HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would it cost to see Jeff Carter in a Winnipeg Jets uniform?

Old
02-01-2012, 12:18 PM
HometownHockey
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
What would it cost to see Jeff Carter in a Winnipeg Jets uniform?

Rumors are starting to heat up regarding trades and we are now less than a month away from the February 27 trade deadline. While the rent-a-player will be the most common commodity shopped over the next month, one of the most interesting names being tossed around is Columbus Blue Jackets F Jeff Carter.

Factoring in that the Jets would likely be willing to give up some considerable assets to land him. The Jets biggest area of depth is of course on defense.

Read more...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/sports/WW0008.php

HometownHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Wpg316

Heck no, his contract is horrible.

Wpg316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:43 PM
oldunclehue

No thank you very much, I wouldn't give much if we had to deal with his contract!

Columbus will have to take a minimal trade for someone to take his contract period!

oldunclehue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:46 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I would only take him if we didn't have to give up anything of value for him - ex. Carter for Antropov and Daultan Leveille. His contract is just too long, he seems to have a bit of an attitude and I doubt he would like playing in Winnipeg much more than he did in Columbus.

That photoshop edit is pretty good though.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Inflict
Viking

Realistically, the price for Carter was set last year. A 1st round draft pick, another top 3 draft pick, and a young potential top 6 forward. Unless the Jackets are desperate to sell, I doubt the asking price will be reduced. IMO, GMs who pay that price are stupid. It's too high a price to pay and Columbus is going to suffer the consequences for the next few years. The Jets simply cannot make this kind of trade. It goes against the team's philosophy of building through the draft.

This article does a nice job of highlighting the optimal trade from a Jets standpoint but in reality, Columbus would balk at these offers. We would need to offer our 1st and Schiefele to even consider being in the range of Jeff carter's asking price.

Last edited by Inflict: 02-01-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:48 PM
broinwhyteridge

Not too much considering the albatross that is his contract.

Last edited by broinwhyteridge: 02-01-2012 at 12:53 PM.
broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
Not too much considering the albatros that is his contract.
wicked adjective bro.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:54 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
no thanks

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
wicked adjective bro.
Thanks - I screwed up on the spelling though.

Old
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
The author's proposals are a bit bizarre. One of them includes the Jets receiving Huselius as a part of the package. Why would the Jets ever want Useless Huselius??? The guy is one of the softest players in the league; he is the antithesis of the sort of players the Jets should be stocking.

I'd be all for the Jets getting Jeff Carter as long as Carter was willing to play for one third of his current salary, and as well only if he receives both a personality transplant and also several injection doses of increased compete level hormone. In other words, I'm not at all in favor of the Jets trading for Carter.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Lorenzo1000

Do not want!

Lorenzo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Aerial

I'm not interested either. One concern for me besides contract (which is a big concern) is how many Columbus fans feel that Carter hasn't been playing nearly up to his potential due in part to sulking that he's stuck in Columbus.

If that is indeed the case, seems an awfully big risk that we'd see more of the same from him in Winnipeg -- we really don't need a player who doesn't give his all unless he's playing on a contender in a "desirable" market, we need a player who will buy in and help lead what's being built here.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Denny 204

I would take that contract only if we gave up the bare minimum.

Denny 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:30 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
The Jackets screwed themselves by getting Carter. They mortgaged the future to try and win this season. It didn't work. They're still awful. Chevy isn't going to make the same mistake.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:32 PM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The Jackets screwed themselves by getting Carter. They mortgaged the future to try and win this season. It didn't work. They're still awful.
Understatement of the century right there.

Old
02-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Jet
Spoiled Rotten

vCash: 50
No friggin way.

If we get him as a salary dump for CBJ then I would consider it. Even then it's something that could hurt this franchise for years if he doesn't return to form.

Then if you start throwing in young players and picks? Any sane GM runs as far away from that deal as possible.

02-01-2012, 01:42 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I think if Columbus does find a taker for Carter, it will be Los Angeles to reunite him with Richards. Los Angeles is closer to a win now mode and they have assets to get it done.

I can see a package around Loktionov and Clifford including a 1st getting it done. Don't know if they're going to get many better offers

Chevy will not forfeit our youth or picks for Carter and I am perfectly fine with that.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
The Jackets screwed themselves by getting Carter. They mortgaged the future to try and win this season. It didn't work. They're still awful. Chevy isn't going to make the same mistake.
While they of course were trying to win sooner rather then later, Carter is a prove 30 goal scorer in his prime signed for quite some time. It's not like he can't be productive and it would be hard for Couturier to live up to what Carter has already done. Voracek has been a disappointment in Philly.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Jet
Spoiled Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
While they of course were trying to win sooner rather then later, Carter is a prove 30 goal scorer in his prime signed for quite some time. It's not like he can't be productive and it would be hard for Couturier to live up to what Carter has already done. Voracek has been a disappointment in Philly.
Saying Voracek has been a disappointment in Philly is a bit premature. When you factor in Carters cap hit the Flyers won big in that trade.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Huffer

One poster in the Carter thread mentioned something to the affect that contracts over 7(?) years are not insurred.

Any of our CBA experts able to confirm?

I wouldn't want to give up a lot for Carter, but if you could get him for pennies (not saying you could) it wouldn't be such a bad thing for us. I hate the length of the contract, but if Carter can produce 30 goals a year, 5.5 million is pretty good. His contract also goes down in the last few years and he doesn't have a full NTC at the end.

A trade for a guy like Carter has so many variables that it's impossible to say a definitive yes or no.

1) Can we get him for less than Columbus did? (If not then no).

2) If he came here would he sulk and be a negative team member? (If yes, then no to the deal).

3) Would he be open to playing the wing again? (With our team, I would rather have a shoot first player on the wing). (If not then it muddies things up as we would have to move other guys around).

4) Is his contract insurable? (Even if all the other issues above were in our favour, if his contract was not insurable I can't see any situation where TNSE takes that on).

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:03 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
One poster in the Carter thread mentioned something to the affect that contracts over 7(?) years are not insurred.

Any of our CBA experts able to confirm?

I wouldn't want to give up a lot for Carter, but if you could get him for pennies (not saying you could) it wouldn't be such a bad thing for us. I hate the length of the contract, but if Carter can produce 30 goals a year, 5.5 million is pretty good. His contract also goes down in the last few years and he doesn't have a full NTC at the end.

A trade for a guy like Carter has so many variables that it's impossible to say a definitive yes or no.

1) Can we get him for less than Columbus did? (If not then no).

2) If he came here would he sulk and be a negative team member? (If yes, then no to the deal).

3) Would he be open to playing the wing again? (With our team, I would rather have a shoot first player on the wing). (If not then it muddies things up as we would have to move other guys around).

4) Is his contract insurable? (Even if all the other issues above were in our favour, if his contract was not insurable I can't see any situation where TNSE takes that on).
Its not that contracts over 7 years aren't insured, its that only 7 years of hte contract is insured. So if its a 10 years deal and the players career is finished insurance woudl ocever the first 7 years while the team would be on the hook for the last 3.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...ven-Years.aspx

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Its not that contracts over 7 years aren't insured, its that only 7 years of hte contract is insured. So if its a 10 years deal and the players career is finished insurance woudl ocever the first 7 years while the team would be on the hook for the last 3.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...ven-Years.aspx
Thanks for that cheswick. So it's the last 4 that are uninsured. 12 Million.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:11 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
Contract size/length + cost to get him is way too much IMO for a guy who has only been at a PPG once has had a bit of injury trouble this year.

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1031
Playing the Devils advocate, but isn't Carter what we all b**** and moan about not having. A legit top line forward who is a proven goal scorer. And oh yeah he is as big as a barn, has good speed and in his prime. Contract is ridiculously long but with a good yearly cap hit. If we didn't have to mortgage our future I think he might just get a new lease on life in a hockey mad place like Winnipeg.

At least we wouldn't have to worry about losing him to free agency.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:37 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Why would you want him? He's honestly overrated.

But I'm guessing CBJ would ask for quite a bit. Probably pieces Winnipeg wouldn't want to part with

Enstrom+1st 2012+prospect

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote