HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Nashville to host ASG within 5 years

Old
02-07-2012, 09:01 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

vCash: 500
Nashville to host ASG within 5 years

Pete Weber said he has been told by Bill Daly that we will host an ASG within 5 years. He's thinking maybe 2015, the year after the olympics. I posted this on the main board as well.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:11 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

meh.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Insanepredator

Send a message via Skype™ to Insanepredator
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
meh.
I agree why give the all-star game to a southern market that never accomplishes anything. It should just be rotated among the 7 Canadian cities.

Insanepredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:15 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
meh.
Well I don't care about the game itself either. However the skills competition and all the fan fare surrounding the area would be great and give this city some more great pub. Also, it's been mentioned that Weber has been quoted wishing we had an All Star weekend in Nashville so he could sleep in his own bed. Now we make him keep his promise and this "his" bed will still be in Nashville.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Adz

I think that's a given just from the name gracing the side of the arena.

Bridgestone has given the NHL bookoos of $$$$$$$$$$$$ in advertising and sponsorship the past few years. I think it would be imperative to the league that as soon as the new convention center is up and running and an all star game is played, it should be in Nashville--if only to highlight the arena to which Bridgestone has the naming rights.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:43 AM
tonyin318

When the all star game was in Atlanta, I had a ho-hum attitude as well, but I attended all the events and actually had a terrific time!

tonyin318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:46 AM
SavageSteve

I would love to see the Skills competition but the game itself? Not so much... I wonder how the ticketing would work for that? Would it be auto-added as part of your season tix or a lottery or ???

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
tonyin318

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
I would love to see the Skills competition but the game itself? Not so much... I wonder how the ticketing would work for that? Would it be auto-added as part of your season tix or a lottery or ???
Don't sell the game short - much better in person than on tv.

In ATL, season ticket holders were guaranteed the same number of seats, but not in our regular season seats. I seem to remember that the NHL took over ticketing for the event.

My ST's were in the upper deck that year, but somehow I ended up with an option in the Lower Level for that weekend. Had to pay for it, but it was worth it.

tonyin318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyin318 View Post
Don't sell the game short - much better in person than on tv.

In ATL, season ticket holders were guaranteed the same number of seats, but not in our regular season seats. I seem to remember that the NHL took over ticketing for the event.

My ST's were in the upper deck that year, but somehow I ended up with an option in the Lower Level for that weekend. Had to pay for it, but it was worth it.
I'll have to keep that in mind... my seats are at the top of the upper deck; but going into the lower levels for that would probably be worth it. Either that or use it to finance playoff tix's placing the ASG ticket(s) on the secondary market...

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:55 PM
token grinder

I think the All-Star game should be hosted by the Defending Cup Champion. Have a fantasy Draft, a skills comp. and a 3 on 3 tourney. 3 on 3 tourney would be 3 bar tourney in the first round, Winning team gets a million bucks. have 16 teams of 3. It can be an all day affair on Friday to get down to the final 8 teams. 1 ten minute period in the round of 16 and 8. at the skills comp, the 8 teams left draft their goalies. 1 ten minute period in the final four. Championship round gets 2 ten minute periods. Then for the Showcase event, the Cup championship team gets to roll their squad vs the nhl champs for another million, just this time for a local charity.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Insanepredator

Send a message via Skype™ to Insanepredator
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think the All-Star game should be hosted by the Defending Cup Champion. Have a fantasy Draft, a skills comp. and a 3 on 3 tourney. 3 on 3 tourney would be 3 bar tourney in the first round, Winning team gets a million bucks. have 16 teams of 3. It can be an all day affair on Friday to get down to the final 8 teams. 1 ten minute period in the round of 16 and 8. at the skills comp, the 8 teams left draft their goalies. 1 ten minute period in the final four. Championship round gets 2 ten minute periods. Then for the Showcase event, the Cup championship team gets to roll their squad vs the nhl champs for another million, just this time for a local charity.
That is far to awesome to actually happen.

Edit: except for the defending champs hosting part.

Insanepredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Bongo

As a STH in Atlanta my $10 a game seat cost $80 for the AllStarGame so I volunteered and had a blast. I got about $300 worth of swag and as a driver I got to meet all kinds of folks.

So if you don't feel like shelling out big bucks to watch a meaningless game with no defense, sign up to be a volunteer. You won't regret it.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Adz

Quote:
It probably takes more than a year to put and AS Weekend in place and I know there are certain requirements (enough close hotel space is one) they have for hosting one. I like your event ideas, though.

Would you showcase the current squad or the squad that actually won the Cup?

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:54 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
It probably takes more than a year to put and AS Weekend in place and I know there are certain requirements (enough close hotel space is one) they have for hosting one. I like your event ideas, though.

Would you showcase the current squad or the squad that actually won the Cup?
I think for the most part it would be the current squad. I mean most times, the cup champs will be at a disadvantage, that is why the money would go to a (for this year) a boston charity. the other thing is, most times, a cup champ doesn't lose its important parts. I think if the nhl wanted to really have a showcase event, and that is what the weekend is, a marketing event, I think it is the way to go. They can find a way to get it done.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I think for the most part it would be the current squad. I mean most times, the cup champs will be at a disadvantage, that is why the money would go to a (for this year) a boston charity. the other thing is, most times, a cup champ doesn't lose its important parts. I think if the nhl wanted to really have a showcase event, and that is what the weekend is, a marketing event, I think it is the way to go. They can find a way to get it done.
Such a 1940s-60s concept of how to do the ASG.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:05 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Hey guys how's it going? Haven't posted here in a while as i've been busy keeping up with with the Gwinnett Gladiators and other interests. So when did the all star game go to this format of having two captains pick the teams instead of fan voting for the east and west all stars?

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:06 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Last season.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash2Smash25 View Post
Hey guys how's it going? Haven't posted here in a while as i've been busy keeping up with with the Gwinnett Gladiators and other interests. So when did the all star game go to this format of having two captains pick the teams instead of fan voting for the east and west all stars?
last year in Carolina.....I think

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:59 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash2Smash25 View Post
fans still get to pick the "starters" ie 3 forwards, 2 D and one goalie... as evidenced by 4 senators being named "starters"

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote