HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Scheifele vs Zibenajad

Old
02-11-2013, 09:57 PM
JetsFan815

vCash: 500
Scheifele vs Zibenajad

What do you think/

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

At minimum, Zibanejad wins in the strength on skates department.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:00 PM
MapleLeafs9
MapleLeafs9

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
At minimum, Zibanejad wins in the strength on skates department.
Definitely. Scheifele reminds me of Kadri when he was 18. Just couldn't stay on his feet and was falling everywhere.

And Zibanejad is in the NHL and Scheifele isn't right now, soooo....

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:06 PM
JetsFan815

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
Definitely. Scheifele reminds me of Kadri when he was 18. Just couldn't stay on his feet and was falling everywhere.

And Zibanejad is in the NHL and Scheifele isn't right now, soooo....
To be fair, Zibenajad got sent back to the AHL too, the only reason he's back in is due the Sens forward corps being plagued by injuries.

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:13 PM
tgo0

Agree with the above posts, Scheifele is really weak on his feet. Haven't seen enough of Zibanejad to comment accurately on him (although I was very high on him during his draft year) but am not at all impressed with Scheifele thus far.

tgo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Stick To Your Guns

Physically Mika is more ready, he's bigger and stronger. But they're both 19 give them some time.

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:20 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgo0 View Post
Agree with the above posts, Scheifele is really weak on his feet. Haven't seen enough of Zibanejad to comment accurately on him (although I was very high on him during his draft year) but am not at all impressed with Scheifele thus far.
It's hard not to be impressed by Scheifele's numbers in the OHL (26-29-55 in 33gp) and in the World Juniors (5-3-8 6gp) this year.

As for Zibanejad, I've tempered my expectations of him a bit but still think he could be a solid 2nd - 3rd line center. The only question mark is his offensive game as he has yet to put up any "big" numbers in the past few years.

Right now, it is unfair to make a comparison on who is better, but I believe Sheifele has a touch more offensive upside while Zibanejad may ultimately become a better shut-down or two-way centre.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:33 AM
toewsintangibles

Zibanejad is atleast averaging more than 2 shots on goal a game

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:30 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Based on physical tools it's Zibenajad. I think his offensive ceiling is lower, but his physicality allows for more versatility within an NHL lineup.

Scheifele needs a lot of work on his balance, but he has improved his skating since being drafted, so he's shown he can improve when he's put the work in.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Ana Crusis

Long Term -- Scheifele > zibi

Ana Crusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:02 PM
TS Quint

As a Jet fan I'm disapointed to say Zibenajad. Scheifele has a long way to go yet but I think he will still reach a respectable 2nd line centre.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:28 PM
IranCondraAffair

From what I remember from the draft, both players were kind of "off the board" picks, but in different ways.

Scheifele was expected to be a project who had high end, 1st line, potential, but he was expected to go in the middle of the 1st round because of some concerns about his skating and overall skillset. He was drafted a little earlier than expected, but has shown some good signs since being drafted. Again, from what I remember, it was kind of always expected that he would take a while to make it as an NHL regular, so he's on track, it's just that he hasn't exceeded expectations either. Nothing to worry about.

Meanwhile Z-Bad was a late season riser with dubious 1st line potential, but a very high basement who was expected to end up playing on a 2nd/3rd line as a winger even if he didn't "pan out" as a two-way 1st line player. Since the draft he's shown some good flashes and Sens management has loved what his work ethic, skating, drive, shot, and two-way play. He hasn't exceeded expectations either and he's suffered some minor injuries which is a little worrisome, but he's already in the NHL and doesn't look out of place. Again, nothing to worry about, but nothing to be overly excited about either

So far, so good for both teams. We'll have to see again in another year.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:33 PM
dan1el

Well I'm a little biased, but this Sens fan is really, really liking the way Zibanejad has been playing. The offence hasn't clicked yet, but he's fast, strong, and he's playing well. Scheifele has been looking good but he also isn't in the leaugue yet. I'm going Zib.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Hale The Villain

Zibanejad.

