HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Well at least we scored five?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2012, 04:28 PM
  #51
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Pavelec4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 30,763
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Where do they uncover these geniuses that phone into 1290 following the games?

OMG.

They just wait for a bad loss and unload haha

__________________
Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Pavelec4MVP is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 04:32 PM
  #52
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,457
vCash: 314
I'm not really upset about this game. In fact, this might be the most ambivalent I've ever been about a loss.

Jets didn't play good, nor did they play terrible. They got caught up in a run and gun game with a team they simply can't run and gun against. The only chance they have of making the playoffs this year is to win a bunch of tight checking games where they get stellar goaltending and make close to zero mistakes. It's possible they do that, sure. But it's impossible to sustain that on a game to game basis.

There seems to be a pretty large schism between guys who are actually playing hard and competing, and guys who just look like 9-5 workers collecting a paycheque. Contracts and cap ramifications won't allow us to ditch a handful of these passengers, but I'm hopeful that Chevy tosses aside the ones he can, and supplements the lineup with guys who can summon up the necessary testosterone when a team decides to kick it up a notch like the Pens did today. There's a handful of guys who I'm starting to question, whether they want to buy in to what Noel and this organization is preaching.

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 04:34 PM
  #53
Lomac
Registered User
 
Lomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 191
vCash: 315
brutal game to watch, but CBC made it even worse with the audio/video cutting out throughout the game.

Lomac is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 04:38 PM
  #54
PaperRockChamp
Registered User
 
PaperRockChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wpg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,085
vCash: 50
We were in tough to win this one.. Reminds me of the Det game earlier in the year.

The quick 2-0 lead raised expectations maybe.

It's hard to read some posts in our threads...Just chalk it up to passion tho.

PaperRockChamp is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 04:41 PM
  #55
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I'm not really upset about this game. In fact, this might be the most ambivalent I've ever been about a loss.

Jets didn't play good, nor did they play terrible. They got caught up in a run and gun game with a team they simply can't run and gun against. The only chance they have of making the playoffs this year is to win a bunch of tight checking games where they get stellar goaltending and make close to zero mistakes. It's possible they do that, sure. But it's impossible to sustain that on a game to game basis.

There seems to be a pretty large schism between guys who are actually playing hard and competing, and guys who just look like 9-5 workers collecting a paycheque. Contracts and cap ramifications won't allow us to ditch a handful of these passengers, but I'm hopeful that Chevy tosses aside the ones he can, and supplements the lineup with guys who can summon up the necessary testosterone when a team decides to kick it up a notch like the Pens did today. There's a handful of guys who I'm starting to question, whether they want to buy in to what Noel and this organization is preaching.

I'd like to see who you think are the passengers Hank. Who do you think is just going out and collecting their paycheque.

Lynk is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 05:04 PM
  #56
Trigger15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
First time listening to the TSN 1290 post game show... Fans bringing up the double standard by coach giving veteran players a free ride on the top lines I think is bang on. Burmi makes a mistake and is thrown on the 4th line right away. And these jokers on 1290 keep saying "well Burmi was given a chance on the top lines at the start of the season" THAT WAS 30+ GAMES AGO! Give the kid another shot. Can't get any worse can it?

Trigger15 is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 05:16 PM
  #57
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,722
vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger15 View Post
And these jokers on 1290 keep saying "well Burmi was given a chance on the top lines at the start of the season" THAT WAS 30+ GAMES AGO! Give the kid another shot. Can't get any worse can it?
Actually, when Kane was first out recently with his concussion Burmistrov was put into his spot and did nothing with the opportunity. He is a young player that brings a lot to the table but also coughs the puck up with regularity. There aren't many coaches in the NHL that give top 6 ice time to young players that give away the puck that much. The NHL isn't a developmental league and puck possession/ good puck management is a job requirement.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 05:27 PM
  #58
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO
 
Reed Solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Man.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Jets played okay, Penguins played better. It wasn't completely out of their grasp, but they got bonehead penalties and Pavelec gave up a few bad goals. Would it have been better to have played Chris Mason? I don't think it would have mattered. It's just one of those games.

