulatory hoops, which certainly could be expedited if necessary.

Old
02-11-2012, 12:13 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

The wheels are in motion. The arena deal has gotten the nod from the mayor, and so Hansen purchased the land. No city council is going to vote against private citizens offering to invest $400M into a clean revitalization project even if it means the city has to pay for infrastructure improvements and enact an event tax. It's a no brainer.

The key is the NBA's Sacremento Kings. If their city fails on March 1 to deliver the required arena financing plan to Stern, then Hansen wins. The Coyotes will then naturally find their "pathway" to Seattle as well. Awaiting the two teams is a lucrative regional sports network deal and a brand new arena.

02-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
The rumors on where they are in the process are all over the place. What we know is that this group has been involved for over a year, has all of the land for an arena locked up, and will privately finance the sucker, though are willing to get public assistance as well. If the investor/ownership group and money is in place, then this could go real quick. Aside from the money and prospective investors, it sounds like they just need to jump through the regular political and regulatory hoops, which certainly could be expedited if necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
The wheels are in motion. The arena deal has gotten the nod from the mayor, and so Hansen purchased the land. No city council is going to vote against private citizens offering to invest $400M into a clean revitalization project even if it means the city has to pay for infrastructure improvements and enact an event tax. It's a no brainer.

The key is the NBA's Sacremento Kings. If their city fails on March 1 to deliver the required arena financing plan to Stern, then Hansen wins. The Coyotes will then naturally find their "pathway" to Seattle as well. Awaiting the two teams is a lucrative regional sports network deal and a brand new arena.
Good call. Let's see how this plays out.

Old
02-11-2012, 12:17 AM
CerebralGenesis

I can def see the Kings going to Seattle in the return of the supersonics.

Don't really get why that means the 'yotes will be following that, but it sounds good to me and giving Seattle an NHL team would be cool. That is a good squad as well.

Old
02-11-2012, 12:29 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I can def see the Kings going to Seattle in the return of the supersonics.

Don't really get why that means the 'yotes will be following that, but it sounds good to me and giving Seattle an NHL team would be cool. That is a good squad as well.
The cable tv deal is going to be huge bucks. Bettman is not going to pass it up especially if its going to be from his network TV, $2B partner, Comcast.

Old
02-11-2012, 12:39 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
But its now or never.

BTW you need to have the links in one place for all here.
you mean the links in 1 post? You kinda lost me there?

Old
02-11-2012, 01:00 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post

Two words:

Tree Huggers.

And I hear there's a lof of them in Seattle.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
Two words:

Tree Huggers.

There is a lot of loggers up here too.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:13 AM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
There is a lot of loggers up here too.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:28 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
Two words:

Tree Huggers.

This complex deal doesn't even need words, it has something else up its sleeve. You have to piece the puzzle together a little bit though. Once you have enough pieces in place, revealed, despite its simplicity, is an extremely powerful symbol:

click here

Warning: certain members of our audience may find the following scene graphic and overwhelming!

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 02-11-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old
02-11-2012, 02:22 AM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
They are completely downplaying Seattle and ignoring that Seattle working on trying to build a new arena.
I've noticed a bit of an east/west difference in the Canadian media regarding Quebec City vs Seattle. The Toronto-based Fan 590 seems to have been focusing more the possibilities of Quebec City while the Calgary-based Fan 960 has explored more of the possibilities of Seattle, http://www.fan960.com/ondemand/media...07_194224_9620. The Vancouver Sun (not associated with Sun Media, i.e. Calgary Sun, Toronto Sun, etc.) has also given Seattle some attention because of the potential Canucks rivalry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc

Hmm...the Toronto Sun? As in Sunmedia, owned by Quebecor, the same group that would be behind Quebec City NHL team?? The conspiracy theorists were saying in earlier posts (IIRC buried in the Part II thread) that TSN and Sportsnet were focusing on Seattle as they didn't want Quebecor obtaining more assets. If those same theories are true, would Sun Media be pushing the QC angle a lot more?

Old
02-11-2012, 05:36 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
But its now or never.
Now or never for the Coyotes, but I still feel there will be a team or 2 after Quebec needing a landing pad soon. The Islanders as of the summer of 2015 come to mind, and possibly Columbus. Even if a Seattle arena gets approved this summer and Coyotes go to Quebec, you could still see a season or 2 in the Tacoma Dome with another team.

Old
02-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Matrix78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
I've noticed a bit of an east/west difference in the Canadian media regarding Quebec City vs Seattle. The Toronto-based Fan 590 seems to have been focusing more the possibilities of Quebec City while the Calgary-based Fan 960 has explored more of the possibilities of Seattle, http://www.fan960.com/ondemand/media...07_194224_9620. The Vancouver Sun (not associated with Sun Media, i.e. Calgary Sun, Toronto Sun, etc.) has also given Seattle some attention because of the potential Canucks rivalry.

Hmm...the Toronto Sun? As in Sunmedia, owned by Quebecor, the same group that would be behind Quebec City NHL team?? The conspiracy theorists were saying in earlier posts (IIRC buried in the Part II thread) that TSN and Sportsnet were focusing on Seattle as they didn't want Quebecor obtaining more assets. If those same theories are true, would Sun Media be pushing the QC angle a lot more?
Absolutely. Even if I think the Quebec bid is on top of the list, I strongly believe this is a way for Quebecor to put pressure on the NHL by raising expectations. It's part of the negociation

Closed Thread