I'd like to see him become more involved in the offense, but he's a big, fast and skilled player that is just scratching the surface of his potential.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:29 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
From what I remember from the draft, both players were kind of "off the board" picks, but in different ways.

Scheifele was expected to be a project who had high end, 1st line, potential, but he was expected to go in the middle of the 1st round because of some concerns about his skating and overall skillset. He was drafted a little earlier than expected, but has shown some good signs since being drafted. Again, from what I remember, it was kind of always expected that he would take a while to make it as an NHL regular, so he's on track, it's just that he hasn't exceeded expectations either. Nothing to worry about.

Meanwhile Z-Bad was a late season riser with dubious 1st line potential, but a very high basement who was expected to end up playing on a 2nd/3rd line as a winger even if he didn't "pan out" as a two-way 1st line player. Since the draft he's shown some good flashes and Sens management has loved what his work ethic, skating, drive, shot, and two-way play. He hasn't exceeded expectations either and he's suffered some minor injuries which is a little worrisome, but he's already in the NHL and doesn't look out of place. Again, nothing to worry about, but nothing to be overly excited about either

So far, so good for both teams. We'll have to see again in another year.
This +1

I'd much rather have both
I guess Jets' thought they had that two-way C in Burmistrov.
And no mater which one were in the NHL right now whether that be Z, Scheif, both or neither, wouldn't really change my perspective.

I'd correct that the some of the last expectations had more 10-15 range (Future Considerations 13, The Scouting Report 10, TSN 12), but "off the board" still is off the board.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:36 PM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
It's hard not to be impressed by Scheifele's numbers in the OHL (26-29-55 in 33gp) and in the World Juniors (5-3-8 6gp) this year.

As for Zibanejad, I've tempered my expectations of him a bit but still think he could be a solid 2nd - 3rd line center. The only question mark is his offensive game as he has yet to put up any "big" numbers in the past few years.

Right now, it is unfair to make a comparison on who is better, but I believe Sheifele has a touchx more offensive upside while Zibanejad may ultimately become a better shut-down or two-way centre.
Can't really compare Scheifele's great junior stats with Zibanejad's production so far. Mika has been playing against men since he was 17.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:24 PM
jbeck5

Zibanejad must have the best one timer of anyone under 20 years old...did you see that tonight?

plus:

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Zibanejad must have the best one timer of anyone under 20 years old...did you see that tonight?

plus:

That title goes to yaks.
anyways i would rather have Scheifele, great player and i am positive next year is when he shows everybody what he is made of.

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:04 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Zibanejad, Scheifele was a bit of a reach and I don't think he has done enough to pass Zibanejad.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Lazarrr

I don't understand why people say Zibanejad is power forward. He isn't that big, funny skating style, and not that physical. I think he'll be good, but similar to a Michalek, not a Scott Hartnell. I think he'll be a really good player to have in the playoffs though.

I haven't been high on Scheifele since he was drafted. I watched a lot of Barrie, and nothing seems special about him. I think Boone Jenner is much better and will be better in the NHL. Just don't think he has the 'it' factor to produce at this level.

Lazarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:08 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Zibanejad for me

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:48 PM
JetsOilersfan

Well, I guess if this is an "Ottawa" point of view thread, OK. Is there a Wpg Jet point of few thread?

What I mean is - is there a Scheifele vs Couturier thread? As the (at beginning of season) #1 overall prospect was still available at #7 and went directly into the NHL and stayed, while the Jets took Scheifele off the board.

To me, I don't care about Zibenajad as he was gone already (from a Jets perspective) - though I was hoping Strome, was not expecting Couturier to still be there and he was, and we took Scheifele. I remember Holmgren almost running to the stage to pick Couturier - and I can't blame him.

JetsOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote