HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders will play preseason game in Oct 2012 in Brooklyn

Old
01-31-2012, 11:21 AM
dcv2002

vCash: 500
Islanders will play preseason game in Oct 2012 in Brooklyn

http://nyisl.es/8MMtc

dcv2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:22 AM
isleskovalchuk

I say good move, explore everything and show nassau we are not going to just sit idleing by. Still hate the idea of getting less seats, but maybe another step. Maybe the Nets owner has interest and put this on?

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:27 AM
Strummergas

Fun! I'll be there and I'm dragging an assload of people with me!

This could be another empty threat from Wang a la the Kansas City pre-season game, but it could also be a test run to see what it's like to host an NHL event at the Barclays arena and what changes would need to be made (if any) to improve the experience.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
useref15

As a Nets fan I'd like to see this. I was at the coliseum this year, and I feel bad for you guys. No professional team in 2012 should play in a place like that. The Barclays Center is going to be astonishing.

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:36 AM
VinnyV88

Marty’s goal: Hockey in Brooklyn

And this:

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories..._02_03_bk.html

VinnyV88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:37 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleskovalchuk View Post
I say good move, explore everything and show nassau we are not going to just sit idleing by. Still hate the idea of getting less seats, but maybe another step. Maybe the Nets owner has interest and put this on?
Prokhorov already bought the Isles last week.

All kidding aside, I think this may be a little bit of both...a "threat" to Nassau and a test to see what kind of experience an NHL game would bring.

There certainly seems to have been some discussions behind the scenes with Wang, Ratner and their people...it's just unclear what's been discussed. Though one can speculate when Ratner and his partner are spotted at NHL HQ a few months ago and the rumors even from the Nets President that there's been a push to get the Isles to Brooklyn.

That capacity will always bother me though. I'd love to see them there in 2015, with future plans to renovate and somehow add more seats.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Definitely getting tickets to this

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Mustang2750

Woooo! October 2nd is my birthday ...what a great birthday this will be.

Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
I hope Wang isn't taking the art of the 'empty threat' to the next level.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Fayne Staley
Sather is better

20 minute ride from my house! I'm a Devils fan, but it would be awesome to have hockey right in my backyard. Hope this can help the Isles out.

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:00 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

This definitely has more influence than that meaningless Kansas City game a few years ago. This could be an interesting development for later.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:07 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

I know this is not the optimal solution for Islander fans. I get that many Isles fans — especially those in Suffolk are going to have a real issue with Brooklyn in particular. It's a long trip.

But what are the alternatives at this juncture?

Would you rather have the franchise gone altogether in Quebec, Seattle, Kansas City or Quebec? Brooklyn or even Queens is still a destination we can all get to with relative ease as opposed to one of the other cities mentioned.

This is NOT a veiled threat. It is a direct shot across Nassau's and Hempstead's proverbial bow.

The Kansas City "trial" was far less of a threat. Hockey in KC is not exactly what I would call truly viable. But that the Islanders will be given a shot at keeping their name, their heritage and the owner and management can say they kept the Islanders in New York is a much more plausible sell.

I have never had any issue with the capacity. I think that over time, considerations to increase it can occur. But as I have said on a number of threads, a 14,500 crowd for the NY Islanders would be HUGE, and in a smaller space be very, very loud.

One other PRO to this situation over Nassau or Suffolk. Public transportation. Nassau and Suffolk seem to have no interest in providing a public transit option to a new facility. Think about how nice it will be to be able to just jump on the LIRR, not have to worry about parking, worry if you had a beer or 2 at the game.

What will also strengthen the threat, and make it VERY real — is if there is a full crowd for the game. That sends the loudest message of all to Charles Wang, the players, and the fools of Nassau and Hempstead alike.

I am 100% behind this, and I will be at the game!

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:13 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
I know this is not the optimal solution for Islander fans. I get that many Isles fans — especially those in Suffolk are going to have a real issue with Brooklyn in particular. It's a long trip.

Would you rather have the franchise gone altogether in Quebec, Seattle, Kansas City or Quebec? Brooklyn or even Queens is still a destination we can all get to with relative ease as opposed to one of the other cities mentioned.

This is NOT a veiled threat. It is a direct shot across Nassau's and Hempstead's proverbial bow.

The Kansas City "trial" was far less of a threat. Hockey in KC is not exactly what I would call truly viable. But that the Islanders will be given a shot at keeping their name, their heritage and the owner and management can say they kept the Islanders in New York is a much more plausible sell.

I have never had any issue with the capacity. I think that over time, considerations to increase it can occur. But as I have said on a number of threads, a 14,500 crowd for the NY Islanders would be HUGE, and in a smaller space be very, very loud.

One other PRO to this situation over Nassau or Suffolk. Public transportation. Nassau and Suffolk seem to have no interest in providing a public transit option to a new facility. Think about how nice it will be to be able to just jump on the LIRR, not have to worry about parking, worry if you had a beer or 2 at the game.

What will also strengthen the threat, and make it VERY real — is if there is a full crowd for the game. That sends the loudest message of all to Charles Wang, the players, and the fools of Nassau and Hempstead alike.

I am 100% behind this, and I will be at the game!
Growing up in LI, it would really be a shame if the Isles leave the area for Brooklyn. If they do, I'm all for it though. For all the reasons that you mentioned HyeDray.

Nassau County is really screwing the pooch.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Woooo! October 2nd is my birthday ...what a great birthday this will be.
Ill Be there, and my 40th is on October 3rd so it will be one big party!

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Really gotta get tix for this. Should definitely be interesting.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:30 PM
VT Isles Fan

The other option is that this could be a temporary solution for the Isles.

If Nassau County politicians ever get their act together (haha), and approve a new arena on LI, but it's not ready for the opening of the 21015-6 season, Brooklyn could be a stop gap measure.

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:37 PM
NYI JT91

I like this move. At this point id rather just give up on NVMC and move and play with the Nets in Brooklyn. Its not ideal for seating and is further away from where I live and it would have been nice to be the main team of a stadium instead of sharing. That being said I just want this settled so we can start attracting FAs and start being more competitive etc...

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:38 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post

I think we can (or should) all agree that seeing John Tavares pull on a Kansas City or new Quebec Nordiques jersey and be embraced by the "new" home city would turn our stomachs. After years of putting up with this franchise and sticking with them...it would just be awful. Islanders staying in the NY market and on the "island" is key. Keep the name (I guess being referred to Brooklyn Islanders wouldn't be terrible), logo, heritage...everything...that's key here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray

Well, at least then we can say the Isles can sell out at 100% capacity almost every night. But still...the Coliseum, which is a pain to get to, can draw 13K-14.5K pretty easily even with the Isles not performing all that well. You've now got a building that's easy for everyone in the surrounding areas to get to and perhaps a better team on the ice. There's no doubt in my mind they can fill at least 16K-17K seats in the long run and that should be on the mind of Wang or a new potential owner. They'll really need to find a way to come up with an extra 2,500 seats at some point. And then there's some concerns about sightlines. We won't really know until this game how bad it is for hockey, if it's bad at all.

The renderings, to me, almost look like the lower level seating is more flat, where the last row of lower level seating looks like it's pretty far from the ice/court. The big benefit here, of course, is luxury boxes. 15 Brownstone suites, 68 loft suites, 4 party suites, and 6 studio suites. Then there's 11 backstage suites, whatever that means. How many luxury suites at the Coliseum? 32? Heh. And not exactly "great" luxury seating, by any means.

The pluses outweigh the negatives for me. But I still think they're not going to settle with 14,500...but it might not be a deal breaker in the end.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Steve55

I think this is a slap in the face to Nassau County and TOH since this news came out a day after the Nassau County Legislature announced it will hold a meeting regarding the Nassau Hub.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.3489497

The Nassau County Legislature will hold a hearing next month on plans to develop the 77-acre Hub property.

The Economic and Community Development and Labor Committee will hear from county officials and regional planners on Feb. 14.

Committee chairwoman Denise Ford (R-Long Beach) said the focus will be broader than just building a new Nassau Coliseum.

The focus is on what can be done with the entire property so that we can obtain state funding, Ford said

Chances are Bettman knew about the Brooklyn preseason game when he said it will be hard to believe there won't be a solution in Nassau last weekend. Translation: are you (Nassau) going to let the Isles go next door to either Brooklyn or Queens?

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
I think we can (or should) all agree that seeing John Tavares pull on a Kansas City or new Quebec Nordiques jersey and be embraced by the "new" home city would turn our stomachs. After years of putting up with this franchise and sticking with them...it would just be awful. Islanders staying in the NY market and on the "island" is key. Keep the name (I guess being referred to Brooklyn Islanders wouldn't be terrible), logo, heritage...everything...that's key here.

Well, at least then we can say the Isles can sell out at 100% capacity almost every night. But still...the Coliseum, which is a pain to get to, can draw 13K-14.5K pretty easily even with the Isles not performing all that well. You've now got a building that's easy for everyone in the surrounding areas to get to and perhaps a better team on the ice. There's no doubt in my mind they can fill at least 16K-17K seats in the long run and that should be on the mind of Wang or a new potential owner. They'll really need to find a way to come up with an extra 2,500 seats at some point. And then there's some concerns about sightlines. We won't really know until this game how bad it is for hockey, if it's bad at all.

The renderings, to me, almost look like the lower level seating is more flat, where the last row of lower level seating looks like it's pretty far from the ice/court. The big benefit here, of course, is luxury boxes. 15 Brownstone suites, 68 loft suites, 4 party suites, and 6 studio suites. Then there's 11 backstage suites, whatever that means. How many luxury suites at the Coliseum? 32? Heh. And not exactly "great" luxury seating, by any means.

The pluses outweigh the negatives for me. But I still think they're not going to settle with 14,500...but it might not be a deal breaker in the end.
I think Brooklyn is at most a temporary solution, but if they play one season in Brooklyn, chances are they are not going back to Nassau for a new arena since that will shut out most of Brooklyn fan base. IF the Isles move to NYC to play regular season hockey, an arena would most likely be built in Queens.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:10 PM
lorwood

I would think more than a threat it is a "try it on and see if it fits" as Wang must at least have the thought that Nassau simply will never get anything done.

While I get the argument of only 14500 seats I do see a denser population and mass transit as things that balance less seating out.

It is a sound marketing strategy (not the only one) to have fewer seats available provided the product is good. It helps to sell those weeknight games.

For now I say great lets try it on!

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:26 PM
doublechili

Somebody's got to get Jay-Z a "Brooklyn" hockey jersey for the concerts that week.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:27 PM
doublechili

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Somebody's got to get Jay-Z a "Brooklyn" hockey jersey for the concerts that week.
Whoever "Jay-Z" is.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
We got to keep this updated for when tickets go on sale I need 4 of these pronto! And October 3rd is my BDay also!

Last edited by Trumanperro: 01-31-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:36 PM
19 in a row

While I hope they stay where they are, this is a good idea on a few fronts. Besides being a shot across the bow as one poster put it, fans can also get a taste of what it will be like rather than have us all speculate. I am sure it will be a beautiful building, but worry of the sitelines and capacity.

19 in a row is online now   Reply With Quote