HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

$#*! My 1290 Says (Formerly The First Annual Rick Ralph Roast)

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Gaald

vCash: 500
I have no idea how Rome is still on the air, period. He has 20 minutes of material, the rest of it is him repeating everything he says 400 times! Just the worst!

If that isn't bad enough, his attitude just stinks. I would rather have another local show to listen to.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
SensibleGuy

The Big Show is great! I listen every morning and its always entertaining. Good sports talk with some good laughs mixed in. Westwood gets off some great lines now and then too...best show on the station afaic...

Old
01-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Warhead77
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondnorth View Post
The Big Show,1290`s morning show is the worst of all sports radio.This guys are all Jim Rome wannabes.Its like listening to paint dry and their regulars callers are a bunch of suckups.Anyone who challenges them is cut off immediately.Westwood running down pro hockey players and picks anything negative he can to get attention.A pure whiner who is the only one to laugh at his own jokes.Terrible radio.
I actually enjoy the Big Show. Jay and Westwood are both good IMO.

Whereas that other guy Matt Libel sounds like some high school punk. A wannabe sports radio reporter.

Him and those Illegal Curve guys really dumb down 1290 when they come across as a bunch of bickering kids.

Rick Ralph is probably the best sports radio personality 1290 has at the moment.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaald View Post
I have no idea how Rome is still on the air, period. He has 20 minutes of material, the rest of it is him repeating everything he says 400 times! Just the worst!

If that isn't bad enough, his attitude just stinks. I would rather have another local show to listen to.
I'm no fan of Jim Rome, and when he comes on locally will find a reason to turn him off.

To give him his due though, as a nationally syndicated radio show he can book some great guests.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:45 PM
SensibleGuy

man thats weird. Leibl never came across like that imho. The IC guys yeah, but Leibl seems like a pretty intelligent guy to me. Really knows his Baseball too...in fact I was going to say he's the "brains" of The Big Show and prbably the most "reserved" of the three guys.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:51 PM
SensibleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jets View Post

Rick Ralph is probably the best sports radio personality 1290 has at the moment.
RR is ok. I have to admit though, I was really surprised to find out he is younger than I am.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:08 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

1290s lineup is something I happily listen to from 6 am to 6 pm most weekdays. Add in the IC on Saturday and the Jay & Dan podcast which is great (can never have too much discussion about buttchugging IMO). Now in a couple of weeks the Wednesday evening IC show. I'm set.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:19 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

I have pretty much stopped listening to talk radio. I just podcast shows that interest me and suit my tastes. No commercials and don't have to listen to what a program manager decides to put on.

Hockey podcasts I listen to:
ESPN: Hockey Today
Hockey Central @ noon
HNIC
NHL hour with Gary Bettman (not sure if he's gonan do it this season)
The Puck Podcast
Cabbie Presents (sometimes hockey guests)

Used to listen to illegal curve, Marek and Wochinsky, & Jay and Dan but found them too annoying. But I know they have their fans.

Anyone out there listen to any good hockey podcasts?

Old
01-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I listen to Hockey Central @ Noon on the Fan 590 every day, really enjoy it. I also listen to TSN 1290 in mornings/afternoons to get the latest game day news and such. Then when I go home I usually flick on NHL Live... when the wife lets me.

01-25-2013, 11:44 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
man thats weird. Leibl never came across like that imho. The IC guys yeah, but Leibl seems like a pretty intelligent guy to me. Really knows his Baseball too...in fact I was going to say he's the "brains" of The Big Show and prbably the most "reserved" of the three guys.
Agreed.
Matt Leibl is a young man with a unique skill set and has a great future ahead of him.
He is not your traditional sports guy, more like a 'renaissance sports-man': well read, well spoken, musical, smart, with a quick wit and dry, self-deprecating sense of humour.
He is a perfect foil for the other two, IMO.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:09 AM
RalphyTSN1290

This place meanders like a river. Suddenly everyone on the station is under attack. Funny though...individual preference. Personally I don't like Rome. I can't speak for the station but I do know that it is still in its very early stages. Wait for it to grow. When I arrived in Sept. of 2011, the morning show was just starting.

I started at The FAN 590 in the fall of '95. The station had just fired up as Canada's first all sports station. People were all over the place. Dan Shulman had just left. The late Pat Marsden was brought in. The evenings were a bunch of young guys..including Greg Sansone, Elliotte Friedman, Mike Hogan, Jim Richards, Bob Macko Jr., Jeff Marek, and some dude named George Strombolopoulous. Back then, no one knew who those newcomers were.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyTSN1290 View Post
This place meanders like a river. Suddenly everyone on the station is under attack. Funny though...individual preference. Personally I don't like Rome. I can't speak for the station but I do know that it is still in its very early stages. Wait for it to grow. When I arrived in Sept. of 2011, the morning show was just starting.

I started at The FAN 590 in the fall of '95. The station had just fired up as Canada's first all sports station. People were all over the place. Dan Shulman had just left. The late Pat Marsden was brought in. The evenings were a bunch of young guys..including Greg Sansone, Elliotte Friedman, Mike Hogan, Jim Richards, Bob Macko Jr., Jeff Marek, and some dude named George Strombolopoulous. Back then, no one knew who those newcomers were.
Haha RR yep, we do tend to be a very bipolar group.

01-30-2013, 12:21 AM
ghost88*

Rick Ralph makes fossils from the cretaceous period seem young and hip.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:46 AM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree Matt Leibl really grows on you.......my favorite young personality on radio and that's coming from a non baseball guy. his sense of humor is excellant, he is razor sharp and the perfect foil for dumb and dumber . without him the show would be really hard to listen to but with him it is entertaining.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:10 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyTSN1290 View Post

Wow thats allot of names.
Everyone of them is known across the country (at least most of them)

Old
01-30-2013, 08:15 AM
SensibleGuy

I do hope you had occasion to punch strombo in the face while you were there Rick.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:41 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

I've started playing a drinking game with the Big Show. Every time Westwood says "and such" I drink, I'm putting myself on the list for a liver transplant shortly.

(I like most of the personalities on the station, especially the ones that make me yell at the radio in the car (I'm looking at you Westwood and Lawless)).

Old
01-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Tdoe42

Just to much Local content now.

To much of the same thing it starts to be like CNN where you just have it on in the background and dont really pay attention to it.

I Wish we had a National radio show with some of the TSN experts like Bobby Mac and DD. Just something a little different

Old
01-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I agree Matt Leibl really grows on you.......my favorite young personality on radio and that's coming from a non baseball guy. his sense of humor is excellant, he is razor sharp and the perfect foil for dumb and dumber . without him the show would be really hard to listen to but with him it is entertaining.
I agree. Personally i like the morning show, and Leibl is probably my favorite on air personality. I think he has a very bright broadcasting career ahead of him. HNL (as long as lawless isn't interviewing anyone...eegads he could sure take a few pages out of Strombo's book) and RRT....though sometimes i get a little frustrated at the amount of "other" sports coverage on HnL (Hockey is literally the only sport i pay attention to).

Had a 40 minute commute home the other day, and the only hockey news i heard was in the little "sports center update". I'll be happy as a clam next week when the superbowel's done.

Anyways, i'm generally a big fan of the station. Morning show is my favorite segment, and i really wouldn't mind HnL sbecoming Hustler and Leibl

Old
01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
Just to much Local content now.

To much of the same thing it starts to be like CNN where you just have it on in the background and dont really pay attention to it.

I Wish we had a National radio show with some of the TSN experts like Bobby Mac and DD. Just something a little different

oh god i'd love to see Jim rome or IC replaced with this.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
[/B]

oh god i'd love to see Jim rome or IC replaced with this.
IC is a weekend show its fine where it is. If we had a CDN version of a Jim Rome show that would be awesome

Old
01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
I love IC. It's the one show that's not "dumbed down" for the average fan.

It's the only show that ever references any advance statistics that I've heard (including TSN/the Score) and seems to dig deep into what the truth really is. Everything is well researched for the most part. It's about talking hockey, not creating stories or rehashing cliches to give the fans a simple narrative of what is actually a pretty complicated business.

For definition of "dumbed down", see Rick having to put up with drunks calling in demanding the rebuilding of the entire defense lmao

Old
01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
I love IC. It's the one show that's not "dumbed down" for the average fan.

It's the only show that ever references any advance statistics that I've heard (including TSN/the Score) and seems to dig deep into what the truth really is. Everything is well researched for the most part. It's about talking hockey, not creating stories or rehashing cliches to give the fans a simple narrative of what is actually a pretty complicated business.

For definition of "dumbed down", see Rick having to put up with drunks calling in demanding the rebuilding of the entire defense lmao
Definitly tough for rick having to deal with the "we lost, thus everyone needs to go" mentality of a lot of "interesting" callers.

As for IC and advanced stats, content/research wise they are very good. I just have problems with the ways they make their arguments sometimes, how the show is presented (as mnetioned previous, talking over eachother, in jokes, etc etc), and most of their opinions i don't agree with.

I don't mind opinions i dont' agree with, provided i respect the logic/thought process and presentation...which i don't get from them. To each his own i guess...

Old
01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
SensibleGuy

Yeah the IC guys just sound like a bunch of over exhuberant high school dudes who swallowed a stat book.

RR is spending way too much time on the Ray Lewis thing. Starting to sound like Adler...

Old
01-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Joe Hallenback

For the love of God Rick please tell Troy Westwood to have some optimism and stop saying "Fair enough".

Also please tell the boys in the morning that the Penguins are not the gods of hockey and any team can win on any night in the NHL

Closed Thread