Reed Solomon is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 05:31 PM
  #59
bluefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 848
vCash: 159
Only reason Pens won was because they have more gifted scorers. That's it. Both teams know the defenses and goal tending were a joke this afternoon.

bluefan is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 05:45 PM
  #60
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,457
vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
I'd like to see who you think are the passengers Hank. Who do you think is just going out and collecting their paycheque.
Basically, I'm seeing alot of lead by example play from the foot soldiers (Glass, Thorburn, Slater, Stuart) and a lack of the same from guys like Buff, Ladd and Little. Moreover, I'm not sure Noel is getting through to some of the younger guys like Burmi and Kane. I'm just not seeing any maturation in their decision-making, they basically look like guys who are getting by on raw talent.

When you're relatively thin on talent like the Jets, it's imperative that you have 20 guys who play like someone stole their lunch money, and who buy into what the coach is preaching. I just haven't seen that from the Jets on a consistent enough basis. And no, I don't completely absolve Noel of blame. He's shown some questionable bench and player management, without question. I have no idea what kind of dynamic he bring to the locker room either. But as an outside observer, I think a rigid defensive-system guy like Noel is the best chance to succeed in the short term, and subsequently, he needs everyone on board. I'm not so sure he has that, to be honest.

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 05:52 PM
  #61
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Basically, I'm seeing alot of lead by example play from the foot soldiers (Glass, Thorburn, Slater, Stuart) and a lack of the same from guys like Buff, Ladd and Little. Moreover, I'm not sure Noel is getting through to some of the younger guys like Burmi and Kane. I'm just not seeing any maturation in their decision-making, they basically look like guys who are getting by on raw talent.

When you're relatively thin on talent like the Jets, it's imperative that you have 20 guys who play like someone stole their lunch money, and who buy into what the coach is preaching. I just haven't seen that from the Jets on a consistent enough basis. And no, I don't completely absolve Noel of blame. He's shown some questionable bench and player management, without question. I have no idea what kind of dynamic he bring to the locker room either. But as an outside observer, I think a rigid defensive-system guy like Noel is the best chance to succeed in the short term, and subsequently, he needs everyone on board. I'm not so sure he has that, to be honest.
That's who I was leaning towards as well and I agree with you.

At this point I really don't know if it's a disconnect with coaching or if the integral players on this team aren't getting up for the games they need to be.

Lynk is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 06:22 PM
  #62
buddyb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
hey boys,

re: mittens and fehr

one thing that mittens can do is skate and handle the puck, make that two things. Fehr is certifiably terrible. And this coming from a Winklerite!

I like our team a lot. We need a few pieces (via a Kane trade) and we'll be off to the races...

cheers.

buddyb is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 06:24 PM
  #63
razorsedge
Registered User
 
razorsedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Sask, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,586
vCash: 50
After thursdays win the universe has balanced itself today. Ho hum.

razorsedge is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 06:25 PM
  #64
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,457
vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
That's who I was leaning towards as well and I agree with you.

At this point I really don't know if it's a disconnect with coaching or if the integral players on this team aren't getting up for the games they need to be.
Perhaps a combination of the two.

If there hasn't already been a players only meeting this season, now's the time. They haven't been playing terrible lately (or even in today's game, IMO), and the playoffs aren't quite a pipe dream. They're also approaching a very nice stretch of schedule. But there's just something about the leadership and focus of this team that seems...off.

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 07:11 PM
  #65
FlamesThrashersJets
Registered User
 
FlamesThrashersJets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: GA
Country: Belarus
Posts: 45
vCash: 500


Last edited by Jet: 02-11-2012 at 07:45 PM.
FlamesThrashersJets is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 07:18 PM
  #66
Romang67
BitterSwede
 
Romang67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,952
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesThrashersJets View Post
You only put the part of the link after the =.

Let's get back to goaltending and defending next game Jets, ok?

I really don't get why Noel left Pavs in there.

Buff made a lot of people who wants to see more goals scored in hockey happy today!

Romang67 is online now  
Old
02-11-2012, 07:23 PM
  #67
FlamesThrashersJets
Registered User
 
FlamesThrashersJets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: GA
Country: Belarus
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
You only put the part of the link after the =.

Let's get back to goaltending and defending next game Jets, ok?

I really don't get why Noel left Pavs in there.

Buff made a lot of people who wants to see more goals scored in hockey happy today!
Thanks!

FlamesThrashersJets is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 07:30 PM
  #68
Romang67
BitterSwede
 
Romang67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,952
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Basically, I'm seeing alot of lead by example play from the foot soldiers (Glass, Thorburn, Slater, Stuart) and a lack of the same from guys like Buff, Ladd and Little. Moreover, I'm not sure Noel is getting through to some of the younger guys like Burmi and Kane. I'm just not seeing any maturation in their decision-making, they basically look like guys who are getting by on raw talent.

When you're relatively thin on talent like the Jets, it's imperative that you have 20 guys who play like someone stole their lunch money, and who buy into what the coach is preaching. I just haven't seen that from the Jets on a consistent enough basis. And no, I don't completely absolve Noel of blame. He's shown some questionable bench and player management, without question. I have no idea what kind of dynamic he bring to the locker room either. But as an outside observer, I think a rigid defensive-system guy like Noel is the best chance to succeed in the short term, and subsequently, he needs everyone on board. I'm not so sure he has that, to be honest.
I really think they should put Kane back with Wheeler and Little. Not only because Kane has been at his best with them, and Wheeler and Kane seems to have some chemistry going (Wheeler even stated that he missed Kane when he was out), but because Little was flying on that line, something he is not doing now. I think Little is at his best when he is playing a fast paced north to south game, something that isn't quite happening when Ladd is on that line IMO.

Other than that, I agree with you. Part of the reason I think Burmi absolutely should be at the Antropov and Wellwood line is because they are the best guys at managing the puck on the team, and it looked like Antropov really tried to mentor Burmi at the beginning of the season.

Buff has really been bad Buff ever since he returned from his injury. When he is, he looks pretty uninterested on the ice.

Romang67 is online now  
Old
02-11-2012, 07:43 PM
  #69
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes
 
Turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 50
Stapler somehow escaped out that mess with 1g, 1a and +2.

Turbofan is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 07:49 PM
  #70
Jet
Moderator
Confirmed Pav Basher
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,242
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Stapler somehow escaped out that mess with 1g, 1a and +2.
He's quietly a good, useful utility player for the Jets.

Guys like him are doing what they have to and more, yet he sees more criticism than he should.

Guys like Ladd, Fehr, Byfuglien, Little (for big parts of the year) and even Antropov and Burmistrov to a lesser extent have been huge disappointments for me this year.

__________________
The Jets rollercoaster ride is now over. Please wait for it to come to a complete stop before exiting
Jet is online now  
Old
02-11-2012, 07:54 PM
  #71
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
Pavs was mediocore at best that game.

Noel once again has no understanding of goalie management
This^. And it not just this game. Chris Mason should have far more starts given his play has been pretty good this season.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 07:56 PM
  #72
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland
 
atl thrasher344's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Stapler somehow escaped out that mess with 1g, 1a and +2.
Surprisingly, if you prorate Stapleton's stats to an 82 game season, he'd have ~33 pts all with only 10:00 average time on ice.

atl thrasher344 is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 08:04 PM
  #73
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Basically, I'm seeing alot of lead by example play from the foot soldiers (Glass, Thorburn, Slater, Stuart) and a lack of the same from guys like Buff, Ladd and Little. Moreover, I'm not sure Noel is getting through to some of the younger guys like Burmi and Kane. I'm just not seeing any maturation in their decision-making, they basically look like guys who are getting by on raw talent.

When you're relatively thin on talent like the Jets, it's imperative that you have 20 guys who play like someone stole their lunch money, and who buy into what the coach is preaching. I just haven't seen that from the Jets on a consistent enough basis. And no, I don't completely absolve Noel of blame. He's shown some questionable bench and player management, without question. I have no idea what kind of dynamic he bring to the locker room either. But as an outside observer, I think a rigid defensive-system guy like Noel is the best chance to succeed in the short term, and subsequently, he needs everyone on board. I'm not so sure he has that, to be honest.
If he has lost the locker room, especially leaders of the team like Ladd, Buff and Little whom are playing worse than last season. And if our best young players like Kane, Burmistrov development is stagnating, then Noel shouldn't be coaching this team.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 08:07 PM
  #74
Guerzy
Global Moderator
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,297
vCash: 50
Random stat: Antropov has just 5 goals in his last 40 games. Not good enough. He does some quality things, but that is unacceptable.

__________________
"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline  
Old
02-11-2012, 08:11 PM
  #75
Daynz
What!?!
 
Daynz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Downtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,961
vCash: 500
OT: On a brighter note, the Leafs/Habs game has been entertaining as hell so far.

Daynz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.