HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bucky: A feel-good story masks lingering flaws

Old
02-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The team reminds me of the President's Trophy winner when healthy -- they can skate with anyone and many nights come out on top. That doesn't mean they aren't flawed.
what? Really?
the presidents trophy team had 2 health #2 centers... compared to 1 this year
tallinder was an absolutely critical component to having a legitimate top pairing
miller was in olympic form

when healthy, this team had reminded you of that year? when exactly? last night when?

Quote:
And talking about injury vs. how the team is constructed are two separate issues as well. I didn't like the mix this past summer, still don't. The difference is, with the lineup shambles over the course of the year they're a lottery team vs. a playoff team. Per the quote above, the issue is the myth that they haven't had key injuries. They have. That does not preclude them from making dramatic moves to improve either now or in the future. They aren't mutually exclusive.
i get it though. everytime i hear about the injuries though, it just sounds like excuse making for the same guys who get excuses year after year

so it is your opinion, that had it not been for the rash string of injuries, and instead they only suffered the "standard" amount of injuries to key and secondary players, that they would be in a playoff position. And if they were in a playoff position, then you wouldnt see reason to get rid of Ruff... or change the core...

that's what scares me... is that is exactly what would have happened, and exactly why the core/coaching staff/management will all get a pass.... because missing the playoffs by 14 point will obviously be because of injuries, and not because the coach lost the team, the lockerroom has no heart, and the players are a bunch of sissies.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
what? Really?
the presidents trophy team had 2 health #2 centers... compared to 1 this year
tallinder was an absolutely critical component to having a legitimate top pairing
miller was in olympic form

when healthy, this team had reminded you of that year? when exactly? last night when?
Personnel are different, but the team when healthy played well enough to make itself out as puppet contenders early. Similar in that both are flawed rosters and similar in that the man making the decisions/putting the roster together does nothing to address it....

Quote:
i get it though. everytime i hear about the injuries though, it just sounds like excuse making for the same guys who get excuses year after year

so it is your opinion, that had it not been for the rash string of injuries, and instead they only suffered the "standard" amount of injuries to key and secondary players, that they would be in a playoff position. And if they were in a playoff position, then you wouldnt see reason to get rid of Ruff... or change the core...

that's what scares me... is that is exactly what would have happened, and exactly why the core/coaching staff/management will all get a pass.... because missing the playoffs by 14 point will obviously be because of injuries, and not because the coach lost the team, the lockerroom has no heart, and the players are a bunch of sissies.
I think if they are healthy as they were last year, they're in playoff contention right now but they would still have the issues pointed out prior to the start of the skid -- too much perimeter play, inability to hold leads, still a massive talent gap down the middle when looking at top contenders, no hitting/physicality. Basically, a first round and out team.

I have not advocated to hold this core. I am direly concerned that the draftees with a physical game will be nutured further, that they continue to think players will play "out of character" rather than finding high-character guys to put into the roster, and that the serious lack of leadership in the 'room extends well beyond a few guys and couldn't offset the loss of limited role playing vets like Nieds and Grier. I'm still of a mind since last November -- tear down large pieces of the current roster and alter the culture.

I have the same concern -- they get yet another chance almost five years on. It's time for Black to pull the plug on Regier and let a new hockey man come in with free reign on coach and scouting appointments. Let's see the action.

02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I have the same concern -- they get yet another chance almost five years on. It's time for Black to pull the plug on Regier and let a new hockey man come in with free reign on coach and scouting appointments. Let's see the action.
I worry about what it looks like if Regier is fired but Ruff survives until a new GM comes in. To me, it would look like the situation was rigged.

Is the new GM, beholden of course to Pegula for his job, going to come in and fire Pegula's man? Any "evaluation" of Lindy would be a dog and pony show, IMHO.

It would be reminiscent of when Darcy was hired and instructed to offer Nolan a contract the Sabres knew he wouldn't accept. That was the genesis of Darcy as a company yes man, and I don't want to go down that road again.

What kind of GM would not want to bring in his own coach? Frankly, Lindy's not THAT good.

Nice clean break. Darcy and Lindy are joined at the hip -- Lindy's had a huge say over the roster lo these many years. They can live out their years happily in San Francisco. I mean, that's the worst-kept secret in Buffalo, isn't it?

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I worry about what it looks like if Regier is fired but Ruff survives until a new GM comes in. To me, it would look like the situation was rigged.

Is the new GM, beholden of course to Pegula for his job, going to come in and fire Pegula's man? Any "evaluation" of Lindy would be a dog and pony show, IMHO.

It would be reminiscent of when Darcy was hired and instructed to offer Nolan a contract the Sabres knew he wouldn't accept. That was the genesis of Darcy as a company yes man, and I don't want to go down that road again.

What kind of GM would not want to bring in his own coach? Frankly, Lindy's not THAT good.

Nice clean break. Darcy and Lindy are joined at the hip -- Lindy's had a huge say over the roster lo these many years. They can live out their years happily in San Francisco. I mean, that's the worst-kept secret in Buffalo, isn't it?
agreed

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:51 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Yup. Lindy's had too much of a say in this roster and its on ice performance to be considered the baby and not just part of the bathwater.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Yup. Lindy's had too much of a say in this roster and its on ice performance to be considered the baby and not just part of the bathwater.
But, but, but Lindy saw INTO THE FUTURE and knew that his squad of super fast, super skilled, super vaginal players would take over the NEW NHL!

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote