HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes Ownership Thread: "DOAN'T ASK DOAN'T TELL""

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2012, 12:06 AM
RR

vCash: 500
Coyotes Ownership Thread: "DOAN'T ASK DOAN'T TELL""

Pick it up from here

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7#post43937327

Old
02-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Naurutger

vCash: 1454
Such a creative title, blends this month together

Old
02-11-2012, 12:58 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

So when Senator McCain said he doesn't like "distractions for the boys" he wasn't just talking about the military?

Old
02-11-2012, 01:19 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
So I guess Lisa was wrong here...I thought it was odd that his name popped up with that group.

After listening to today's R&M podcast.... I think people are jumping to conclusions about JR milking this for notoriety.

As JR described it.... the local media "got horny".

Old
02-11-2012, 07:31 AM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
Regardless, I don't see any difference coming out of this in terms of getting a deal done. If anything, I expect JR to stroke the egos of Coyotes fans tonight as his number gets retired and nothing more.

Last edited by gra: 02-11-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old
02-11-2012, 09:15 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Coyotes’ Time in Arizona May Be Nearing an End
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/sp...haky.html?_r=1

Old
02-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Coyotes’ Time in Arizona May Be Nearing an End
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/sp...haky.html?_r=1
Not a shred of anything new there...

Old
02-11-2012, 09:47 AM
gra
Custom User Title

I like this quote from Neely in the Times article.

Quote:
“If you give them a free ticket, they’ll wait for the next free ticket,” he said, adding that revenue from ticket sales rose by double-digit percentage points last year and single digits this year. “We are fighting. It’s about paid butts in the seats.”

Last edited by gra: 02-11-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old
02-11-2012, 02:05 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Regardless, I don't see any difference coming out of this in terms of getting a deal done. If anything, I expect JR to stroke the egos of Coyotes fans tonight as his number gets retired and nothing more.
His good at fooling the masses, but in reality is an idiot.

Last edited by kihekah19: 02-11-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: self centered jerk may be a better description than idiot.
Old
02-11-2012, 02:07 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
I like this quote from Neely in the Times article.
That says a mouthful and represents exactly what was going on with Moyes and his "I'm polishing an apple" theory of running a franchise only to unload it..... foolish on so many levels.

Old
02-14-2012, 03:19 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
..... foolish on so many levels.
Interesting comment kihekah. Bill Maher wrote a book on the subject called Riligiousity (sic) dealing with this very overarching topic . Moyes is a child of the Great Salt Plaines of Utah as you well know.... all I can say is

Strange Advance

.. great band, lousy owner.

Old
02-16-2012, 11:58 AM
TJinAZ

Looking like Seattle may get a team after all

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/arti...ay-3336101.php

We may not be going to QC after all.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinAZ View Post
http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/arti...ay-3336101.php

We may not be going to QC after all.
The shovel hasn't hit the ground in either site. They are both years away and I can't imagine the NHL wanting a team to play in an old 9000 seat arena for 2 to 3 years. I suspect that we aren't going anywhere if they don't have ownership set where an NHL ready areana already stands (eg Kansas City)

Old
02-16-2012, 12:05 PM
AZcoyotes33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
The shovel hasn't hit the ground in either site. They are both years away and I can't imagine the NHL wanting a team to play in an old 9000 seat arena for 2 to 3 years. I suspect that we aren't going anywhere if they don't have ownership set where an NHL ready areana already stands (eg Kansas City)
Exactly.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
TJinAZ

Could be...

Although I think Key Arena could house quite a few. Wiki says: It has a seating capacity for basketball games of 17,072,[3] ice hockey games and ice shows 15,177, end-stage concerts is 16,641, and center-stage concerts and boxing 17,459. Risers hold 7,440 on the upper level and up to 7,741 on the lower level, with luxury suites adding another 1,160 seats.

Given the choices I would rather the team say in the west and it would give me another good reason to go to Seattle. QC is too far and there is no good reason to go to KC other than food.

Old
02-16-2012, 01:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Key Arena won't work. Tacoma Dome won't work. Le Colisee Pepsi absolutely will.

02-16-2012, 01:24 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Are you saying that because that is the truth or because you would rather see the Coyotes in QC(if relocation happens of course)?

Old
02-16-2012, 01:33 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Are you saying that because that is the truth or because you would rather see the Coyotes in QC(if relocation happens of course)?
I have no preference.

I'm saying that I believe the franchise would make more money in the old Colisee than even the state of the art glendale arena.

I think it would be a big mistake to move the team to some dilapidated dump with 1/3 restricted view seats in an unproven, new market. Especially if they are just going to be an afterthought to the great return of the beloved Sonics. Even when the new arena comes and there is that excitement again, they'll still be second fiddle. If the rumors that the billionaire wants the sonics and the ahl chicago owner wants the nhl are true, I'd expect even more of an uneven playing field. Nhl tenant? No thanks.

Old
02-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Not really. Its ancient and given that realignment will only work with 32 teams The NHL will want to extract a King's ransom from QC for an expansion team. It would be hard to get that much for a relocation team.

Old
02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
MIG
Undocumented User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinAZ View Post
no good reason to go to KC other than food.
According to Travel and Leisure KC has more going for it than you give credit. How about #6 in "Sports-crazed"

http://www.travelandleisure.com/amer...ty/kansas-city

and I've been to the Sprint Center...great venue.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Not really. Its ancient and given that realignment will only work with 32 teams The NHL will want to extract a King's ransom from QC for an expansion team. It would be hard to get that much for a relocation team.
Yes really. At least nobody has shown me a reason why the Colisee won't work for one or two seasons. No way the key or the tdome would.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Seattle is simply not an option at this stage in the game, not unless whomever the potential buyer is along with Gary Bettman have completely & utterly lost their minds. Youd lose close to $30M a year playing out of the Key, while the Tacoma Dome is not only inconveniently located but so too offers nothing but a ton of obstructed seats & a narrow revenue funnel, insuring heavy losses.

Not one shred of paper obtained by the press in Seattle through Freedom of Inf. legislation between Hedge Funder Hansen & the City mentions the NHL, NBA heavy, targets Sacramento as a relo candidate, the building basketball & concert/event specific. The NHL is simply an afterthought, desert to the main course of an NBA franchise. Furthermore, Hansen claims to have some sort of Magic Bullet in his proposal on a P3 with the city that wont cost the taxpayers a nickle nor require city backed financing, both illegal in WA state. No details, nothing specific.

So. If your say Levin, Owner of the Chicago Wolves with an interest in owning an NHL franchise in Seattle, do you just gladly drop $180M+ on the Coyotes, play out of the Key or T-Dome losing $30M+ a year X's 3 minimum, with no assurances that the new arenas going to be hockey friendly, possibly limiting your revenues in a virgin market?. Think Burke/Gluckstern & the AWA was a nighmare?. Guess again. Oh, and good luck getting either building ready for October along with selling ST's & dealing with a myriad of logistics within 3mnths. Thats IF theres even a season to play.

Quebec could pull it off, but as you state, if the NHL decides to get greedy & demands a relo fee on top of the purchase price PKP & Quebecor could tell him they'll wait it out until their new buildings ready. In other words, go away & come back when you get real. These guys dont mess around & came within an inch of buying the Canadiens a couple of years ago. Even if they do get a deal done, again, 3mnths to get ready, no existing mini-AHL model like TNSE had to start the motor & drive the car 24-7. Ya they'll pull it off, but still. With a possible labor stoppage and in this economy who parks close to $200M in a franchise purchase?.

Id love to see the NHL "stuck in Glendale", its $25M refused. Maybe then they'll wake up, smell the coffee, drop the price & facilitate a local sale...

Old
02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
TJinAZ

Why wouldn't Key work?

They are doing ice skating events there next week. Not sure the team would lose 30m playing at Key but they will definitely lose 30m playing at Jobing with no owner. I think there would be a honeymoon period where they would get the "new kid in town" excitement plus a ton of fans from Vancouver trying desperately to create a rivalry that would offset a lot of the loss.

Stuck in Glendale is right.... I do get the feeling that after 3 years in limbo this off season will be the breaking point. Either the NHL lowers the price or relocates. I think Glendale's subsidies are done.

Last edited by TJinAZ: 02-16-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old
02-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
I have no preference.
********. You called "samesies" on Pho's comment where he admitted to having a thing for QC and their francophone culture. You definitely have a preference good sir!

Old
02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Roc and Manuch take on the Seattle thing. Funny as hell video.

http://azsportstalk.com/2012/02/vide...ng-to-seattle/

Closed Thread