HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If/When Markov returns, who protects him?

Old
02-11-2012, 07:54 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

vCash: 500
Markov has to protect Markov. That's already been said though. I suppose his game is mostly mental but I still hold reservations about what his decision making will be when he sees he's about to get run.

I choose not to set myself up for disappointment. If he gets 10 so so games under his belt this year I will consider THAT a major accomplishment because he hasn't played more than 26 consecutive in the last four years I think.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Harry Wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
No one.

The Bruins will be sure to run him every chance they get. So will any other team with a smart coach.

Open season on Andrei.
I agree that he will get tested repeatedly.We don't need a goon. We just need someone who plays with an edge and can make the opposition play with their heads up.

Somebody mentioned Tinordi which would be great if he was ready. Don't really know who else is out there who could fill in for a year or two if Markov can come back.

Harry Wong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:04 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

It really makes sense that they paired Emelin with Kaberle (a slightly similar player to Markov) as a RD in order to groom him to become Markov's partner.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Bullsmith

The same guys who are protecting Price and Subban. Crickets.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:13 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
holy sheeeit. He can't speak french...but he CAN fight!

however funny how he pegs tiny little naslund a couple of times
Yeah, I watched that video and chuckled. He was a man possessed.

And seeing how he has only one or two players on the team willing to drop the gloves, it is clear that he has ZERO influence on bringing in the players he would like to have on his team (eg Schultz or Henry).

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:19 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Markov has to protect Markov. That's already been said though. I suppose his game is mostly mental but I still hold reservations about what his decision making will be when he sees he's about to get run.

I choose not to set myself up for disappointment. If he gets 10 so so games under his belt this year I will consider THAT a major accomplishment because he hasn't played more than 26 consecutive in the last four years I think.
I agree that each and every player in the end have to ensure their self preservation so to speak.

The bigger issue is that there is not a single team that respects the Montreal Canadiens. They can dish whatever they want out to whomever they want and nothing will happen. Liberties are very easy to take against the Habs.

The Bruins, on the other hand, are a team that is greatly respected. Sure, their players get run but when they do, they know that they will have to fight immediately after the hit. The Bruins play hockey the way its supposed to be played. And that is what pisses me off the most because of my intense dislike for the Bruins organization (fans especially) and the majority of their players.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Gally11

We're not necessarily on every teams radar right now I don't think that if Markov comes back that teams really have an incentive to take runs at him .. Even the Boston games so far this season have been significantly less chippy than in years past as there hasn't been any real divisional significance to them.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
People tend to be pessimistic not because they actually believe the **** they're saying, but because when reality doesn't meet the dire prediction they foretold, aqll they can be is happily surprised by it. If by chance worst comes to worst, then so be it, they predicted it, they expected it, they are not at all disappointed by it and they get to say "I told you so" and is there anything more fun than that? For example, if you left the house everyday expecting to be ***** by a bear and at the end of the day it didn't happen, I'd imagine you'd be a pretty happy individual. You can't really blame them for being pessimistic, after all, it's easier.

Now that I got that out of the way. I think Markov will be back and will be just as good as ever. His game wasn't based on speed, it was based on smarts and last I checked, he didn't suffer a brain injury so this game should be just fine. Plenty of good players have suffered the exact same injury and have been just fine, the NHL's leading scorer suffered one, Gorges suffered two, hell, Wizniewski had to deal with three and a lot of people wanted to sign him instead of Markov. I don't think he needs a protector other than himself, he just needs to avoid the hits ala Subban. His two injuries were just poor luck, and I seriously doubt he'll suffer a third one
Amazing post!!! 100% agree

Montreal4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:55 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Ridiculous thread. You don't get a goon so your defenseman doesn't have to go into corners. He has to protect himself and get hit and hope his knee holds up. The last two plays that caused injury weren't exactly dirty, just clean hits that caught his knee funny.

Bigger point: Who the **** would make any forechecker decide not to hit a defenseman when going into the corner?
Absolutely right !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Pleky Roks

Markov is the only guy that can protect Markov....and the coaching staff as well.

They need to watch Markov's icetime. Give him time on the bottom pairing...play him 12-15 minutes a game....give him the odd powerplay to play on and protect him as much as possible for the rest of this season....if he comes back this season. If he doesn't come back til next season....thats even better because he can build the strength back in his knee and legs without fear of getting hurt.

He's signed for 2 more seasons after this one and it would be nice to get the most out of him for those 2 seasons. Be easy on him this season and give him a little icetime to get back into game shape and get a feeling for the game again.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Lemons

If markov comes back 100%, considering all the factors and what he brings to a team the only defencemen better than him are Lidstrom, Chara, Weber, Karlsson (His point production is just too insane to dismiss), and maybe duncan keith. Dont see anybody else touching him.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:09 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Ridiculous thread. You don't get a goon so your defenseman doesn't have to go into corners. He has to protect himself and get hit and hope his knee holds up. The last two plays that caused injury weren't exactly dirty, just clean hits that caught his knee funny.

Bigger point: Who the **** would make any forechecker decide not to hit a defenseman when going into the corner?
This.

If I remember well, the only questionable hit was Grabovsky's hit.

Do we seriously need someone to protect Markov from Grabovsky???

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
This.

If I remember well, the only questionable hit was Grabovsky's hit.

Do we seriously need someone to protect Markov from Grabovsky???
To be honest, if some dumb punk is going to hit markov with a questionable hit, yeah, i would expect someone to rub his nose in the ***** he left

Montreal4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:45 PM
DrunkenHabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Emelin is a pretty likely candidate for Markov's partner this year if/when he's back.
Yup, let Subban with Gorges and tell him to look at what Markov does on the ice when he's on the bench. Emelin/Markov is the perfect match as far as I'm concerned.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
Yup, let Subban with Gorges and tell him to look at what Markov does on the ice when he's on the bench. Emelin/Markov is the perfect match as far as I'm concerned.
I'd actually pair Markov with PK because it would probably increase the Habs' scoring chances dramatically. This would require bringing in 1 or 2 more D depending on how PG views having Kaberle and Markov in the same squad. Pair Gorges with another shutdown Dman, and you have a terrific offensive D pairing and a terrific defensive D pairing. Then the 3rd unit would be Emelin and another shutdown D or a puck mover. You could go either way, if you play them against opposing 3rd lines.

2 guys I'd look at if they became available for UFA, Garrison on FLA and Grossman on Dallas. Neither guy should command more than 3m on the open market and Garrison would fill the PP point shot need, and Grossman is a big, physical dman, who can play tough mins, block shots, hit, kill penalties.

Markov PK
Grossman Gorges
Garrison Emelin

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 04:05 PM
kassian

How does one stops another one from taking a run at Markov? Does he, like, automatically teleports to the position between Markie and an opponent who's lining up a hit? Don't get it.
It sure did stop Jody Shelley from introducing McQuaid's head to Mr. Boards (y halo thar sir) with Lucic on the ice, though, along with Chara and company lurking on the bench.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post

It's 27 (the last 19 games of the 09-10 season + the first 8 playoff games), in the last two years and 10 months (back to April 2009).. make it 3 years, althoug he did it twice while only missing two games in between. the last one being against the Pens game #1 when he got his first major knee injury. The actual reality is that he had played 53 of the Habs last 55 games until that damn game #1 against the Pens, because he missed our double-header against Philly in mid-february (first Subban call-up). The 26 games you are talking about are the ones before the Philly double header. The season before that, Markov played 78 games in a row until the end of the season in April (09), first minor knee injury (3 weeks est.). The season before that, he played 82.

If you count back 3 actual years, Markov was playing the second half of those 78games.

If we refer to his knee surgeries, we're talking about less than 2 years (April 2010).

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:13 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
I'd actually pair Markov with PK because it would probably increase the Habs' scoring chances dramatically. This would require bringing in 1 or 2 more D depending on how PG views having Kaberle and Markov in the same squad. Pair Gorges with another shutdown Dman, and you have a terrific offensive D pairing and a terrific defensive D pairing. Then the 3rd unit would be Emelin and another shutdown D or a puck mover. You could go either way, if you play them against opposing 3rd lines.

2 guys I'd look at if they became available for UFA, Garrison on FLA and Grossman on Dallas. Neither guy should command more than 3m on the open market and Garrison would fill the PP point shot need, and Grossman is a big, physical dman, who can play tough mins, block shots, hit, kill penalties.

Markov PK
Grossman Gorges
Garrison Emelin
Markov needs to be paired with a defensive D so he has the confidence that when he pinches at the blue line or when he joins the rush his back is covered. Last thing I want is Markov having to stay back because the other D is always moving up.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote