Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Where do they uncover these geniuses that phone into 1290 following the games?

OMG.

They just wait for a bad loss and unload haha

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
02-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 314
I'm not really upset about this game. In fact, this might be the most ambivalent I've ever been about a loss.

Jets didn't play good, nor did they play terrible. They got caught up in a run and gun game with a team they simply can't run and gun against. The only chance they have of making the playoffs this year is to win a bunch of tight checking games where they get stellar goaltending and make close to zero mistakes. It's possible they do that, sure. But it's impossible to sustain that on a game to game basis.

There seems to be a pretty large schism between guys who are actually playing hard and competing, and guys who just look like 9-5 workers collecting a paycheque. Contracts and cap ramifications won't allow us to ditch a handful of these passengers, but I'm hopeful that Chevy tosses aside the ones he can, and supplements the lineup with guys who can summon up the necessary testosterone when a team decides to kick it up a notch like the Pens did today. There's a handful of guys who I'm starting to question, whether they want to buy in to what Noel and this organization is preaching.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Lomac

vCash: 315
brutal game to watch, but CBC made it even worse with the audio/video cutting out throughout the game.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:38 PM
PaperRockChamp

We were in tough to win this one.. Reminds me of the Det game earlier in the year.

The quick 2-0 lead raised expectations maybe.

It's hard to read some posts in our threads...Just chalk it up to passion tho.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I'm not really upset about this game. In fact, this might be the most ambivalent I've ever been about a loss.

Jets didn't play good, nor did they play terrible. They got caught up in a run and gun game with a team they simply can't run and gun against. The only chance they have of making the playoffs this year is to win a bunch of tight checking games where they get stellar goaltending and make close to zero mistakes. It's possible they do that, sure. But it's impossible to sustain that on a game to game basis.

There seems to be a pretty large schism between guys who are actually playing hard and competing, and guys who just look like 9-5 workers collecting a paycheque. Contracts and cap ramifications won't allow us to ditch a handful of these passengers, but I'm hopeful that Chevy tosses aside the ones he can, and supplements the lineup with guys who can summon up the necessary testosterone when a team decides to kick it up a notch like the Pens did today. There's a handful of guys who I'm starting to question, whether they want to buy in to what Noel and this organization is preaching.

I'd like to see who you think are the passengers Hank. Who do you think is just going out and collecting their paycheque.

Old
02-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Trigger15

First time listening to the TSN 1290 post game show... Fans bringing up the double standard by coach giving veteran players a free ride on the top lines I think is bang on. Burmi makes a mistake and is thrown on the 4th line right away. And these jokers on 1290 keep saying "well Burmi was given a chance on the top lines at the start of the season" THAT WAS 30+ GAMES AGO! Give the kid another shot. Can't get any worse can it?

Old
02-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger15 View Post
And these jokers on 1290 keep saying "well Burmi was given a chance on the top lines at the start of the season" THAT WAS 30+ GAMES AGO! Give the kid another shot. Can't get any worse can it?
Actually, when Kane was first out recently with his concussion Burmistrov was put into his spot and did nothing with the opportunity. He is a young player that brings a lot to the table but also coughs the puck up with regularity. There aren't many coaches in the NHL that give top 6 ice time to young players that give away the puck that much. The NHL isn't a developmental league and puck possession/ good puck management is a job requirement.

Old
02-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Jets played okay, Penguins played better. It wasn't completely out of their grasp, but they got bonehead penalties and Pavelec gave up a few bad goals. Would it have been better to have played Chris Mason? I don't think it would have mattered. It's just one of those games.

Old
02-11-2012, 05:31 PM
bluefan

vCash: 159
Only reason Pens won was because they have more gifted scorers. That's it. Both teams know the defenses and goal tending were a joke this afternoon.

Old
02-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
I'd like to see who you think are the passengers Hank. Who do you think is just going out and collecting their paycheque.
Basically, I'm seeing alot of lead by example play from the foot soldiers (Glass, Thorburn, Slater, Stuart) and a lack of the same from guys like Buff, Ladd and Little. Moreover, I'm not sure Noel is getting through to some of the younger guys like Burmi and Kane. I'm just not seeing any maturation in their decision-making, they basically look like guys who are getting by on raw talent.

When you're relatively thin on talent like the Jets, it's imperative that you have 20 guys who play like someone stole their lunch money, and who buy into what the coach is preaching. I just haven't seen that from the Jets on a consistent enough basis. And no, I don't completely absolve Noel of blame. He's shown some questionable bench and player management, without question. I have no idea what kind of dynamic he bring to the locker room either. But as an outside observer, I think a rigid defensive-system guy like Noel is the best chance to succeed in the short term, and subsequently, he needs everyone on board. I'm not so sure he has that, to be honest.

Old
02-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Basically, I'm seeing alot of lead by example play from the foot soldiers (Glass, Thorburn, Slater, Stuart) and a lack of the same from guys like Buff, Ladd and Little. Moreover, I'm not sure Noel is getting through to some of the younger guys like Burmi and Kane. I'm just not seeing any maturation in their decision-making, they basically look like guys who are getting by on raw talent.

When you're relatively thin on talent like the Jets, it's imperative that you have 20 guys who play like someone stole their lunch money, and who buy into what the coach is preaching. I just haven't seen that from the Jets on a consistent enough basis. And no, I don't completely absolve Noel of blame. He's shown some questionable bench and player management, without question. I have no idea what kind of dynamic he bring to the locker room either. But as an outside observer, I think a rigid defensive-system guy like Noel is the best chance to succeed in the short term, and subsequently, he needs everyone on board. I'm not so sure he has that, to be honest.
That's who I was leaning towards as well and I agree with you.

At this point I really don't know if it's a disconnect with coaching or if the integral players on this team aren't getting up for the games they need to be.

Old
02-11-2012, 06:22 PM
buddyb

hey boys,

re: mittens and fehr

one thing that mittens can do is skate and handle the puck, make that two things. Fehr is certifiably terrible. And this coming from a Winklerite!

I like our team a lot. We need a few pieces (via a Kane trade) and we'll be off to the races...

cheers.

Old
02-11-2012, 06:24 PM
razorsedge

After thursdays win the universe has balanced itself today. Ho hum.

Old
02-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
That's who I was leaning towards as well and I agree with you.

At this point I really don't know if it's a disconnect with coaching or if the integral players on this team aren't getting up for the games they need to be.
Perhaps a combination of the two.

If there hasn't already been a players only meeting this season, now's the time. They haven't been playing terrible lately (or even in today's game, IMO), and the playoffs aren't quite a pipe dream. They're also approaching a very nice stretch of schedule. But there's just something about the leadership and focus of this team that seems...off.

Old
02-11-2012, 07:11 PM
FlamesThrashersJets

Last edited by Jet: 02-11-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old
02-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesThrashersJets View Post
You only put the part of the link after the =.

Let's get back to goaltending and defending next game Jets, ok?

I really don't get why Noel left Pavs in there.

Buff made a lot of people who wants to see more goals scored in hockey happy today!

Old
02-11-2012, 07:23 PM
FlamesThrashersJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
You only put the part of the link after the =.

Let's get back to goaltending and defending next game Jets, ok?

I really don't get why Noel left Pavs in there.

Buff made a lot of people who wants to see more goals scored in hockey happy today!
Thanks!

Old
02-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:

I really think they should put Kane back with Wheeler and Little. Not only because Kane has been at his best with them, and Wheeler and Kane seems to have some chemistry going (Wheeler even stated that he missed Kane when he was out), but because Little was flying on that line, something he is not doing now. I think Little is at his best when he is playing a fast paced north to south game, something that isn't quite happening when Ladd is on that line IMO.

Other than that, I agree with you. Part of the reason I think Burmi absolutely should be at the Antropov and Wellwood line is because they are the best guys at managing the puck on the team, and it looked like Antropov really tried to mentor Burmi at the beginning of the season.

Buff has really been bad Buff ever since he returned from his injury. When he is, he looks pretty uninterested on the ice.

Old
02-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Stapler somehow escaped out that mess with 1g, 1a and +2.

Old
02-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
He's quietly a good, useful utility player for the Jets.

Guys like him are doing what they have to and more, yet he sees more criticism than he should.

Guys like Ladd, Fehr, Byfuglien, Little (for big parts of the year) and even Antropov and Burmistrov to a lesser extent have been huge disappointments for me this year.

02-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
Pavs was mediocore at best that game.

Noel once again has no understanding of goalie management
This^. And it not just this game. Chris Mason should have far more starts given his play has been pretty good this season.

Old
02-11-2012, 07:56 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Surprisingly, if you prorate Stapleton's stats to an 82 game season, he'd have ~33 pts all with only 10:00 average time on ice.

Old
02-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:

If he has lost the locker room, especially leaders of the team like Ladd, Buff and Little whom are playing worse than last season. And if our best young players like Kane, Burmistrov development is stagnating, then Noel shouldn't be coaching this team.

Old
02-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Random stat: Antropov has just 5 goals in his last 40 games. Not good enough. He does some quality things, but that is unacceptable.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
02-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Daynz
What!?!

OT: On a brighter note, the Leafs/Habs game has been entertaining as hell so far.

Closed Thread