HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

$#*! My 1290 Says (Formerly The First Annual Rick Ralph Roast)

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hojetron View Post
How can you not love the Red Cardigan Reporter??? Really it was a legit question. When was the last time a crowd "serenaded" a visiting head coach? Probably never. So why not ask for his thoughts? Eric Staal was asked what he thought of the "Jordan's better" chant and Sid was also questioned about WPG fan chants . . . so it's all good IMO.
Apparently we all must fear and respect Torts...because...TSN has a hard-on for him I guess?

Old
03-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Liebel is Winnipeg's biggest troll

I found Tortorella's response funny, but it was a stupid question to ask.
It could have been phrased better. Instead of "What do you think of the fans chant" or whatever was asked, could have asked "Why do you think you were singled out by Jets fans for catcalling?" or something else.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
Totall Troll move lol... If he was a real reporter you wouldnt ask that or it would be the last question u ever got to ask him
It was a question that a lot of fans wanted a response to on both sides.
If it is a question that the fans want asked and it isn't inappropriate then I ink it is a reporters responsibility to ask the question rather than ignore it to keep the peace.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:48 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

I think it's ******** that A> Tortorella's handler can pick and choose what he answers, and B> Tortorella shouldn't be expected to answer that question.

For the love of God, have they forgotten what this is all about? It's bloody entertainment ffs! It's not like someone was asking personal or team - sensitive information. Answer the damned question, the FANS aka the people who employ ALL OF YOU CLOWNS want to know.

03-16-2013, 10:27 AM
RalphyTSN1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
It was a question that a lot of fans wanted a response to on both sides.
If it is a question that the fans want asked and it isn't inappropriate then I ink it is a reporters responsibility to ask the question rather than ignore it to keep the peace.
Why would the fans want the question asked? Do they need approval or recognition? That chant was excellent, and I think it defines the fans here, but do it and don't worry about what others think. Furthermore it has nothing to do with the game itself. It has a lot to do with the fan's experience of the game though! Asking players about it, you may get a response. If a game is out of hand either side may hear such, but in a close game, likely not.

Matt is a great guy. Let's take Matt out of the equation.

A person who doesn't attend media conferences or post game availability shows up with one loaded question on a specific night. No other questions are asked by the reporter and then wham. How is that perceived? It can come across as a stunt? Is there an agenda to the question? Based on the subject, I would guess it's to get a response. Poke the bear even. What about asking the coach about a fight in the stands? What they thought of the kiss cam?

Food for thought on a Saturday. Cheers all.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:06 AM
NODLR
The Dog House

vCash: 148
Question: John, do you think the crowd can get into the psyche of a player and possibly throw him off of his game, maybe get him thinking of something else other than the play on the ice?

Follow up. (Depending on the answer)

Question: Would that also hold true for the coaches and staff?

Old
03-16-2013, 11:09 AM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyTSN1290 View Post
Why would the fans want the question asked? Do they need approval or recognition? That chant was excellent, and I think it defines the fans here, but do it and don't worry about what others think. Furthermore it has nothing to do with the game itself. It has a lot to do with the fan's experience of the game though! Asking players about it, you may get a response. If a game is out of hand either side may hear such, but in a close game, likely not.

Matt is a great guy. Let's take Matt out of the equation.

A person who doesn't attend media conferences or post game availability shows up with one loaded question on a specific night. No other questions are asked by the reporter and then wham. How is that perceived? It can come across as a stunt? Is there an agenda to the question? Based on the subject, I would guess it's to get a response. Poke the bear even. What about asking the coach about a fight in the stands? What they thought of the kiss cam?

Food for thought on a Saturday. Cheers all.
I am so glad you said this. Agreed 100%

Old
03-16-2013, 02:23 PM
SensibleGuy

LOL, this isn't watergate we're talking about here. It was a humorous toss-off question right at the end of a coaches scrum. No need to make a federal case out of it. I certainly don't need to know what Tort's thought of the chant. It just ended up being sorta funny. Frankly, I'm tired of every media member constantly asking every opposing player and coach what they think of our crowd.

In the end, the chants don't have much impact one way or the other on what happens on the ice. They do however impact the atmosphere of the arena and give a sense of the level of involvment and interest of the crowd though.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:50 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Rick Ralph quote:

"HFboards the "dark place of the internet""

Old
05-01-2013, 04:27 PM
SensibleGuy

Ricks a "funny" guy. He's strangely out of touch in a lot of ways - really doesn't seem to grok the zeitgeist of these here forums and such...

Really loves to call Grant Clitsome "New Guy" though.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Rick Ralph quote:

Yeah I heard that. Wasn't a fan of people ragging on Lawless. For whatever reason he thinks the fact it is "anonymous" that people on the Internet are cowards. What else are you supposed to do, write a letter to the editor?

For the record, I would gladly tell Gary Lawless what I think of the trends in MSM journalism and his style in particular. If such a forum existed. With a name tag.

All in all I still like Ralph. Seems like a good guy. I just think he's not predisposed to ripping people without having to "answer for it" or whatever.

We need to clone Ed Tait and Paul Wiecek, and send 25 of them to the rest of Canada to replace the blowhards aka "opinion columnists" that every good fan in Canada has to put up with.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:57 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Rick Ralph quote:

We must never tell him of 4chan.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
We must never tell him of 4chan.
HF boards is the most moderated hockey forum I have found

and it is better for it

Old
05-01-2013, 07:23 PM
maximus tacitus
KeepKane and CarryIn

"put skate on head"

Old
05-01-2013, 09:14 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
HF boards is the most moderated hockey forum I have found

and it is better for it
Actually HFBoards is the most heavily moderated of any forum period.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:08 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Actually HFBoards is the most heavily moderated of any forum period.
You'd be surprised.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
We need to clone Ed Tait and Paul Wiecek...
It's funny. I read this Tait column this morning, and thought that if someone screwed up and threw Gary Lawless' name at the top of the article, people would be complaining that it's a fluff crap piece.

No disrespect to Tait. I like his stuff, but I don't see the big issue with Gary's articles either.

I'd seriously love to see Lawless write every third article under a pen name and see if anyone flips out.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:29 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
It's funny. I read this Tait column this morning, and thought that if someone screwed up and threw Gary Lawless' name at the top of the article, people would be complaining that it's a fluff crap piece.

No disrespect to Tait. I like his stuff, but I don't see the big issue with Gary's articles either.

I'd seriously love to see Lawless write every third article under a pen name and see if anyone flips out.
The article mentions Yuen ready to turn pro. Has he been signed to an ELC?

Old
05-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The article mentions Yuen ready to turn pro. Has he been signed to an ELC?
Who knows - but if Lawless wrote that he was ready to turn pro and didn't back it up, people would be out with pitchforks threatening to burn his house down for not doing his job.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:26 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Who knows - but if Lawless wrote that he was ready to turn pro and didn't back it up, people would be out with pitchforks threatening to burn his house down for not doing his job.
What? Yeah, anyone who dislikes Lawless is an irrational moron.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:47 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:

I thought Ed's article was pretty restrained with allot of direct quotes. I realize he mentioned Yuen was ready to turn pro but other than that slip I think he did a decent job. Not sure if that one blunder would have drew the ire of the legions of Lawless haters. Its not like every article Gary writes gets trolled.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:58 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I thought Ed's article was pretty restrained with allot of direct quotes. I realize he mentioned Yuen was ready to turn pro but other than that slip I think he did a decent job. Not sure if that one blunder would have drew the ire of the legions of Lawless haters. Its not like every article Gary writes gets trolled.
...but Yuen is ready to turn pro. I'm fairly certain he will be with the Caps next season.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
also comparing one sort of off hand remark, which clearly wasn't the crux of the article to some of gary's wherein the entire pretense of his diatrab is based off his one assumption/opinion is pretty different.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

Did anyone hear the opinion on the Radio today that they would take pavlec over Schneider as a goalie

Am I insane? what is everyone elses opinion

Old
05-08-2013, 08:32 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Did anyone hear the opinion on the Radio today that they would take pavlec over Schneider as a goalie

Am I insane? what is everyone elses opinion
Do you recall who's opinion that was Tom?

Closed Thread