HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Columbus @ Minnesota 2/11/12 8:00EST

Old
02-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
But folks from the Nashville organization are persons of interest for success....
Going to the cup final is more of a success than being eliminated in the first round year after year...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:26 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
You do realize that Paul Fenton's job description with the Nashville organization is almost word-for-word what Scott Howson's was with Edmonton, right?
But do you also realize that Howson and Priest need to be relieved immediately of their jobs? Whether that was his resume or not, he has NOT got the job done. Period. That cannot be argued. Fenton having a similar resume does not mean that Howson should keep his job, and furthermore it does not mean that Fenton would be incapable.

Put it this way, it would be almost impossible for anyone else to come in here and do worse. Its been a debacle. If we were smart, this is who we would hire. When Fenton becomes an All Star GM, I will make sure to remind you constantly.

MattTheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:29 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Going to the cup final is more of a success than being eliminated in the first round year after year...
Going to the playoffs every year, and not being swept once, and making it to the Conference Semifinals last year, is sure a heck of lot better than having the worst record in the NHL year after year, and continuing to be the laughing stock of the NHL. Sure, I would love a Cup here in Cbus as much as Fenton would probably love one in Nashville. But if anyone had to pick between the 2 organizations success record, they would most certainly choose Nashville. They have also done it on a much lower payroll. And throw in there, not as many high draft picks as well. Even more reason we should be doing better than we are

MattTheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMask View Post
But do you also realize that Howson and Priest need to be relieved immediately of their jobs? Whether that was his resume or not, he has NOT got the job done. Period. That cannot be argued. Fenton having a similar resume does not mean that Howson should keep his job, and furthermore it does not mean that Fenton would be incapable.

Put it this way, it would be almost impossible for anyone else to come in here and do worse. Its been a debacle. If we were smart, this is who we would hire. When Fenton becomes an All Star GM, I will make sure to remind you constantly.
No. Yes it can. It compares. That's not true. That's partially true. Hockey and NHL teams doesn't exist in a vacuum. Be my guest.

I'm about to go to bed since I'm slightly intoxicated, so I'm not going into any grand detail. I'll save that for the morning.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
I'm about to go to bed since I'm slightly intoxicated, so I'm not going into any grand detail. I'll save that for the morning.
At 6 pm! lol

Robert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Congo Jack
Please Understand

Just wanted to say thank you for beating the Wild in a dominate fashion

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
At 6 pm! lol
It was after midnight where I am.

If I were that loaded to need to go to bed at 6 PM, I think I'd be checking myself into rehab. Actually, over here, it's somehow culturally acceptable to treat every day like it's a tailgate, so I don't even know if rehab exists.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
That's not true.
Sorry if I'm following this properly, you just indicated that "Howson has gotten the job done".

What job are you talking about? It sure isn't putting a team out on the ice that can win hockey games.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Sorry if I'm following this properly, you just indicated that "Howson has gotten the job done".

What job are you talking about? It sure isn't putting a team out on the ice that can win hockey games.
I'm trying to remember which of my intoxicated ramblings lined up with what. I think "that's not true" was in response to "it would be almost impossible for anyone else to come in here and do worse".

I tend to react poorly to hyperbole, so my restraint surprises me. There are plenty of ways to do worse, and there are plenty of people who could do much worse while also being too short-sighted to realize it.

John Ferguson, Jr., for example.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
It was after midnight where I am.

If I were that loaded to need to go to bed at 6 PM, I think I'd be checking myself into rehab. Actually, over here, it's somehow culturally acceptable to treat every day like it's a tailgate, so I don't even know if rehab exists.
Where are you, Italy? I didn't know your location, my bad.

Robert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:38 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I tend to react poorly to hyperbole, so my restraint surprises me. There are plenty of ways to do worse, and there are plenty of people who could do much worse while also being too short-sighted to realize it.

John Ferguson, Jr., for example.
At this point in time you will be hard pressed to find anyone that thinks it can get much worse than, essentially, being officially eliminated at game 56 and that the 29th team likely only has to get about 16 more points in 27 games to keep us buried in the #30 spot.

We are 3 years removed from playoff hockey and we are now, officially, worse than when Howson started. That's saying something when it was assumed at the beginning of the year this was our best team ever assembled.

The best we can do is hope that all of the players returning come off their slumps and get back into their normal form, while our young players improve (but we've been hoping for that for our entire existence).

Seriously, how much worse can this possibly get? 38 points in 56 games? We still don't have 10 home wins after 27 games. Have we ever been this bad?

It's down to hope again. You could list Dougie as a worse option and it would look like a life preserver to a drowning man. If someone had said "Well he couldn't be any worse than Dougie" back when Howson was hired, he would be appalled at what he seen the last three years.

We will have to pray his prospects pan out, because his decisions for players at the NHL level sure haven't worked at well to this point int he majority of cases.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote