HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PA Parenteau Fits on Long Island

Old
02-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
PA Parenteau Fits on Long Island

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...on-long-island

02-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
ESPN. Why do you even post this?

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
It's a good read. Doesn't matter where it came from.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Islanders1932

I mean I truly believe when these players say that they want to play here, that they mean it. Its such a great feeling that everyone keeps saying that. Unfortunately it looks like when we are finally going to be playing for the cup that we won't even be in Nassau County, that is frustrating.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:40 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
I mean I truly believe when these players say that they want to play here, that they mean it. Its such a great feeling that everyone keeps saying that. Unfortunately it looks like when we are finally going to be playing for the cup that we won't even be in Nassau County, that is frustrating.
When Brendan Witt came over he called playing for the Islanders "the best kept secret in hockey" or something along those lines. If players come and play they do not often want to leave.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:19 PM
One for the thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
When Brendan Witt came over he called playing for the Islanders "the best kept secret in hockey" or something along those lines. If players come and play they do not often want to leave.
Not to mention I think these guys really like each other.

I remember hearing an interview with Derek King on Botta's site and Derek mentioned how much he loved playing here.

But of course, you're always going to have guys like Kirk Muller, Ryan Smyth, and Christian Ehrhoff that expect a Stanley Cup to be handed to them.

One for the thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:34 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by One for the thumb View Post

But of course, you're always going to have guys like Kirk Muller, Ryan Smyth, and Christian Ehrhoff that expect a Stanley Cup to be handed to them.
You can't blame anyone for a nanosecond for not wanting to to play for the Islanders.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Dude, How's your eye?

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:55 PM
One for the thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
You can't blame anyone for a nanosecond for not wanting to to play for the Islanders.
But to play Devil's Advocate, you can't blame me and other fans for coming down on these privileged dooshes when they fail to report to your team when there are tons of P.A. Parenteaus in the minors that never get a chance to sniff an NHL roster.

Old
02-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Sideshow Bob

Quote:

You cannot compare Muller to Smyth or Ehrloff. Although disappointed at the time, I have no ill will towards Smyth for being a professional and playing hard his lmited time here as a result of a trade that he didn't ask for, but then choosing a different offer at free agency that he thought was better for him (even if for less money). I have even less of an issue with Ehrloff not signing - he didn't owe us anything, and never had the experience of playing here.

Muller, on the other hand, will always be a P.O.S. in my book.

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:25 PM
One for the thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
You cannot compare Muller to Smyth or Ehrloff. Although disappointed at the time, I have no ill will towards Smyth for being a professional and playing hard his lmited time here as a result of a trade that he didn't ask for, but then choosing a different offer at free agency that he thought was better for him (even if for less money). I have even less of an issue with Ehrloff not signing - he didn't owe us anything, and never had the experience of playing here.

I take it as an F U any time a player cries his way out or takes less money to play somewhere else. Unless it's to a player's dream gig or hometown. I've had it with the 'our money isn't green' crap that players pull with us.

Old
02-10-2012, 06:48 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
I take it as an F U any time a player cries his way out or takes less money to play somewhere else. Unless it's to a player's dream gig or hometown. I've had it with the 'our money isn't green' crap that players pull with us.
It has nothing to do with money. This team is a joke, run by a clueless buffoon and his lackeys, hasn't won a playoff series in 20 years, circumvents the cap to spend as little as possible, and routinely does stupid things. Why would people want to commit years of their life to be a part of it.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:59 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
It has nothing to do with money. This team is a joke, run by a clueless buffoon and his lackeys, hasn't won a playoff series in 20 years, circumvents the cap to spend as little as possible, and routinely does stupid things. Why would people want to commit years of their life to be a part of it.
This team is finally doing the right things and getting on the right track with young skilled players that are blossoming and hes got a crappy 2 cents..waa brooklyn waa management we all know wang is a dictator and runs the team that way but snow has done a good job in the drafts and waiver wire and wang wont spend money until were a playoff threat and have a decent arena so get over it braa, when were in 4th place in the east at the trade deadline ull see the bucks spent

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 02-10-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Everyone is entitled to post their opinions about the club. Use the ignore feature if you don't want to read someones posts
2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Wanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Dude, How's your eye?
Not good at all at the moment. Got a black eye. Can't see 100% yet.

Anyway, ofcourse PAP fits here. And it seems like every player gets a real chance here. Just look at Wallace. And yes, I think he was pretty good last night. Some good hits, and he is working very hard.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:05 AM
steveat

You know....we need to give PA a chance on this team...we gave him a chance and he put up some numbers...of course he had his weaknesses, which is why he was drafted so late and took a long time to make it to this level. Now, compare last year with this year...he yet again improved. no offence, but the guy is obviously working on his game and so far is improving every year at every level.

I think he has a higher compete level than everyone realizes. I say keep him instead of taking a chance to trade him and maybe end of with a "Gomez" type player where you think he is good, then just turns himself off.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:03 AM
okie21

Quote:
I really can't expect an FA who is in their late 20s to want to go join a team that hasn't won a playoff series since they were in 2nd grade. Player in this league don't play forever, and any chance they can get to poistion themselves to have a better chance at having their name forever ingraved in the Stanley Cup is not something I can hold against any one.

Where I put the lame is squarely on our ownership. Wang runs a circus. 1/4 of our payroll is basically Rolston and DP, I mean, come on now. I respect and love JT for signing here long term. His contract will also run out when he's around 28 and I'm sure if this teams still a joke he's not gonna stay here but go sign on with a team who gives him a chance to win. Don't hate the player, hate the Wang.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
I really can't expect an FA who is in their late 20s to want to go join a team that hasn't won a playoff series since they were in 2nd grade. Player in this league don't play forever, and any chance they can get to poistion themselves to have a better chance at having their name forever ingraved in the Stanley Cup is not something I can hold against any one.

Where I put the lame is squarely on our ownership. Wang runs a circus. 1/4 of our payroll is basically Rolston and DP, I mean, come on now. I respect and love JT for signing here long term. His contract will also run out when he's around 28 and I'm sure if this teams still a joke he's not gonna stay here but go sign on with a team who gives him a chance to win. Don't hate the player, hate the Wang.
i agree with this post. i don't hate on specific players (other than muller and hunter, and maybe a few others like these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNjntNHHUs0 ). if anything, i have bigtime respect for the JT's of the world who want to see this turnaround through.

wang has gone from a savior to an impediment in the decade or so that he's been here, so i'm disappointed (to put it mildly) about that. the first 6 years he spent money in a sometimes wasteful fashion, and now he won't spend the cap floor honestly. i was happy about the hammer, aucoin, peca and osgood trades/signings, but the DP and Yashin debacles are legendarily bad.... he just won't do things- and won't allow others to do things- the right way. what can i say? he's screwed us (fans) with bad contracts and is now making us pay for a sub-standard product. i do think he's been lied to about the land development situation, so i can't fault him completely, but he's a grownass man. put a decent product on the ice and make good decisions.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
i agree with this post. i don't hate on specific players (other than muller and hunter, and maybe a few others like these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNjntNHHUs0 ). if anything, i have bigtime respect for the JT's of the world who want to see this turnaround through.

wang has gone from a savior to an impediment in the decade or so that he's been here, so i'm disappointed (to put it mildly) about that. the first 6 years he spent money in a sometimes wasteful fashion, and now he won't spend the cap floor honestly. i was happy about the hammer, aucoin, peca and osgood trades/signings, but the DP and Yashin debacles are legendarily bad.... he just won't do things- and won't allow others to do things- the right way. what can i say? he's screwed us (fans) with bad contracts and is now making us pay for a sub-standard product. i do think he's been lied to about the land development situation, so i can't fault him completely, but he's a grownass man. put a decent product on the ice and make good decisions.
Anyone can argue this point all they want, Wang is not spending money due to the uncertainty with the arena situation. Period, end of story. Until that gets sorted out, look for Wang to be as cheap as possible.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:42 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post

That's almost exactly how I feel too. I get the "I was wronged" part of his frustration, and as much as I beat him up in here I still support him vs. Nassau, the pols, etc., and always will. What I can not excuse is his using his personal mistakes like Yashin and DiPietro to hold the team back from even making the cap floor. That is ethically bankrupt, and his lies about wanting to make the playoffs and that Garth is free to spend as much as he wants to produce a winner paints a character portrait that is unflattering, to put it mildly. The guy could at least ice even a salary floor team without including his contractual & egotistical fubars. He won't, and it is wrong. Just watching the way his CBA cap limit violating roster impedes and damages the kids growing on the club is disgusting.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:41 PM
MTK

ESPN thinks he is a good fit. That means we should get rid of him which I am all for trading PAP.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:32 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post

I agree. Smyth never wanted to go to the Islanders-but when he was traded his was the hardest working Islander in his short stint. Not to mention without him-we wouldn't have made the playoffs. He was a professional and played out his contract to the best of his ability. He also helped up sign Guerin by telling him the Isles was a good organization (sometimes people forget that).

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
That's almost exactly how I feel too. I get the "I was wronged" part of his frustration, and as much as I beat him up in here I still support him vs. Nassau, the pols, etc., and always will. What I can not excuse is his using his personal mistakes like Yashin and DiPietro to hold the team back from even making the cap floor. That is ethically bankrupt, and his lies about wanting to make the playoffs and that Garth is free to spend as much as he wants to produce a winner paints a character portrait that is unflattering, to put it mildly. The guy could at least ice even a salary floor team without including his contractual & egotistical fubars. He won't, and it is wrong. Just watching the way his CBA cap limit violating roster impedes and damages the kids growing on the club is disgusting.
amen

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 03:37 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Anyone can argue this point all they want, Wang is not spending money due to the uncertainty with the arena situation. Period, end of story. Until that gets sorted out, look for Wang to be as cheap as possible.
Which is brilliant.

In business, "I need money."

"For what?"

"this."

A hah.....door's that way. So go cheap to get an arena for......and you want us to foo the bill? If he hired a GM to replace Milbury and built a winner, would we even be talking about relocation or arenas now? How about making a team worth saving, the schmuck.

I hope the rebuild sees some real talent this summer so the team becomes worth saving by 2014. Tavares, Moulson, Hamonic, Martin and the prospects who look so promising, the County and taxpayer don't see it. The fans aren't gonna pay for Eaton and Mottau and Reasoner/Rolston. I won't. The time is ticking, so it he has any brains left, he'll make some noise and show the team is worth, no, VERY WORTH having around. And the fun part: he HAS to pack the house. That arena has to fill up as much as humanly possible to sell the idea that the team can be worth keeping after two decades of abject neglect.

For the record, I still won't pay one cent to see them. Wang won't compete or allow this team to. Maybe he will.....or maybe they'll just move and suck elsewhere.

His choice.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Which is brilliant.

In business, "I need money."

"For what?"

"this."

A hah.....door's that way. So go cheap to get an arena for......and you want us to foo the bill? If he hired a GM to replace Milbury and built a winner, would we even be talking about relocation or arenas now? How about making a team worth saving, the schmuck.

I hope the rebuild sees some real talent this summer so the team becomes worth saving by 2014. Tavares, Moulson, Hamonic, Martin and the prospects who look so promising, the County and taxpayer don't see it. The fans aren't gonna pay for Eaton and Mottau and Reasoner/Rolston. I won't. The time is ticking, so it he has any brains left, he'll make some noise and show the team is worth, no, VERY WORTH having around. And the fun part: he HAS to pack the house. That arena has to fill up as much as humanly possible to sell the idea that the team can be worth keeping after two decades of abject neglect.

For the record, I still won't pay one cent to see them. Wang won't compete or allow this team to. Maybe he will.....or maybe they'll just move and suck elsewhere.

His choice.
You totally miss the point. Wang is not being cheap to get the arena. Wang is being cheap because of the uncertainty of not having a building to play in 2015. Being cheap will also allow him to bail if nothing comes to life also. Crappy position we as fans are in, but this is a business and unfortunately we're suffering because of it. Had a new building already been approved, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Please resign this guy.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote