HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would you give up for Nathan MacKinnon?

Old
06-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Zhamnov10

vCash: 500
What would you give up for Nathan MacKinnon?

Taking into consideration the avalanches needs what would you be willing to give up for Nathan MacKinnon at the draft.I know people will say we don't have the depth but I still think it's worth a shot.

Dustin Byfuglien,Mark Stuart + 2013 1st + 2013 2nd.
Or
Dustin Byfuglien,Alexander Burmistrov + 2013 1st

Colorado would have to be planning on moving Stastny to make the 2nd work for them.

We would be freeing up even more money allowing us more freedom to sign or trade for players to fill our required holes in our lineup.I really like MacKinnon because he seems like the type of player who could excel on the RW until he is ready to take on playing Centre full time.

Last edited by Zhamnov10: 06-19-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Zhamnov10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:18 AM
truck
HFB Partner

I don't think the Jets are in a position to trade up that high.

Their roster and system depth are both terrible. Gutting either one for MacKinnon puts them where the Oilers were 2-3 years ago.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:20 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov10 View Post
Taking into consideration the avalanches needs what would you be willing to give up for Nathan MacKinnon at the draft.I know people will say we don't have the depth but I still think it's worth a shot.

Dustin Byfuglien,Mark Stuart + 2013 1st + 2013 2nd.
Or
Dustin Byfuglien,Alexander Burmistrov + 2013 1st

Colorado would have to be planning on moving Stastny to make the 2nd work for them.

We would be freeing up even more money allowing us more freedom to sign or trade for players to fill our required holes in our lineup.I really like MacKinnon because he seems like the type of player who could excel on the RW until he is ready to take on playing Centre full time.

Those packages are not going to get you Nathan MacKinnon, yes the Avalanche need Defence but it would take Zach Bogosian or Jacob Trouba in a package that includes the 2013 1 st round, Zach Bogosian, Alexander Burmistrov or Jacob Trouba. Byfuglien and/or Stuart aren't going get MacKinnon. In other words gut the team.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Those packages are not going to get you Nathan MacKinnon, yes the Avalanche need Defence but it would take Zach Bogosian or Jacob Trouba in a package that includes the 2013 1 st round, Zach Bogosian, Alexander Burmistrov or Jacob Trouba. Byfuglien and/or Stuart aren't going get MacKinnon. In other words gut the team.
Exactly. Any deal for Colorado's 1st would have to involve Bogosian, Kane or Trouba as the main piece going their way.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:36 AM
koth

vCash: 883
I would rather have Bogosian, Trouba, and Kane as well as the #13 pick over MacKinnon.

koth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
More than any of us would be willing to pay for sure

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:58 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

I'd give up Kane straight up.

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Scheifele55

McKinnon > Kane.

If I was Colorado I would:

Kane/Trouba for 1st pick overall. It would give the team a very good forward and Trouba would definitely replace one of the defensemen Colorada has.

Being that Winnipeg is one of the thinnest for prospect depth such a trade is not realistic. Such prospect of moving up to #1 should be reserved for the deepest of franchises or teams in the top 4 that want a certain player.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Gabriel Landeskog

Those packages wouldn't come close to obtaining the pick. Winnipeg isn't in a position to trade up for the pick.

Gabriel Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:44 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog View Post
Those packages wouldn't come close to obtaining the pick. Winnipeg isn't in a position to trade up for the pick.
Yup. I am at odds with this thread. I realise that it's hypothetically speaking and what the Jets would be willing to give up to trade up to that spot, but there are no realistic trade packages from the Jets that would entice the Avs to give up 1st overall.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

there's a reason why the worst team in the league is most likely to get the first pick.

the cost to get mckinnon would be enough to make us one of the worst teams in the league (but + one mckinnon)

not a reasonable move for where this franchise is.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1458
Would love MacKinnon, but I generally don't like gutting a team for one player. Call me a homer if you want, but I would be extremely hesitant to deal Trouba for that pick. I certainly wouldn't deal Trouba and a big +. MacKinnon and Trouba could be Stamkos / Weber, and both of those players are franchise quality.

Kane could be a possibility due to the winger / centre issue, but not with much of a plus.

On another note, IF the Avs do take a forward (let's say a C, either MacKinnon or Barkov), I would be interested in Stastny. General HF notion of him coming with an extension, etc.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 01:08 PM
buggs

Can the Avs take one (or more) of our players with a $5 million plus contract given the cap? I was under the impression they're unlikely to re-sign Statsny thanks to the ROR deal.

I'd like to get MacKinnon on the Jets, I wouldn't like the price.

buggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog View Post
Rene Lavoie was just on the radio and said Colorado would consider a trade for Kris Letang straight up for 1st overall.I think Buff,8th overall prospect,and 13th overall in a deep draft are better than Letang but that is just my opinion.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:32 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Rene Lavoie was just on the radio and said Colorado would consider a trade for Kris Letang straight up for 1st overall.I think Buff,8th overall prospect,and 13th overall in a deep draft are better than Letang but that is just my opinion.
Ok. If I were a fan of a team with the first overall pick, with the potential to become a franchise player, I would gather up my pitchforks and torches and storm my team's offices if they wanted to trade our 1st overall for ****ing Kris Letang and their 1st.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Gm0ney

Did Colorado say they want to trade down or just that they're not taking Jones?

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:24 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Did Colorado say they want to trade down or just that they're not taking Jones?
They said both. They were willing to listen to offers for the 1st overall, and that they were going to take MacKinnon with their pick. I think that they are trying to force Florida's hand to see how much they want MacKinnon.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Zhamnov10

I actually heard they were really high on Drouin?

Old
06-19-2013, 02:33 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
I actually heard they were really high on Drouin?
Tampa then. *shrugs*

Old
06-19-2013, 03:42 PM
meedle

Drouin makes more sense just because I'm not so sure they really need another center

meedle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:46 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

The article actually said they were leaning towards any of the 3: Barkov, MacKinnon or Drouin.
They never said which one is #1, just that they would take any of those 3 over Jones.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:51 PM
GoldenJet89

How about a little twist:

Buff, Burmi, 1st (13), 2nd
for
3rd overall (TB), Eric Brewer (LHD)

Logic:

The value of Drouin is only very slightly lower than Mac or Jones IMO (plus mac or jones could fall to 3rd). It will take a lot to get him. That being said, it sounds like Tampa may be open to offers. Im not sure if they would like our offer. But I think a top 2 Offensive Dman, a decent young prospect, and a mid-first gets us close, maybe not all the way there but close.

Brewer helps ease the pain of losing Hainsey, or could replace Stuart. Not a bigtime player anymore, but sturdy veteran guy. A second round pick probably acquires him. (may be a slight overpayment, but combined with factors above).

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Bob E

If the Avs do move the 1st pick, they want to remain in the top 3.

Therefore, a trade with Florida or Tampa to get to #2 or #3 first, would need to be in the equation, imo.

Would Florida move #2, assuming 'their guy' may be gone (Mackinnon) for Buff, Burmi and #13? Can't see it. Does TBay make that deal? Likely not.

Would Florida or Tbay move their pick for Kane? Would they see Kane>Drouin or Barkov or Jones? I do, personally. Maybe they would too. A young, 'established' goal scoring winger, who they could market in Florida. So Kane might get you #2 or #3, straight up.

With #2 or #3 in hand, you would have to give up that pick, plus #13, and maybe something else (future picks or prospects, not named Scheifele, Trouba or Lowry). So its Kane+#13+? for 1st overall and chance to draft MacKinnon.

I'm not sure MacKinnon>Kane+#13+? As much as I like MacKinnon, Kane has the potential to be a physical, speedy, 40 goal scorer (same as MacKinnon), so your giving up #13 for really nothing, imo.

With my homer glasses firmly on, I would not want to move Bogo or Trouba in a deal, either.
Now if you could get MacKinnon, without giving up Kane, Bogo, Trouba, Scheifele, and #13, I would definitely do it. Hell, I would even include Scheifele.

Moving Buff (or Enstrom), Burmi, or 1st round pick in 2014, in a package for #1 does not significantly gut the team, imo. But you would never get the #1 pick without including a Kane, Bogo, Trouba, etc in a deal.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:14 PM
surixon

How good is Mackinnon really? While I like the player I think he's starting to get a little overatted. When I see him play I see a player who relies on equal parts of skill and grit and while he's certainly talented I don't see the same level of pure skill that guys like Hall, Taveras and Stamkos had at the same age. I feel that he's more likely to turn into a Richards/ Duchene type of player than a Hall/Ta aras type which is good but certainly something i wouldn't want to mortgage the farm for.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
They said both. They were willing to listen to offers for the 1st overall, and that they were going to take MacKinnon with their pick. I think that they are trying to force Florida's hand to see how much they want MacKinnon.
Bingo.

Sakic is doing this with a purpose, there's no question. He's creating a trade market for that #1 overall, one that likely wouldn't exist if he stated they were planning on taking Jones.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote