HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

$#*! My 1290 Says (Formerly The First Annual Rick Ralph Roast)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2013, 03:52 PM
  #251
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hojetron View Post
How can you not love the Red Cardigan Reporter??? Really it was a legit question. When was the last time a crowd "serenaded" a visiting head coach? Probably never. So why not ask for his thoughts? Eric Staal was asked what he thought of the "Jordan's better" chant and Sid was also questioned about WPG fan chants . . . so it's all good IMO.
Apparently we all must fear and respect Torts...because...TSN has a hard-on for him I guess?

Gm0ney is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 06:30 PM
  #252
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO
 
Reed Solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Man.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Liebel is Winnipeg's biggest troll

I found Tortorella's response funny, but it was a stupid question to ask.
It could have been phrased better. Instead of "What do you think of the fans chant" or whatever was asked, could have asked "Why do you think you were singled out by Jets fans for catcalling?" or something else.

Reed Solomon is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 06:38 PM
  #253
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,166
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
Totall Troll move lol... If he was a real reporter you wouldnt ask that or it would be the last question u ever got to ask him
It was a question that a lot of fans wanted a response to on both sides.
If it is a question that the fans want asked and it isn't inappropriate then I ink it is a reporters responsibility to ask the question rather than ignore it to keep the peace.

Gnova is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 11:48 PM
  #254
Jet
Moderator
Big Ben
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,246
vCash: 50
I think it's ******** that A> Tortorella's handler can pick and choose what he answers, and B> Tortorella shouldn't be expected to answer that question.

For the love of God, have they forgotten what this is all about? It's bloody entertainment ffs! It's not like someone was asking personal or team - sensitive information. Answer the damned question, the FANS aka the people who employ ALL OF YOU CLOWNS want to know.

__________________
Go Jets Go!
Jet is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 10:27 AM
  #255
RalphyTSN1290
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
It was a question that a lot of fans wanted a response to on both sides.
If it is a question that the fans want asked and it isn't inappropriate then I ink it is a reporters responsibility to ask the question rather than ignore it to keep the peace.
Why would the fans want the question asked? Do they need approval or recognition? That chant was excellent, and I think it defines the fans here, but do it and don't worry about what others think. Furthermore it has nothing to do with the game itself. It has a lot to do with the fan's experience of the game though! Asking players about it, you may get a response. If a game is out of hand either side may hear such, but in a close game, likely not.

Matt is a great guy. Let's take Matt out of the equation.

A person who doesn't attend media conferences or post game availability shows up with one loaded question on a specific night. No other questions are asked by the reporter and then wham. How is that perceived? It can come across as a stunt? Is there an agenda to the question? Based on the subject, I would guess it's to get a response. Poke the bear even. What about asking the coach about a fight in the stands? What they thought of the kiss cam?

Food for thought on a Saturday. Cheers all.

RalphyTSN1290 is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 11:06 AM
  #256
NODLR
The Dog House
 
NODLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 50
Question: John, do you think the crowd can get into the psyche of a player and possibly throw him off of his game, maybe get him thinking of something else other than the play on the ice?

Follow up. (Depending on the answer)

Question: Would that also hold true for the coaches and staff?

NODLR is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 11:09 AM
  #257
PaperRockChamp
Registered User
 
PaperRockChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wpg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyTSN1290 View Post
Why would the fans want the question asked? Do they need approval or recognition? That chant was excellent, and I think it defines the fans here, but do it and don't worry about what others think. Furthermore it has nothing to do with the game itself. It has a lot to do with the fan's experience of the game though! Asking players about it, you may get a response. If a game is out of hand either side may hear such, but in a close game, likely not.

Matt is a great guy. Let's take Matt out of the equation.

A person who doesn't attend media conferences or post game availability shows up with one loaded question on a specific night. No other questions are asked by the reporter and then wham. How is that perceived? It can come across as a stunt? Is there an agenda to the question? Based on the subject, I would guess it's to get a response. Poke the bear even. What about asking the coach about a fight in the stands? What they thought of the kiss cam?

Food for thought on a Saturday. Cheers all.
I am so glad you said this. Agreed 100%

PaperRockChamp is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 02:23 PM
  #258
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
SensibleGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,002
vCash: 500
LOL, this isn't watergate we're talking about here. It was a humorous toss-off question right at the end of a coaches scrum. No need to make a federal case out of it. I certainly don't need to know what Tort's thought of the chant. It just ended up being sorta funny. Frankly, I'm tired of every media member constantly asking every opposing player and coach what they think of our crowd.

In the end, the chants don't have much impact one way or the other on what happens on the ice. They do however impact the atmosphere of the arena and give a sense of the level of involvment and interest of the crowd though.

SensibleGuy is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 03:50 PM
  #259
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,963
vCash: 50
Rick Ralph quote:

"HFboards the "dark place of the internet""

sipowicz is online now  
Old
05-01-2013, 04:27 PM
  #260
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
SensibleGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,002
vCash: 500
Ricks a "funny" guy. He's strangely out of touch in a lot of ways - really doesn't seem to grok the zeitgeist of these here forums and such...

Really loves to call Grant Clitsome "New Guy" though.

SensibleGuy is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 04:50 PM
  #261
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,059
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Rick Ralph quote:

"HFboards the "dark place of the internet""
Yeah I heard that. Wasn't a fan of people ragging on Lawless. For whatever reason he thinks the fact it is "anonymous" that people on the Internet are cowards. What else are you supposed to do, write a letter to the editor?

For the record, I would gladly tell Gary Lawless what I think of the trends in MSM journalism and his style in particular. If such a forum existed. With a name tag.

All in all I still like Ralph. Seems like a good guy. I just think he's not predisposed to ripping people without having to "answer for it" or whatever.

We need to clone Ed Tait and Paul Wiecek, and send 25 of them to the rest of Canada to replace the blowhards aka "opinion columnists" that every good fan in Canada has to put up with.

Flair Hay is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 04:57 PM
  #262
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,261
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Rick Ralph quote:

"HFboards the "dark place of the internet""
We must never tell him of 4chan.

DespoticNewt is online now  
Old
05-01-2013, 04:59 PM
  #263
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lightning Fast VCR
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,133
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
We must never tell him of 4chan.
HF boards is the most moderated hockey forum I have found

and it is better for it

Tom ServoMST3K is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 07:23 PM
  #264
Mathmew Purrrr Oh
#meowmeowmeowmeow
 
Mathmew Purrrr Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: meow
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 50
"put skate on head"

Mathmew Purrrr Oh is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:14 PM
  #265
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,963
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
HF boards is the most moderated hockey forum I have found

and it is better for it
Actually HFBoards is the most heavily moderated of any forum period.

sipowicz is online now  
Old
05-02-2013, 04:08 AM
  #266
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW
 
Concordski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Actually HFBoards is the most heavily moderated of any forum period.
You'd be surprised.

Concordski is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:24 AM
  #267
Moe Mantha
Registered User
 
Moe Mantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
We need to clone Ed Tait and Paul Wiecek...
It's funny. I read this Tait column this morning, and thought that if someone screwed up and threw Gary Lawless' name at the top of the article, people would be complaining that it's a fluff crap piece.

No disrespect to Tait. I like his stuff, but I don't see the big issue with Gary's articles either.

I'd seriously love to see Lawless write every third article under a pen name and see if anyone flips out.

Moe Mantha is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:29 AM
  #268
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,562
vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
It's funny. I read this Tait column this morning, and thought that if someone screwed up and threw Gary Lawless' name at the top of the article, people would be complaining that it's a fluff crap piece.

No disrespect to Tait. I like his stuff, but I don't see the big issue with Gary's articles either.

I'd seriously love to see Lawless write every third article under a pen name and see if anyone flips out.
The article mentions Yuen ready to turn pro. Has he been signed to an ELC?

cheswick is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 10:02 AM
  #269
Moe Mantha
Registered User
 
Moe Mantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The article mentions Yuen ready to turn pro. Has he been signed to an ELC?
Who knows - but if Lawless wrote that he was ready to turn pro and didn't back it up, people would be out with pitchforks threatening to burn his house down for not doing his job.

Moe Mantha is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 01:47 PM
  #271
ps241
Jets will fly 4 Ever
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,357
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
It's funny. I read this Tait column this morning, and thought that if someone screwed up and threw Gary Lawless' name at the top of the article, people would be complaining that it's a fluff crap piece.

No disrespect to Tait. I like his stuff, but I don't see the big issue with Gary's articles either.

I'd seriously love to see Lawless write every third article under a pen name and see if anyone flips out.
I thought Ed's article was pretty restrained with allot of direct quotes. I realize he mentioned Yuen was ready to turn pro but other than that slip I think he did a decent job. Not sure if that one blunder would have drew the ire of the legions of Lawless haters. Its not like every article Gary writes gets trolled.

ps241 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 01:58 PM
  #272
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I thought Ed's article was pretty restrained with allot of direct quotes. I realize he mentioned Yuen was ready to turn pro but other than that slip I think he did a decent job. Not sure if that one blunder would have drew the ire of the legions of Lawless haters. Its not like every article Gary writes gets trolled.
...but Yuen is ready to turn pro. I'm fairly certain he will be with the Caps next season.

truck is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 02:30 PM
  #273
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I thought Ed's article was pretty restrained with allot of direct quotes. I realize he mentioned Yuen was ready to turn pro but other than that slip I think he did a decent job. Not sure if that one blunder would have drew the ire of the legions of Lawless haters. Its not like every article Gary writes gets trolled.
also comparing one sort of off hand remark, which clearly wasn't the crux of the article to some of gary's wherein the entire pretense of his diatrab is based off his one assumption/opinion is pretty different.

Grind is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 08:17 PM
  #274
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lightning Fast VCR
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,133
vCash: 61
Did anyone hear the opinion on the Radio today that they would take pavlec over Schneider as a goalie

Am I insane? what is everyone elses opinion

Tom ServoMST3K is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 08:32 PM
  #275
ps241
Jets will fly 4 Ever
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,357
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Did anyone hear the opinion on the Radio today that they would take pavlec over Schneider as a goalie

Am I insane? what is everyone elses opinion
Do you recall who's opinion that was Tom?

ps241 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.