HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if Gauthier keeps his job?

Old
02-08-2012, 11:27 PM
jwolf

vCash: 500
What if Gauthier keeps his job?

In most of the threads pertaining to management on these boards it seems like a forgone conclusion that there will be new management next season at the latest. What if there isn't? What if Molson's endorsement of PG a month ago was sincere? Riots? Boycott?
I, like most, want a change, but there's an outside chance there won't be any. How easy will it be to swallow that pill?

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
All I can really say is...that one would be hard to swallow.

And yet somehow, I wouldn't be shocked.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Riot.jpg

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:38 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I have a feeling he will keep his job. Frankly, I think both Gauthier and Gainey will still be here next year. I don't think we're going to get the changes we want. Just the same ole same ole.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Bell Centre will still be full. RDS will keep raking big numbers. The team will probably be better than this year anyway. Another 5 years of tolerable mediocrity as we are used to.

But honestly I think he'll be fired.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Shad

He will keep his job IMO

Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:49 PM
OneSharpMarble

Good, I see no reason for him not to.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Sargent Pepper*

I do not agree that Gauthier will be kept in his job. Molson has been taking good notes and as customary for this glorious family, he will not allow for mediocrity to continue. I think all hockey personnel will be let go (coaching team and GM) and an entirely new team will be coming onboard. I imagine that new team young, innovative and with lots of credentials (not necessarily ex habs players). However, I do believe Roy will be ask to coach. I think young Mr. Molson will be bold, will have a carefully drafted plan and will execute on that plan. Once the new team in place, whatever players not gone at trade deadline (and not UFA) will be carefully assessed by the new GM and coaching team and many changes are to be expected. Mr. Molson may have to explain to his partners the serious shortfall on the investments they made just a couple of years ago and like any good businessman, he will make business decisions (including a new leadership team....in this case, a new hockey management team).

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Miller Time

would be a terrible decision, and show the utter lack of leadership at every level of the organization...

but it wouldn't surprise me, and the sun would still come up in the morning... i hope

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:20 AM
m00ks

If Markov comes back say in the last 20 games and the Habs have a late season surge I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps his job. I wouldn't loose sleep if he did.

A better coach is a bigger priority imo.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:28 AM
TheBuriedHab

Ever since he has taken over there is a weird vibe surrounding the organization. Atleast when Bob was incharge there was still that electric energy around the team. Just not feeling the same as it was a few years ago.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 04:31 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I have a feeling he will keep his job. Frankly, I think both Gauthier and Gainey will still be here next year. I don't think we're going to get the changes we want. Just the same ole same ole.
I will boycott if that is the case, a change is necessary, they have to pay for that mess

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 06:03 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

With the way he handled this year, he has to go. Nobody says it's fair. Life isn't. But all those panic moves to save his job and to make the playoffs and you end up not making them? You are out.

Also, if I'm a President, and I want to go in a certain direction (franco head coach) and I KNOW that the future boss of my coach DOES NOT BELIEVE in the direction I'm headed, would it be wise to keep the said guy? 'Cause clearly, we all know that Gauthier doesn't believe, like most of you, in getting a bilingual coach but the best supposed coach available (as if it's clearly exist). Well, if I'M the President and do believe in it, you don't share my views. And it's enough to find somebody who does.

As his job itself, well it wasn't as bad. Nor was it great. In another situation, let say no coach drama and some playoffs, he keeps his job for at least 1 year. I would never like how he does his business, but on the job alone, he stays. But that's not what happened this year. Also, we have to end the Gainey era. So if Gauthier wants anything to do with keeping his job, he has to surround himself differently and with no Gainey on board.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:02 AM
Habbadasher

Did Lamoriello loose his job when they won the Cup then failed to make the playoffs? Did Holmgren get fired when his team imploded? No.
Stuff happens, I doubt that Gauthier gets fired, people complain about a lack of stability in the organization but we should have a revolving door of coaches and management.

Gauthier is headed in the right direction. Not everything he did turned out, but that is the way it goes.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:04 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
If Markov comes back say in the last 20 games and the Habs have a late season surge I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps his job. I wouldn't loose sleep if he did.

A better coach is a bigger priority imo.
By better you mean frencher right ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Unlike most posters I'm sure Molson doesn't blame Gauthier for moves made before he was GM. The Gomez trade was made by Gainey not Gauthier...as much as some people try to find ways to blame him, I'm sure Gainey knew the NHL had a salary cap and that Gomez had a huge cap hit.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:05 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Did Lamoriello loose his job when they won the Cup then failed to make the playoffs? Did Holmgren get fired when his team imploded? No.
Stuff happens, I doubt that Gauthier gets fired, people complain about a lack of stability in the organization but we should have a revolving door of coaches and management.

Gauthier is headed in the right direction. Not everything he did turned out, but that is the way it goes.
What ???

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:11 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Unlike most posters I'm sure Molson doesn't blame Gauthier for moves made before he was GM. The Gomez trade was made by Gainey not Gauthier...as much as some people try to find ways to blame him, I'm sure Gainey knew the NHL had a salary cap and that Gomez had a huge cap hit.
The team has been a laughing stock under Gauthier. I don't believe he's the guy to bring them back to respectability. He holds no weight in the hockey world.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:12 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

He's made some very bad decisions but he's also made changes/moves that I've liked such as keeping Price over Halak, signing Diaz and Emelin, getting players with size (Eller, Cole, Blunden, Bourque) and getting some more cap space by getting rid of Cammalleri.. however I honestly don't care who our GM is next year as long as we keep Timmins as our scout, Gomez isn't on this team and we have a new head coach.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post

There is just a couple of differences. Lamoriello, as you said it, JUST WON A FREAKIN CUP. And previously to that Cup, he was responsible for the complete turnaround of this franchise from being a joke to pretty respectable. While Holmgren has 1 3rd round and 1 Finals. And when his team imploded, he was hired the same year....

Gauthier is in his 3rd year and we are still looking for that top tier team. Also, like I said before, whether it's fair or not, he is associated to the Gainey era, where he was his right hand man and pro scout. And it's tough to dissociate you from somebody when the day you are appointed to replace him, you keep the guy you're replacing to get some pointers from him. So the overall Gainey-Gauthier tenure, at best, was an improvement to what we had (thanks to being compared to one of the worst GM that the planet has ever seen), yet, we still have only 1 3rd round to show for in 10 years counting this year.

Yet, Gauthier made some fine moves this year. Though I can tell you that EVERYBODY who were once fired, ALSO made some great moves, and some moves that benefitted the guys that replaced them. Happens all the time. Yet, the overall feeling that surrounds this team calls for a change. Now, if Molson and Co do a GOOD job at finding the next guys, well we might do just what you're saying Philly did with Holmgren....keeping them. As far as I'm concerned though, we did keep Gainey for quite some time, so it's not something we haven't done lately.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
This, exactly.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habbadasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
With the way he handled this year, he has to go. Nobody says it's fair. Life isn't. But all those panic moves to save his job and to make the playoffs and you end up not making them? You are out.

Also, if I'm a President, and I want to go in a certain direction (franco head coach) and I KNOW that the future boss of my coach DOES NOT BELIEVE in the direction I'm headed, would it be wise to keep the said guy? 'Cause clearly, we all know that Gauthier doesn't believe, like most of you, in getting a bilingual coach but the best supposed coach available (as if it's clearly exist). Well, if I'M the President and do believe in it, you don't share my views. And it's enough to find somebody who does.

As his job itself, well it wasn't as bad. Nor was it great. In another situation, let say no coach drama and some playoffs, he keeps his job for at least 1 year. I would never like how he does his business, but on the job alone, he stays. But that's not what happened this year. Also, we have to end the Gainey era. So if Gauthier wants anything to do with keeping his job, he has to surround himself differently and with no Gainey on board.
You don't know that Molson thinks the hiring of RC was wrong. Mr. Molson might have made the press release to calm the public down.

If Gauthier was making panic moves to make the playoffs, he would have mortgaged the future as other GM's have done. But that is not what Gauthier did. Although the timing of the firing of Pearn, Martin, was odd. The removal of Cammer from the ice was due to NHL rules about talking about a trade during games (or so I have been told). Whether that is true or not, it maybe odd, but not a panic move, I would call it in haste.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:18 AM
habsrule22

Everyone thought that Murray in Ottawa was going to be fired last year. It didn't happen there, and it may not happen in Montreal either.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Dekar

Classic case of fans thinking they have any control over this team. Gauthier will be keeping his job, no question.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote